Start by marking “Health, Healing, and Beyond: Yoga and the Living Tradition of Krishnamacharya” as Want to Read:
Health, Healing, and Beyond: Yoga and the Living Tradition of Krishnamacharya

Health, Healing, and Beyond: Yoga and the Living Tradition of Krishnamacharya

My father's teaching... was based on the truth that each student must be taught according to his or her individual capacity at any given time. And each step is to be experienced for what the "Bhagavad-Gita" shows it to be: an episode in the greatest of all adventures, the eternal journey of the soul. --T. K. V. Desikachar
Descended from an ancient yogic lineage, T.K.V. Desi
Published June 15th 2005 by Aperture (first published August 30th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Health, Healing, and Beyond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Health, Healing, and Beyond

Eric
Apr 12, 2013 Eric rated it it was amazing
This book was primarily written for Yoga teachers and practitioners. I just loved reading this profoundly moving biography of legendary yogi Krishnamacharya. And I highly recommend this book to all Yoga enthusiasts. I have practiced Yoga since 1988. As this is the 25th year of my practice, I'm keen to up my game and take it to the next level. This wonderful book has inspired me and I'm grateful to have found it and read it. Desikachar, Krishnamachra's son and successor at his eponymous Yoga scho ...more
Samiam
Dec 03, 2015 Samiam rated it it was amazing
Essential routes for the yoga tree.
Nsharil
Jun 12, 2013 Nsharil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best autobiography book of Krishnamacharya and one that doubles up as a foundation of building an understanding of yoga history and the bhagavad gita. I agree with other readers, this is an extremely touching account of the Krishnamacharya's life. I only wished that I had the privilege of being his student when he was alive. A must read for all those who want to have a glimpse of the man who was responsible for training B.K.S Iyengar and Indra Devi.
Annette Broy
Apr 11, 2013 Annette Broy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to know what yoga really is
I loved this book. What a deep respect that I have for this man and his life work and dedication to yoga. I plan on reading this book many times over as there were many wonderful nuggets to absorb. Highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to know what yoga is. Yoga is not just about postures, but a way of living. Awesome!
Susan Rydberg
Great book giving the explanations of the states of mind and the development of the yogi's path. Provides insight to the humanity of a great teacher. The inspiration of a healer and a teacher of the path of a seeker gives me motivation go to on as a student struggle to understand and learn.
Curt
Jul 26, 2007 Curt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: information
If you are into Yoga this book is a great one to teach you about some of the history of Yoga (asana) and how it was brought over to the West. This is a wonderful read about Krishnamacharya and what he did in India to revive Yoga. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to know more about Yoga.
Karen
Jan 07, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
This book is beautifully written by the son of Krishnamacharya. This book not only reveals Krishnamacharya's teachings but is also an intimate look at his personal practice and devotion to it.
Kimz Zahour
Jun 30, 2007 Kimz Zahour rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga
It's wonderful that Yoga has become so accessible. Can you imagine walking for days to find a guru to instruct you? Living in isolation during your education? And then giving whatever your guru demands of you as payment?
Heather
May 02, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing
A good overall view of what yoga is and biographical sketches of an influential teacher to many in the United States. This teacher looks above all at the therapeutic workings with individuals to promote better health.
Christina Boyle
This is one of my texts for yoga teacher training. There is so much wisdom packed into this book. And the writing is totally accessible to those who haven't taken yoga.
David Melik
I consider this as interesting as Autobiography of A Yogi, but this is focused more on Hatha Yoga than Kriya Yoga and may be more understandable to most people.
Judy
Aug 20, 2012 Judy rated it it was amazing
An excellent book. Yoga was once the provence of men and of mystics. Krishnamacharya brought yoga practice to the householder and more importantly to women.
Carrie
Jun 11, 2015 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, yoga
I understood a lot more after having taken Level 4 training through YogaFit. Krishnamacharya was a great teacher!

i own an IBook version.
kyle
Sep 19, 2009 kyle rated it it was amazing
The story of Krisnamacarya as told by his son. Essential reading for yogis/yoginis. Inspiring, provocative, well-written, and beautiful designed.
Sharda
Sharda marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2016
Veronika Janeckova
Veronika Janeckova is currently reading it
Sep 11, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Kane Mason
Kane Mason marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Rebecca Tversky
Rebecca Tversky marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Miriam
Miriam rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
Douglas Thompson
Douglas Thompson rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Èlia Viader
Èlia Viader marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
LRodarte
LRodarte marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Jenn Jackson
Jenn Jackson marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Victor Cirone
Victor Cirone marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Dilcun Doğan
Dilcun Doğan marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Hoda Samiee Flores
Hoda Samiee Flores marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Rachael Warner
Rachael Warner marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • American Veda: From Emerson and the Beatles to Yoga and Meditation How Indian Spirituality Changed the West
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • Yoga Mala: The Seminal Treatise and Guide from the Living Master of Ashtanga Yoga
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • Yoga Nidra
  • Jivamukti Yoga: Practices for Liberating Body and Soul
  • Krishnamacharya: His Life and Teachings
  • The Mirror of Yoga: Awakening the Intelligence of Body and Mind
  • The End of Sorrow: The Bhagavad Gita for Daily Living, Volume I [India's timeless and practical scripture presented as a manual for everyday use]
  • The Complete Book of Vinyasa Yoga: The Authoritative Presentation-Based on 30 Years of Direct Study Under the Legendary Yoga Teacher Krishnamacha
  • Insight Yoga
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Living Yoga: Creating a Life Practice
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • Yoga from the Inside Out: Making Peace with Your Body Through Yoga
  • Yoga and the Quest for the True Self
  • Autobiography of a Sadhu: A Journey into Mystic India
TKV Desikachar, son and student of T Krishnamacharya had the privilege of living and studying with T Krishnamacharya from 1960 until Krishnamacharya's death in 1989. For over 50 years, TKV Desikachar has devoted himself to teaching yoga and making it relevant to people from all walks of life and with all kinds of abilities. His teaching method is based on Krishnamacharya's fundamental principle th ...more
More about T.K.V. Desikachar...