Start by marking “Getting to 'I Do'” as Want to Read:
Getting to 'I Do'

Getting to 'I Do'

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  138 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Dr. Patricia Allen's jam-packed seminars in Los Angeles have resulted in over two thousand marriages. Now you too can take advantage of this proven step-by-step program.

Here's what you'll learn:

How to attract the right man
When you should make the first move...and when you should not

Why equality in a relationship may not be what you're looking for
Why sex before commitment i
Published February 1st 1995 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published February 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Getting to 'I Do', please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting to 'I Do'

Nahid
Apr 18, 2013 Nahid rated it liked it
I have a couple things to say about this book.
Pros:
-This is a good book to go by if you're single. If you're married, it can give some insightful tips but I think it'd question your choice of spouse more than anything.
-Contrary to what some reviewers have said, I didn't feel that Dr. Allen made women the feminine, and men the masculine. She did make the majority of examples like this because it seems, according to her, that most women choose to be feminine. She has, however, always mentioned how
Kim
Feb 27, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book. I had heard a lot about it and how Dr. Pat Allen has had a big influence on many people (including Patti Stanger, the Millionaire Matchmaker, of whom I am a fan), so I decided to give this book a try.

Some of the stuff in this book is good old-fashioned common sense (i.e., don't sleep with a man until you're in a committed relationship and don't move in together until you're engaged or married). Some of the stuff just didn't make sense to me until I had thou
Erin
Sep 02, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it
This is a TERRIBLE title for a really interesting book on relationships that transcends marital status. This book was highly recommended by an author I really respect otherwise I wouldn't have made it past the title. I would recommend it for anyone - single, in relationship, married, divorced - particularly career-driven women. I don't necessarily buy into all of her opinions/points (although I feel like it's going to take a re-reading to fully understand the author's perspective) but the premis ...more
Colleen Wainwright
If you want to enjoy a little ego deflation, try telling the incredibly nice, normal Canadian family who invited you to their Palm Springs vacation house for the weekend that the book you've been absorbed in all day is about landing a husband. (Did it help that they were all voracious readers of literate nonfiction and literary nonfiction? I did not. O, the humanity!)

At least I've evolved to making no excuses for my choice in reading material. I'm interested in understanding how I've failed in
Gina
Oct 16, 2011 Gina rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I read this book on the suggestion of a friend. What the author says makes a lot of sense--you can't have two take-charge people in a relationship, and you can't have two you-take-care-of-it people in a relationship. What she suggests is tough--if you don't want to take the lead in a relationship, don't pursue the guy. But that just goes to show that I'm not very good at flirting lol.
Talia
May 01, 2016 Talia rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
While there are aspects of the book that I do agree with, the major premise irks me. I also am not a fan of the language (masculine vs feminine).. This book plays on gender roles like no other. As a a professional woman who hopes to have a family one day, I recognize the need for division of roles in the relationship, however I do not believe that they need to be allocated based on historical gender roles. For the modern professional woman and the modern family, I do not believe this book is fo ...more
Iyanna
Jun 23, 2014 Iyanna rated it liked it
This book was recommended to me by a friend. While reading it, I couldn't help but think, "Why did she want me to read this?" Anyways, I think the author is a little bit off her rocker. I would recommend reading this book but taking her advice with a grain of salt. The most interesting thing that I learned from the book and the thing that I agree with the most is the idea that every relationship needs a masculine & feminine energy. I'd never thought about it that way, but it makes perfect se ...more
Shana
Oct 20, 2015 Shana rated it really liked it
Despite it being outdated like an episode of Murphy Brown and embarrassing like being caught in a pair of Spanx, this book is both as enjoyable and useful as both. Its themes must not be taken out of context nor held under an uber-modern "post gender" lens. When applied to the two opposing energies inherent in everything in the natural world, this book is actually great. What's so great about it is that it provides easy to apply techniques for knowing yourself, communicating yourself, and holdin ...more
Whitney
Jan 26, 2014 Whitney rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, I thought the example throughout did an excellent job of highlighting the situations and techniques referenced. Even though I don't agree with everything the author says, I do appreciate the information she provides, and I did like the fact she admitted to her marital problems. I like the focus on "loving yourself" more than the other person and knowing when to stand your ground and walk away. I thought it was excellent to point that out as women tend to want to "work ...more
Anne
Jan 02, 2016 Anne added it
Shelves: relationships
Fantastic book regarding the masculine and feminine energy in relationships. It is not gender but in my in of work 'brain code' that influences motive, thoughts, and behavior in relationships. Dr. Pat does an excellent job explaining and 'telling it like it is' to guide you to a better more mature and lasting relationship.
Ann Johnson Davis
Jul 15, 2008 Ann Johnson Davis rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book. After reading it about 10 times in a row with highlighters in hand, I finally clued in. It made a HUGE difference in what I looked for in a potential hubby. Helped me steer clear of a few duds, helped me see what qualities were "golden" for me.

I recommend to read it once through w/o highlighters, then about 10 times more with. Color coded of course. Pink for girl stuff, blue for boy stuff, yellow for danger (caution!) green for what you're doing right, and because orange is the
Amani
May 01, 2016 Amani rated it liked it
3.5 STARS. Interesting strategy in terms of male/female energy and "sides". I wish she would have shared more in-depth stories. I will have to refer back to this in the future which could cause me to shift my rating. Definitely good communication tactics and rules to follow as you navigate the dating world.
Janie
Jun 12, 2010 Janie rated it liked it
found this book in my roomie's library of books.
i found myself really intrigued w/ what the author had to say about male and female roles. i also found myself wanting to discuss the many topics of gender roles w/ my friends, co-workers, strangers, .... ;). a good discussion book, definitely. the feminine energy/masculine energy terms put me off a bit, but after i got past the terminologies, the book became an interesting platform to discuss among single friends.
May
Jan 07, 2016 May rated it it was ok
While I can’t say that I will use all the advice of this book, I do think the author did a reasonably good job. I like the idea of choosing men to match one’s energy and desires. The ideas of feminine and masculine energy appear to make sense. We all know girl friends with these characteristics and problems. The manner in which the author articulates being realistic is quite well done.
J Michel
I though this author made many contradictory statements. She also has archaic attitudes towards women. Seems if you are a stay at home wife, you should just wait for your husband to make all your decisions and dress pretty. It scares me that there are people like this author writing books and having the world think they are experts.
Kimberly
Jan 19, 2011 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life. How? Awareness.

Now, I don't agree with everything that Dr. Allen preaches. However, I deeply enjoy and love this book.

I think it should be prime reading to anyone dating and relating to their sex of choice in this modern world.
Radell
Jul 16, 2013 Radell rated it liked it
Slightly confused after reading this book. She gives examples and goes into such detail about certain situations, which I found overwhelming at times. I found the discussion about energy very helpful and understanding your role as you want it in a relationship.
Alexis Collins
Nov 11, 2007 Alexis Collins rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Yes
This book is amazingly insightful for a growing women. It is about male and female energy in relationships. Essentially it breaks things down in a way that is clear and helpful for someone who is trying to better understand themselves in Romantic relationships.
Yolanda Cortez
Dec 11, 2014 Yolanda Cortez rated it really liked it
Shelves: autoayuda
Es un libro que describe de una manera diferente el punto de vista del hombre y de la mujer en una relación. "... nunca se comprometa con un hombre. Comprométase con una relación." Muy recomendable ya que se basa en casos para exponer su punto de vista.
Heidi
Sep 15, 2007 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: single women
This is a terrible title for an extremely helpful book. It really sheds enough light on how the mysterious male brain works, & enables any woman to communicate accordingly.
It helped me in my single days, and even now.
Melgore
Okay...don't laugh at the title. It was recommended to me and actually a great book about relationships in general- married or single- and what type of person you should look for to compliment you.
Kathy Alarcon
Sep 13, 2012 Kathy Alarcon rated it it was amazing
El mejor libro que he leído en toda mi vida desde que era una chica de 17 años. *-* Altamente recomendado.
Grace  Heyward
Jun 19, 2012 Grace Heyward rated it liked it
Shelves:
I'm currently reading, Getting to I Do. I'll let you know what I think as soon as I'm finished.
Ashley
Dec 06, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Fascinating take on relationships. Unfortunate title.
NazRana Kahn
NazRana Kahn marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Mireya Mo
Mireya Mo marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Ae.Desantiagogmail.Com
Ae.Desantiagogmail.Com marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Garrett
Garrett marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Intriqued by this book.... 1 5 Jul 30, 2008 08:39PM
  • The Journey from Abandonment to Healing: Turn the End of a Relationship into the Beginning of a New Life
  • 10 Simple Solutions to Adult ADD: How to Overcome Chronic Distraction and Accomplish Your Goals
  • The Little Black Book of Big Red Flags
  • A Couple's Guide to Communication
  • It's My Life Now: Starting Over After An Abusive Relationship or Domestic Violence
  • Why Men Are the Way They Are
  • Are You the One for Me?: Knowing Who's Right and Avoiding Who's Wrong
  • Love Factually: 10 Proven Steps from I Wish to I Do
  • Toxic In-Laws: Loving Strategies for Protecting Your Marriage
  • The Practice of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy: Creating Connection
  • We Love Each Other, But . . .: Simple Secrets to Strengthen Your Relationship and Make Love Last
  • The Ultimate Guide to Fellatio: How to Go Down on a Man and Give Him Mind-Blowing Pleasure
  • Toxic People: 10 Ways Of Dealing With People Who Make Your Life Miserable
  • Mate: Become the Man Women Want
  • Receiving Love: Transform Your Relationship by Letting Yourself Be Loved
  • Don't Call Me Mother: A Daughter's Journey from Abandonment to Forgiveness
  • The Dance of Deception: A Guide to Authenticity and Truth-Telling in Women's Relationships
  • Stalking Irish Madness: Searching for the Roots of My Family's Schizophrenia