Start by marking “Hey, Wait...” as Want to Read:
Hey, Wait...

Hey, Wait...

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  2,322 ratings  ·  124 reviews

One of Europe's most exciting young cartoonists makes his American debut. This superbly evocative graphic novella by the award-winning Norwegian cartoonist Jason (his first appearance in the English language) starts off as a melancholy childhood memoir and then, with a shocking twist midway through, becomes the summary of lives lived, wasted, and lost. Like Art Spiegelman

Published April 1st 2005 by Fantagraphics Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Hey, Wait..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hey, Wait...

matt
Is it wrong to not want to recommend a book just because it is so sad? I really loved the powerful expression achieved with such simple drawings, but I kinda never want to look at it again.....
Graham Faught
Super fast read and yet it was something I thought and thought about for hours and even days after. You wouldn't think a graphic novel could bring to mind one's desire to do something more than just breeze through life and yet this one did for me. You'll finish it in no time and yet it sticks to the back of your mind. It definitely still has for me and for that I would suggest giving it a read through in hopes that it does the same for you.
Sam Quixote
This is one of Jason's earliest graphic novels and could arguably be his best. It starts with two friends who go through the usual childhood antics of playing football, playing computer games, slowly noticing girls, and being bored in school. Then a tragedy occurs with one of the friends being killed. The surviving friend is haunted by this event and Part 2 opens with him grown up, divorced, working a job he hates, and increasingly becoming dependent on alcohol.

It's a portrait of trauma painted
Pierre
This is the epitome of the graphic novel as a literary work of art.
Jason shows amazing skill as he tells a deeply moving and touching story without a single word and with characters whose facial expressions are also very limited.
He exploits the language of the drawing and the panels masterfully to convey deep feelings and emotions.
Remarkable in all ways!!
Anthony Vacca
Jason's debut graphic novel. A short and bittersweet rumination on childhood and loss, and then the awfulness of growing old, having a shit job, and being forever alone. Add a peppering of visual tricks and a slight salting of (uncharacteristic)surreal storytelling, and you've got a pretty good first book.
Michael
Der Norweger Jason erzählt die Geschichte der Freundschaft zwischen Jon und Björn, die mit einem schrecklichen Unfall endet, der die Kindheit ausläutet und Jon mit Schuldgefühlen und Trauer beladen zurück läßt. Mit großer Ökonomie und Zurückhaltung in Text und Bild vermittelt Jason im ersten Teil des Buches das, was ich als die Quintessenz der Kindheit bezeichnen möchte und was selten so fassbar darzustellen glückt. Durch die Stimmigkeit der Details und der archetypischen Szenen habe ich mich re ...more
Lilburninbean
The beginning of this book had me thinking that this might just be a stock re-telling of boyhood friends with unchecked sexism and moments of kind-of-funny stuff. (The funniest part of this to me was that every now and then I would remind myself that these characters were animals, and I’d become aware of my willingness to suspend disbelief.) It took a really unexpected turn, which was great, as I love to be surprised by plots. It was enough to hold my interest, but I was underwhelmed by the endi ...more
Michelle
Mike Raymond
Hey, Wait... is about too boys that are best friends that love to go on adventures with each other. But one day they go to a ledge and one of the boys falls of the ledge and dies. It then shows the other boy later in his life living pretty miserably actually. This book was very good but it was sad too, I would highly recommend it
Aj
I really like this book, it almost feels as if you can relate it to your life in a way. One kid and his friend start a club and to get in you have to do something dangerous but what happens is one kid doesn't make it and well you will find out if you read it.
Concertina
No sé como sentirme al respecto con este autor, su serie de cómics son muy melancólicos y te dejan con un sabor bastante amargo, y no porque sean malos si no porque sus personajes te llenan de soledad. No pondré toda la colección, porque son muchos.
Leonardo
Uf! Al principio pensé que no me estaba gustando. Pero es muy bueno, me parece que mejor que el de de matar a Hitler.
Juanchi Maffeo
Este flaco es un animal. Con solo un cuadro sin dialogo puede decirte más que mil palabras. Su silencio tiene acción
El Marcapaginas
Sentido, triste y genial. Con unos dibujos dignos de Maus y con un guión duro pero que hace cosquillas en el pecho.
Leif
It's not a mistake until you devote your life to making it one: Jason writes out a brief but no less resonant story of melancholia and emotional wasting away. Comparisons with Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth might seem almost inevitable, but shouldn't be too quickly made: where the latter is elegantly depicted and complexly drawn (in both narrative and graphic senses), the blocky, thick lines in which Hey, Wait... is drawn gesture toward its own simplicity of affect and resulting clari ...more
Zena V.
Hmm, I dunno. I think after reading Chris Ware and Daniel Clowes, other comics that do this same sort of thing with normalcy and tragedy, depression and rot that this didn't really do much for me. I can sometimes appreciate comic books about the mundane or about growing up, and tragedies that change our directions, etc. but this was almost too blank. It gets 2 stars because it wasn't bad, but I don't know if I actually liked it.
Jan
Norwegian cartoonist Jason is the undisputed master of melancholia, and his uncanny ability to develop mood or illuminate a character's inner life by putting the spotlight on a few seemingly insignificant moments reaches the pinnacle of its potential here. The result is a story that captures feelings of regret and sorrow to absolutely devastating effect. Pure magic!
David
Not quite as moving as the back cover suggests but still does a great job of evoking how beautiful childhood is and how much comfort and joy can be found in our relationships during that time. Also a powerful reminder of how easy it becomes to dishonor the dreams that made that time special in our adult lives.
Adam
where minimal text = good, but at a cost; one moves thru too quickly. favorable art styling. lovely useage of newspaper text in word bubbles to convey conversations about stocks, sports. decent enough story about growing up, accidents, regrets. not as gripping as hipster media reviews would have you believe.
Diana Dams
A very sad, but beautifully told story of the fragility of human life and human emotions. The power this book has and the simplicity in which it is told is truly astounding. It's one of those books that makes you reasses your life, put things into perspective, and appreciate each moment.
David Church
Wow…deeply moving. Subtle and brilliant love the stuff Jason does.
Elif
I guess I'm in love with Jason
Max Coombes
in the seminal understanding comics, scott mccloud attempted to make the case for 'comics as art' by defining and differentiating them as a distinct category of expression somewhere between written word and pictorial representation. naturally comic artists everywhere were offended by mccloud's perceived need to 'justify' their field, and some attempted to challenge mccloud's definitions using the comic medium itself. of all of these comic-critiques, jason's are some of the most playful as rather ...more
Dave Riley
This has to be one of the most shocking graphic novels I've read because it charts a brutal emptiness and logs the depths of depression. In a sense the Hey, Wait... refers to a call not to suicide , least not yet.

Jason reminds us -- tragically -- that death haunts us all and from his POV, you just have to make do with the moments you get offered, no matter hoiw small.

Norwegian, right? and there's an impression here that Jason is a comic version of Edvard Munch. Albeit, more laid back.Acerbic.
Aditya Mani
Jason is the unsung hero of the comics world. Franco-Belgian comics really caught on only after the Tintin phenomenon, but Jason is not just another doodler with a Hergé hangover. His characters are anthropomorphic, and not in a cutesy way. Pterodactyls and sea monsters rub shoulders with humans in Jason's world, without anyone batting an eyelid. A deep-seated existential dilemma is often the focus of his stories, and Hey Wait is not exception. When a childhood accident hangs heavy on Jon's cons ...more
Jigar Brahmbhatt
The "void" is rarely portrayed so well in works of art. With void, I mean the chasm of deep emptiness that is always around as we pass through this life. A small, casual, thoughtless mistake and it is ready to devour you. Actually, it doesn't even have to be a mistake.

It is interesting and disturbing how life bifurcates into illuminating possibilities when you are young and how the different branches eventually merge into this singular reality one is seldom happy with. This graphic novel is the
Dave-O
Jason's comic coming-of-age story has many gems. His simplistic style and steady pacing with the use of the same comic panels on every page forge a universe made of a very personal visual language. The lines between adulthood and childhood are clearly drawn (so to speak): adults are tired, working-class that rarely smile as they tread the streets on stilts; the two kids in the story have boundless imagination and their world is populated by undead bullies and comic monsters.

The second part does
Sowmya
Small book, capable of having long lasting effect!
I already started his "Low Moon" now. I wonder if I should recommend this to someone - its a great book...not a "nice" one. Dark and depressing - images look innocent - its the deception of darkness. Read at your own risk.
Cooper Mccay
Jackson Nieuwland
This is Jason’s most emotional book. I don’t mean that in a good or bad way although the book is definitely good. It has a strong sense of nostalgia and truth. The book feels so true as to be autobiographical although I have no idea if that is indeed the case. The story is told in scenes which are as beautifully balanced as most of Jason’s work but are stripped of most of the humour (although a few surreal moments still occur and there are a couple of nice little visual plays). The black and whi ...more
  • Isle of 100,000 Graves
  • Three Shadows
  • Mother, Come Home
  • Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron
  • Duncan the Wonder Dog: Show One
John Arne Sæterøy (born 16 May 1965 in Molde), better known by the pen name Jason, is a Norwegian cartoonist, known for his sparse drawing style and silent, anthropomorphic animal characters.

He has been nominated for two Ignatz Awards (2000: Outstanding Story and Outstanding Series, 2001: Outstanding Story and Outstanding Series), has received praise in Time, and won the Harvey Award for best new
More about Jason...
I Killed Adolf Hitler Low Moon Why Are You Doing This? The Left Bank Gang The Living and the Dead