Start by marking “Spirála” as Want to Read:
Spirála

Spirála (Ring #2)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  2,402 ratings  ·  146 reviews
Ever since his young son drowned to death, Ando has suffered recurrent nightmares. His wife has come unhinged after their devastating loss, which doesn't help. Work is his only salvation these days - and it's performing autopsies. But Ando's depressing world of routine and regrets is about to change when Ryuji Takayama, an old rival, appears before him as a corpse to be di ...more
Expected publication: April 2066 by Knižní klub (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Spirála, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spirála

Trudi

Huh. Well, that was...interesting. Overall, I can say I enjoyed it. But two things chipped away at the star rating: 1) not enough creee-py (though a few scenes work incredibly well) and 2) waaaaay too much solving of codes and clues and shop-talk about genetics and DNA (oh, and these biological aspects are much more strap on your suspension of disbelief fantastical than this guy's done his research science fiction with the emphasis on science).

There's some crazy ass theories going on in these p
Tanja Berg
This book gets a three star rating by the grace of the fact that I actually enjoyed reading it. The plot was well-paced and I found the main character - pathologist Dr. Ando - sympathetic. If it hadn't been for the fact that the last third of the book was completely preposterous this would have been a solid four star novel.

This is a free-standing sequel to "the Ring". Dr. Ando has lost his young son to the sea and his wife has left him. He performs an autopsy on his old school friend Ryuji who h
Trisha
Sean O'Hara
Ah, so here's Koji Suzuki's official sequel to Ring. Not the crappy Hollywood sequel, nor the crappy Japanese film sequel, but the official continuation from the author of the original novel. All right! This is going to be awe--wait, it's a medical thriller?

The curse is a result of the smallpox virus hijacking Sadako's DNA and using her psychic powers to imprint images on a videotape which in turn causes the viewer's DNA to mutate and produce more of the --

There are a number of scenes in this b
Marvin
Spiral is the sequel to Koji Suzuki's best-selling Japanese horror novel Ring and also makes up the second book of a trilogy. Most people know the idea of the first book because of the popular horror film that bears its name. While both book and movie, Ring, manage to creep out the globe, what we didn't know is that the author wasn't happy with just killing people seven days after watching a creepy video. He had other plans.

And for better or worse, they are spelled out in Spiral. The plot starts
Angela
Spiral is Koji Suzuki's second installment in the Ring series, picking up pretty much immediately where the first book leaves off--and shifting over to a new protagonist, Mitsuo Ando, who is a former classmate of one of the characters who dies in the first book. Ando winds up being the doctor called upon to do the autopsy on his classmate, and is thus drawn into the events that roared through the plot of the first book.

This one didn't quite work for me as well, though. It suffered from a bit of
Misono
Although I haven't read Book 1 (The Ring) of Suzuki's Ring series, I had seen all the different movies and TV series that were made based on it. I read the Japanese version of this sequel at a friend's recommendation, but found it to be overly complicated and at times boring - Suzuki tried too much to tie the supernatural to science, in ways too complex for the reader to truly grasp, much less believe.
The Writer
Spiral is the second book after "Ring" by Koji Suzuki.

If your brain suddenly form an image of a long-haired woman climbing out from a well and crawling out from the television - trying to get at you - then you got that right. The film, as I have written in my previous review here, is made from Koji Suzuki's book.

And believe me, the book is hundred times scarier than the film!

The first book ends with the story on how Azakawa, the reporter, realises that the solution to the curse might not be tak
D.M.
It's a good thing this book was written in such a fluid, easily-read style, because I don't know that I'd have stayed with it otherwise. As it was, several portions got bogged down in a textbook-type science language that I tended to skip over (and the narrative lost nothing for it).
This story incorporates more horror elements than did the first book (Ring), and so is closer in nature to a horror novel for it. However, the heavy use of science (both real and imagined) places the story technicall
Karel
This book is slow to start. This is because it5's one of those book where it's in a series but if you start reading from this one (Spiral being the second book to The Ring) you can still understand the story fully. And it is book like these that irritate me the most because it makes all the other books that came before it useless. Writers usually do this when the protagonist of the first book gets killed or enters a state which is similar, A coma for example. Which is what happened here.

The Ring
Krystle
So this was... a little weird.

Sometimes I would read sentences/passages that I just couldn't believe I was meant to take seriously.

What if that DNA had inherited Ryuji's will, and was trying to express something in words?

I'm pretty sure that DNA doesn't even begin to work that way... Ah, who am I kidding. This is j-horror, of course DNA would work that way in this wacky world.

Could Ryuji be trying to tell me where she is with this code?
He considered the possibility for a moment, but then discard
Carly Ogborne
I read Ring and Spiral in rapid succession and while I loved Ring, I'm conflicted about Spiral. It was definitely spookier and I enjoyed the way the story turned out, especially the ending which was something I never would have predicted. However, some of the attempts to explain how the virus formed verged into wankery and I hated the info-dumps and the inclusion of the DNA sequencing and whatnot. What, am I reading a Jodi Picoult novel?

That said, some of these problems may be due to translation
Paula
Following on from 'Ring' (and also readable as a stand alone book), 'Spiral' starts with Ando performing an autopsy on Ryuji following his early demise in 'Ring', suddenly Ando is dragged into the world of the ring and Sadako Yamamura who is responsible for numerous deaths.

I enjoyed 'Ring' but I enjoyed 'Spiral' a lot more for numerous reasons, there was a more sinister feel to it for one thing, the story was excellent, I did not expect the ending, some parts of the book were obivious but still
Baal Of
Considering the fact that Ringu is a damn fine horror movie that actually manages to be scary, and doesn't resort humor, I had some hope for this book, which is the sequel to Ring, on which that movie was based. although this book wasn't bad, I was disappointed for a number of reason. Spiral fails entirely to be the least bit frightening, or even tense. The one scene with the elevator, almost managed to affect me, but did nothing to ratchet up the tension, dissipating before it had a chance to d ...more
Carolin Kopplin
Very exciting book and fast read. "Ring 2" was based on this.
Amy
I started reading 'Spiral' with high expectations after enjoying 'Ring', all I can say is that free years of waiting to read this I've been left disappointed. I always thought one of the main highlights of 'Ring' was its ambiguousness, even when it seems the puzzle is solved the story ends with you feeling like there was something missing, 'Spiral' attempts to answer that. Starting off promising new characters are introduced as the ring virus continues its destructive path. I enjoyed the links w ...more
Matteo Pellegrini

Sconvolto dalla morte del figlioletto e devastato dalla conseguente separazione dalla moglie, il medico legale Mitsuo Ando si deve confrontare con un altro dramma: la morte apparentemente inspiegabile di Ryuji Takayama, un suo ex compagno di università. Incaricato dell'autopsia, Mitsuo scopre con profondo sconcerto nel corpo di Ryuji un pezzetto di carta su cui sono scritti alcuni numeri e, rammentando la passione dell'amico per i crittogrammi, prova a decifrarli, ottenendo un'unica, misteriosa

Michele
Hm.. I'm not really sure what I think of this. I have given it 3 stars mainly for the first third of the book. The beginning started out strong, and very readable, especially compared to the choppiness and extremely simple sentences of Ring. (I wonder if the translation of Ring is a poor job, or the way Suzuki writes. This book makes me lean toward the former.) I like that it starts out as a medical thriller, but, as others have said, the code breaking, science book pages, and total rehash of Ri ...more
Kim Lauwers
I'm a big fan of the Ring series (both books and movies) and after the first one I really wanted to continue on to this one.

I liked the movie for this a lot less than the first movie and the same happened with this novel, which is even weirder than the movie if you ask me. In Ringu everything still seemed logical (I would have said realistic but you know...killer videotapes and stuff...you can't really call that realistic, right?) Spiral on the other hand has lost it completely (which becomes e
Debra
In spite of all the DNA and coding information other reviewers have complained of, I enjoyed this sequel to Ring very much. It's pace was good and I sped right through it to its horrifying conclusion. Of course, now I need to read the next one in the series!
Andy
This is even better than Ring and really takes things in a different direction from the movie versions. Worth reading.
Vanessa Montês
O livro estava um pouco lento no início da história, mas os acontecimentos finais foram fantásticos!
Novia
I actually give this 2,5 but we don't have that rati8ng here.

Ring was more to mystery while Spiral is more to sci-fi. It’s amazing how Suzuki Koji could do such differentiation with the same theme…Sadako’s curse. There were parts that I think very creepy, it was when Dr. Ando visits Mai’s house. The way Susuki-sensei described the eeriness of the small apartment where Mai lived was amazingly detail and it made me feel like I was there and I felt the same chill that Dr. Ando felt. It was without
Rachel
Andreea
Nov 15, 2008 Andreea rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thriller and science lovers
Recommended to Andreea by: alina (dar tu ai citit-o, mey?)
Shelves: reviewed, 10th-grade
Stephanie
Spiral is a worthy sequel to Ring, although I do feel that it was unnecessary to make Spiral both a sequel and a stand-alone novel. About halfway through Spiral, we're told through the report Asakawa was writing throughout Ring the entire plot of the first book. I understand that Suzuki probably wanted readers who may not be attracted to a series (it even says on the back of my book that it can be read as a sequel or on its own, so clearly it was advertised that way when it was released), but as ...more
Lainy
Blurb from Goodreads

In this award-winning sequel, the story we thought we knew in Ring (the original novel which inspired the blockbuster movie) is broken down and twisted into a new reality.

Ando, a medical doctor haunted by dreams of his drowned son, faces a choice at the end of Spiral more sinister than Asakawa s in Ring.

My review

This is the second book (follow on) from the Ring but can be read as a stand alone (which you might find you enjoy it more if you have nothing to compare it to).

I do
Eidam289
Druhý diel trilógie kruh od japonského autora Kodži Suzuki pomaly mení žáner a stáva sa skôr sci-fi ako hororom.
Nájdu sa tú síce chvílky, pri ktorých sa budete báť, ale viac budete zahrnutí obrovským množstvom informácii o vírusoch a DNA.
Prvý a druhý diel som v písanej podobe nezohnala, a tak som si musela vystačiť s audioknihou. Kým pri prvej knihe mi to vyhovovalo, dokonca som si to užívala, lebo rozprávač mal nádherný hlas, a ja som mohla zavrieť oči a snívať o kadečom, pri druhom to bol
Asma
After losing his son, and seeing his marriage fall apart, Ando has steeled himself to a mundane existence. Seeing his classmate on an autopsy table was the last thing he expected to see. Reports of mysterious deaths are cropping up, and Ando is convinced of them being connected. Following signs and clues set by Ryuji from beyond the grave, Ando is determined to see the extinction of a virus set by a certain videotape. The events, however, prove more horrifying than Ando could ever imagine.

This
Rézina Dějová
Pojďte pane, budeme se bát!

O kultovním filmovém hororu Kruh jste už slyšeli asi všichni. Ne každý ví, že byl inspirován knižní trilogií - která je, jak už to bývá, mnohem zajímavější. :)
Mimochodem, druhý díl u mě vede nad prvním, protože je o dost děsivější. I když ne zdaleka tak strašidelný, jak dokáže být film.

V prvním díle se objevila vražedná kazeta. Hrdinové první části (Kruh) přišli na to, jak zlomit její kletbu a zastavit řetězec podivných úmrtí (view spoiler)
  • Parasite Eve
  • Strangers
  • Suspect Zero
  • Now You're One of Us
  • Tales of Moonlight and Rain
  • Ju-on Volume 1 (呪怨, #1)
  • Hide and Seek
  • Masks
  • The Crimson Labyrinth
  • All She Was Worth
  • De dødes tjern
  • Hellblazer, Vol. 1: Original Sins (Hellblazer New Edition, #1)
In addition to being considered "the Japanese Stephen King", Suzuki is also a respected writer on the subject of fatherhood in his native Japan. Several of his works have been adapted into movies, including "Ring" and the short story "Dark Water" from the collection of the same name, as well as a Manga series based on "Ring".
More about Koji Suzuki...
Ring (Ring, #1) Dark Water Loop (Ring, #3) Birthday (Ring, #4) Paradise

“There was no more meaningless phrase in all of language than "Cheer up!" The only way to get someone to cheer up was to help them forget, and saying "cheer up" had quite the opposite effect, only reminding the person why he or she was depressed in the first place.” 9 likes
“People can endure almost anything but there's one thing they can't survive. Man is an animal that can't stand boredom” 3 likes