Start by marking “The Terrible Plop” as Want to Read:

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  315 ratings  ·  68 reviews
In this uproarious update of a favorite story, an unexplained noise leads to pandemonium among the animals. The fox, the elephant, even the big brown bear prove no match for the Terrible Plop. Only the littlest bunny learns not to panic when the sky—or something else up there—is falling.

Bright, energetic illustrations and a lively rhyming text combine to make this a perfec...more
Published August 18th 2009 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Terrible Plop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Terrible Plop

Regina
I read this book to kindergarteners this past week and we all loved it. I think this book is a new classic. We looked at the cover and the kids noticed that the apple tree makes the letter T in Terrible. We focused on rhyming words as our literacy focus, but it's just a good story and so much fun to read and rhyme. The kids loved saying the words plop, stop, and hop. The illustrations are perfect--fun, textured, collage, filled with humor. The rabbits eat carrots and chocolate cake by the lake....more
Book Bazaar
The Terrible Plop

“The Terrible Plop” is a beautiful picture book in all ways.

The production of “The Terrible Plop” is perfect. It has a gorgeous cover jacket with a bold and bright design that entices the reader, as well as very cool endpapers. Even the size of the book is right – not too big, but large enough to be able to turn it around to show a young audience.

This book has wonderful rhyming text which is a joy to read. “The Terrible Plop” follows a noise that scares the rabbits in the fore...more
Betsy
Before I begin, a word to the adults out there. Ahem. GET YOUR MIND OUT OF THE GUTTER!!! THAT IS NOT WHAT THIS BOOK IS ABOUT! I wish I could say that the creators of this book were all wide-eyed innocents when they named it The Terrible Plop, but let’s be realistic here. Honestly? More adults AND kids are going to pick this book up when they read the cover, if only to figure out whether or not it’s as dirty as the title implies. What they will find instead is a funny bit of writing packed in a s...more
Rachael
"The Terrible Plop" is about an object that fell from the sky and made a terrible plop. The rabbits, who were nearby, became scared and started running from the terrible plop. As they were trying to get away, more and more animals joined them. When they reached the mean bear, he was curious what everyone was running from. Determined to find out, he took the slowest and smallest rabbit back with him to find the terrible plop. As they arrived near the lake, the terrible plop sounded and scared the...more
Arminzerella
Heidi
Wasn't sure what this book would be about with that title, but it turned out really cute. I like the illustrations. This should work in storytime. The rhyming overall works, but once in a while it's a bit jilty. Still, if I'm ready for those parts I can make them work in storytime.
Casuarina Pearson
my daughter requested this nightly and I didn't mind reading it repeatedly at all. a variant on A Fly Went By this formula works and is a great launchpad for kids to write their own stories
Nielson
With bright illustrations and rhyming text, this book is a treat! Six little rabbits munching on cake down by the river hear a terrible plop and all go running. They cause a panic to other furry friends in the forest and soon everyone is terrified and running from the terrible plop. But Big Brown Bear refuses to be scared until one brave little rabbit takes him back to the place of the terribe plop. The secret of the terrible plop is unveiled, but not before Big Brown Bear runs pell-mell through...more
Melanie
When an apple falls off the tree and into the lake the little bunnies on a picnic go running and scare everyone along the way into running too. All because of a big PLOP! Finally everyone runs into Big Brown Bear. Bear picks up the tiniest rabbit and demands to know what's going on. So the terrified rabbit leads him back to the lake. Bear's slightly confused on what all the fuss is about. That is, until another apple falls into the lake and sends Bear running scared from the PLOP! But this time...more
Camille
This is one of my favorite books to read aloud to an audience. I think its a dynamic story that goes from animals peacefully lounging, to animals frantically running, to the interactions between a little rabbit and a big brown bear.

Great trickster tale that I would pair with Monkey: A Trickster Tale from India by McDermott.

Although I think its a fun group audience book, I think this would still be a great share one-on-one with a little one who still wants to curl up on or next to you. That's w...more
Sarah BT
The Terrible Plop is nominated for the Building Block Award and I think it will make a great read aloud. Kids will love the humor and guessing what the cause of the terrible plop is. The author is sneaky and never tells the reader what exactly the terrible plop is but the reader has to look for it in the illustrations.

My only problem with the book was that I felt it went on just a bit too long. You'd have to have a very captive audience to read this one to. But for older readers who can stit th...more
A fantastic children's book. We used it for a homework assignment for my son's reading log.
Damera Blincoe
I really liked this little book. The plop is not what you'd expect it to be.
Jessica Crockett
I really like the message in this book! I appreciate that it encourages individual thinking. It's a book I really don't mind reading repeatedly. :-)
Bree
Notes:
prefer Henny Penny by Paul Galdone
text isn't great as a read-aloud
art is too cartoony
This is a fun rhyming story about forest animals (including some jungle ones like monkeys) who are running from a terrible "plop" noise. The rabbits hear it first and soon a whole herd of different creatures are fleeing the scene. When they run into big brown bear, he doesn't believe anything could be scary enough to panic about, so he insists seeing what this "terrible plop" is all about. All along, WE know what it is; this adds to the fun (dramatic irony!) as does a twist at the end.
Shelli
The Terrible Plop reminded me of the classic tale of Chicken Little. When some rabbits grazing by the creek hear a loud PLOP from an apple falling into the water they run, panicked that some terrible ... something is after them. As they flee from the terrible PLOP they warn the other animals along the way, causing a whirl wind of chaos as they go.

Super fun read aloud that kids will LOVE!
Leslie
Predictable, but a nice message about facing your fears. I really liked the illustrations, but why are all of these animals in the same forest? I found myself stopping to explain to my daughter (who likely didn't care) that some of the animals belong in a temperate forest, some a rain forest, some a savannah, some Australia, and some in a house.
Kris
"Plop." (hee hee!) No, it's not that kind of plop. It's a picture book about how all the animals let themselves get carried away by fear of some unknown threat. An apple falls into the water (plop!) and those who hear the noise get scared. Don't know why, but they do. Suddenly everyone is running from the Plop. Cute book.
Olga Kilicci
Something drops in the forest and all the animals disperse in fear. What is the terrible plop? You find out quickly enough and by the end, so does one little creature, who is rewarded for not being afraid. A fun and engaging rhyming book. One of my nephews favorites and I can see why!
Becky
Oct 22, 2009 Becky rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschool and up
Love it!! The old-fashioned-looking illustrations, the Henny-Penny-ish story, the Ten apples up on top feel to the rhyme. Would make a great readaloud sure to get some giggles.
Dee-Ann
Went to visit my son who was with his class at the library. The librarian read this book to us ... what a fun and fabulous book ... it entertained the children (all of whom have special needs) and the adults as well. I love the fact that it rhymes and the words are fun.
Danie P.
Ahhhh run the great plop is coming!Rabbit hears a great big plop and thinks it must be a big monster! He runs and tells his friend who tells his friend who tells his friend until it gets to bear. Bear doesn't think very much of the big plop and decides to investigate.
Amanda
This one is a fun read. Good for bedtime or anytime since it isn't too long or involved. The illustrations are very cute- remind me a little of Yogi Bear for some reason. It rhymes and has a nice ending, so all of my favorite things :) DS seems to enjoy it too.
Kelly
I was in my local library one day and another mum whom I didn't know handed me this book and said "its great, you should take it", and she was right, we (H and I) really enjoyed it and read it quite a a few times before returning it. Its fab.
Jackie
Oh No! The Terrible Plop! The animals in the forest run from it, but the big brown bear is not afraid...or is he?

Delightful, humorous read-aloud. Makes you want a big piece of chocolate cake. YUM!

Thank you, Cara.
Deb
My children like this more than me. Maybe another 20 readings will improve my opinion. Maybe not.
Amy Brown
Rabbit hears a terrible plop and runs away scared of it taking many different animals with him until he gets to bear. Bear wants to see what causes this great big plop. Kind of a version of Henny Penny.
Emerson
Unique and surprising. The forest animals are freaking out about the Terrible Plop--the noise that was heard at the river. Good lessons about not overreacting or buying into group hysteria.
Kate
Very cute cartoon style art. Story is along the same concept lines as Chicken Little, with a "Terrible Plop" scaring all the animals in the forest, until one little rabbit figures out the culprit.
  • Sleep, Big Bear, Sleep!
  • One-Dog Canoe
  • Hugless Douglas
  • Chicken Cheeks
  • Jump!
  • The Little Rabbit Who Liked to Say Moo
  • Wolf's Coming! (Carolrhoda Picture Books)
  • Little Owl Lost
  • A Dog Is a Dog
  • Katie Loves the Kittens
  • Silly Tilly
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
Ursula Dubosarsky is an award-winning author of numerous books for children and young adults. About The Golden Day, her first book with Candlewick Press, she says, "The little girls watch, wonder, respond, change, and grow — and then their childhood is gone, forever. This element of the story, I suppose, is at least partly autobiographical. But, as I say — all of our teachers come home safe and so...more
More about Ursula Dubosarsky...
The Golden Day The Word Snoop The Red Shoe The Return of the Word Spy: A Funny and Fantastic Voyage into Language, Grammar and Beyond Too Many Elephants in this House