Start by marking “The Revised Standard Version Catholic Bible: Reader's Version” as Want to Read:
The Revised Standard Version Catholic Bible: Reader's Version

The Revised Standard Version Catholic Bible: Reader's Version

4.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,723 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
The Revised Standard Version Catholic Bible's New Testament appeared in 1965, and the whole Bible was published the following year. The RSV remains the translation used in official Church documents, and served as the basis for the scriptural text used in the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
The Reader's Edition is perfect for anyone needing a straightforward text Bible, w
Leather Bound, 1253 pages
Published December 15th 2006 by Oxford University Press (first published June 1st 1972)

K.D. Absolutely
Final Review

So, this is it. Today, I finished reading the Holy Bible. Cover to cover. I spent a total of 20 months reading all the 66 books. I read almost everyday save from those days when I did not feel like it. Most of those days were during the time that I felt disillusioned or uninspired. I started reading this in 2010 with a group of friends but they stopped one after the other so I was left without reading buddies.

Was it worth the time? DEFINITELY YES. I now feel closer to God. I am happy
Charissa
Jan 14, 2008 Charissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: most
Recommended to Charissa by: My grandmother, the Jehovah's Witness
Shelves: weltanschauung
I laughed, I cried, it became a part of me.

Okay, not really. This book has left me largely untouched in any substantial way, except for the times it had caused me to shout out uncontrollably, "WHAT The FUCK??!! Are you KIDDING ME??!!!" Such as:

Jephthah made a vow to the Lord: "If you give the Ammonites into my hands, whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return ... will be the Lord's, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering..." and the Lord gave them into his hands....
Turaaa
I want to address some of the recurring comments about the bible that I find quite odd.

"This is the word of god!" -
As a secular person I don't believe that; I believe that the bible is mythology that is largely based on historical events and is one of the most influential documents on western civilization.

"Authors seem to change between books, inconsistent narrative" -
Yes, the bible is a series of many separate books, written by different people, hundreds of years apart.

"The book is Racist, Sexi
Steve Flanagan
Jan 10, 2008 Steve Flanagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Shelves: faith
The book of Truth, Wisdom, and Everlasting Life. It only took me 7 years to read it (1997-2003). If you read it, start & finish with the Gospels. These verses have strengthened my faith, given me the courage to walk through valleys of shadow & death, and kept my hand steady in battle. Here are some of my favorite verses:

"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, Lord, for you are with me. Your shepherd’s rod and staff protect me." Psalm 23:4

“Then I hear
Books Ring Mah Bell
Aug 17, 2009 Books Ring Mah Bell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Books Ring Mah Bell by: my old roommate...
Shelves: religion-or-not
If my ticket to Hell was not already a given, the following review would surely set me up for eternal flames.

Growing up, the only exposure I had to anything biblical was the reading of Psalm 23 at every funeral and Corinthians at every wedding. (including my own. I married a nice Catholic boy) My first bible reading occurred when I was maybe 12, when this nice guy handed me a Gideons Bible as I was walking to school. That night, I read Revelations under my blanket with a flashlight. I proceeded
Aaron Crofut
It doesn't matter what your beliefs are, the Bible is a key to understanding Western Civilization. While some aspects are dry, this book contains a ridiculous number of amazing stories that have had profound impacts on all of literature. This book also provides a decent historical account of the holy land during the kingdoms of Israel and of Judah.
Marian
Jan 06, 2008 Marian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I have been reading the Bible for going on 2 years with a study group that meets every week. Fascinating reading. although the Bible is not something you can pick up and understand on your own (you might quit reading after all those begettings). It requires guidance and assistance in its interpretation to understanding its meaning. Powerful, thought provoking, life changing. The bible has it all, stories of every imaginable sin and the sinners who committed them to be an example for us to learn ...more
Marfita
Oct 02, 2010 Marfita rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion-atheism
I've been working on this for a few months - a little bit each night, absorbing it as I go. I remember being really annoyed at parts I read as a teen and a proto-feminist. This time I started with the NewT and went back for the Old Testament. I was delighted to find a typo in my edition, someone's son who became king at 49 when his father died at 42 or some such. It was easy to check because the histories are duplicative (and I can't express what a pain it was to read the same info over and over ...more
Julia
Apr 22, 2016 Julia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This edition includes the Old and New Testaments plus introductions, and appendices, maps, study guides, etc.

Genesis & Exodus: stories of a backward and superstitious tribe of shepherds ruled by systematic xenophobia to the point of incest, paranoia, and fratricide. Not to mention all the core systemic misogyny.

Leviticus: the laws laid out by Moses. There is not (that I know of) a sect practicing today that still follows all of these laws to the letter, and that's a good thing.

Numbers: censu
Derek
Dec 01, 2013 Derek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Probably the best book you've never read!"

There is not enough space to say all that should be said about this - the greatest book ever published. It is one of the primary reasons the discovery of the printing press even occurred. The world has been transformed by the Bible. It can go along way to providing all the answers to the world's problems - if only the world would use it. Alas, it is frequently misquoted by being taken out of context. It has been criticized by probably millions of people
Benji
I read the Authorised Version (KJV) now because it is is more poetic and pithy and because language has become dumbed down so far beneath the RSV now anyway that one may as well go the whole hog.

For study I read the NRSV with Anglicized text (note 'Anglicised' spelled with a 'z')because it is the more accurate translation using the latest sources (e.g. Qm'ran texts) and seems to be fairly well established. It does have an element of "inclusivity" going on which I question sometimes and think tha
Vikram Kumar
Jul 02, 2013 Vikram Kumar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read Book of Job, Genesis, Ecclesiastes, Judges, Kings, and Exodus of the Hebrew Bible. Read Matthew, Luke, John, and Romans of the New Testament.
Mary Ronan Drew
Aug 26, 2011 Mary Ronan Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some 20-odd years of reading the King James version has spoiled me for any other, no matter how much more accurate or "readable."
David Rose
Sep 13, 2014 David Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: want-to-re-read
Too many reviews already, so I'll keep this short.

This translation is my choice for personal devotions, and I have used my RSV continuously for the last 35 years (it has a good quality binding).
The reason for making this my devotional Bible is that it retains the beauty of the Authorised Version (King James) language while modernising it just enough for me to be comfortable with it.

It remains a supplementary choice for Bible study because of how often the translators, in my opinion, succeeded in
Dina (ReviewTime)
About the binding & cover
This hard backed edition is very sturdy, and durable. The cover is constructed from binders boards covered with coated paper. The cover is stiff, durable, and moisture- resistant. The pages are sewn not glued, which greatly adds to the durability. This Bible is made from high quality materials, and is meant to hold up to regular use.

What’s inside?
Oxford Bibles are printed on high quality lightweight paper chosen for its strength and opacity to gain the greatest reada
Brenda Surin
I started reading the Bible when I was 5 years old - random readings. I was a 'born again' Christian by the age of 15 years old. Then as a young adult, I started studying the Bible via church leaders and scholars. I participated fully in church and church related activities. Took many courses from seminaries and bible schools. Then in my thirties, I found the need to read the Bible without outside influence. So, I read it cover to cover -- Gen. 1:1 to Rev. 22:21 -- six times from 1980 to 1986. I ...more
Heather
My husband and I finished a "read-the-entire-Bible-in-a-year" plan yesterday. We read the Revised Standard Version, published by the American Bible Society in 1971 (not the Catholic edition--at least, the books that Catholics usually include were not in this one). The copy was given to my Dad when he was in Officer Candidate School in the U. S. Navy. Not only did it have sentimental value, but it was compact enough to carry around.

We started the journey reading at night before going to sleep, wh
Hailey
Apr 14, 2014 Hailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I have not read the entire Bible yet, I have read the books of Genesis and Exodus. I loved the book of Genesis because it sets up the beginning of life. One thing I found very interesting was how sin came into the world and the consequences from Adam and Eve's decision to eat from the tree of life. I was very intrigued to find out how and why everything was made as well. Which was what kept me so knee-deep into the book. Now the book of Exodus on the other hand was mostly listing who wa ...more
Bob
Dec 10, 2013 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
June 17, 1962, I was given a Holy Bible on my Confirmation. I just finished it! (lol) Good book really and much to digest. It followed me from home to home and shelf to shelf for over 50 years, and waited patiently. As a result probably of the first New Year’s resolution I’ve ever kept I read it in 2013 following one of those guides I took off the internet. I kept some good reference type companion books near at hand which helped make sense of it all (except Syria; Syrians’ national pastime seem ...more
Jean Hall
Apr 10, 2015 Jean Hall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
I read the entire Bible, both the Old and the New Testament. For modern eyes the New Testament is easier to see in focus. If you are new to Christianity the gospel of John is a good place to start. I like Psalms the best. I have a music background so the rhythm of the songs are sweet. The harsh judgements and strange predictions of the Old Testament are confusing. I don't pretend to understand all of its complexity or ancient cultural tradition. The New Testament is also hard for any one person ...more
Tony
Aug 11, 2015 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I teach out of the King James, The RSV is my favorite version to read
STEEL99
Feb 29, 2016 STEEL99 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quintessential for all Christians: die-hard and aspiring.
Donna
Nov 05, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All persons
Recommended to Donna by: Confirmation class
We are offering a Bible study on Tuesdays to some friends who have requested study of this most unique book.

Although I have read the Bible more than one time--and many books in the Bible several times, we are starting at the beginning in Genesis to understand the foundation upon which Jesus Christ, our Lord based his own life and gave himself to us to save us from the evil within us and around us. We are grateful that we are able to be given faith in order to journey with Him.

Everyone in the wor
Ron
I received this book from Hancock Congregational Church in Lexington, Massachusetts when I was eight years old.

This is the first version of the Bible I read cover-to-cover. The historic portions of the Old Testament make a lot more sense read in order. Psalms and Prophecy is still pretty much all over the map. I was surprised how events in the gospels and Acts could be followed on the Maps. (I didn't realize the significance of that then.)

I was 13, and still looking for the truth.

An essential re
Jonathan Huggins
Jul 15, 2014 Jonathan Huggins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Bible professor told me that this translation was viewed as a sort of "high falutin" form of English, intended for a more educated English class of people. It does seem that way in parts. It is also more of a dynamic translation than a verbal one. However I think it reads beautifully and lucidly in many places. It is an amazing ecumenical effort at a common English translation. I believe C. H. Dodd was associated with its predecessor, the NEB. I am enjoying it because it helps to hear the bibl ...more
Laura Jean
I have heard told that the RSV is the most faithful to the original Greek and Hebrew texts. This book is quite the mish-mash of literature, poetry, historical chronicle, theological treatise, and surrealism. I don't know if the moniker "Holy" applies, but it is certainly a Bible, in the sense that here you will find multiple books, by multiple authors, from multiple centuries. A must-read for understanding many allusions in western literature, and chock-a-block full of aphoristic gems.
Warren Bittner
I got this translation of the Bible a little over a year ago. It is a very readable, clear, and direct presentation of the original text. I can't put it down.
EJ
Mar 25, 2013 EJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
The Bible is the foundation of western culture and tradition...without knowledge of its contents, western education is incomplete. This is more than a religious story, it is our story and should be read by every Christian (that goes without saying), but by every thinking person alive. The RSV Ignatius is the version that is recommended by the Vatican for all Catholics.
Meg2
May 26, 2007 Meg2 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I keep picking it up and putting it down. I read chapters here and there, but I truly am determined to finish the entire thing. I find it fascinating from both a religious and purely literary perspective. I have to say, I'm lame, The Book of Revelations is my favorite, but who doesn't love fire, brimstone, ghastly beasts and whores? It sounds like a Stephen King novel!!!
Craig Soto
Feb 25, 2013 Craig Soto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This bible is great. It has headings and has all of what Jesus says in the red letter format. It has maps, great pictures, and all the Sunday readings listed at the end of the bible! Great for meditating on scripture (I use this bible when I do Lectio Divina). This bible does lack cross references at the bottom however. Still a great Bible to have.
  • Ignatius Catholic Study Bible: New Testament
  • Catholicism and Fundamentalism
  • The Way of Perfection
  • By What Authority? An Evangelical Discovers Catholic Tradition
  • The Better Part: A Christ-Centered Resource for Personal Prayer
  • Render Unto Caesar: Serving the Nation by Living our Catholic Beliefs in Political Life
  • The Oxford Companion to the Bible
  • Triumph: The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...