Start by marking “Zákeřná nemocnice (Řada nešťastných příhod, #8)” as Want to Read:
Zákeřná nemocnice (Řada nešťastných příhod, #8)

Zákeřná nemocnice (A Series of Unfortunate Events #8)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  63,555 Ratings  ·  1,203 Reviews
Sourozenci Baudelairovi se tentokrát v pátrání po tajemné organizaci D.P. dostanou do Heimlichovy nemocnice. Znovu se však musejí bránit před zločineckými spády zákeřného hraběte Olafa a jeho bandy a jen díky důvtipu a pohotovosti se jim podaří vybřednout z nebezpečné situace. Přes všechnu smůlu, která provází bez výjimky všechny jejich příhody, se jim však podaří vypátrat ...more
Published 2003 by Egmont (first published September 4th 2001)

Mark Lawrence
The Hostile Hospital (book 8 of 13) is the first volume (I believe) to introduce the idea that the children themselves have to do things to survive that, while understandable, are not 'noble' when viewed in isolation. This begins in earnest the theme of noble vs villainous people that dominates to the end of the series.

It demonstrates an increasing sophistication in the novels, perhaps born of the idea that the audience were growing older over the years that the books were published.

In previous
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
Alright, I am hereby aborting my mission to finish this series. Here is my reasoning:

1. Every book has the same exact formulaic plot.

2. Every book has versions of same exact characters doing the same exact things.

3. The person who recommended I read these is no longer in my life*.

4. After reading 7.5 out of 13 books, I still know next to nothing about the overarching mystery.

5. Too much teasing. Snicket has to realise that if you keep dangling the answer in front of the reader's face and snatchi
Richard Denney
Apr 20, 2016 Richard Denney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 STARS!

This was full of action! I felt like there wasn't a moment to breathe and I loved that about it. It was fast paced and fun and mysterious and that ending? These kids are brave as hell.

Why did Esme wink at them?
Who survived the fire?
What does Olaf really have to do with any of this?

I'm excited for The Carnivorous Carnival!

Now on to book 9!! :D

- Richard or Drahcir or Ardichar
k.wing
Nov 06, 2007 k.wing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: imaginaries
The Baudelaire's start taking matters into their own hands...

I enjoyed the climax scene in this book because it is the biggest close-call yet! Klaus is amazing, and is amazing in the climax scene.

Favorite quote from this book:
"There are many things in this world I do not know. I do not know how butterflies get out of their cocoons without damaging their wings. I do not know why anyone would boil vegetables when roasting them is tastier. I do not know how to make olive oil, and I do not know why
Rebecca
I re-read the first six books last year. I thought I was up to to this one so I'll have to go back and read book 7 again next, but I loved this. It was always one of my favourites in the series!
Swankivy
Aug 14, 2008 Swankivy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favoritebooks
Katie
Jun 26, 2015 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay I changed my mind, THAT one was my favorite so far. I really REALLY like that Sunny is beginning to use more words. The mystery of VFD and Beatrice is still killing me. On to the 9th!! :)
Nadine
Apr 11, 2016 Nadine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"But sometimes it takes only a photograph and a sentence to make an author cry himself to sleep even years after the photograph was taken."

And so begins the first book in The Series of Unfortunate Events that the Baudelaire children are not placed with a guardian, but are on their own. They find themselves at Heimlich Hospital where they discover a very important piece of information. Game changing information.

Overall, The Hostile Hospital is a fantastic installment in this series. It will keep
Sara Williams
Book #1 of a 24h marathon on the 26th of April 2015

Very Lemony Snicket-y as usual.
There's not much to say about these series for now...
I am expecting something huge to come out of the last few books, and my hunger for the truth about Beatrice and the Snicket family and the fire is increasing every volume I read.
I look forward to picking up the rest of the series.
Jbb Lim
Sadly to say, this is one book in the series that I did not like. Well not all, but most of it. However, there are new clues and new highlights in the series that might explain what V.F.D is and there are documents in "The Library of Records" which has evidence about the fire with Baudelaire's parents and someone else. Their house were caught fire but there were 3 person in the house and one has escape death. Who is it?

Violet was captured and left Klaus and Sunny to save the day. I would just li
Mel
So umm I did not like this one as much as I thought I did... #6 is still my favourite one so far. I am glad to be rereading this.. Because of my work schedule I should be able to finish the entire series by Jan 1st. I actually will likely read 3 of them this week. Can't wait to FINALLY read the last book.
Nicole
Sep 10, 2008 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one was really good because I think that there was a lot of drama and tension, so I couldn't put down the book at points!
Kimberley doruyter
getting a little irratated
swag2perfect84
The Hostile Hospital is the eighth installment to the Series of Unfortunate Events. In this chapter of the series Violet, Clause, and Sonny are on the run from being captured. They are accused of killing their former friend. They were framed by their nemesis Count Olaf. He has tried numerous attempts to steal their fortune. His plans this time are to lead the children in to a hospital. He kidnaps Violet and has plans to perform on her in a live audience. Klaus and Sonny pose as a doctor and res ...more
Riley Link
Jan 07, 2016 Riley Link rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marianne
Dec 29, 2014 Marianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Hostile Hospital is the eighth book in A Series of Unfortunate Events by American author, Lemony Snicket (aka Daniel Handler). As we once again join the unlucky Baudelaire orphans, they are walking to escape the Vile Village where they were accused of murdering Count Olaf.

Having already suffered the loss of their parents, the threat of marriage, slave labour, hypnosis, a terrible boarding school, being thrown down a lift shaft , being thrown in jail and the murder of their Uncle Monty and A
Emma Ruth
"If you woke up in the middle of the night and saw a masked woman trying to crawl through your bedroom window, you might call your mother or father to help you push her back out."

This may be my favourite quote of the series. Purely for the ridiculous factor and let's be honest, this entire series is ridiculous. I would certainly do more than "push her out." How does he come up with this stuff? Said in the right tone, that could leave me laughing for hours.

In this, the eight instalment in A Se
Catherine
“As I'm sure you know, it is rarely a good idea to get into an automobile with somebody you haven't met before, particularly if that person believes in such nonsense as 'No news is good news.' But it is never a good idea to stand around a flat and empty landscape while the police are closing in to arrest you for a crime you have not committed.”

On the run from Count Olaf, the police, and everyone who reads the error-riddled Daily Punctilio, the Baudelaire Orphans hide out at the half-finished Hei
Drew Graham
Mar 01, 2016 Drew Graham rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me
After the near-disastrous events at the end of The Vile Village, you really don't know what's going to happen to the poor Baudelaires next. Violet, Klaus and Sunny find themselves for the first time without a guardian, entirely on their own. Not only that, but they are widely believed to be murderers (well, a murderer and her accomplices) of Count Olaf himself. They find refuge in a hospital, working as volunteers in an expansive Library of Records, where they discover some tantalizing hints abo ...more
Darren Hagan aka snazzlebooks
Really enjoyed this one. It was a welcome change to the samey plot from the previous 7. This one began with the three Baudelaires being on the run with nobody to help them and no place to go, so it added a kind of desperation and even more of a struggle to their unfortunate lives. I also did not see it ending the way that it did. Lastly, there is the growing mystery of how Lemony Snicket actually plays into the series, and what VFD stands for. I want to know :D

Great instalment to the series.
Miss Bookiverse
A hospital is not a very cosy place. Add Count Olaf, the Baudelaires and a bunch of Volunteers for Disease and it gets even more uncomfortable.

I love the development that happens throughout the series. The Hostile Hospital is book 8 and Sunny has begun to speak real words. Also you get more and more information on Lemony Snicket and what really happened the day of the fire. I’m really curious about the big solution... my suspicion at the moment is that (view spoiler)
Siobhan
Oct 12, 2014 Siobhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Following on from the plot twist at the end of the last book, the children start to head down a different path on their search for answers.

This book works to move us even further forwards in our understanding of the events that have been unfolding, whilst leaving us with more unanswered questions at the same time. As with all the books the children find themselves in a situation that is not at all pleasant – even more so than usual following on from the events of the previous book – yet they con
Ariel
Better and better every time. Seriously you guys, each book is better and darker than the one before.
Laurie
Mar 04, 2015 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-french
I remember loving the all "Series of Unfortunate Events". Well, at least I can say that I probably loved them very much because I remember that I read them all in a very short amount of time. And now, couple several years later, I can't tell which one is about what.
Even though I remember I liked them, I also remember how I liked almost everything I read when I was younger. So my mind is probably mistaken.

Someday, I will re-read them ALL and make a real review with a real rating. But for now, I
Elizabeth Newton
Dec 14, 2015 Elizabeth Newton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot of deception, lies, disguises and pursuit in this story – and I haven’t even mentioned the deeds of Count Olaf and his associates. The unfortunate Baudelaires find themselves in predicaments where they are forced to make decisions that give each of them that sinking feeling you get when you know you’ve done something horrible, mean and almost villainous. But they are doing these things in order to survive and they insist they are different from Olaf... it just takes them a while t ...more
Ros
Jul 11, 2015 Ros rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Admito que un detalle que tiene los primeros seis libros de la serie es lo monótono o mejor dicho: lo repetitivo. Y es que iban siguiendo el mismo camino de los Baudelaire + un nuevo tutor + Olaf llega a causar problemas + nadie le cree a los Baudelaire + finalmente descubren a Olaf + Olaf escapa y repetir en el siguiente libro.
Después de La Villa Vil (The Vile Village) el asunto cambia y en el Hospital Hostil sigue justo donde acabo el libro anterior y lo que acontece aunque no es agradable -na
Amy
Mar 01, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Hostile Hospital was a surprisingly good instalment to A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Unlike some of the other books in this series I was constantly on edge and at some points I honestly wondered if all the Baudelaire children would survive.

At the start of the book the siblings have no one and nowhere to turn to. They try to send a telegram to Mr Poe but get no response and are chased by shopkeepers who recognise them from the newspaper. They end up at a hospital volunteering to look after t
Isabeau (Just Keep Reading)
Finally a book without Mr Poe being involved... The Baudelaires are right, all you can count on him doing is coughing. I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the previous two, but there was still a twist in the middle of the book which I had completely forgotten about, so that was cool. For once I was impressed with the ending of the book as well, it seemed like the Baudelaires were finally taking charge of themselves.
Still can't get over how much I love the writing style of this series!
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥
At A Glance

Genre:
Young Adult; Thriller
Love Triangle/Insta Love/Obsesion?: nope.
Cliff Hanger: eh.

Total:

In Dept

Best Part:
New venue.
Worst Part: Slow at times.
Thoughts Had: Oh nice!; Olaf!!!

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
Recommending: yes

Short Review: The whole time i was listening to this i was imaging Joker in his nursing uniform. It was fun to listen to a new ve
Esteban
Apr 23, 2016 Esteban rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Nooks of Books: The Hostile Hospital 1 3 Jan 28, 2015 03:57AM
The ASOUE Challenge: Books Alluded 1 4 Nov 08, 2014 09:03AM
quotablebookquotes: The Hostile Hospital: An Overview 5 7 Dec 26, 2013 03:27PM
quotablebookquotes: The Hostile Hospital: Chapters 10 - 13 5 3 Dec 26, 2013 03:08PM
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • The Haunting of Granite Falls
  • Indigo's Star (Casson Family, #2)
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • Midnight Over Sanctaphrax (Edge Chronicles, #3)
  • May Bird Among the Stars (May Bird, #2)
  • The Doll People (Doll People, #1)
  • The Arctic Incident (Artemis Fowl, #2)
  • Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile - 57 B.C. (Royal Diaries #2)
  • Clarice Bean, Don't Look Now (Clarice Bean)
  • Charlie Bone and the Time Twister (The Children of the Red King, #2)
  • The Report Card
  • Night Gate (The Gateway Trilogy, #1)
  • The Fir Tree
  • Splashdown in Cerulean City (Pokemon Chapter Book, #7)
  • Molly Moon's Hypnotic Time Travel Adventure (Molly Moon, #3)
  • Aliens Don't Wear Braces (Bailey School Kids #7)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)

“The sad truth is the truth is sad.” 2047 likes
“Just about everything in this world is easier said than done, with the exception of "systematically assisting Sisyphus's stealthy, cyst-susceptible sister," which is easier done than said.” 324 likes