Start by marking “The Monarch Of The Glen” as Want to Read:

The Monarch Of The Glen

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  227 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
The Monarch of the Glen
Mass Market Paperback, 315 pages
Published 2000 by Penguin Books (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about The Monarch Of The Glen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monarch Of The Glen

Gale
Mar 04, 2013 Gale rated it really liked it
REVIEW FOR: MONARCH OF THE GLEN
Compton MacKenzie

“Upholding the Honor of Clan Traditions in the Highlands”

Set in the Scottish highlands after WW2 this delightful book introduces several amusing characters—none more so than Hector, the proud but harassed laird of Clan MacDonald. Deadly serious when it comes to matters of clan honor and family loyalty, Ben Nevis (as he is called--not to be confused with the majestic peak of the same nostalgic name) booms edicts and issues florid
militaristic co
Hilary
Sep 18, 2008 Hilary rated it liked it
As the book description says: “a humorous novel.” I read it, of course, after having seen the BBC show on television. The spirit of the farce is in both, but the book lacked the sweet moments and the endearing characters. It was written in 1941, so that perspective made for some differences, as well. The plot was the hikers who wanted free reign to camp and hike where they like vs the laird, who wanted to lock all of the hikers in his dungeon for trespassing. There was an American couple visitin ...more
Dianna
May 12, 2010 Dianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read. Being a fan of the TV series I was curious to see how closely it followed the book - answer - hardly at all. The characters in the book are much "campier" and a comical stereotype of the Scots (at least I hope it's a stereotype). The TV series captured some of the flavor and setting of the book and took a few story ideas from it but that's about all.
Lorie Ahlander Maenza
Dec 31, 2009 Lorie Ahlander Maenza rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. There were moments where I laughed out loud! This story is set in the 20c. but some of the characters never left the 14c. I had just finished Nigel Tranter's "Robert the Bruce" trilogy and had a fresh understanding of the mindset behind some of the characters, which made them even more humorous for me. All the characters were fun. Great read!
Marisa
Jan 10, 2010 Marisa rated it really liked it
Nothing like the wonderful BBC show, but very good in it's own right. Peppered throughout with Scots-Gaelic words and facts and tartan colors, you really come out of this with a taste of the Highlands.
writer...
First published in 1941, this was a step back into history providing a bit of culture shock in the reading.

Hiking is a new pastime of young British society and the attempts of hikers to maintain free rein in camping locations is the issue. Their mistake? In thinking they can ignore the 'NO Camping' signs on the vast acreages of one, Donald MacDonald, Scottish Chieftain of the MacDonald clan.

A skirmish between them turns physical and results in dungeon time. An outright battle is launched by the
Meghan
Oct 18, 2014 Meghan rated it really liked it
I've watched a couple seasons of PBS's "Monarch of the Glen," and the opening sequence has, "Inspired by the Highland Novels of Compton Mackenzie" on it, so I went in search of the books. My library's ILL got the out-of-print book from West Texas University, ha ha. It's set in the 1920s, so the characters and storyline is completely different from the TV show, but it's still an enjoyable book, with colourful characters and a similar type of humour as the show. I'm going to see if there are other ...more
Michael Sigler
Jan 06, 2016 Michael Sigler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, the show is amazingly different from the book, and I couldn't help but imagine certain characters as their (sorta kinda) television counterparts, but all in all this is a fun and amusing read.
Highly recommended.
Kelly
Apr 07, 2008 Kelly rated it really liked it
Quote from book: 'As a matter of fact very few people can spell in Gaelic, and I always believe those who say they can only get away with it because nobody else can, if you see what I mean.'
Meghan
Jul 11, 2011 Meghan rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-british
Absolutely nothing like the TV series, but a jolly fun read anyways!
Leah
Jan 17, 2016 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-sarah
This was a fun escape to the Scottish Highlands. I'm not sure I would have related to it as well without having seen the BBC series first. The book is very different from the tv series though. Basically, the setting is the same, which is Glenbogle castle, and the Laird is the same, although his name is Donald not Hector. He was my favorite character on the series and he's my favorite character in the book. Incorrigible blusterer though he is, I just can't help but love him.

There is a little roma
Karen
Mar 23, 2016 Karen rated it liked it
Written in 1941 by Compton MacKenzie, The Monarch of the Glen is saturated with Scottish Highland folklore and Gaelic. It is, nevertheless, an enjoyable read. I do regret my lack of understanding about the many cultural references and heritage of its proud people.

The story takes place mostly at Glenbogle Castle and surrounding environs including four great mountains, or bens, called Ben Booey, Ben Gorm, Ben Glass and Ben Cruet. Donald MacDonald is a "Highland chieftain of long authentic lineage
Sally
This is a REALLY hard book to read. I only managed a few chapters. It is not that it is dense, nor is the language difficult - it is just very Scottish! It's hard to describe but basically there seem to be alot of Scottish 'in jokes' that are inexplicable if one is not Scottish nor knows anything intimate about Scotland. So I guess the question is why I am I reading this if I have no particular interest in or knowledge of Scotland? Well, I really liked the cover and I have heard the TV show is v ...more
Adrienne
Apr 16, 2014 Adrienne rated it really liked it
Really very funny. This one holds up well for its time. A little bit of political incorrectness, for sure, but also some very, very clever lines. Enjoyed it.
Delonna
Sep 08, 2014 Delonna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While the book and the tv series have very few similarities, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book. In fact, I loved it! I found myself chuckling out loud several times at Hector's character and the things he would say. I'm curious to check out other novels written by Compton Mackenzie. If you have watched the tv series and would like to read the book, don't go into reading the book thinking it's going to be similar to the tv series (or vice versa). The story lines are completely different. I wi ...more
Jill
Nov 01, 2014 Jill rated it it was ok
Love the tv series, but the book was just ok.
Natalie
Feb 22, 2016 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, classics
Chucklesome. Brilliant read.
Sue
Feb 14, 2016 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As much fun as the TV series!
Pam
Dec 02, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it
An entertaining farce.
Suzanne Eastman
Jun 07, 2014 Suzanne Eastman rated it liked it
It wasn't until after watching the BBC series that I found and read the book. I loved the series, but found the book a bit cumbersome to read, and I didn't quite get the same humor from the text as I did watching the series. Still the characters are endearing, and the settings are unique. Anyone wanting to "visit" Scotland in a book might find this book a good choice.
Sheila
Mar 29, 2015 Sheila rated it really liked it
Classic humourous stories set at Glenbogle in the Scottish Highlands. TV Series follows the journeys of the Laird of Glenbogle.
Val
May 08, 2014 Val rated it liked it
Shelves: byt-by-year
Compton Mackenzie wrote a lot of very funny short stories. These must have been a pleasant bit of escapism in war-torn Britain.
It was published in 1941.
Paul Kennedy
Fun farce about Scotland set between the wars.
Felicia Maffia
Definitely not like the BBC series that inspired me to read the book, but an interesting slice of a certain time period.
Jean
Aug 03, 2013 Jean rated it really liked it
Political situations of the British/Scottish society during WWII wrapped up in humorous dialogues and characters. Good stuff.
Kbullock
Oct 06, 2015 Kbullock rated it liked it
McKenzie was a pretty good humorist. Not in the same class as Wodehouse, but his better books are worth reading.
Tracy
Jan 02, 2011 Tracy rated it liked it
I listened to this one and so the Scottish, English and Canadian voices were pretty funny while the story was told.
Tressa
I found The Monarch of the Glen overly romantic, which didn’t appeal to me. I stopped listening.
Marcia Bianchi
Feb 25, 2011 Marcia Bianchi rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-audio-books
Delightful comical farce. Especially good as a book on CD, if the reader is good.
Kathy
Nov 30, 2011 Kathy added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Couldn't get into this. Maybe not the right time and place?
  • When They Lay Bare
  • A Scots Quair: Sunset Song, Cloud Howe, Grey Granite
  • Consider the Lilies
  • City of Laughter: Sex and Satire in Eighteenth-Century London
  • The Silver Darlings
  • The Bruce Trilogy: The Steps to the Empty Throne / The Path of the Hero King / The Price of the King's Peace (Robert the Bruce, #1-3)
  • The Pict
  • The Prince and Betty
  • Bedside, Bathtub & Armchair Companion to Jane Austen
  • Bonnie Prince Charlie: A Biography
  • The Life and Death of St Kilda
  • Boris
  • Gentlemen's Blood: A History of Dueling from Swords at Dawn to Pistols at Dusk
  • A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court 5
  • Evernote for Dummies
  • Silma Hill
  • The Damned Thing
  • The Monastery
Compton Mackenzie was born into a theatrical family. His father, Edward Compton, was an actor and theatre company manager; his sister, Fay Compton, starred in many of James M. Barrie's plays, including Peter Pan, or The Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up. He was educated at St Paul's School and Magdalen College, Oxford where he obtained a degree in Modern History.

Mackenzie was married three times and aside
More about Compton Mackenzie...