Start by marking “Tornadoes!” as Want to Read:

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Here is an explanation of just what tornadoes are, how they form, the scale used for classifying them, and what to do in case one should be near you.
Published April 1st 2009 by Holiday House (first published March 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Tornadoes!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tornadoes!

MaryMargaret Kelly

I really enjoyed this book. Being from Minnesota we don't worry as much about tornadoes so we never learned too much about them. I thought this book was great. It gave great information and explained things in a way that younger students can understand. I thought it was well written and illustrated.

This book would be great to read for students in kansas or any state that has a lot of tornadoes. This would be great for a read aloud and then put into centers for later reading on their
Maggie Ward
When children are afraid or there are many tornado drills, a teacher may turn to this book to aid her teaching the children about what a tornado is. It begins by describing the weather outside during a tornado: “It’s raining hard; the winds are strong”. Another strong point of this book is the highly scientific terms it uses to describe what is happening in the sky. Additionally, it talks about how tornados are classified and rated by naming the wind speeds and types. “Tornadoes!” also highlight ...more
Christina Deroche
Tornadoes is a wonderful book for children. It has a lot of information on tornadoes. The pictures are wonderful and show a lot of detail.

This book would be used in the science section. We could use it in spring during tornado season. We could also use it if we are just talking about weather. Children could learn a lot by this book even by just looking at the pictures.
Jessica Maynard
This is a very well written informational book. I thought it gave a very clear understanding of the basic information about tornadoes. It clearly illustrates how tornadoes form and all the signs associated with tornadoes. The illustrations are more like diagrams that explain the text. There are arrows that help show the movement of the wind and different systems. I really like how the different types of tornadoes are demonstrated in the illustrations. It makes the information easier to understan ...more
Rachel Dinwiddie
Just like I said previously about "Hurricane," "Tornadoes" would be a great book to read when studying natural disasters. Students could be given a response activity of creating their own tornado or city after a tornado hit.
Brooke Metten
This could be great to discuss after the first tornado drill! Tornados are extremely scary for anyone at any age so this book could explain what some don't understand about tornados and strike some interest. It contains very well written technical terms and explains those well!
3.5 stars. Very informative, but I was kind of creeped out by how many of the illustrated people look like they are smiling as they survey the damage that tornadoes have wreaked on their neighborhoods.
If you want to learn about one of the world’s natural disasters and work on reading comprehension, this is a good book to use. The Tornadoes! book gives great detail about how tornadoes are formed, how they are classified, and what to do to stay safe. The pictures are colorful and give great description even without the words. The book would be a key tool in science but it actually could have a lot of perks in literacy learning too. The book does have a lot to comprehend, so discussing vocabular ...more
Oct 20, 2014 Margaret rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Memoria Press First Grade
We read this today after starting Hurricanes (also by Gail Gibbons). We live in a tornado area and she's heard of then before so they kept her attention much more than hurricanes, but the connection has intrigued her.

This is for our early weeks in the Memoria Press First Grade Curriculum. It has been a connection to discussing emergency services. The National Weather Service is mentioned in this book while we discussed the Red Cross with Hurricanes. It was great hearing her reiterate or rather
Alison Stewart
My 5 year old LOVES this book because daddy loves tornadoes. Very helpful book for explaining tornadoes and the rating system to young children.
Another recommended, thumbs-up picture book our 7-year-old tornado aficionado.
Shannon K
This was a very informative, easy to read and understand book about tornadoes. There were several points in this book that I did even know so I think children could really benefit from having this book read to them. There are countless activities that one could do with children after reading this book; one could be practicing tornado dill. The illustrations in this book are colorful, detailed, and very interesting to look at. I like how they depicted the damaged that each size of tornado could d ...more
Very informative for a children's book.
Liz Benitez
Interest Level: 1-3

This book explains to children all about tornadoes. Gibbons explains how tornadoes are form and gives good illustrations on which way the wind moves. This book tells us how to classify tornadoes and lets children know what to do in case it happened. Very informational and a great way to explain to children what they are and what to do to protect themselves. After reading the book students can make an information pamphlet that teachers people how to protect themselves from a to
Joyce Munzwandi
Grade Level:3-5
Jennifer Borduin
This is an interesting book that delves a little into how tornadoes are formed, and focuses more on the fujita tornado scale, and what each tornado devastation would be like. Obviously, this would be great in a science weather unit, but this could also be used in math to discuss how they group each tornado by wind speeds, and children can obtain the previous years tornado data and graph out how many tornadoes in EF-1 to EF-5.
Zara Younus
Grade 1-2 Weather and climate.

Students will be able to read about each weather and what each stage of the storm looks like. The cause and effect of each storm as well as what to do in case. Students can collect information about each type of weather in their weather notebook, so they will have a complete informational weather book at the end of the unit.
Author: Gail Gibbons
Grade Level: 3-5
Content: Natural disasters, force

This book covers how tornados are formed and the devastation that is left depending on the wind speed. This book can be used to teach under the unit of force as wind is a natural force within the atmosphere. It would also be good to teach different classifications of tornados.
Callie Risse
This is one of many informational books for children by Gail Gibbons. This book includes a history about tornadoes and the severity scale, as well as geographical areas in which tornadoes are common. There is also information about parts of a tornado and different parts of a storm. This book would be extremely useful for a research project!
Chelsea Bucci
This is a great book to read to 4th Graders while introducing the concept of weather. It connects to standards regarding how temperature, fronts, and precipitation affect weather patterns. Students will be able to investigate how tornado's are formed. As a follow-up activity, they could make their own mini tornado's with soda bottles and water.
Gibbons writes excellent books. We have not found much from her we have not liked. My three year old is into tornados right now and this book was a delight to share with him. He may not have been ready for a lot of the words but the pictures are the best part and he still got the meaning of the book.
Grades 3-5. Classification of tornadoes. Weather and natural disasters.

This book is a great book to introduce tornadoes and allow children to see what happens when a tornado forms. It also allows for students to understand how certain tornadoes are classified based on wind speeds.
This is a good non-fiction science book, but its text is more advanced or complex than one would expect in a picture book. The book itself and illustrations are directed to a younger audience, but the tornadoes definitions and explanations are geared more to an older audience.
4/5/13 ** Good introduction to the physical processes that result in tornadic activity. This is the book that will form the core of the science & literacy activity that my grade-level team (4th) is hosting at school this week. Looking forward to the kids' reactions.
Kelly Whelchel
Science Grade 4 Non-fiction Topic: Weather/Tornadoes

Use to teach a lesson on tornadoes. Splint the class into different groups and have each group specialize in a certain F-type tornado. Use this book to help the students research.
Natalie Schmitt
This book discusses tornadoes and how they form. This book would be great to read when discussing natural disasters with a class. With the kid friendly language the students will grasp knowledge on tornadoes.
I will definitely being checking out more titles by Gail Gibbons that is for sure. The short text was clear, packed full of information and all of it was accompanied with great illustrations.
This is an awesome book to bring out when discussing nature causes in the world. I used this book in a science-kit, where students could read the book, and re-create their own man-made tornadoe.
Kathryn Joyce
This book would be great to introduce in younger grades when introducing weather or in older grades when talking about natural disasters. Takes content and makes it engaging. Grades k-5
Great factual information in a colorful picture book format. Gail Gibbons is always great at making the complex subject simple to understand for young readers.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »