Start by marking “Land of the Dead” as Want to Read:
Land of the Dead

Land of the Dead (In the Time of the Sixth Sun #3)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  14 reviews
It’s a small change in our history: imagine that the Japanese made contact with the Aztec Empire. Instead of small-pox and Christianity, they brought an Imperial alliance, samurai ethics, and technology. By the time of these books, the Emperor in Mexico City rules not just the entire planet Earth, but a growing interplanetary Empire. But the Galaxy is not a hospitable plac ...more
Published August 4th 2009 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Land of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Land of the Dead

Brian
If you need to have a chapter at the end of the book in order to explain the plot, you're doing something wrong.

Okay, that's not entirely fair, and as with everything context matters. In a mystery book, there's often an explanation at the end to allow the reader to bring to mind all the clues scattered throughout the text and realize that they too could have figured out the plot if only they had been a bit more discerning. However, most mystery fans would be pretty annoyed if the criminal turned
Clay
I wasn’t excited when I realized that Thomas Harlan’s “Land of the Dead” (Tor, $25.95, 416 pages) was the third book in a series, but since the first two (“Wasteland of Flint” and “House of Reeds”) came out in 2003 and 2004, even if I had read them, I probably would have forgotten pretty much everything. That said, “Land of the Dead” can basically stand alone, though there are assumptions about the characters that the author takes for granted that newbies will have to painstakingly figure out.

An
Clyde
This is the third book in Thomas Harlan's In the Time of the Sixth Sun series. It can be read alone, but you will get more out of it if you read the preceding two books first (Wasteland of Flint and House of Reeds). The stories take place in an Aztec/Japanese dominated human star empire in the far future of an alternate history line. (All three books are good stories.)
I really like Harlan's writing style. He doesn't go in for info-dumps, but rather lets the details of things such as the back sto
Liviu
The third book in his Mexica/Japanese human empire in space and the first of the heavy-hitter core-sf (ie dealing with the mysteries of the universe in a way or another) novels to be published in the second part of 2009. It can be read as a standalone from earlier novels representing a crucial turn in the series, the back-story is presented and it actually makes a great novel to start this superb series...
Twists, turns, lots of Mexica folklore complemented by snippets from Musashi' story in this
Adrian
This is book three in a series, a sci fi alternate universe where a Mexican empire has reached out to the stars with their Japanese allies. There are all sorts of machinations going on between factions, allies, defeated
enemies, and aliens, but the characters that thread through the story are that keeps me reading - they are as complicated as the story they are embroiled in. Two of the characters are naval officers, and this part of the story might seemed cliche (given the number of scifi novels
Mike Rogers
A good end to the trilogy, although this author always seems to leave some dangling threads in his series. Overall though, a fine space opera trilogy.
JW
This is the third book in a loose series. In theory a standalone, but I'd recommend you start with Wasteland of Flint. And I do recommend it. I'm pretty sure I've reviewed it on here.

Before this book I didn't realize this was a future story with an alternate history. It adds a lot of texture to some well worn tropes.

If you've kept up with the Sixth Sun thus far, by all means read on! This one isn't as action packed but the characters keep developing and Gretchen unspools some awesome here.
Terry
I like the world building skills of Mr. Harlan and hope he can find his way towards continuing this great series.
Lindig
This is #3 in the series and I hadn't read either of the others, but this held up well and wasn't too confusing. The blending of the Aztec and the Japanese cultures was pretty well done, though some of the gorier aspects of Aztec history were glossed over and some aspects of samurai culture were stressed pretty heavily. All in all, not bad.
Scott
May 18, 2011 Scott rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: alternate sf readers
Later that month: 4 stars because it has Aztecs and good space opera components.
The whole function of The Artifact was a bit hazy: kept it from being a 5 star book. I enjoy Harlan's SF series, look forward to reading more.
Chris
A full, rich, complex universe with lots of texture. Incredibly satisfying, it leaves a desire to savour more of the intricate connections that drive the expanding adventure and exploration.
Sandra
So-so ending. Too much promised, too little delivered. Important threads left hanging. Still interesting, however.
Aahzmandius
Fun read about a humanity that *isn't* the biggest thing out there.
Caron

I loved this series!!
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Chet
Chet added it
Nov 07, 2014
Spencer
Spencer marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Vesra (When She Reads)
Vesra (When She Reads) marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Len
Len marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Mark MacKay
Mark MacKay marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Andrea
Andrea is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Fantasy, alternate-history and science fiction writer Thomas Harlan is the author of the critically acclaimed Oath of Empire series from Tor Books. He has been twice nominated for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Author (in 1999 and 2000). In May of 2001, he received the SF^2 Award for Best New Fantasy Author. His first novel, The Shadow of Ararat was selected as one of the Barnes & Nob ...more
More about Thomas Harlan...
Wasteland of Flint The Shadow of Ararat (Oath of Empire #1) House of Reeds The Gate of Fire (Oath Of Empire Book Two) The Storm of Heaven (Oath of Empire #3)