Start by marking “Hey, Wait...” as Want to Read:
Hey, Wait...

Hey, Wait...

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  2,149 ratings  ·  107 reviews

One of Europe's most exciting young cartoonists makes his American debut. This superbly evocative graphic novella by the award-winning Norwegian cartoonist Jason (his first appearance in the English language) starts off as a melancholy childhood memoir and then, with a shocking twist midway through, becomes the summary of lives lived, wasted, and lost. Like Art Spiegelman

Published April 1st 2005 by Fantagraphics Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Hey, Wait..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hey, Wait...

matt
Is it wrong to not want to recommend a book just because it is so sad? I really loved the powerful expression achieved with such simple drawings, but I kinda never want to look at it again.....
Graham Faught
Super fast read and yet it was something I thought and thought about for hours and even days after. You wouldn't think a graphic novel could bring to mind one's desire to do something more than just breeze through life and yet this one did for me. You'll finish it in no time and yet it sticks to the back of your mind. It definitely still has for me and for that I would suggest giving it a read through in hopes that it does the same for you.
Sam Quixote
This is one of Jason's earliest graphic novels and could arguably be his best. It starts with two friends who go through the usual childhood antics of playing football, playing computer games, slowly noticing girls, and being bored in school. Then a tragedy occurs with one of the friends being killed. The surviving friend is haunted by this event and Part 2 opens with him grown up, divorced, working a job he hates, and increasingly becoming dependent on alcohol.

It's a portrait of trauma painted
Pierre
This is the epitome of the graphic novel as a literary work of art.
Jason shows amazing skill as he tells a deeply moving and touching story without a single word and with characters whose facial expressions are also very limited.
He exploits the language of the drawing and the panels masterfully to convey deep feelings and emotions.
Remarkable in all ways!!
Anthony Vacca
Jason's debut graphic novel. A short and bittersweet rumination on childhood and loss, and then the awfulness of growing old, having a shit job, and being forever alone. Add a peppering of visual tricks and a slight salting of (uncharacteristic)surreal storytelling, and you've got a pretty good first book.
Michael
Der Norweger Jason erzählt die Geschichte der Freundschaft zwischen Jon und Björn, die mit einem schrecklichen Unfall endet, der die Kindheit ausläutet und Jon mit Schuldgefühlen und Trauer beladen zurück läßt. Mit großer Ökonomie und Zurückhaltung in Text und Bild vermittelt Jason im ersten Teil des Buches das, was ich als die Quintessenz der Kindheit bezeichnen möchte und was selten so fassbar darzustellen glückt. Durch die Stimmigkeit der Details und der archetypischen Szenen habe ich mich re ...more
Lilburninbean
The beginning of this book had me thinking that this might just be a stock re-telling of boyhood friends with unchecked sexism and moments of kind-of-funny stuff. (The funniest part of this to me was that every now and then I would remind myself that these characters were animals, and I’d become aware of my willingness to suspend disbelief.) It took a really unexpected turn, which was great, as I love to be surprised by plots. It was enough to hold my interest, but I was underwhelmed by the endi ...more
Michelle
Mike Raymond
Hey, Wait... is about too boys that are best friends that love to go on adventures with each other. But one day they go to a ledge and one of the boys falls of the ledge and dies. It then shows the other boy later in his life living pretty miserably actually. This book was very good but it was sad too, I would highly recommend it
Aj
I really like this book, it almost feels as if you can relate it to your life in a way. One kid and his friend start a club and to get in you have to do something dangerous but what happens is one kid doesn't make it and well you will find out if you read it.
Leif
It's not a mistake until you devote your life to making it one: Jason writes out a brief but no less resonant story of melancholia and emotional wasting away. Comparisons with Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth might seem almost inevitable, but shouldn't be too quickly made: where the latter is elegantly depicted and complexly drawn (in both narrative and graphic senses), the blocky, thick lines in which Hey, Wait... is drawn gesture toward its own simplicity of affect and resulting clari ...more
Zena V.
Hmm, I dunno. I think after reading Chris Ware and Daniel Clowes, other comics that do this same sort of thing with normalcy and tragedy, depression and rot that this didn't really do much for me. I can sometimes appreciate comic books about the mundane or about growing up, and tragedies that change our directions, etc. but this was almost too blank. It gets 2 stars because it wasn't bad, but I don't know if I actually liked it.
David
Not quite as moving as the back cover suggests but still does a great job of evoking how beautiful childhood is and how much comfort and joy can be found in our relationships during that time. Also a powerful reminder of how easy it becomes to dishonor the dreams that made that time special in our adult lives.
Adam
where minimal text = good, but at a cost; one moves thru too quickly. favorable art styling. lovely useage of newspaper text in word bubbles to convey conversations about stocks, sports. decent enough story about growing up, accidents, regrets. not as gripping as hipster media reviews would have you believe.
Diana Dams
A very sad, but beautifully told story of the fragility of human life and human emotions. The power this book has and the simplicity in which it is told is truly astounding. It's one of those books that makes you reasses your life, put things into perspective, and appreciate each moment.
David Church
Wow…deeply moving. Subtle and brilliant love the stuff Jason does.
Elif
I guess I'm in love with Jason
Dave Riley
This has to be one of the most shocking graphic novels I've read because it charts a brutal emptiness and logs the depths of depression. In a sense the Hey, Wait... refers to a call not to suicide , least not yet.

Jason reminds us -- tragically -- that death haunts us all and from his POV, you just have to make do with the moments you get offered, no matter hoiw small.

Norwegian, right? and there's an impression here that Jason is a comic version of Edvard Munch. Albeit, more laid back.Acerbic.
Aditya Mani
Jason is the unsung hero of the comics world. Franco-Belgian comics really caught on only after the Tintin phenomenon, but Jason is not just another doodler with a Hergé hangover. His characters are anthropomorphic, and not in a cutesy way. Pterodactyls and sea monsters rub shoulders with humans in Jason's world, without anyone batting an eyelid. A deep-seated existential dilemma is often the focus of his stories, and Hey Wait is not exception. When a childhood accident hangs heavy on Jon's cons ...more
Jigar Brahmbhatt
The "void" is rarely portrayed so well in works of art. With void, I mean the chasm of deep emptiness that is always around as we pass through this life. A small, casual, thoughtless mistake and it is ready to devour you. Actually, it doesn't even have to be a mistake.

It is interesting and disturbing how life bifurcates into illuminating possibilities when you are young and how the different branches eventually merge into this singular reality one is seldom happy with. This graphic novel is the
Dave-O
Jason's comic coming-of-age story has many gems. His simplistic style and steady pacing with the use of the same comic panels on every page forge a universe made of a very personal visual language. The lines between adulthood and childhood are clearly drawn (so to speak): adults are tired, working-class that rarely smile as they tread the streets on stilts; the two kids in the story have boundless imagination and their world is populated by undead bullies and comic monsters.

The second part does
Dewi
Novel grafis ini terdiri dari dua bagian. Bagian pertama bercerita tentang kisah dua orang sahabat. Ada dua karakter berbentuk kelinci putih dan anjing hitam. Meski mereka berbeda namun keakraban tidak terelakkan.
Bagian kedua menceritakan kisah tokoh anjing hitam tanpa sahabatnya. Ia beranjak dewasa, menjalani hidup yang monoton dan dihantui rasa bersalah pada masa lalunya.
Sowmya
Small book, capable of having long lasting effect!
I already started his "Low Moon" now. I wonder if I should recommend this to someone - its a great book...not a "nice" one. Dark and depressing - images look innocent - its the deception of darkness. Read at your own risk.
Cooper Mccay
Jan
Jason's uncanny ability to set a mood or illuminate a character's inner life by depicting a few seemingly insignificant moments reaches the pinnacle of its potential here, and it is supported by astonishing page compositions that make you pause to let the sheer magic of storytelling sink in.
Jackson Nieuwland
This is Jason’s most emotional book. I don’t mean that in a good or bad way although the book is definitely good. It has a strong sense of nostalgia and truth. The book feels so true as to be autobiographical although I have no idea if that is indeed the case. The story is told in scenes which are as beautifully balanced as most of Jason’s work but are stripped of most of the humour (although a few surreal moments still occur and there are a couple of nice little visual plays). The black and whi ...more
Will
Jason’s Hey, Wait... is short, simple, sad. I originally didn’t like the reviews of high praise, but it’s truly a text that gives as much as you put into it. The art style is clean, and subtle. The light dialogue draws you into reading the pictures. Defamiliarizing human expression with an anthropomorphic cast goes a ways in communicating the pervasive melancholy of Hey, Wait...

It’s tragic, but may hold some significance for those who feel they’re doing penance for wrongs committed in a former l
Amanda
Hey, Wait... starts out to be a boring story about a typical summer vacation of two young boys. The two find activities and constantly fight boredom. The story of the two boys takes a dark twist, leaving the reader haunted. On the surface, one may find this book to be cutsie and lighthearted do to the non-symbolic animal characters. However, underneath the surface there is a dark nightmarish vibe. One thing I found particularly interesting that instead of driving cars in the morning commute to w ...more
Jason
I think this novel is great. It gets you right where you're unexpected and has a great sense of pause and editing. The scatterbrain jump from scene-to-scene does much to invoke a feeling of nonsense, trying to find a plot. When the plot jumps at you, it is very sharp and unexpected. The rest of the novel reads like a typical Jason novel, him being hunted by Death in some form. That's why it misses the fifth star, the ending seems a bit too hurried. But the build-up is ecstatically sad, i mean it ...more
Emily
Jason's use of simple images with little text threw me into the visual experience of the story. Human generosity and compassion, markedly different from the trope of self-absorbed sob story, are pierced by an abrupt onset of tragic circumstances. There isn't extensive develpment of characters or the story, but what is there is simple, and just fine.

This is worth a read if you like the visual style of Tintin (ligne claire), the emotional gravity of Paul Hornschemeier or Dash Shaw, or just want t
  • I Never Liked You
  • It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken: A Picture Novella
  • Sleepwalk and Other Stories
  • Lucky
  • Goliath
  • Good-Bye
John Arne Sæterøy (born 16 May 1965 in Molde), better known by the pen name Jason, is a Norwegian cartoonist, known for his sparse drawing style and silent, anthropomorphic animal characters.

He has been nominated for two Ignatz Awards (2000: Outstanding Story and Outstanding Series, 2001: Outstanding Story and Outstanding Series), has received praise in Time, and won the Harvey Award for best new
More about Jason...
I Killed Adolf Hitler Low Moon Why Are You Doing This? The Left Bank Gang The Living and the Dead