Start by marking “Life as It Comes” as Want to Read:
Life as It Comes

Life as It Comes

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Sisters with nothing in common? That's Mado and Patty.

Studious and responsible, 15-year-old Mado is the family brain. Patty, on the other hand, is a carefree 20-year-old party girl who lives on her own and has plenty of boyfriends. The two are following divergent paths . . . until their parents die in a car accident and a family court judge reluctantly appoints Patty as he
Published August 12th 2008 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Life as It Comes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life as It Comes

Audrey  *Ebook and Romance Lover*
Sister's with nothing in common? That's Patty and Mado.

Studious and responsible, fifteen year old Mado is the family brain. Patty on the other hand, is carefree twenty year old party girl who lives on her own and has had and has plenty of boyfriends. They are both different and are following divergent paths until their parents die in a car accident while they are away at a vacation and a family court judge reluctantly appoints Patty as her sister's guardian.

Now these two improbable siblings f
Life as it Comes is a great read to pick up this summer, especially because it centers on the first summer that two sisters spend together after the death of their parents due to a car accident.

Mado is fifteen and Patty is twenty. You would think the opposite was true, though, because Mado is the responsible one and Patty is the reckless one. Mado makes the dinners, makes sure that the bills are paid, and is always doing homework so that she gets good grades. As long as Mado does well in school
Soobie's heartbroken
E ciò dimostra che, ogni tanto, spulciare tra gli scaffali della biblio fa bene.

WOW! Come sono rimasta sorpresa da questo breve romanzo.

Racconta la storia delle sorelle Maddy e Patty Yazinsky. Che poi, non capisco perché la povera Mado diventi Maddy in italiano. L'assonanza tra i due nomi non aiuta, almeno all'inizio, a differenziare le due protagoniste. Le prime pagine sono state traumatiche anche se davvero le due sorelle non sono per nulla simili.

Maddy ha 15 anni ed è quella con la testa sull
Three and a half-stars. This French/European teen novel is a real tonic to many plastic teen offerings. After their parents are killed in a car crash, quirky twenty-something and out-of-wedlock-pregnant Patti "takes responsibility" for her far more responsible 15-year-old sister, Mado. Quick read, recommended.
so good i couldn't put it down!
In Life as It Comes by Anne-Laure Bondoux, Mado and Patty are sisters and their parents passed away in a car accident. Patty becomes Mados guardian. Patty not only has to worry about Mado but she has her own kid on the way. They must keep the baby a secret or the family court can take Mado away from Patty.
In Life as It Comes by Anne-Laure Bondoux, two sisters, Mado and Patty, go on a vacation every year but, this year is different. Mado and Patty fall head over heels for two brothers that live
The fiction book, Life As It Comes, by Anne-Laure Bondoux, is about two sisters, Mado and Patty, who are nothing alike. Their parents died in a car crash, and now live together. Patty is only 21-years old and is now her 15-year old sister’s, Mado, legal guardian. Now they’re forced to rely on each other emotionally and physically.
Mado’s irresponsible sister, Patty, gets pregnant with her, now ex, boyfriend’s baby. While on vacation to their parent’s old beach house, they struggle to take care
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jocelyn Pearce for

Mado and Patty are sisters. Now that their parents are gone, killed in a car crash on their way to the family's vacation home, they're the only family they've got. Still, though, they're very different people. LIFE AS IT COMES is about their life together after the accident.

Patty is her younger sister's legal guardian, and they're doing the best they can together. However, life is further complicated when Patty reveals that she is several months pr
Originally published in French in 2004, this book was translated and published in the USA in 2007. The author, Anne-Laure Bondoux, has just won the ALA's Batchelder award for her book "A Time of Miracles". "Life as it Comes" is more of a teen story than the other books I have read by this author. In fact, each of her books has been very different, but well executed. In this story, two recently orphaned sisters must cope with their grief and try to get along. The eldest, Patty, is age 20, but is ...more
Jun 05, 2008 Hazel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone...but primarilly girls.
Mado and Patty are sisters recovering from their parent’s death in a car accident. The only problem is they are as different as night and day. Mado a 9th grader is incredibly intelligent with a knack of responsibility. Patty, on the other hand, is a carefree party girl who has an accustomed habit of having many boyfriends. By the time summer vacation rolls along both of them are happy to get out of their apartment. But while trying to relax in their country home their lives only deepen in more d ...more
I've read this in French. French is not my favourite language to read, because it takes me so long to read everything. The book might have been fine if read it in English or Dutch, I just didn't enjoy it in French.
Grazia Gironella
La vita come viene (ital.) - Storia per adolescenti, abbastanza semplice nella trama, ma raccontata bene e profonda come significato. Autrice approvata.
This book give a new perspective on life. It's an amazing story! I never wanted to put it down.
Mira Issa
a MUST read book!!!!!
Sierra Rowland
This book was ok. The beginning and end were kinda slow. The middle had good pacing and was very intresting. Its about 2 sisters- Patty and Mado- who lost their parents in a car crash. Patty is now Mado's guardian and they are trying to get their lives back on track. Patty leaves to go to Amsterdam for a weekend and Mado later finds out shes pregnant. They leave for a vacation were they both fall in love and Patty delivers her baby.You'll have to read to find out what happens next!
Jan 11, 2009 Terry rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Savvy teens and the adults in their lives
Recommended to Terry by: I read a review
"You'll be back before the leaves start to fall." It's the narrator's, Mado's, theme. The novel spans but a few months -- August, September, October -- but plenty happens. It could be a coming-of-age novel if Mado weren't already, at fifteen, the grown up in her family. It's her older sister who needs to grow up, to come of age. A quick read with its fill of surprises.
I was quite young when I read this, so there were some parts I was blur but in the end I learn a life lesson that's rare from books. The burden the lil sis carries was over bearing & the carelessness of the older sis makes me scream. But they both grew up (in their own way) and that's great!
French novel about 2 sisters living together after their parents die in a car accident. Sister Patty who is 20 and rather carefree confesses she is pregnant, the responsibility for keeping the family together falls on the younger (15) Mado.
french novel about 2 sisters living together after the unexpected deaths of their parents (car accident). when 20yo sister Patty confesses she is pregnant, the responsibility for keeping the family together falls on 15yo Mado. quirky and heartfelt.
Emily Rose
I think the fact that it was originally written in French had something to do with it, but this book was boring and plain and a little bit confusing as to where these girls actually lived at first. I eventually had to put it down.
Translated from the French. A 19 flighty sister takes guardianship of her more resonsible younger sister They create a life for themselves after their parents sudden death. I enjoyed their story.
Sashini. M
This book was probably one of my favorite books of all time!!!! I know this book is really sad at first but when u get through the book you'll end up loving it!
M Reynolds
I think the book must have lost something in the translation from the original French, because I hated this book. There was no point to it, and it was AWFUL.
This book either had you roaring with laugher or your mouth shut close with shock or suspense. Overall this was cute book that I would recommend
I saw this book at my library and had to pick it up. This was definitely a change for me and I enjoyed it. (more in-depth review coming soon)
Kristina Lenarczyk
This book was just okay for me. It wasn't the worst book I've ever read, but it wasn't even close to being the best.
Jennifer Meyer
This was an easy read, and while I enjoyed reading it, it is not one that would enthusiastically recommend.
Le moins complaisant des romans pour adolescentes. Très touchant, bien écrit, adorable et même snif snif.
this book is amazing.
its basically about real life.
EVERYONE should read this book.
I loved it.
  • Because of You (Because of You, #1)
  • The Encyclopedia of Immaturity: Volume 2
  • The Motley Fool Investment Guide for Teens: 8 Steps to Having More Money Than Your Parents Ever Dreamed Of
  • Lizzie at Last
  • Forever Changes
  • The Invisible
  • I Love I Hate I Miss My Sister
  • 33 Things Every Girl Should Know About Women's History: From Suffragettes to Skirt Lengths to the E.R.A
  • Girls on the Verge: Debutante Dips, Drive-bys, and Other Initiations
  • Volunteer Vacations: Short-Term Adventures That Will Benefit You and Others
  • Graffiti Girl
  • Tiffany's Table Manners for Teenagers
  • Milagros: Girl from Away
  • The Starplace
  • Alligator Bayou
  • The Summer Sherman Loved Me
  • Let Me Play: The Story of Title IX: The Law That Changed the Future of Girls in America
  • The Law of Loving Others
Anne-Laure Bondoux has received numerous literary prizes in her native France. Among her previous books published by Delacorte Press is The Killer’s Tears, which received the prestigious Prix Sorcières in France and was a Mildred L. Batchelder Honor Book in the United States.
More about Anne-Laure Bondoux...