Start by marking “Night-Night, Little Pookie” as Want to Read:
Night-Night, Little Pookie

Night-Night, Little Pookie

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  581 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
It's evening, and mom patiently eases Pookie toward bed. Pookie cooperates (mostly)—though with that particular Pookie flair. And imagine who gets the last word.

Told in Boynton’s signature rhyme and illustrations, this humorous and gentle story will delight toddlers and those that love them.
Board Book, 18 pages
Published August 11th 2009 by Robin Corey Books

To ask other readers questions about Night-Night, Little Pookie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night-Night, Little Pookie

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownDeclan Grows Up by C. Austin LeeEli the Minnow and The Coral Cave Adventure by David L. SterlingSleepyhead by Karma WilsonPrincess Charleston of the Isle of Palms by Kelly Sheehy DeGroot
Best Bedtime Storybooks for Wee Ones
6th out of 37 books — 23 voters
Hippos Go Berserk! by Sandra BoyntonBut Not the Hippopotamus by Sandra BoyntonBarnyard Dance by Sandra BoyntonOh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs! by Sandra BoyntonSnuggle Puppy! by Sandra Boynton
Best of Sandra Boynton
46th out of 59 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Dana Lyons
Jan 08, 2016 Dana Lyons rated it it was amazing
Shelves: iris
My two-year-old Iris adores this book. The book is very relatable for this age because it depicts a typical bedtime routine between and the interactions that ensue between parent and child. She loves to "find" Pookie when he is hiding from his mommy. I love the positive messages the book sends, such as when given the choice between car or star pajamas he chooses "stars AND cars" by mixing the pieces of the two sets. This is a great subtle reminder to parents to let littles make their own choice ...more
J Marsano
Jan 09, 2013 J Marsano rated it really liked it
Shelves: infant-toddler
There are a few stalwarts of the office cubicle, and cartoons, greeting cards and ceramica by the American Sandra Boynton are just some of them. You've seen her work before, even if you haven't seen her work before: odd, proto-versions of bug-eyed and confused animals staring at you, wishing you a happy 40th, Valentine's Day gone wrong, and the like. It's natural that she would have quite a developed oeuvre in children's books.

This oeuvre centers on the exploits/celebrations of "Little Pooky", t
Sarah Sammis
Mar 11, 2011 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Every December the preschool does a holiday book swap. Each child brings in a wrapped book and then gets to pick a book from the pile to open and keep. Night-Night Little Pookie by Sandra Boynton was the last book we will ever get from the exchange now that Harriet is in her final year at the school.

Sandra Boynton is a popular author in our house, although it's been ages since we've read any of her books. Night-Night Little Pookie was our first Pookie book but an instant hit with Harriet.

It's Po
Aliza
Sep 22, 2014 Aliza rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids 0-4
This is a well-loved book in my house - both of my boys have demanded this book nearly every night before bed. My youngest still requests it frequently and it helps to set the tone before we tuck him in for the night. We've read it so much it's been taped and re-taped.
Erin
Jul 02, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
We picked up this book because my son has enjoyed many of Boynton's other titles. He didn't really get into this book until recently though (19-20 months). I think the illustrations were too simple at first, with a white background and not a lot of objects for him to label. Now that he's a little older and getting into the "plot" of the books, he's really latched on to this one. It's a brief story of Pookie getting ready for bed, but there's lots of motions we can act out together (brushing teet ...more
Susan
Sep 20, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, storybook
On finishing this book I had a moment of regret that these (Sandra Boynton's) books were not around when I was a tot, though I am happy for the opportunity to enjoy them as an adult.

This book - Night-Night, Little Pookie - contains an endearing story of Pookie going to bed, in a way that seems typical of toddlers going to bed (e.g. first hiding from Mama then popping out with an 'I'm here' call). I really appreciated the way that the mother accepted and incorporated Pookie's little jokes and qui
Heather
May 09, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
A cute little book about going to sleep. My oldest helped me read it and it was liked by the younger ones.
DeNae
Sep 28, 2014 DeNae rated it it was amazing
This is Asher's current favorite night night story. Another win for Sandra Boynton.
Sylver
Nov 04, 2015 Sylver rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vcfa-2-5
Funniest bedtime book to read with my little pookie!
The Book Box
Nov 07, 2014 The Book Box added it
Shelves: library
Ms. Alicia read this to me at my first baby story time!
Danielle
Oct 26, 2015 Danielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool
Henry's most favorite bedtime story!
Robert Beveridge
Sep 05, 2013 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished, cle-pub-lib
Sandra Boynton, Night-Night, Little Pookie (Robin Corey Books, 2009)

Sandra Boynton's books are usually gold, but every once in a while a little extra magic happens. I can never quite put my finger on what it is that makes Book A work better than Book B, but like the man said, I know it when I see it. Night-Night, Little Pookie is it. The last two pages of this book are exactly the kind of magic Boynton weaves in her best moments. Good stuff indeed. ****
Luana
Apr 20, 2012 Luana rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-nathan
This is a perfect bedtime story for children ages 0-5. I read this book to my nephew, Nathan, all the time and he loves it! The rhyming and simple words are easy for me to read and easy for him to hear and understand. He is 2 years old and is still learning to speak so books like these aid his development of speaking. I think if I were to take this book into the classroom, I'd read it to Pre-K students during nap time.
Violet Moll
Jun 12, 2011 Violet Moll rated it really liked it
Violet loves the Pookie stories. Possibly because they are about a child being sweetly cared for by his mother, something easy to identify with for children and also a big part of their lives. I also enjoy these sweet stories and the opportunities to use both a mom and baby voice. It make Vi laugh.
Megababy
Feb 03, 2016 Megababy rated it liked it
Recommended to Megababy by: olga
Shelves: own
1/28/16 - So many night night books! Pookie is a funny word, it makes me laugh. Mommy thinks pookie is silly, and it is hard to do different voices which is necessary because this book is dialog instead of a narrator.
Wendy
Another cute one from Sandra Boynton. As the title suggests, this one follows Pookie's getting-ready-for-bed routine. I love Pookie's fun personality and the sweet mama-baby relationship depicted.
Lily
Dec 28, 2010 Lily rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit, 2010
Abe and I read this to Lydia the other night, and we loved the illustrations! (Sadly, she can't enjoy them for a while, but hopefully she liked the repetitive lull of all the "night nights".)
Jess-i-ca ~The Gif Witch~
Sep 03, 2013 Jess-i-ca ~The Gif Witch~ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-for-my-kids
I absolutely LOVE Sandra Boynton books! Little Pookie is a favorite! The books are so cute!

[image error]
Angela Skeie
Last night, three-year old William “read" this to baby sister. He did a good job following the pictures, more or less, but luckily the real story is a little better.
Heather
Jun 02, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: own, board-books
24 months - another of the Pookie books which O always enjoys but I get tired of quickly. They are just not as fun as Barnyard Dance, 15 Animals and Pajama Time etc.
Michele
Oct 02, 2013 Michele rated it really liked it
It's Boynton...so there you go.
Actually not my favorite, but can't go wrong with this little book. Super cute and Pookie is part of a series in case ya didn't know!
Anna
This is my favorite children's book! Little Pookie is awesome. The rhymes and fantastic characters make me smile every time I read this to my daughter!
Gardavson
Jan 05, 2011 Gardavson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, 5-star
Excellent book in true Boynton style. If you're a parent (or going to be one) of small children, this book should be in your personal library.
Lori
May 25, 2012 Lori rated it it was amazing
Shelves: board
Brought it to my 21 month old grandson. We had to read it five times in a row and once again at nap time. Lots of giggling. Big hit!
Katie
Oct 30, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing
This is always my son's last book before bed. The three kisses and the poem at the end are a special part of our bedtime routine.
Sheila
Jan 04, 2013 Sheila rated it really liked it
Not my favorite of the Pookie books, but the lower rating is just in comparison to some other Boynton books. Still a lot of fun.
Barbara
Oct 04, 2009 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keepers, baby-books
Awww. Too cute. That darn Sandra Boynton is just too clever. Just a really sweet(without being cloying)bedtime rhyme.
Emily
Jul 24, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
My son and I love the Pookie books! He became the Birthday Pook on his first birthday, and has been our little Pook ever since!
Brigette
Oct 16, 2014 Brigette rated it it was amazing
Another wonderfully sweet bedtime story. Only 4 stars because my little one gets bored about halfway through.
Megan
Oct 01, 2010 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My son loves the Sandra Boynton books. They are also very fun for me to read to him, as they are all so cute.
  • Good Night, I Love You
  • Planes
  • Bright Baby Animals
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Duck & Goose, Goose Needs a Hug
  • Where Is Baby's Belly Button?
  • Everywhere Babies
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more
More about Sandra Boynton...