Start by marking “Sir Cumference and All the King's Tens” as Want to Read:
Sir Cumference and All the King's Tens

Sir Cumference and All the King's Tens (Sir Cumference #6)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  257 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
A clever introduction to place value.

Sir Cumference and Lady Di planned a surprise birthday party for King Arthur, but they didn’t expect so many guests to show up. How many lunches will they need? And with more guests arriving by the minute, what about dinner? Sir Cumference and Lady Di have to figure out a quick way to count the guests to bring order to the party.

Sir Cum
Published July 1st 2009 by Charlesbridge (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sir Cumference and All the King's Tens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sir Cumference and All the King's Tens

Heather
Jun 08, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My kids (almost 7 yo ds & 4.5 yo dd) absolutely love this series with Sir Cumference. (I like it too) We have read the series twice in less than the past 24 hrs!! ds rated the series as a whole 9 stars out of 5 which says alot as he usually gives everything 3.

This adventure was a great visual for place value and showing how helpful it is in counting or grouping large quantities by grouping guests into tents of place, visually demonstrating thousands, hundreds, tens and ones. If your child i
Sylvia Ulmer
I didn't find this to be very helpful for my 5th graders when we were reviewing place value. I can see how it might be useful when covering CCSS.Math.Content.2.NBT.A.1 - Understand that the three digits of a three-digit number represent amounts of hundreds, tens, and ones; e.g., 706 equals 7 hundreds, 0 tens, and 6 ones. Really, though, I don't think it provides a good visual representation of place value. The tents worked, but they were a "stretch" (hehe). If the kids could see the single peopl ...more
Dolly
Apr 30, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We discovered these books about Sir Cumference on the "Tumblebooks" online audiobook site (tumblebooks.com). Our girls really enjoyed watching them read aloud and I think the math concepts are fairly easy to understand, even for children in grades K-2. Because the story itself is fun, it makes the educational focus of the book less apparent and more appealing.

We found that we hadn't read all of the stories in this series and we were delighted when we found the remaining books at our local librar
Lindsay
Jun 20, 2011 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I teach reading, not math. I'm in favor of incorporating literacy into math and math into reading, but I'm not sure how well this book accomplishes either. Mathematical concepts like place value and how place values are added together to become a larger number are unclear. Pros: good opportunities to read numbers, exposure to math terms (though out of context when used as character names), comical illustrations. Biggest com: I was really bothered by how illogical the book was in its consideratio ...more
Terry
The story is a cute idea. The wordplay is great, but I expect adults get it more than kids. While the story did a nice job explaining ways to count big numbers, I found it cumbersome. There is also too much text. The illustrations need more activity to keep young readers engaged. Trying to find a girl chasing a chicken is a tangent that distracts kids from the goal.

Pros: Kids who love math - or those trying to figure out big numbers - will find something to love in Sir Cumference and All the Kin
Ruth Ann
Lady Di and Sir Cumference plan a surprise birthday party for King Arthur. So many guests arrive that it is difficult to plan the menu. Thank goodness, they know about grouping and place value.

I find that all children rarely have a complete and firm concept of place value so I welcome this book as another tool to solidify the concept. I think the book would have been more effective if the final crowd count included a variety of different digits instead of all nines. I think it would have helped
April
Nov 12, 2012 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. Rating: 4
2. A book review from Children's Literature says, "Having noticed that King Arthur seemed a bit gloomy the last time they saw him, Lady Di of Ameter and her husband Sir Cumference decide to throw a surprise birthday party in his honor. They invite "people from the entire countryside" to the celebration, and soon their castle is bursting! Still, as the big day approaches, more people keep coming. So many guests arrive, in fact, that it is difficult to know exactly how many there are.
Brindizi Hamblin
I used to read sir cumference books all the time and I hadn't read this one yet. Well, until now. It was such an awesome book and good for teaching kids about counting with tens. I love the creative way the author taught math. When I was in junior high and actually learning geometry and what not, i would refer back to those books for help. These books are way fun and super creative and for someone who hates math (like myself) they're the kind of books that make math a little more fun.
Janice
Mar 04, 2014 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
The more of these books I read to my children the more of them I want to own. This is our third book in this series and I can't wait to order another. It is fun that there are characters that reappear on almost every page, my children enjoy looking for them and pointing them out to me. It is also a nice story that is fine to be read alone, but has the ability to lead into a deeper discussion of math concepts. This will be an excellent additional resource for discussing place value.
Kenzie Cornelison
Nov 25, 2014 Kenzie Cornelison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
I really thought this was a cute series. I think that any of these books would be a fantastic addition to any classroom. Not only can you have a fun story to read to the class I think that you can go through and help come up with ideas for how to solve the problem Sir Cumference and Lady Di are faced with. Or help understand different math problems. I think that would help kids see it in a different way or discuss how everyone might come to the same answer but in different ways.
Kim T.
Apr 30, 2014 Kim T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I genuinely liked this book. I read it upon the recommendation of my librarian, and I am so glad I did. While it was a delightful math story with chomp, I loved the language and vocab. components. I can easily say that this book is totally worthy of a revisit. Oh yes, and the illustrations were also quite marvelous. I look forward to reading the other books in this series.
Maggie Burgess
I like this book because it gives a real world example (of yesteryear perhaps, but really, people still have parties/gatherings today!) of why it's helpful to group things in 10s, 100s, etc when counting large groups. It also brings up place value. Would love the Sir Cumference series for my classroom library!
Karen Dransfield
Jun 04, 2015 Karen Dransfield rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
These are fun. This story is about trying to spring a surprise party for the King and having to work out how many people are there so they can plan the meals. Lots of counting and getting confused and learning to count big numbers. A lovely story introducing counting in big groups.
Ashley Whiteley
This is a long book and harder to understand. This is definitely a book for older children. I mean I had to read it over again to get what was going on. But I have never been good at math so who knows! The story keeps it interesting though and I think it would be a fun way to teach math.
Loryn Tindall
Mar 17, 2015 Loryn Tindall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mathematics
This book has one of the most clever titles I have seen! It was really cute and would be fun to read with elementary children. It involves knights and ladies which is sure to spike more interest than just math. Lots of adding and groupong.
Shelli
Feb 14, 2014 Shelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, math
A math adventure with a king, knights, subjects, a castle and place value. A fun read to share with your kids when discussing different ways to more easily solve a problem and what each place value represents in a number.
Amy
-Math literature
-Place value
-Counting people for a dinner party, how can they count them all faster (rather than one by one)?
Angela
Best for kids ages 6 and up.
Early Literacy Skills: Vocabulary, Narrative Skills

From cover:
The guests come marching ten by ten.
Sir Cumference and Lady Di are planning a surprise birthday party for King Arthur, but their plans are turning into royal mess. More and more guests arrive, until the castle is full from tower to moat. And the guests need to be fed! The knight and lady race to count tens, hundreds, and even thousands of partygoers in this introduction to place value.

Another math adventure
Mariah Gerber
I thought this was a cute spin on the old story. I enjoyed this book very much.
Bekkah
Aug 27, 2012 Bekkah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ece-math, ece-total
The use of various math terms as names for characters in this book was adorable. The story was well written and would be a great tool for introducing the concept of grouping. I think it would be fun to act this out as a whole group activity with the class. Have the children divide into groups of ten to determine how many tents the class would need to attend the king's party, extend by having them group themselves into groups of five or maybe have them try to determine how many tents would be nee ...more
Maria Caplin
Aug 18, 2014 Maria Caplin rated it liked it
I love the idea only wish it went above 1,000 place value.
Heather
Feb 02, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Great series to teach tricky math concepts.
Margaret
'Eh. I have been looking forward to this and any of the Sir Cumference books after enjoying Cindy Neuschwander's pattern and travel books with brother and sister duo. But I wasn't overly impressed. Maybe later. The idea of math stories is good to me, but I have enjoyed others more.

Also I got this from paperbackswap and it was disappointing to find I was sent a cheap book fair edition and not the "real" book. Alas.
Shani Cooper
This book is appropriate for introducing advanced place value concepts to children. After reading this story, a teacher could check their students' understanding by creating a place value chart with ones, tens, hundreds, and thousands columns. The students should be able to identify which digits of a number should be placed in which column in the chart as well as the equivalent of each digit. For example, two hundred fifty six contains two hundreds (200), five tens (50), and six ones (6).
Khadija Bensaadoun

"Sir Cumference and All the King's Tens", is a great book to use when teaching place values. The story centers around the king's birthday. Many guests are attending the party and Sir Cumference has to group them into tens, hundreds, and thousands to count them all!
Activity: Group the students into 4 groups and each group is given a bag full unknown number of beads. The students task is to group the beads into ones and tens to figure out the total number of beads. Grades 1-4
Christina Edwards
This book could be incorporated into a lesson on place value. King Aurthur's family tries to put together a party for him but attenpts fail until they realize the importance of grouping by tens, hundreds, and thousands. This book shows students how much easier it is to count larger number by grouping. This is illustrated in the book as the family starts grouping the increasing number of guests that come to the party.
Kimberlydaniels
Nov 22, 2010 Kimberlydaniels rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 40-books
Genre: Traditional Literature/fantasy Copyright;2009

A silly traditional tale with a twist. Sir Cumference and Lady Di are planning a birthday party for King Arthur. We go through the traditional story with a mathematical twist. I didn't like this book personally, the text was long and involved and contained many, many math references. I imagine that math teachers in the older grades would love this book! :)
Rebecca Martin
Sep 28, 2012 Rebecca Martin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
This is a fun book to read to introduce the concept of place value. After reading the book I would have the students practice the ones, tens, and hundreds place. I would make various centers that they could visit throughout the week. The centers I would use are Race to Make Ten, Myster Number, and Measure Me (have students measure each other using unifix cubes and then break them down into tens and ones).
Evelyn
Apr 19, 2012 Evelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sir Cumference and All the King's Tens by Cindy Neuschwander is a great book that can be used in a math lesson on counting by tens. This book uses the elements of a fairy tale to teach students how to count by tens past 100. This book could also be used to teach students about place value and the hundreds, tens, and ones place. I would use this book for students in 1st-3rd grade.
Ted Parsons
Jun 13, 2012 Ted Parsons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the content, format, and illustrations of this book. The content of place value was well explained throughout the book, start small and moving to large numbers. The format was effective because it gave a good storyline that made sense while teaching the concept of place value. The illustrations were well done and by using a fairy tale theme, student will enjoy reading this book.
  • Multiplying Menace: The Revenge of Rumpelstiltskin
  • What's Your Angle, Pythagoras? A Math Adventure
  • How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin? (Mr. Tiffin's Classroom Series)
  • Math-terpieces: The Art of Problem-Solving
  • A Remainder of One
  • Measuring Penny
  • The Goblin and the Empty Chair
  • Good Thing You're Not an Octopus!
  • Apple Fractions
  • The Sunflower Sword (Andersen Press Picture Books)
  • Crickwing
  • Life of Fred: Apples
  • How Big Is a Foot?
  • Two of Everything
  • Believe Me, Goldilocks Rocks!: The Story of the Three Bears as Told by Baby Bear
  • The Greedy Triangle
  • The Penny Pot
  • Ladder To The Moon
Cindy Neuschwander is a native Californian, born in San Diego, CA. Her father was a naval officer and later a high school teacher and her mother was a homemaker. She has one younger brother.

Cindy graduated with a BA in International Studies from Willamette University and earned an MA from Stanford University. She has taught all grades in elementary school as well as high school.

Cindy began writing
More about Cindy Neuschwander...

Sir Cumference (10 books)
  • Sir Cumference and the First Round Table