Start by marking “The Book of Weeds: How to Deal with Plants That Behave Badly” as Want to Read:
The Book of Weeds: How to Deal with Plants That Behave Badly

The Book of Weeds: How to Deal with Plants That Behave Badly

Weeds are plants growing in the wrong place. This work explains how weeds populate your pots, paving, beds and borders and shows how to prevent them taking over - or opt for complete eradication.
Published April 1st 2009 by Dorling Kindersley (first published March 16th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Weeds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Weeds

Vanessa
Jul 20, 2010 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book about the battle with weeds, with practical (and non herbicidal) advice, and just plain fun to read. It's obvious this guy is an experienced gardener.
Emma Cooper
Jan 08, 2010 Emma Cooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
'The Book of Weeds' follows a pattern that will be familiar to anyone who has read a book on weeds – it tries to define what a weed is, then goes through techniques for keeping them under control or eradicating them and then goes on to describe some of the worst offenders. Unusually, it covers aquatic and pond weeds as well as terrestrial ones.

Ken Thompson’s experience and entertaining writing style come out most strongly in the first section – defining what makes a weed a weed and how plants sp
Adam
May 30, 2013 Adam rated it it was ok
I picked this up on a whim, and it turned out not to be very valuable. First of all, the relatively short ID section is all about common British weeds, which doesn't really help me atm. The even shorter intro body text is almost insulting void of content. His advice for dealing with weeds is essentially just to weed diligently, plant cover crops and fill up the space, and use smothering tactics like mulch, gravel, and fabrics. That's all well and good - probably as good of a strategy as I could ...more
Jim
Jun 18, 2010 Jim rated it really liked it
This is one of those small colorful books which will be memorable that it introduced me to flame weeders. http://www.pesticide.org/pubs/alts/we...

Fire and Gardening!

I hope some day to be able to tell the difference between the things I'm trying to grow and weeds.

Read in one night.
Emily
Jul 27, 2016 Emily rated it it was ok
The catchy title caught my eye, but I found the book to be a little boring. For some reason most of the weeds I was used to pulling did not make the cut for this book. The author seemed to say the same thing over and over, use a hoe while the weeds were small.

It did have good pictures and scientific names.
William
Sep 03, 2009 William rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I probably would not have checked out this book from the library if I had known that it was about weeds in Great Britain.

It is interesting to note the difference between the weeds there and the weeds here.
Tina
Nov 03, 2014 Tina rated it really liked it
good but doesn't mention anything about the huge garden problem ivy.
Ruthann Bender
Quote: "Cultivate such virtues as determination, persistence, thoroughness, and - especially unfashionable these days- patience..." p74
Mary
Mar 04, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it
I'm using this book to help me identify weeds as they pop up. The author speaks with an unexpected sense of humor.
Coral
Coral rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2013
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Laurén
Laurén rated it really liked it
May 01, 2017
Florry
Florry rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2016
Cristina Hutchinson
Cristina Hutchinson rated it really liked it
May 25, 2014
Sandy D.
Sandy D. rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2012
Bob
Bob rated it liked it
May 20, 2013
Raúl
Raúl rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2012
Michael Bell
Michael Bell rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Kokkonuts
Kokkonuts rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2011
Davemonico
Davemonico rated it it was ok
May 22, 2017
Sarah Giles
Sarah Giles rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2015
PepeLePew
PepeLePew rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2014
Jennifer Forrest
Jennifer Forrest rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2015
Mr David Herbert
Mr David Herbert rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2010
Toby
Toby marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2011
Lynn Szwalkiewicz
Lynn Szwalkiewicz marked it as to-read
May 17, 2012
Kimberly Brown
Kimberly Brown is currently reading it
Oct 08, 2012
Liv Hatleli
Liv Hatleli marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2012
Teshome Gelana
Teshome Gelana marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2013
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2013
Provash Dasd
Provash Dasd marked it as to-read
May 20, 2013
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
Ella Nicuta
Ella Nicuta marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
RT Moo
RT Moo marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Michael Harnett
Michael Harnett marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Maxamed Xasan
Maxamed Xasan marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016