Start by marking “The First Star: Red Grange and the Barnstorming Tour That Launched the NFL” as Want to Read:
The First Star: Red Grange and the Barnstorming Tour That Launched the NFL

The First Star: Red Grange and the Barnstorming Tour That Launched the NFL

In The First Star, acclaimed sports writer Lars Anderson recounts the thrilling story of Harold "Red" Grange, the Galloping Ghost of the gridiron, and the wild barnstorming tour that earned professional football a place in the American sporting firmament.

Red Grange's on-field exploits at the University of Illinois, so vividly depicted in print by the likes of Grantland Ric
Published December 29th 2009 by Random House (first published December 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The First Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Star

Cheryl Gatling
It's hard to imagine today, but there was a time when the American public simply was not interested in professional football. Football was a college game. Working men, who loved baseball and boxing, thought football was for hoity-toity rich kids, not a real man's sport. Those who did follow the college game thought it wholesome and noble, and wanted it kept pure from the dirty, corrupt influence of professionalism. There were only a few professional football teams, and all of them were going bro ...more
J.C.
Feb 13, 2013 J.C. rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, sports
3 1/2 stars. An entertaining story about Harold "Red" Grange and the tour that transformed professional football (the NFL) from an obscure, illegitimate and shady organization into the most popular sport in America. Without Red Grange, the National Football League would have collapsed in financial ruin and we'd all be sitting around watching figure skating on Sunday afternoons.

The writing style of this book was very easy and entertaining. There was a lot of information that I knew little or noth
Diane
May 03, 2016 Diane rated it really liked it
I liked this book and I enjoyed hearing about Red Grange and his sporting ability. I really enjoyed the beginning of the book which told all about Grange's exploits and his stats and how good of football player he really was. I mean, the man lifted ice as a job to make money to get into shape for football.
The second half of the book was different in that it told more about how professional football was formed, and they needed a star which is what Grange provided. It was both the owner and an age
John
Nov 09, 2013 John rated it really liked it
I remember when my son found a book at the library about Bigfoot, and was so fascinated that he would share his Bigfoot knowledge with anyone who would listen. I found myself reacting the same way to this book. Before I started, I knew very little about Red Grange: he was an early star of the Chicago Bears, who had also played at the University of Illinois. But did you know that Illinois used to be GOOD? An Red Grange once scored six touchdowns against Michigan? And George Halas played one baseb ...more
Matt
Dec 30, 2014 Matt rated it really liked it
As a big Illinois and Bears fan, I am a completely biased reviewer. Having said that, I really enjoyed this book and the story of launching the NFL. The book is written in a typical sports writer fashion and a little long winded at times. However, the subject matter is very interesting. The author also did a great job intertwining the stories of Grange, Halas, and Pyle. I recommend this book to any NFL, Bears, or Illini fan.
Chandler
First half of this book had a nice flow, but the second half felt like a laundry list of Grange's infamous barnstorming tour, and less a biography of the first true star of the sport of football. Overall, I did learn some new stuff however.
Mike
Apr 07, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it
There are tons of book's on baseball's history, but not so many on football. The history of the game remains much more untold, and this is a tremendous story of it's first star. Well written period piece.
Spectator4
Mar 01, 2012 Spectator4 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put this book down...absolutely devoured it. Would have loved to have seen Grange play in his prime...can't believe they had to play 10 games in 18 days...in a time when players played both offense and defense. The NFL owes its current success to Grange and George Halas.
Christopher
Jul 06, 2016 Christopher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographies
Great story of Red Grange and his smarmy manager, and how they created the modern NFL. Oh yeah, along with a guy named George Halas, the only guy to get rich from owning an nfl franchise.
Michael Mckenna
Dec 29, 2013 Michael Mckenna rated it it was ok
I was underwhelmed. Had read an excerpt in Sports Illustrated which was great, but the rest of the book was just okay.
Jim
Jim rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2010
Al
Al rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2010
victor harris
victor harris rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2011
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
May 12, 2010
Emone'
Emone' rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2015
Ed P
Ed P rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2011
Chris Willis
Chris Willis rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2011
Brenda
Brenda rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2010
Walt Mccarthy
Walt Mccarthy rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2013
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2010
Andrew H
Andrew H rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2015
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2010
Rod Peeks
Rod Peeks rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2013
Jay Dawson
Jay Dawson rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2017
Ben Wilhite
Ben Wilhite rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Aaron
Aaron rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
David
David rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2011
David
David rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2015
Toothy_grin
Toothy_grin rated it it was ok
Aug 30, 2010
Anders
Anders rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2010