Start by marking “Auguries of Innocence” as Want to Read:
Auguries of Innocence

Auguries of Innocence

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  293 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Auguries of Innocence is the first book of poetry from Patti Smith in more than a decade. It marks a major accomplishment from a poet and performer who has inscribed her vision of our world in powerful anthems, ballads, and lyrics. In this intimate and searing collection of poems, Smith joins in that great tradition of troubadours, journeymen, wordsmiths, and artists who r ...more
Published October 11th 2005 by Ecco

To ask other readers questions about Auguries of Innocence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Auguries of Innocence

Mike Puma
The reason this might have deserved more like 3.5 stars will, eventually, appear in Message 1.
Mel
I don't usually write reviews of poetry because it is so subjective. Either you like it or you don't. But I mean c'mon it's Patti Smith. I have always considered Patti more of an artist and a poet than a great singer.She is a great performer but in that venue can be hard to take at times, but she is a brilliant writer, and poet and this small book of poetry is no exception. Beautiful poems and meditations worth reading but from Patti I'd expect no less. 5 biased Patti Smith loving stars.
Hundeschlitten
The most personal of these poems, the ones that allude to Smith's children and the death of her husband, Fred Smith of the MC5, are quite excellent. The poems about the life of an artist, while a little too full of 25-cent words, are also O.K. I could take or leave the political poems, where Smith channels an Iraqi mother or a victim in the Spanish Civil War. So, it was a mixed bag for me. My favorites in this small book: "The Pride Moves Slowly" and "To His Daughter."
Stacy Fetters
The great Patti Smith writes with such deep and moving emotion. I found myself getting goosebumps while reading her poems.
If this is your first go at Patti, I would pick a different title. But, for people who have always loved such an inspirational woman then read this. Wasn't her best work but still powerful.
Greg
More well-written Blakesian poetry from Patti Smith.
Kim
Feb 01, 2014 Kim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
not what I expected from my first foray into Patti Smith's poetry, but the prosey poems really stand out.
Jerman
I cant help but look at some of the work that Smith did and say, "Oh, yeah, I could do that." Not only this but have done, and better.
This poetry is kind of jumbled. Rhyme exists unnecessarily, and images are piled upon by more images tangled in their own word choice.
A little bit of "Babel" is like this, but its a better read. More density and craft, and harder core subject matter.
Roisin
Don't let 'free form' poems put you off! There is only one that is written, as is someone is ranting, without mitre or rhyme or punctuation, 'Our Jargon Muffles The Drum', which to my surprise was engaging and not dull. Mixing modern day events with her influences, one will not be bored but intrigued. If you like Blake, Rimbaud or Verlaine than you will like this collection of poetry.
Shaun
Frankly, I had a very hard time reading and understanding this particular book of poetry. Something alone the line of Naked Lunch -- also a difficult book for me. Some of her imagery is, however, astouding and very well written; for example, Birds of Iraq and Mummers Love, both among my favorite poems by her. Can't wait to read Just Kids".
Melinda
If you're a fan of her music, you will love this. Despite reading all the poems in here, I have a few favourites that I read every few days. The book feels beautiful to hold and touch as well.
Juliet
3 1/2 stars. Although not really my style (too ballad-esque), I found it strangely subconsciously inspiring. Good to read outside during early autumn.
Glenn
Patti can write great memoirs and songs. Poems, I'm not sure. At least, I couldn't find my way inside.
Lisa Bilodeau
Some of her poems are lyrical and interesting. Others were frankly confusing and did not resonate with me.
May FLower
The incredible and very dreamlike poetry of Patti Smith does not disappoint.
Swanbender2001
I enjoyed reading these poems after listening to Just Kids.
Geoffrey Deacon
He poetry has only matured and deepened over the years.
ElroyStrongjaws
Patti, I love your poetry.
Mic Mathre
Words of my soul.
SheilaRaeO
Poetry
Mira
Mira marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Caroline Larsen
Caroline Larsen marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Aslıhan
Aslıhan marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
MIMOUNI
MIMOUNI marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
  • The Happy Birthday of Death
  • Honey and Salt
  • Not Me (Semiotext(e) / Native Agents)
  • From Finland With Love / Suomesta, rakkaudella
  • Thérèse et Isabelle
  • Ted Hughes: Poems Selected by Simon Armitage
  • Luonnon laki
196092
Patti Smith (born Patricia Lee Smith on December 30, 1946) is an American singer-songwriter and poet. She was influential in the birth of the punk rock with her 1975 debut album Horses.
Called "Godmother of Punk" she integrated the beat poetry performance style with garage rock. Her allusions introduced 19th century French poetry to American teens, while her "unladylike" language defied the disco
More about Patti Smith...
Just Kids Woolgathering Early Work, 1970-1979 The Coral Sea Complete

“So be we king
or be we bum
the reed still whistles
the heart still hums”
1 likes
“Everything here is a small offense and not of value as art or confession. It is not a whim. It is an attempt to peel another putrid skin.” 0 likes