Start by marking “Land Keep (Farworld, #2)” as Want to Read:
Land Keep (Farworld, #2)

Land Keep (Farworld #2)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  2,034 ratings  ·  100 reviews
“Thrilling reads.” — Holly Newton, Meridian Magazine

Four mythical Elementals — Water, Land, Air, and Fire — have the power to save two worlds, Earth and Farworld, from a common enemy: the Dark Circle. In book one, Water Keep, a portal has been opened between the two worlds, allowing Marcus, from Earth, and Kyja, from Farworld, to combine their unique gifts and begin their
Published October 15th 2009 by Shadow Mountain (first published September 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Land Keep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Land Keep

Fablehaven by Brandon MullThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleGrip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon MullRise of the Evening Star by Brandon MullSecrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon Mull
Best of LDS Fiction
79th out of 225 books — 232 voters
Princess Academy by Shannon HaleFablehaven by Brandon MullThe Goose Girl by Shannon HalePrincess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day GeorgePrincess of Glass by Jessica Day George
Books by Utah Authors
195th out of 727 books — 349 voters

More lists with this book...

Ryelor
After reading the first installment of the Farworld series, I wasn't sure I would continue with the rest of the series. So, when I saw Land Keep, I had an internal struggle as to whether I should buy it or not, but finally gave in because J. Scott Savage happens to be a really awesome person and I wanted to at least support his work. I put reading it off for a while, but then decided to face the inevitable by reading it. Verdict: I loved it.

Land Keep takes the story from Water Keep and gives it
Sheila
What a fantastic second book in the Farworld series! Landkeep added a new dimension to Farworld and it's characters. I was once again amazed at the unique and wild creatures that J.Scott Savage continues to create in Farworld.

The story line is deeper and richer in this second book. There is added tension in the relationship between the two friends, Marcus and Kyja. They both are changing and growing as they mature and learn new things about each other.

The best scene in the whole book takes pl
Shauna
This series continues to amaze me....
It is truly a great fantasy story!
Filled with adventure, friendship, hunger for power, a hint of humor, and twist and turns along the way...and just wait until you read the very last line of the story...OH SO GOOD!
I am anxiously ready to read book 3 ~ Far World: Air Keep!

PS. Yes I really did read this book in ONE day...
It took me ALL day...but I just couldn't put it down :)
Jayme Swallow
So I blogged about books one and two at the same time. Check it out.

Tevin Johnson
Apr 02, 2014 Tevin Johnson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes fantasy and adventure
Recommended to Tevin by: my aunt
As I read this book I think J. Scott Savage did an perfect job of getting me into the story. Sometimes I wanted to yell at Marcus. But questions were answered as the journey happened. There was no stopping of bad guys. I don't know how he came up with the creatures he did. Some were disgusting which will thrill boys! And my favorite creature the Ishkabiddle. The book was a very good page turner and i couldn't put the book down, and the characters were really awesome and they were all magic. One ...more
Heather
“Water. Land. Air. Fire. Together, the balance of Farworld they keep.” Kyja and Marcus are on a quest to outdo the Dark Circle by convincing the four elementals of Farworld to work together. In the first book of the Farworld series, Water Keep, Marcus and Kyja were able to get the water elementals to cooperate, but now they have to travel to find the land elementals. Problem is, no one can tell them precisely where they are since they’ve been missing for thousands of years.

In this second install
Kami
- This adventure was even more thrilling than the first book! I really enjoyed this!

- I love the cover! I was a bit confused by it for a while, but after about half way through the book I was like "OH! That's who they are!"

- Mr. Z reminds me of an Ed Wynn character. I kept hearing his lispy voice.

- Some parts of the story were like reading a video game! My hands were itching for a controller! I was like "I could do that!" I think Farworld should be made into an RPG!

- I felt a lot more emotion in
Monica
I enjoyed this book more than I did the first one, and I really liked the first one. I thought Mr. Savage's writing improved, and the character development is very good. Marcus and Kyja are such a great team. They and their relationship drive this book and series. I love that they learn to work together. I love that they learn that by working hard and working together they can overcome obstacles, even with their disabilities. I love that they not only use their physical strength in their challen ...more
Candace Salima
Nov 12, 2009 Candace Salima rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Candace by: J Scott Savage
I just finished reading J. Scott Savage's Farworld Land Keep, book two of the Farworld series.

The backliner reads:

Four mythical Elementals— Water, Land, Air, and Fire— have the power to save two worlds, Earth and Farworld, from a common enemy: the Dark Circle.

In book one, Water Keep, a portal has been opened between the two worlds, allowing Marcus, from Earth, and Kyja, from Farworld, to combine their unique gifts and begin their epic quest to find the Elementals.

In book two, Land Keep, Marcus a
03MaryAnnD
Farworld: Land Keep
By:J. Scott Savage

Summary: Four mythical Elementals Water, Land, Air, and Fire have the power to save two worlds, Earth and Farworld with help form Marcus, a cripple from Earth, and Kyja, from Farworld. They combine their unique gifts and begin their epic quest to find the Elementals. In book two, Land Keep, Marcus and Kyja travel with Cascade, a Water Elemental from book one, Water Kepp,toward Land Keep, the home of the powerful Land Elementals. They find the Land Keep is emp
Steven
I Must say i was expecting more from this book i will release some spoilers but bear with me okay so apparently the girl that can't do magic after she steals someone elses magic is apparently a master wizard and later on in the book shes apparently a master swordsman that can keep up with Farworlds Strongest Warrior that also uses magic to fight so apparently she is better with a sword than the best swordsman in farworlds history.. She as far as i can tell is the only one that can control the wo ...more
06erikm
Farworld: Land Keep 2009
by J. Scott savage 369 pages
This book is targeted towards preteens- teenagers and anyone who likes fantasy. It opens with Marcus, Kyja, and Cascade sailing to a town to try and find the land elementals. Marcus is a disabled boy from earth that discovers he has magic. Kyja is a girl from Farworld, who has no magic. As everyone has magic in farworld, this makes her an outcast. Cascade is a water elemental, and decided to help Marcus and Kyja. They are trying to find the lan
Craig Everett
In this sequel to Scott Savage's first Farworld book (Water Keep), Marcus and Kyja continue their quest to recruit a member of each of the four elementals in order to save Farworld.

There is no lack of action or suspense in this new installment of the series. Moreover, Savage effectively raises the stakes and delivers a suspenseful fantasy thriller that is appropriate for all ages.

I particularly like the jumps back and forth from high fantasy Farworld to current-day Earth. It reminds me of all th
Scott
Land Keep is the second book in the Farworld series by J. Scott Savage. Marcus and Kyja are continuing their quest to gather the elementals together in order to save their worlds. Only when they have all four will they be able to open a drift and come fully into the other worlds.

As the title suggests this book details their quest to reach the Land Elementals. I thought this book had picked up the pace a little bit since most of the characters have already been introduced. Another effect of this
Magila
3.5

I might have rounded up on this book, but the overwhelmingly positive reviews gave me pause.

For me, this volume began a bit slow, and dragged some in the middle. Sure, there were some interesting events and plot development pieces, but there was also a fair amount of bleh. I appreciated the resolution of this installment's story arch, the series' expansion, and character development.

One major criticism is the seemingly adult take on the angst and struggle of the children who are the main ch
Sarah Nokleby
Oh, I struggled with my review of this!
I really enjoyed the first book of the series, Water Keep, and I think Savage has a lot to offer here. But it was overwhelming sometimes, you know? I am reading a book intended for teens, so I like to think I possess a little bit more of an attention span. But this book couldn't keep me riveted, because after awhile you feel like you are slogging through a swamp along with the characters. Only your swamp is a swamp of too much packed into a plot. Too many
Carol
Fun sequel to the first book. I just read Scott Savage's review of his own book #1. That was fun. Guess what--he gave himeself a 5, and said he wouldn't write anything less than a 5. This is a middle-grade to YA fantasy, and is the sequel to Far World: Water Keep. I imagine we'll get at least 2 more books from the series (Air Keep and Fire Keep) but where are they?????

Gayle
A great second book in this series! The audio book was very well done and I'm enjoying all the adventures the two main characters have through FarWorld. Such imagination! I can see why my kids have loved these books.
Caleb Foster
This one was also a lot of fun reading, but I read this about 3 years ago and I really want to read the next book, but I forgot what happened, and I don't know what to do.
Cherylann
I read this to Christian and he loved it and was very entertained. He would give it a 5. I would give it a 3 for my age group. But as a mom reading it to her son it was fun.
Chris Robison
Got to admit, I thought Marcus's whining got really old really fast. I hope he grows up a little faster in future books.
LuAnn
Although I had read parts of this book in an earlier draft stage, I must say I was still stunned by how fabulous the final book has become. Jeff is a great writer who delivers a fascinating story mixed with just the right blend of action and description. The twists and turns kept me on my toes, holding my interest to the point I wished I had longer chunks of time available to devote to reading. My students are also devouring their sneak-peek, passing around pages so that several of them can read ...more
Deborah Andreasen
Most often in a series the first book is the best, the second isn't great, and the third, fourth, etc are pretty good. That is not this case with Farworld. I enjoyed the first book, but I loved the second! There were parts toward the end where the author constatnly reminded the reader that Kyja had these traits and Marcus had these. That was a bit irritating because as the reader, I think I'm smart enough to figure out that Marcus is head strong and Kyja is emotional. But on the whole this is a ...more
Garrett
Fun sequel. This is a middle-grade to YA fantasy, and is the sequel to Far World: Water Keep. I imagine we'll get at least 2 more books from the series (Air Keep and Fire Keep).

The story is about a crippled boy who imagines he is part of a magical world, and a girl who lives in a magical world who cannot do any magic. Together, they are the only ones who can find the lost elementals (they've found a water one from the previous book and they are looking for an earth one for this book) and help to
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
The story moved at a good pace, and kept my attention a little more than the first. I like Skype and Cascade-- they are welcome secondary characters. I also like how both Marcus and Kyja matured as characters, in order to find the land elementals, they must pass tests, and these tests cause them to look into how the other thinks in order to succeed. Marcus must read people, plan and slow down, while Kyja has to learn that hastiness is sometimes a good thing.
I would recommend this series to anyon
Amy
The second in the series finds Marcus and Kyja looking for the land elementals to help them save FarWorld. This book delves more into the feelings of jealousy and inadequacy that the characters have because of their differences. It also shows loyalty and friendship. In their journeys they find people who they can trust and people who betray them. Fast paced action helps the story along and the ever funny Riph Raph makes me laugh. A great series for anyone who likes fantasy and magic.
Jill Miskin
Solid three and a half stars. I am interested to see where this series goes. It had been long enough ago since I read the first book that I had forgotten some of the lore of the series and needed my memory jogged to recall all the details. A synopsis at the beginning would have been nice for those of us who are forgetful. There are a lot of themes that are present in a lot of sci-fi works in this book, but that didn't really bother me, I was just aware of it.
Liam
I finished this one today. I am going mad. I need the third. This one was just as good as the first, but with the friendship of Marcus and Kyja is increased a little. There was the epic battle at the end, the twists and surprises, the betrayal, the journey, the realization for the land elementals. This book is AWESOME. I think there is a hint that Marcus or Kyja will get a sword, which will make the books ten times epicer than they already are.
Patrick
Good book. I don't know if it was actually better, but I enjoyed it better than the first one. The plot seemed to at least make more sense and the adventures seemed more interesting and sensible this time. The pieces of the larger story arc starting to come together are good too. Marcus seemed more annoying this time. Kyja's creative "non-power" is still a very interesting plot element and opens up lots of possibilities.
Majellyn Montoya
I am in the sixth or seventh chapter of the book and started last night! I have to say I think I drove my mom nuts because there is a character who was in the chapters i was reading and everything that comes out of his mouth his funny whether he realizes it or not and most of the time he doesn't even realize it. I couldn't stop laughing expet at serous parts. I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Ambush (Pillage, #3)
  • The Horn of Moran (Adventurers Wanted, #2)
  • Secrets of New Forest Academy (Janitors, #2)
  • The Blade of Shattered Hope (The 13th Reality, #3)
  • Arcade Catastrophe (The Candy Shop War, #2)
  • The Golden Spiral (Hourglass Door, #2)
  • The Inventor's Secret (Cragbridge hall, #1)
  • The Monsters of Otherness (Erec Rex, #2)
  • Kingdoms and Conquerors (Tennis Shoes, #10)
J. Scott Savage is the author of the Farworld series and the Case File 13 middle grade series. He grew up in Northern California and now lives in Utah with his wife and four children.

Scott has held too many jobs to count, including: a mall Santa, French chef, CEO of a dot com, plumber, radio station talk show host, and the guy who sits in the little photo developing booth. He has completed one mar
More about J. Scott Savage...
Water Keep (Farworld, #1) Air Keep (Farworld, #3) Case File 13: Zombie Kid Case File 13 #2: Making the Team Case File 13 #3: Evil Twins