Start by marking “Creepy Crawly Crime (Joey Fly, Private Eye)” as Want to Read:
Creepy Crawly Crime (Joey Fly, Private Eye)

Creepy Crawly Crime (Joey Fly, Private Eye #1)

[ Creepy Crawly Crime Reynolds, Aaron ( Author ) ] { Paperback } 2009
Published April 14th 2009 by Henry Holt and Co. BYR Paperbacks (first published August 14th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Creepy Crawly Crime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creepy Crawly Crime

Raina
Cute, uberstylized noir starring an insect cast. I imagine most kids won't get the gumshoe references, but there's some silly humor and the illustrations are accessible and fun with a fair amount of jokes in the detailed backgrounds. Interesting use of color - most of the panels are washed with a color, with virtually no contrasting colors, but there are occasionally multiple color schemes on the page. It took me a while to get through it on breaks from work - it wasn't enthralling. A lot of yaw ...more
Frieda Vizel
Nov 15, 2012 Frieda Vizel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had so much fun reading this book to my little one. Very witty, very funny. I laughed out loud often at the clever play on words.

My seven year old son says: "I want to rate it 1000%."
Megan Gallagher
Title (italicize): Joey Fly Private Eye in Creepy Crawly Crime
Author: Aaron Reynolds
Illustrator (if separate from author): Neil Numberman
Genre: Graphic Novel/Comic Book
Theme(s): Mystery, Adventure, Teamwork, Theft, Crime
Opening line/sentence (type directly from text): Life in the bug city.
Brief Book Summary: This book is about Joey Fly a private investigator and his partner Sammy Stingtail as they investigate Delilah’s disappearing pencil box. Through their investigation they determine Delilah
Shel
Jul 03, 2012 Shel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Reynolds, A. (2009). Joey Fly Private Eye in Creepy Crawly Crime. New York: Henry Hold and Company.

96 pages.

Appetizer: Joey Fly is a private eye, intent on returning Bug City to the innocent bugs who are just trying to get by.

....Wow, describing this graphic novel really does lend itself to rhyming. I blame the title.

When Sammy Stingtail enters Joey's office he knows the young scorpion looks like trouble. And he is. Sammy wants to be Joey's new assistant. Joey takes in the scorpion and
Scope
Mar 12, 2009 Scope rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
A graphic novel detective story that pays homage to (and spoofs) classic crime tales at every turn, Creepy Crawly Crime is made for young readers who enjoy their noir with a heavy dose of levity.

Joey Fly is a detective that’s seen it all. Having solved crimes of all shapes and sizes, there isn’t much that surprises the private eye. When a wet behind the ears scorpion named Sammy Stingtail comes on the scene, asking to be the detective’s assistant, Fly takes on the youngster and gets more than he
Becky B
Joey Fly, Private Eye is on a new case. The case of the missing diamond pencil case. His normal style is a bit cramped by his new assistant Sammy Scorpion. The kid is quick on mayhem and slow on wits. But that won't stop Joey Fly from figuring out who stole the pencil case from Delilah the butterfly's party.

Aaron Reynolds puts on his classic crime detective voice as he writes Joey Fly. Joey's laden with analogies, and well versed in the detective jargon, giving this just the right feel. Oh, and
Danielle Larca
Dec 06, 2010 Danielle Larca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
“Life in the bug city. It ain’t easy” (p. 7)

Have you ever had one of those days? When your brand new assistant doesn’t have the first clue about collecting evidence, bungles eyewitness interviews and nothing generally goes right? Joey Fly, Private Eye is having one of those days. But he’s determined not to let little things like a clumsy assistant and getting fired stand in his way of solving the case of the missing diamond pencil case for the beautiful swallowtail butterfly, Delilah. As Fly get
Traci
Nov 26, 2012 Traci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genre: Junior Graphic Novel

Summary:
This is the first book in the Joey Fly, Private Eye series. Joey and his sidekick Sammy are hired by the beautiful butterfly Delilah to find her missing diamond pencil box. Joey attempts to solve the crime while having to keep Sammy out of mischief. He is eventually fired by Delilah but goes on to solve the crime anyway.

Critique:

(a) The book is accurate in the graphic novel sense. The characters of the book are all insects and the world in which they live in i
Salsabrarian
The first pages drew me in and had me laughing. Joey Fly is in the tradition of the hardboiled detective who's seen it all. ("The name's Fly. Joey Fly, private eye.") All the elements are there: the colorful similes ("Crime sticks to this city like a one-winged fly on a fifty-cent swatter."), the beautiful client ("She was a tall drip of water. And I was suddenly feeling parched.") and the terse, no-nonsense dialog. The monochrome palette of the illustrations provides a mock noir ambience. Addit ...more
Sarah Sammis
Jan 03, 2010 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
Creepy Crawly Crime by Aaron Reynolds and illustrated by Neil Numberman is the first in what I think is a planned series of graphic novels staring Joey Fly and his eager but clumsy assistant. In this introductory case the detective has to find the missing diamond pencil case, stolen at a recent high society party.

The story is narrated in a Raymond Chandler style fashion and illustrated in bright monochromatic palettes: purple panels, blue panels abound. These single color approaches help to mimi
Lanae Zaragoza
Jul 19, 2016 Lanae Zaragoza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edrd-614
This was a fun read! It is a mystery story with the main character Joey Fly, and his apprentice Sammy Stingtail. Their relationship is funny and witty. I like that all of the characters are bugs. The language used in the story is "detective talk," so it would be great for kids who love this genre. The author uses a lot of similes, metaphors and puns throughout the text, it seems to be the theme. The illustrations are great. The colors used help to set the tone of the story, for example, blue sha ...more
Nicola Mansfield
This is a wonderful crime noire in graphic novel format. Taking place in the Bug City all the characters are various insects and arachnids. Joey Fly is a Private Eye (da da daaaa) and Sammy Stingtail (a scorpion) is his sidekick. Written in classic thirties private eye style, "It was a muggy summer day when he walked through my door. Right away, I thought he looked like trouble. I was right.", the book is a pure joy to read. The crime is a fun one to keep kids guessing and following the clues an ...more
Heather Muzzy
Mom says: I like this version of a graphic novel because the font is so much better than Spiderman's ALL CAPS THAT WEAR OUT THE BRAIN! Also like the use of curior in blocks for narratation. The balloons are nicely arranged to naturally get the proper sequence.

Even if the target elementary kid hasn't seen an old style movie that this is spoofing... the'll better "get" the old style detective "spoof" when they see it done in a commercial or some day a really old movie.

Not bad and surely this will
Emilce Guzman
Audience: This book would be geared towards intermediate elementary students.

Appeal: It would appeal mostly towards kids that like mystery. Girls could be interested as well as it has female characters involved in the plot of the story. The characters consist of bugs and that can be interesting to students as well.

Application: I would have this book at a reading station where the kids would have access to it during reading time. I would then have them write a letter addressed to the character "D
Kristen
I love when graphic novels combine an element of older literature and make it more funny by using bugs as characters. I love the repertoire between Joey and Sammy in this book. Hilarious. Joey is very much the classic detective and Sammy is a loud kid who doesn't always seem to understand the word "finesse". The actual mystery is well-done and basic, with some good twists (but obvious ones) like a good mystery should have.

Overall, I really enjoyed this one and I may look for other Joey Fly graph
Jackie
Quite a cute story about a fly private eye with a bumbling scorpion assistant. The Creepy Crawly Crime pays homage to some very famous detectives and their cases. When a beautiful butterfly shows up at his office with a woeful tale of theft to spin, Joey Fly is on the case! Delilah accuses her best friend!

Throughout all the ups and downs of the case, Joey keeps a cool head and asks all the right questions. The thief is caught, but will friendships be repaired? A fun, quick read with delightful
Nancy Jo Lambert
This graphic novel detective story is created for younger readers, however I found some of the jokes and humor to be above what kids will get. Also, the classic crime/ detective film noir stuff, they also won't get.

However, Joey Fly is a funny, believable detective that kids will enjoy, and I see this being a big hit with my graphic novel kids who have been clamoring for more graphic novels!
Samantha
May 03, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic detective story with bugs for characters. Joey is a fly and gets an assistant, Sammy the scorpion. A beautiful butterfly hires Joey to solve the case of her missing diamond encrusted pencil box. As the unlikely duo investigate the crime they find that jealousy and friendship is at the heart of this case.

Good artwork, funny text, and great characterization. Recommended for middle grades.
Abby
Oct 29, 2009 Abby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix, children-s, mystery
"Life in the bug city. It ain't easy. Crime sticks to this city like a one-winged fly on a fifty-cent swatter." Cute and charming kid's comic take on a pulp detective novel, with insects replacing the regular human actors. A little too text-heavy for my preference, but the illustrations are simple and cheery, sure to appeal to any kid, especially the kind that loves bugs. Could be a hit with older kids who loved "Diary of a Worm" and "Diary of a Spider" when they were reading picture books.
Robin
Got a free copy of this book which I added to my giveaways for the summer reading club so before I gave it away, I thought that I would read it for myself. It's a mystery featuring a fly and a scorpion who team up to solve the crime of the missing pencil box. I'm sure kids will like it because it's cute and there are some funny bug references.
Donalyn
Dec 05, 2009 Donalyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Devised as hard-boiled detective story with bugs as the characters, I found the idea behind this book better than the implementation. I am not sure that the target market for this book (elementary school readers) would get the film noir asides and the jokes. Sharing this book with one of my students, a devotee of graphic novels, he declared it just OK.
Amy Brown
I really liked this graphic novel. I would say the audience would be third through fifth. The mystery isn't really hard to figure out but the humor is in the dialogue and artwork and that more than makes up for it. The relationship between Joey Fly and his new apprentice Sammy Stingtail are hysterical.
Debrarian
Fun hard-boiled detective graphic novel set in the insect world, with a world-weary, aphorism-dispensing fly detective and his bungling, snotty scorpion assistant, Sammy Stingtail. "Life in the bug city. It ain't easy." Detailed, expressive drawings; tons of funny one-liners; a silly mystery that actually centers solidly around the messy emotions in friendship. A very fun read.
The Brothers
I read this out loud to Dex (6yo) with different voices for each of the characters (thank goodness there were only 5 main characters!). It was really fun and engaging, though I think a lot of the "hard boiled" idioms used by Joey Fly went right over Dex's head.

Illustrations were very good - important in a graphic novel!
Deborah
This graphic novel resembles classic film noir. Soon after Joey Fly is approached by a scorpion who wants to me be his protege, Joey Fly accepts the case of the missing diamond pencil box. Not particularly exciting to describe, but I enjoyed the language, the tone, and the art. Perhaps more adults will enjoy this graphic novel than kids.

Grades 5-8.
Sherrie
Joey Fly is the insect answer to that most iconic detective, Agent Friday. Be prepared for plenty of laughs as Joey as his less than graceful assistant, Sammy Stingtail, track down the culprit in this first installment in the series. This graphic novel is targeted towards middle grade readers but parents will enjoy the word play and tongue in cheek humor. Fun and witty and highly recommended.
Leslie Fisher
Feb 26, 2016 Leslie Fisher rated it it was amazing
This is not the kind of book I would normally choose to read, but I got it from the library for some reason and I really enjoyed it. In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I made my husband read it to my kids because I thought they would all like it. It's like an old-timey detective book, with lots of comedy and mystery. I'll definitely be reading the second book in this series.
Karen Arendt
What an awesome story! I don't like graphic novels, but this one I did! Joey Fly is investigating the mystery of a missing pencil box. The characters are all bugs of one sort or another, but the best part is I felt like I was reading a black noir story. The dead pan humor was spot on for kids, especially those that like bugs! I am ordering this one for the library.
Josh Montgomery
Jan 24, 2012 Josh Montgomery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you like flies, and do you like spies? Then you have to read Joey Fly Private Eye. There’s a mystery Joey has to figure out. He has to find a stolen pencil box and find the culprit. If you want to know who the culprit was, you have to read the book. It's a great picture book that comes with a lot of cool sayings that I think are pretty clever and creative
Libby
This was a hilarious take-off on old private eye movies. It was a little long for reading aloud, but we got through it after about 2 weeks. It was worth sticking with, but I would recommend it more for confident readers who like graphic novels, mysteries, and bug humor.
  • Hamster and Cheese
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
  • Stinky
  • Sound Off! (Adventures of Daniel Boom AKA Loud Boy #1)
  • Prince of Underwhere
  • Stickman Odyssey, Book 1: An Epic Doodle
  • Adventures in Cartooning: How to Turn Your Doodles Into Comics
  • Lunch Lady and the League of Librarians (Lunch Lady, #2)
  • Fangbone! Third-Grade Barbarian
  • Frankie Pickle and the Closet of Doom (Frankie Pickle, #1)
  • The Ghost, the White House and Me
  • Pilot & Huxley: The first adventure
  • Gabby and Gator
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Evil Penguin Plan
  • Benny and Penny in The Big No-No!
  • Luke on the Loose
  • Little Mouse Gets Ready: TOON Level 1
  • The Shadow Door

Joey Fly, Private Eye (2 books)
  • Big Hairy Drama (Joey Fly, Private Eye, Book 2)