Auguries of Innocence

Auguries of Innocence

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Auguries of Innocence is the first book of poetry from Patti Smith in more than a decade. It marks a major accomplishment from a poet and performer who has inscribed her vision of our world in powerful anthems, ballads, and lyrics. In this intimate and searing collection of poems, Smith joins in that great tradition of troubadours, journeymen, wordsmiths, and artists who r...more
Published October 11th 2005 by Ecco

Mike Puma
The reason this might have deserved more like 3.5 stars will, eventually, appear in Message 1.
Kim
Feb 01, 2014 Kim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
not what I expected from my first foray into Patti Smith's poetry, but the prosey poems really stand out.
Jerman
I cant help but look at some of the work that Smith did and say, "Oh, yeah, I could do that." Not only this but have done, and better.
This poetry is kind of jumbled. Rhyme exists unnecessarily, and images are piled upon by more images tangled in their own word choice.
A little bit of "Babel" is like this, but its a better read. More density and craft, and harder core subject matter.
Roisin
Don't let 'free form' poems put you off! There is only one that is written, as is someone is ranting, without mitre or rhyme or punctuation, 'Our Jargon Muffles The Drum', which to my surprise was engaging and not dull. Mixing modern day events with her influences, one will not be bored but intrigued. If you like Blake, Rimbaud or Verlaine than you will like this collection of poetry.
Shaun
Frankly, I had a very hard time reading and understanding this particular book of poetry. Something alone the line of Naked Lunch -- also a difficult book for me. Some of her imagery is, however, astouding and very well written; for example, Birds of Iraq and Mummers Love, both among my favorite poems by her. Can't wait to read Just Kids".
Melinda
If you're a fan of her music, you will love this. Despite reading all the poems in here, I have a few favourites that I read every few days. The book feels beautiful to hold and touch as well.
Juliet
3 1/2 stars. Although not really my style (too ballad-esque), I found it strangely subconsciously inspiring. Good to read outside during early autumn.
Glenn
Patti can write great memoirs and songs. Poems, I'm not sure. At least, I couldn't find my way inside.
Lisa Bilodeau
Some of her poems are lyrical and interesting. Others were frankly confusing and did not resonate with me.
May FLower
The incredible and very dreamlike poetry of Patti Smith does not disappoint.
Swanbender2001
I enjoyed reading these poems after listening to Just Kids.
Geoffrey Deacon
He poetry has only matured and deepened over the years.
ElroyStrongjaws
Patti, I love your poetry.
Mic Mathre
Words of my soul.
SheilaRaeO
Poetry
Helene
Helene marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Tadzio
Tadzio marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Fraser Smith
Fraser Smith marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Sunita Pun magar
Sunita Pun magar marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Skai
Skai marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Julia Ji
Julia Ji marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Regina Vecchione
Regina Vecchione marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Rick Smith
Rick Smith marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Jazz
Jazz marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
  • The Madness Vase
  • Unincorporated Persons in the Late Honda Dynasty
  • The Pound Era
196092
Patti Smith (born Patricia Lee Smith on December 30, 1946) is an American singer-songwriter and poet. She was influential in the birth of the punk rock with her 1975 debut album Horses.
Called "Godmother of Punk" she integrated the beat poetry performance style with garage rock. Her allusions introduced 19th century French poetry to American teens, while her "unladylike" language defied the disco...more
More about Patti Smith...
Just Kids Woolgathering Early Work, 1970-1979 Complete The Coral Sea

“Everything here is a small offense and not of value as art or confession. It is not a whim. It is an attempt to peel another putrid skin.” 0 likes
“So be we king