Start by marking “Tornadoes!” as Want to Read:

Tornadoes!

Tornadoes are funnel-shaped clouds that can cause massive destruction on the ground. Their winds can swirl faster than 260 miles per hour! Using her acclaimed combination of clear text and detailed illustrations, Gibbons explains how tornadoes form, the scale used for classifying them, and what to do in case one should be near you.
Published April 1st 2009 by Holiday House (first published March 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Tornadoes!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tornadoes!

Seana Gneiting
Mar 12, 2017 Seana Gneiting marked it as to-read
Jessica
Mar 17, 2017 Jessica rated it really liked it
This was good during our nonfiction unit that I read it the next day to the students. We learned about the ratings and what to do if there is a tornado.
Brianna Smith
Nov 28, 2015 Brianna Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
Tornadoes by Gail Gibbions is a wonderfully illustrated informational picture book. She describe how tornadoes are formed, how they are classifies, where they most commonly appear, and most importantly what to do if you experience a tornadoes. Readers are introduced Tornadoes, the swirling, funnel-shaped clouds that when they make contact with the ground cause massive destruction. However, Tornadoes can be very destructive, readers learn most are classified as the least violent kind and last les ...more
MaryMargaret Kelly
May 03, 2015 MaryMargaret Kelly rated it it was amazing
Information

I really enjoyed this book. Being from Minnesota we don't worry as much about tornadoes so we never learned too much about them. I thought this book was great. It gave great information and explained things in a way that younger students can understand. I thought it was well written and illustrated.

This book would be great to read for students in kansas or any state that has a lot of tornadoes. This would be great for a read aloud and then put into centers for later reading on their
Whitney Scott
Mar 29, 2016 Whitney Scott rated it really liked it
This book is all about tornadoes. It informs the reader on what a tornado is, how it is formed, and what it is like. The scale in which tornadoes are measured along with the damage each size is capable of is described. Along with this, there is information about the record breaking tornadoes and the kind of damage they did. It also includes a section that tells what to do in the event on a tornado.

I thought this book was very informative and was presented in a way that was perfect for students.
Collin Powell
This book has some similarities to another book written by Ms. Gibbons called Owl. The illustrations are done in a similar style and provide a good visual idea of how much damage is caused by tornadoes of different strength on the Enhanced Fujita scale. The book discusses how tornadoes form, how the power generated by the mix of warm, humid and cold, dry air can cause violent storms to arise very quickly. It explains where tornado alley is and gives specific examples of incidents that actually h ...more
Emily Garrison
Dec 05, 2016 Emily Garrison rated it it was amazing
This book has amazing illustrations which show tornadoes and the weather that proceeds them and follows them. The illustrations also show amazing depictions of cumulonimbus clouds which are the cloud type tornadoes come from. The book gives a definition for a tornado and then goes on in great detail about how tornadoes are formed and the types of damage they can leave behind. The reader can also learn about the Fujita Tornado Scale which measures the strength of a tornado based on wind speeds. T ...more
Chelsea
Dec 02, 2013 Chelsea rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, environment
If you want to learn about one of the world’s natural disasters and work on reading comprehension, this is a good book to use. The Tornadoes! book gives great detail about how tornadoes are formed, how they are classified, and what to do to stay safe. The pictures are colorful and give great description even without the words. The book would be a key tool in science but it actually could have a lot of perks in literacy learning too. The book does have a lot to comprehend, so discussing vocabular ...more
Anna Hernandez
Gail Gibbons seems to be a nonfiction author that has books on many, many subjects. This book describes how tornadoes form and how they are classified. It also gives safety tips for what you should do if you are near a tornado.
I liked how much information the book was able to give. It has a lot of words, but it is not hard to read. Tornadoes seem to be a subject that lots of kids are interested in, and this book gives facts without any drama. I also liked the pictures. They are illustrations in
Jessica Maynard
Nov 28, 2012 Jessica Maynard rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational
This is a very well written informational book. I thought it gave a very clear understanding of the basic information about tornadoes. It clearly illustrates how tornadoes form and all the signs associated with tornadoes. The illustrations are more like diagrams that explain the text. There are arrows that help show the movement of the wind and different systems. I really like how the different types of tornadoes are demonstrated in the illustrations. It makes the information easier to understan ...more
Maggie Ward
Jun 18, 2014 Maggie Ward rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science, weather
When children are afraid or there are many tornado drills, a teacher may turn to this book to aid her teaching the children about what a tornado is. It begins by describing the weather outside during a tornado: “It’s raining hard; the winds are strong”. Another strong point of this book is the highly scientific terms it uses to describe what is happening in the sky. Additionally, it talks about how tornados are classified and rated by naming the wind speeds and types. “Tornadoes!” also highlight ...more
Margaret Chind
Jan 16, 2014 Margaret Chind rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Memoria Press First Grade
We read this today after starting Hurricanes (also by Gail Gibbons). We live in a tornado area and she's heard of then before so they kept her attention much more than hurricanes, but the connection has intrigued her.

This is for our early weeks in the Memoria Press First Grade Curriculum. It has been a connection to discussing emergency services. The National Weather Service is mentioned in this book while we discussed the Red Cross with Hurricanes. It was great hearing her reiterate or rather
Liz Benitez
Sep 15, 2013 Liz Benitez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
Interest Level: 1-3

This book explains to children all about tornadoes. Gibbons explains how tornadoes are form and gives good illustrations on which way the wind moves. This book tells us how to classify tornadoes and lets children know what to do in case it happened. Very informational and a great way to explain to children what they are and what to do to protect themselves. After reading the book students can make an information pamphlet that teachers people how to protect themselves from a to
Shannon K
This was a very informative, easy to read and understand book about tornadoes. There were several points in this book that I did even know so I think children could really benefit from having this book read to them. There are countless activities that one could do with children after reading this book; one could be practicing tornado dill. The illustrations in this book are colorful, detailed, and very interesting to look at. I like how they depicted the damaged that each size of tornado could d ...more
Kendra Loch
Apr 02, 2016 Kendra Loch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I absolutely loved this book! Gail Gibbons did a wonderful job setting up the scene for a typical stormy day in which a tornado would develop in. She then interweaves how the formation of a tornado occurs, the different classifications of tornadoes and the damage that they can cause, along with two memorable tornadoes in history. At the end of the book she writes what to do when a tornado approaches and some facts and resources about tornadoes.
Joyce Munzwandi
Grade Level:3-5
Jennifer Borduin
This is an interesting book that delves a little into how tornadoes are formed, and focuses more on the fujita tornado scale, and what each tornado devastation would be like. Obviously, this would be great in a science weather unit, but this could also be used in math to discuss how they group each tornado by wind speeds, and children can obtain the previous years tornado data and graph out how many tornadoes in EF-1 to EF-5.
Callie Risse
Oct 18, 2011 Callie Risse rated it really liked it
This is one of many informational books for children by Gail Gibbons. This book includes a history about tornadoes and the severity scale, as well as geographical areas in which tornadoes are common. There is also information about parts of a tornado and different parts of a storm. This book would be extremely useful for a research project!
Christina Deroche
Apr 01, 2014 Christina Deroche rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Tornadoes is a wonderful book for children. It has a lot of information on tornadoes. The pictures are wonderful and show a lot of detail.

This book would be used in the science section. We could use it in spring during tornado season. We could also use it if we are just talking about weather. Children could learn a lot by this book even by just looking at the pictures.
Angela
Apr 18, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-content
Author: Gail Gibbons
Grade Level: 3-5
Content: Natural disasters, force

This book covers how tornados are formed and the devastation that is left depending on the wind speed. This book can be used to teach under the unit of force as wind is a natural force within the atmosphere. It would also be good to teach different classifications of tornados.
Amber
May 27, 2011 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Gibbons writes excellent books. We have not found much from her we have not liked. My three year old is into tornados right now and this book was a delight to share with him. He may not have been ready for a lot of the words but the pictures are the best part and he still got the meaning of the book.
Zara Younus
Grade 1-2 Weather and climate.

Students will be able to read about each weather and what each stage of the storm looks like. The cause and effect of each storm as well as what to do in case. Students can collect information about each type of weather in their weather notebook, so they will have a complete informational weather book at the end of the unit.
Philip Raber
Apr 09, 2016 Philip Raber rated it really liked it
I really like the informative, active illustrations with bright colors. The book contains good information about the formation of tornadoes and also how to safely protect yourself. The writing style and simple illustrations would lend itself to use as a read aloud. It also provides a nice summary of the key points on the last page, and also websites to visit for additional information.
Chelsea Bucci
Apr 17, 2012 Chelsea Bucci rated it liked it
This is a great book to read to 4th Graders while introducing the concept of weather. It connects to standards regarding how temperature, fronts, and precipitation affect weather patterns. Students will be able to investigate how tornado's are formed. As a follow-up activity, they could make their own mini tornado's with soda bottles and water.
Olivia
Oct 14, 2016 Olivia rated it really liked it
Gail Gibbons is always an author that my class chooses to study. This book about Tornadoes gives us a ton of information about tornadoes. I always pick and chose what parts of the book that I read to students just because it contains so much information. Students love all the pictures and learning new facts!
Margaret Boling
4/5/13 ** Good introduction to the physical processes that result in tornadic activity. This is the book that will form the core of the science & literacy activity that my grade-level team (4th) is hosting at school this week. Looking forward to the kids' reactions.
Rachel Dinwiddie
Just like I said previously about "Hurricane," "Tornadoes" would be a great book to read when studying natural disasters. Students could be given a response activity of creating their own tornado or city after a tornado hit.
Brooke Metten
Oct 15, 2015 Brooke Metten rated it really liked it
This could be great to discuss after the first tornado drill! Tornados are extremely scary for anyone at any age so this book could explain what some don't understand about tornados and strike some interest. It contains very well written technical terms and explains those well!
Kimberly
3.5 stars. Very informative, but I was kind of creeped out by how many of the illustrated people look like they are smiling as they survey the damage that tornadoes have wreaked on their neighborhoods.
Alyssa
This book is all about tornadoes and how they are funnel-shaped clouds that can leave behind a lot of destruction. Their winds are really fast, up to 260 mph. It also talks about how they are formed and when it's time to take shelter.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • Tsunami!
  • From Caterpillar to Butterfly
  • The Incredible Life of Balto
  • How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World
  • Blockhead: The Life of Fibonacci
  • A Wizard from the Start: The Incredible Boyhood and Amazing Inventions of Thomas Edison
  • Wonder Horse: The True Story of the World's Smartest Horse
From gailgibbons.com: I was born in Oak Park, Illinois, in 1944. Even as a little child, I was always busy putting books together. Sometimes I would bind them with yarn to hold the pages together. I've always loved drawing and painting. I was also a very curious child. My parents tell me that I was always asking lots and lots of questions.

Later, I went on to the University of Illinois, where I stu
More about Gail Gibbons...