Start by marking “The Ragged Man (Twilight Reign, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Ragged Man (Twilight Reign, #4)

The Ragged Man (Twilight Reign #4)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  554 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Continuing the powerful epic that started with 'The Stormcaller'; the Lord Isak is dead, his armies and entire tribe in disarray. It falls to King Emin to continue the war alone, and the Menin are only too happy to meet his challenge.
Published August 19th 2010 by Gollancz (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Ragged Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ragged Man

James
I felt about the same with this book as I did with the last one. This series has so much unused potential that it drives me crazy! The setting is potentially awesome, so many of the characters are set up to be really interesting (if they ever did anything noteworthy), and the plot crawls when it could tear away from the rest of the crowd and be miles ahead. But it doesn't. Instead it's just okay.

It needs more explanation of the important stuff and way less of what is just fluff. I don't know wha
Luke Van Wegen
Lloyd continues his detailed action filled format where powerful yet flawed 'anti-heroes' stalk the pages leaving the reader constantly shifting alliances.
The Ragged Man takes up immediately after the shattering conclusion of The Grave Thief. The 'What has gone before', and invaluable opening to all Lloyd's novels. As in the previous novels, Lloyd spins a complex web of intregue that captures the reader within there own ideas and assumptions, before jerking the strands together in the final pag
Nels Paulson
This epic continues with a narrowing to only 6 or 7 plots flowing through the series. Lloyd paints a confusing picture in his world that manages at each turn to throw another unexpected twist into the fold. None of them seem to have been done simply to throw another wrench in the system either. Each twist by the end starts adding a little clarity to what is happening in the world. While finally I can say I know who some of the good and the bad are, I as of yet only have theories as to how some p ...more
Noelle
Great book - very well written; I read the last half in less than a day. I simply could not stop. Can't wait till the Dusk Watchman comes out!
Reader73
Best in the series so far!
Stretch's Books
"The Ragged Man" is book four of Tom Lloyd "The Twilight Reign" series. It is also, by far, the best book of the series so far. The action in "The Ragged Man" picks up much faster than the previous three, and manages to hold the momentum all the way through. While "The Grave Thief" was slow to get going, as was "The Twilight Herald", book two, "The Ragged Man" thankfully does not suffer from that pitfall. Making the read much easier and a lot more fun.

In this installment of the series we final
Pavlo Tverdokhlib
"Grave Thief" was the book that took the series from "this may have some promise" to "hey, this is actually pretty good" territory. "Ragged Man" makes that go to "Damn, this is good!"

Reasons for this, at least for me? Well, for starters--even LESS Isak. And at this pint, the naive Mary-Sue from bks 1+2 who was to be "THE CHOSEN ONE" has been thoroughly subverted. Isak gets a lot better as a character the less Lloyd makes him talk and learn. On top of this, the focus shifts away from Isak--at thi
Kati
So much potential - and most of it wasted. Instead of focusing on a handful of characters in-depth, the author uses dozens of them and barely touches upon them, mostly he just introduces them and hints at their greatness only to kill them off or let them fall aside, forgotten - General Lahk's twin brother? Also, it felt like there were chunks of the book missing: in one chapter, Doranei and his men were surrounded and facing certain annihilation, several chapters later, he was all safe and sound ...more
Steve
Builds the main story up nicely, in preparation for the final volume and provides a conclusion to a number of story-threads. Some of the secondary characters feel a little short-changed, but hard to imagine how they could get more story-time without adding more pages/books.
Wilfred Berkhof
This great series continues. I definitely enjoyed it and all the spectacle/violence was turned up a notch, but I felt there was less tension and excitement than in the previous two books. And the big climax fell kind of flat I felt. So all in all a good continuation of the series, but not at the same really high standard as the previous two.
Adrian Leaf
Pretty epic stuff, one of the major plot lines comes to a conclusion in this book; Just have to see how the rest of it all comes together in the final book.
Harun
I wasn't expecting the end at all. It was a real page turner, once I started it almost pained me to put the book down.
Hannah
Once more a fantastic book. Am really enjoying this series and can't wait for the next instalment.
Liene
Liene marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Chrisanne Penn
Chrisanne Penn marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Robyn
Robyn added it
Jan 23, 2015
Kevin Harrington
Kevin Harrington marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Brian Reed
Brian Reed marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
  • Salute the Dark (Shadows of the Apt, #4)
  • Demonstorm (Legends of the Raven, #3)
  • Traitor's Knot (Wars of Light & Shadow #7; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #4)
  • The Usurper (King Rolen's Kin, #3)
  • The Night of the Swarm (Chathrand Voyages #4)
  • Shadow's Master (Shadow Saga, #3)
  • Tracato (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #3)
  • The Bone Palace (The Necromancer Chronicles, #2)
  • The Dark Defiles (A Land Fit for Heroes, #3)
Tom Lloyd was born in 1979 and showed almost no interest in writing until the age of eighteen. I blame the teachers myself.

Nevertheless he did eventually find himself with a long summer to spare before university, and decided to start a novel when it was suggested he get a job to pass the time. This tells you much of what there is to know about him. The rest can be derived from the fact that he fi
More about Tom Lloyd...

Twilight Reign (5 books)
  • The Stormcaller (Twilight Reign, #1)
  • The Twilight Herald (Twilight Reign, #2)
  • The Grave Thief (Twilight Reign, #3)
  • The Dusk Watchman (Twilight Reign, #5)
The Stormcaller (Twilight Reign, #1) The Twilight Herald (Twilight Reign, #2) The Grave Thief (Twilight Reign, #3) The Dusk Watchman (Twilight Reign, #5) Moon's Artifice (The Empire of a Hundred Houses, #1)

“History is not a map to be read, nor a path to be followed. It is a landscape of contours and textures, of colours and sounds.” 1 likes