Start by marking “The Late Talker: What to Do If Your Child Isn't Talking Yet” as Want to Read:
The Late Talker: What to Do If Your Child Isn't Talking Yet

The Late Talker: What to Do If Your Child Isn't Talking Yet

Every parent eagerly awaits the day his or her child will speak for the first time. For millions of mothers and fathers, however, anticipation turns to anxiety when those initial, all-important words are a long time coming. Many worried parents are reassured that their child is "just a late talker," but unfortunately, that is not always the case. Balanced with a mother's p
Published July 1st 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Late Talker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Late Talker

Shana
Feb 22, 2010 Shana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting, health
This book is a starting point for parents of "late talkers." My son was 2 when we found this book. I read it with skepticism.

Lisa Geng (author) is not a Doctor or Scientist. She was a frustrted Mom of a late talker. She & some other parents wanted to find answers!! The result? Talking children, happy children...and eventually this book.

Lisa Geng has a facebook group that is a companion to the book. There she answers all questions personally. From that group I learned which supplements to gi
Inder
Jan 12, 2011 Inder rated it liked it
Shelves: health, parenting
This book really focuses on apraxia, which is a neurological condition that can contribute to late speaking in children. While helpful in dealing with that diagnosis, this is not necessarily a "general" guide for parents of kids with a speech delay. I also found the chapter on encouraging children to talk (the only chapter I read in full), to be strangely high-pressure and parent-blaming. Overall, this left me feeling panicked and worried, rather than empowered. I think if I were coming to this ...more
Kelly
Feb 05, 2008 Kelly rated it liked it
This book mainly focuses on children with various forms of Apraxia. It does give some hints and tips on how to differentiate a "late talker" vs. one with a significant neurological issue. It also provides very helpful information on how to get your child the help he/she needs as well as how to best fight with an insurance company to get various therapies paid for.

I'd definitely recommend this book as a starting place for any parent with any sort of concern about their child's verbal skills.
Lindsay
Jan 23, 2008 Lindsay rated it did not like it
Shelves: work-related
Although there are some nice developmental charts and ways to "maybe" distinguish a late-talking child from one with more serious neurological issues, I was not a big fan of this book. I read it a while ago, so I'm not going to go into reasons why I thought I didn't like it and maybe be wrong remembering info in the book, but just know that I didn't like it!
Tamara B
Apr 06, 2008 Tamara B rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents of apraxic children, people looking for info on why thier child is a late talker
This book was so informative if you have a child with language delays, especially apraxia. It brought so many important points to life and made me feel like there were other people out there who really understood the difficulties we face everyday. It also provided a lot of information about what to do, where to go for help, and what the future holds for many of the "late talkers".
Rebecca
Feb 14, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Okay, granted this is specific to apraxia, but it gives good details and experiences from a doctor and a mother who have gone down that road before. The title might lead you to believe it's a general book, but it is rather specific. I found The Cow Says Moo to be a better general book, but this was a better roadmap to apraxia. Know what you want.
Beth
Mar 12, 2009 Beth rated it really liked it
A great manual for any parent whose child struggles with a speech language problem -- especially developmental apraxia. It has a great deal of info on dealing with the school districts and finding a qualified private SLP. Also some good advice on fish oil supplementation. A must read for any newly diagnosed families.
Traci
Aug 14, 2013 Traci rated it it was amazing
This book was very helpful in informing me of all the potential options out there for speech delayed or disordered kiddos. Since I have one we are taking some of the steps listed in the book to get him a proper diagnosis. Very helpful!
Traci
Apr 11, 2008 Traci rated it really liked it
My son is unofficially diagnosed with Apraxia and I found it to contain helpful quidelines and info on how to best help him. It gives me hope, yet at the same time kinda scares me. It is going to be a long hard process, but I know there can be success.
Ereksonkate
Aug 15, 2009 Ereksonkate rated it really liked it
Interesting book to read if you have questions about how your child should be developing language. The main focus is apraxia and gives several concrete, practical ways to work with your child if they have this.
Vmichelle Skinner
Feb 21, 2014 Vmichelle Skinner rated it really liked it
I didn't read this book cover to cover, but it was a great resource to understand where we're at as far as my toddler's language development right now. If you're wondering if you need to be worried, or not, and what to do next, check this book out.
Kerry DellaCava
Aug 31, 2008 Kerry DellaCava rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book if your child is having any difficulties speaking. I was reading this in an airport, and numerous people came up to me and told me that it helped them. It also specifically addresses apraxia.
Patricia
Sep 09, 2012 Patricia rated it liked it
Shelves: i-ve-read-it
Hoping to get a better understanding of my daughter's speech delays.

**Update**
Got a better conceptual understanding, but this book did not have any advice on how to help.
Lisa
Mar 03, 2012 Lisa rated it it was ok
This book focuses primarily on apraxia. My son has a language disorder, but is not apraxic, so this book wasn't as useful to us as "The Parent’s Guide to Speech and Language Problems."
Melissa
May 02, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents of delayed talkers
Recommended to Melissa by: Jeremy Despain
Shelves: boston-baby
I've never been so validated by a book before. If your child is a "late talker" read this book. It's truly amazing and lead Jeremy and me to the true diagnosis of apraxia.
Wendy Sumner-Winter
Wendy Sumner-Winter rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2010
Michelle Armer
Michelle Armer rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2015
Deb Ford
Deb Ford rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2014
Hala
Hala rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2016
Kirsti Call
Kirsti Call rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2009
Çağla
Çağla rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2012
Snmoffat
Snmoffat rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2009
Alyra
Alyra rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Danyell
Jul 20, 2009 Danyell rated it really liked it
Very detailed not for the lay person.
Murni
Mar 01, 2008 Murni rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents with young toddler
The book to help confuse parents about their children who didn't speak yet.
'kelly
'kelly rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2008
Freya Ngan
Freya Ngan rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Kristen
Sep 29, 2007 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent advice for struggles with true speech delays
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2013