Start by marking “To Find and to Keep (Keeping You, #1)” as Want to Read:
To Find and to Keep (Keeping You, #1)

To Find and to Keep (Keeping You #1)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  422 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Four years ago Ryan's parents disowned him for being gay. To escape their threats, he ran away to Canada. Now his twin sister Nicole is getting married to his best friend Peter, and Ryan will risk anything to attend. Help arrives in the most unexpected form: Peter's older brother Daniel, the man Ryan had loved from afar.

Part of the Dreamspinner Press 'To Have and To Hold'
Published June 16th 2009 by Dreamspinner Press (first published June 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about To Find and to Keep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Find and to Keep

Mandy*reads obsessively*
This is one for my sweet tooth.
Ryan was kicked out at 18 for telling his parents he was gay, he left an has been barely making it the last four years.
When he sees that his twins sister is marrying his best friend he goes back to home and is found outside the church by Daniel, the best friends older brother and the guy Ryan had and has been crushing on forever.
Daniel is now wealthy and it's totally a Cinderfella- love -forever -all will be well - everyone is happy except the evil parents kind
Christy Loves 2 Read
I really adored this very sweet story of a man coming home again and finding all his dreams can come true. I truly felt for Ryan as no one should have to go through what he did in the four years after his parents threw him out. The fact that he got up the courage to return for his sister's wedding told me so much about the kind of man he was. This was the first Serena Yates book I read but I don't think it will be the last.

When Ryan got up his courage to tell his parents he was gay, they told hi
Lena Grey
“To Find and To Keep” is not a deep, realistic plunge into gay erotica. It's more like a fairy tale--sweet, sappy, improbable and delightful and there's even a happily ever after ending. Take the Cinderella story. She and Ryan had a lot in common. They were both sad, lonely, forsaken young people. They were treated badly by those who should have supported them. Both go through trials and tribulations and are eventually restored to their rightful place with someone who loves and appreciates them ...more
Andrew Grey
I read this story a while ago and reread it again recently. I found it incredibly endearing. The characters were warm and likable. As I read the story I could feel the pain and heartbreak that went along with the family's rejection. I understand Ms. Yates has another story about these characters in the works. I'm ready for it... soon.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
I love sweet romantic stories like this. The writing is great and the story flows smoothly so it is easy to get into it. One of those books that made me happy reading it
MsMiz (Tina)
Carla *Jen7waters*
To Find and To Keep is a small little book that tells Ryan’s first heartbreaking, and then everything-will-be-okay story. He has been expelled from home and hometown by his parents for being gay and when a few years later he learns his sister is getting married he’s determined to go back home just to see her in that special day. At his arrival the first person he encounters is Daniel, his old crush, who the reader gets to know immediately had feelings for Ryan as well, and who takes him to his h ...more
This was a quick, light read full of tender moments between Ryan and Daniel.

I was so in the mood to read something light and sweet today that I've read the whole book. Serena's writing is simple and lovely in this so, if you're in the mood for something like that, go read this book, you won't regret it.

This was my first m/m book and I don't regret it at all. Both Ryan and Daniel are adorable and sensitive men and I hope their personalities are more explored in the sequel, which I fully intend on
At 85 pages this is a short story, but it packs a lot into these pages; I enjoyed it very much. It's sweet, tender, and left me with an awesome gooshy feeling... like I just wanted to pick Ryan and Daniel up and hug 'em to death. Well, you know what I mean... I hope.
I love how they found each other again and how, this time, they were able to move past being just friends and show how they felt about each other.
Ryan, oh my heart was breaking for him at the beginning; not knowing if we was going
Completely unrealistic storyline and dialogue. Reads like it was written by a 15 year old fangirl. Also, don't be fooled by the "85 page" length - the type and spacing are humongous.

Now, with that said, I'll also say that the sequel to this book, To Keep and to Love, is about 10 times longer and 10 times better written in comparison. (I actually accidentally read the sequel first.) So if you want to give this author a try, I'd recommend skipping this one and trying something that she's written
Lexi Ander
This is a very touching story about Ryan, who was kicked out of his home when he was 18 when he came out to his parents. Now four years later, he's back in town to secretly watch his sister get married to his best friend.

This is one of those stories that makes you wonder why you waited so long to read it. I loved Ryan's courage and cautious hope. His shyness and blushing was absolutely adorable. Now to go off and find the sequel!
Sara Bell
I enjoyed this one. It spoke to the incurable romantic in me. I like the thought that some people have a one and only out there waiting for them. I snapped up the sequel with fiendish excitement.
Veronica /  V
If you want to read something really sweet, kind of fairytale story this is your book. If you want action and fireworks don't bother.
For me it was just lovely.
wow I really loved this I am getting the second on as I type!! Nice one Serena!
This was a little too sweet for my tastes.
Erotic Horizon
I was attracted to this book by the cover – it looks different, it has this fairy tale look to it and as compared to the masses of covers with nekkid men this was a looker. I was also hoping for something different as well.

I got difference in the fact that the book feels like it’s the entire middle section of a longer book – so there was no beginning to know why Ryan was in the situation he was in, and rather than the obvious – the reason he came back – there wasn’t anything more to the book.

Dec 06, 2009 Keitorin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gay fiction readers, people looking to be cheered up
Interesting idea for the character Ryan. I definitely liked that, plus his sister and Peter.

I do think the relationship between Daniel and Ryan was a bit over-the-top. It was like trying to fit a longer relationship into just two days, especially with the use of endearments escalating like that.

I definitely recommend this to people looking for a fluffy short story (with a smidge of angst/plot) to read to cheer them up. =)
A lovely read. To think you have lost everything and then to have someone believe in you is powerful stuff indeed... off to read the sequel... I want to know what happens to Ryan and Daniel next...
I don't usually read short stories and novellas, but the blurb was enticing. The story didn't disappoint. It's pure escapism - sweet, tender love. I enjoyed it immensely and I hope to read more by this author.
Mar 04, 2010 Tory rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
It was a lovely sweet story. It’s the kind of book that makes you feel all warm & snugly inside especially when it cold outside. Can’t wait to read ‘To keep & to Love’ to see their story progress.
It was a fun, quick little read.

The only problem I had with it was that I kept underestemating the age of Ryan. He didn't act his age at all, rather more like a 16 year old.

Still liked it.
Mara Ismine
This was a sweet story and an easy feel-good read at 75 pages. A great choice for those days when you need a quick shot of the warm-fuzzies to get by. It left me with a smile on my face.

This is a super sweet little pick me up story! I would have loved for it to be a little longer with the conflict drawn out a bit, but for the length it was, it worked out.
I'm in a good mood so I'm going with 2 stars. Seriously, that's being kind. Awkward, cringe worthy, insta-love/marriage proposal, cinderfella gone crazy...just odd.
Ryan and Daniel are a joy. I love romance and this is pure romance with just enough of real life problems mixed in to keep it interesting.
A.K.M. Miles
I loved this book. Very nicely done. Waiting for the next one... hurry.
A little too short, but a good read.
Emily Moore

Ryan has been living on his own and barely getting by for four years. After his parents disowned him and kicked him out when he came out to them about being gay, Ryan moved all the way to Canada. He was determined to stay out of the lives of his twin sister Nicole, best friend Peter and Peter's brother Daniel so that his parents wouldn't make their lives difficult. Over the years he has kept up with his sister and friends as much as possible via the internet, and when he sees that Nicol
  • Broken (Broken #1)
  • Got Mistletoe?
  • Falling (Falling #1)
  • Timeless
  • Power Play
  • Under My Skin (Under My Skin, #1)
  • Texas Hold 'Em (Poker Night, #1)
  • Smart Alex
  • Bad Boys, Bad Boys (Boys in Blue, #1)
  • Dude Looks Like a Lady
  • Reckless Seduction (Reckless, #1)
  • Silver and Gold
  • A Red-Tainted Silence
  • Taking Work Home (Lord and Master, #2)
  • My Heart is Within You (Triquetra, #1)
  • Ice Cream on the Side
  • To the Highest Bidder
  • The Carpenter and the Fairy
I’m a night owl and start writing when everyone else in my time zone is asleep. I’ve loved reading all my life and spent most of my childhood with my nose buried in a book. Although I always wanted to be a writer, financial independence came first. Twenty-some years and a successful business career later I took some online writing classes and never looked back.

Living and working in seven countries
More about Serena Yates...

Keeping You (2 books)
  • To Keep and to Love (Keeping You, #2)
The Mistletoe Phenomenon (Mistletoe Science, #1) Finding Elliot (Men of Riverside, #1) To Keep and to Love (Keeping You, #2) The Elevator Mechanic (Workplace Encounters, #1) Rescuing the Librarian (New Horizons, #1)