Start by marking “Something to Do” as Want to Read:
Something to Do

Something to Do

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A celebration of the imagination reminiscent of Harold and the Purple Crayon.

Big Bear and Little Bear want to find something to do. So they head out for a walk in the great white open - yet still, nothing. But when one of them picks up a stick, snaps it in half, and starts to draw a landscape, they realize that the only limit to what they can do is their imagination. And
Published September 17th 2009 by Philomel (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Something to Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something to Do

Drawn on cream colored pages, the illustrations mimic a crayon medium, minimal in its simplicity. Good story for toddlers and preschoolers and expanding their imagination. Story starts off with two bears with nothing to do. They find a stick. That's something! It is snapped in two and then becomes their drawing utensil. With it, they draw a ladder which gets them to the moon where they draw some stars where they see a shooting star and then, when they get hungry, they jump down to their house.

T
Christine Turner
A celebration of the imagination reminiscent of Harold and the Purple Crayon.Big Bear and Little Bear want to find something to do. So they head out for a walk in the great white open�yet still, nothing. But when one of them picks up a stick, snaps it in half, and starts to draw a landscape, they realize that the only limit to what they can do is their imagination. And with these two, it turns out their imaginations are as open as the sky.Parents will welcome and children will love this funny, f ...more
Jen
Aidan loves this book, especially that there is a bubba, dada and mommy bear in it. Although, mom only comes out at the end (and he wants to know where she is the rest of the book, hee hee) Very cute simple text and pictures. Kinda like harold's purple crayon with bears. :)
Cassie
I did something that I always try hard to avoid – I read other reviews of this book before I wrote my own. That’s a big no-no, because instead of writing only my feelings of the book, it makes me want to defend it (if there are bad reviews) and so I spend my time writing why those people are wrong instead of simply stating my opinion of the story. I can’t help myself. Such is the case with Something to Do by David Lucas. I found that people kept comparing the title to Not a stick and Not a Box b ...more
Rachel
This was an overly simplistic book, but with cute illustrations. Baby Bear is bored and there is nothing to do, that is until his Papa Bear finds a stick and then they start using their imagination to create their own fun all day. Then Baby Bear is hungry so they go home to Mama Bear. Recommended for ages 2-6, 2 stars.
Sarah Sammis
Something to Do by David Lucas caught my attention last summer when my children were complaining of boredom. Little Bear in this book has the same problem and it's up to Big Bear to find something to do.

Big Bear takes Little Bear on a walk in the forest. Little Bear goes reluctantly. He doesn't start to have fun until he picks up a stick and starts to doodle in the dirt. Pretty soon both are drawing landscapes in the dirt.

The book highlights the importance and magic of the imagination. David Luc
Nicole
Sep 30, 2009 Nicole rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Harold fans
Shelves: picture-books
You just can't do a "create the picture adventure as you go" picture book without evoking Harold and the Purple Crayon. Anything else comes across as a bad imitation. Which is not to say that this book was bad. In fact, I found the little aquare-eared bear quite endearing. And I loved the slow start. Nothing to do. No really, nothing to do. It was funny and anyone who has ever been bored can relate.

I'm just saying there will only ever be one Purple Crayon so don't even try. Lower the crayon and
Bridget R. Wilson
A young bear is bored. There's nothing to do. With his dad's help, he puts his imagination to good use and finds quite a lot to do. (They go visit the moon!)

What I thought: What a great book! It's all in the simplicity of both the text and illustrations. I liked the bears' use of imagination. This book will show kids how important imagination is. Reminds me of Emily Dickinson's poem about the prairie.

Story Time Themes: Imagination (pair with Nell's Elf and The Golden Egg Book); Bears

Youth Services
This book DOES evoke Harold and the Purple Crayon, and Not a Box. But at the same time, it's lovely colors and simple story are enjoyable, and elegantly done. Kids can related to the whole "make your own fun" idea, as they probably hear it often enough, and will enjoy how the little bear's day goes from boring to amazing by the book's end.

Lisle Library Call #: E LUC
Susan
The illustrations are charming. But if I compare it to other simple stories about imagination, (ala Not a Box which I really liked alot)Something to Do just doesn't do it for me.
The Library Lady
Cute if unoriginal. Unfortunately, the pictures are SO childlike and the crayon strokes so real looking I fear this will return to the library with kids' additions to the artwork.
Sam Bloom
Pretty much a retread of Antoinette Portis's "Not a..." books and "Harold and the Purple Crayon." Not much to recommend here.
Kristen
This is cute. The illustrations are sweet. It's a fine book about imagination. There's just nothing very new or exciting here.
Denise
This would be best shared one on one or with a small group of young children so you can discuss the illustrations.
Vicki
This book fell flat with Pre-Schoolers, the idea of the story they didn't understand.
Katie
LOVE it! Adorable and imaginative.

A Caldecott contender?
MissInformation
Harold and the Purple Crayon with a big bear and a little bear.
Wendy Garland
Very reminiscent of Harold and the Purple Crayon.
Danielle
Good for an imagination or art storytime.
Beth
Lovely illustrations!
Thomas Crisp
Thomas Crisp marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
ErinJoseph Cook
ErinJoseph Cook marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
David Lucas has written and illustrative several books for children and was named a Booktrust Best New Illustrator. He lives in London.
More about David Lucas...
The Robot and the Bluebird Cake Girl Halibut Jackson The Skeleton Pirate The Lying Carpet