The First Star: Red Grange and the Barnstorming Tour That Launched the NFL

The First Star: Red Grange and the Barnstorming Tour That Launched the NFL

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In The First Star, acclaimed sports writer Lars Anderson recounts the thrilling story of Harold "Red" Grange, the Galloping Ghost of the gridiron, and the wild barnstorming tour that earned professional football a place in the American sporting firmament.

Red Grange's on-field exploits at the University of Illinois, so vividly depicted in print by the likes of Grantland Ric...more
Published December 29th 2009 by Random House (first published December 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The First Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Star

Cheryl Gatling
It's hard to imagine today, but there was a time when the American public simply was not interested in professional football. Football was a college game. Working men, who loved baseball and boxing, thought football was for hoity-toity rich kids, not a real man's sport. Those who did follow the college game thought it wholesome and noble, and wanted it kept pure from the dirty, corrupt influence of professionalism. There were only a few professional football teams, and all of them were going bro...more
J.C.
3 1/2 stars. An entertaining story about Harold "Red" Grange and the tour that transformed professional football (the NFL) from an obscure, illegitimate and shady organization into the most popular sport in America. Without Red Grange, the National Football League would have collapsed in financial ruin and we'd all be sitting around watching figure skating on Sunday afternoons.

The writing style of this book was very easy and entertaining. There was a lot of information that I knew little or noth...more
John
I remember when my son found a book at the library about Bigfoot, and was so fascinated that he would share his Bigfoot knowledge with anyone who would listen. I found myself reacting the same way to this book. Before I started, I knew very little about Red Grange: he was an early star of the Chicago Bears, who had also played at the University of Illinois. But did you know that Illinois used to be GOOD? An Red Grange once scored six touchdowns against Michigan? And George Halas played one baseb...more
Spectator4
Couldn't put this book down...absolutely devoured it. Would have loved to have seen Grange play in his prime...can't believe they had to play 10 games in 18 days...in a time when players played both offense and defense. The NFL owes its current success to Grange and George Halas.
Chandler
First half of this book had a nice flow, but the second half felt like a laundry list of Grange's infamous barnstorming tour, and less a biography of the first true star of the sport of football. Overall, I did learn some new stuff however.
Michael Mckenna
I was underwhelmed. Had read an excerpt in Sports Illustrated which was great, but the rest of the book was just okay.
Mike
There are tons of book's on baseball's history, but not so many on football. The history of the game remains much more untold, and this is a tremendous story of it's first star. Well written period piece.
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Gary Gudmundson
Gary Gudmundson marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Lynn
Lynn added it
Sep 16, 2013
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2013
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
May 29, 2013
Dillan
Dillan marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2013
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2013
Kklemencic
Kklemencic marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2012
Cindy AL
Cindy AL marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2012
Jackchristopherhill
Jackchristopherhill marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2012
Scott Carter
Scott Carter marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2012
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Carlisle Vs. Army: Jim Thorpe, Dwight Eisenhower, Pop Warner, and the Forgotten Story of Football's Greatest Battle The All Americans Pickup Artists: Street Basketball in America The Storm and the Tide: Tragedy, Hope, and Triumph in Tuscaloosa The Proving Ground: A Season on the Fringe in NFL Europe