Start by marking “Windswept House” as Want to Read:
Windswept House

Windswept House

The Cold War has ended. With a scope and daring not possible until now, an unlikely international alliance of top-level political, financial, and religious interests sees the way clear at last to its ultimate goal: the establishment of a single global society. Utopia.

These are men with nothing in common but immense power and a towering ambition for still more. With world u
Published July 13th 1998 by Main Street Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Windswept House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Windswept House

Victor
May 18, 2012 Victor rated it liked it
Very slow book, patience is required.
Andrew Ziebro
May 17, 2013 Andrew Ziebro rated it it was ok
I would rate it 4 stars for the premise and the historical content of the story, even though presented as fiction. Unfortunately the writing is cliched and it moves at a snail's pace which is how I could barely finish the book (it also involved flipping some pages to get through many over-blown descriptions and scenes). This book badly needed editing to shorten it and move the story along much better. Also, the characters didn't grip me at all...everyone was too typecast.

Jeremiah
Jun 03, 2012 Jeremiah rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this and I am not even Catholic. Historical fiction thriller, very well done. I didn't care for the ending but lived up to the hype.
Kenneth
May 20, 2012 Kenneth rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This book is poorly written no doubt.

However it reads fast. It keeps the reader interested. The subject matter is the stuff of best-seller caliber.

I suppose Martin is really the Vatican insider that he is often thought of to be which tempts the curiosity of his novels concerning the actual facts.

For whatever strange reason I have a lingering affection for the old world plus modernity plus American Catholicism that Martin represents. The Fulton Sheen kind of Catholicism that believes that the
H. P. Reed
Martin Malachi's writings, whether fictional or "fact", appear to come from a very disturbed mind. Perhaps, as he claims elsewhere, this book is only 20% fiction. How does he know the deep workings of his church? He seems to be in the grip of a conspiracy theory so profound that it skews, without shortening, the meanderings on these pages. Where was his editor. Perhaps more importantly, where was the psychological help he appeared to need? I found this book appalling, and I'm not a Catholic. The ...more
Crystal
Aug 08, 2015 Crystal rated it it was ok
I just could not finish this book, which rarely happens. There were too many levels of intrigue, too many names, the charachters were superficial in the extremity of their beliefs (liberal/evil; superconservative/good). The author said in an interview that 85% of this book was true. If that is the case, the Catholic Church has been infested with either evil or well-intentioned enemies. Set in the pontificate of JPII and knowing where the Church is today, the premise of the book that Satanists we ...more
George
May 24, 2013 George rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
I forced myself to make it through the book. I agree with others that it was in dire need of editing. The introduction is exciting and then it doesn't pick up again till about page 300. On the positive side it has everything from devil worshipers, masons, to murder. The end leaves you hanging but there was suppose to be a sequel; since Fr.Martin died prior to finishing the sequel well never know the popes decision. In a nutshell the book is about a small group of evil priest, bishops, and cardin ...more
Stephen
Dec 14, 2010 Stephen rated it it was amazing
Fascinating with a well developed plot. The ending let's you decide what happens and is subject to each persons perspective. One can argue, the Pope is still surrounded by plotters and conspirators and will be for the foreseeable future. The Church needs good, honest priests and laity to remain 'true'.
Roger Buck
Jun 06, 2014 Roger Buck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chilling … Martin claimed this novel was 80 per cent true. Sorting out the fact from the fiction isn't easy - but there is still very much to be gained from this "novel". I have more about this book in my review here:

DROPPING OUT
Feb 19, 2013 DROPPING OUT rated it liked it
Perhaps more than a little over the top for some people, but Father Martin spun a good yarn. Moreover, people whom I know who are "in the know
say that Martin admitted that "85% of the book is true."
Vicki
Apr 30, 2013 Vicki rated it it was ok
I have to admit I was expecting more from this book. It was good from the aspect of mystery and intrigue but I felt the ending was more of a cliff hanger for part two than an ending that ties up loose ends. Glad I finished it but probably wouldn't recommend as a must read.
Brad
Jul 05, 2012 Brad rated it it was amazing
A great work of Catholic fiction...but at least loosely based on real facts and real people. The end left the reader hanging, but upon further review, this is the type of book for which a less-satisfying ending makes some sense. I've read this book in its entirety four times.
Deborah
Feb 01, 2009 Deborah rated it liked it
It took me longer to read because I started it at a bad time. Liked the book but not satisfied with the ending.
Donna
May 24, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it
Invaluable for insight into how the Vatican acctually works. The writing style is to be slogged through rather than smoithly flowing. But the subject matter compensates for it.
Avalina Kreska
Feb 08, 2015 Avalina Kreska rated it liked it
A long-winded read but the gist of the story is compelling. Fr.Malachi Martin died not long after threatening to reveal the high ranking cardinals involved in satanic worship...
Joy
Jul 06, 2012 Joy added it
Great book. fiction based on REAL people.
Victoria Amator
Nov 30, 2015 Victoria Amator rated it it was amazing
My expectations were surpassed by the drama describing the evil rituals in the Vatican. A must read for those who study history can see the truth will out always.
Judith
Judith rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2011
Susan Scanlan
Susan Scanlan rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2013
Joann Sands
Joann Sands rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2015
Papi
Papi rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2014
linden m e moore
linden m e moore rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2015
Fran Reddy
Fran Reddy rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2012
Marta
Marta rated it it was ok
Jan 13, 2012
Colleen
Colleen rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2008
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2017
Christopher Clarke
Christopher Clarke rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2013
Debi Van Zandt
Debi Van Zandt rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2012
Greg
Greg rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Miracle of Father Kapaun: Priest, Soldier, and Korean War Hero
  • The Holy Bible, Douay-Rheims Version
  • Seven Lies About Catholic History: Infamous Myths about the Church's Past and How to Answer Them
  • Happy Are You Poor: The Simple Life and Spiritual Freedom
  • The Path to Rome
  • Glimpses of the Devil: A Psychiatrist's Personal Accounts of Possession, Exorcism, and Redemption
  • The Simone Weil Reader
  • In the Rift (Glenraven, Book 2)
  • Athanasius: The Life of Antony and the Letter to Marcellinus (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • The Song of Bernadette
  • Eugenics and Other Evils: An Argument Against the Scientifically Organized State
  • He Leadeth Me
  • Loss and Gain
  • The Living Wood: Saint Helena and the Emperor Constantine
  • Home-Alone America: The Hidden Toll of Day Care, Behavioral Drugs, and Other Parent Substitutes
  • The Spiritual Combat and a Treatise on Peace of Soul