Start by marking “Land of the Dead” as Want to Read:
Land of the Dead

Land of the Dead (In the Time of the Sixth Sun #3)

It’s a small change in our history: imagine that the Japanese made contact with the Aztec Empire.  Instead of small-pox and Christianity,  they brought an Imperial alliance, samurai ethics, and technology.  By the time of these books, the Emperor in Mexico City rules not just the entire planet Earth, but a growing interplanetary Empire.  But the Galaxy is not a hospitable ...more
Published August 4th 2009 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Land of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Land of the Dead

Clyde
This is the third book in Thomas Harlan's In the Time of the Sixth Sun series. It can be read alone, but you will get more out of it if you read the preceding two books first (Wasteland of Flint and House of Reeds). The stories take place in an Aztec/Japanese dominated human star empire in the far future of an alternate history line. (All three books are good stories.)
I really like Harlan's writing style. He doesn't go in for info-dumps, but rather lets the details of things such as the back sto
Scott Holstad
Jun 10, 2016 Scott Holstad rated it did not like it
Horseshit! That’s pretty much all I’ve got to say about Land of the Dead. Horseshit! I loved the first two books in the In the Time of the Sixth Sun series. Wasteland of Flint was superior and I gave it a five star review. House of Reeds was nearly as good, a little too complicated, and for that I gave it a four star review, but I really enjoyed it and looked forward to the third installment in the series. Then I read it. I wish I hadn’t. This book was a horrible disappointment. It was simply st ...more
Brian
Aug 09, 2012 Brian rated it it was ok
If you need to have a chapter at the end of the book in order to explain the plot, you're doing something wrong.

Okay, that's not entirely fair, and as with everything context matters. In a mystery book, there's often an explanation at the end to allow the reader to bring to mind all the clues scattered throughout the text and realize that they too could have figured out the plot if only they had been a bit more discerning. However, most mystery fans would be pretty annoyed if the criminal turned
Clay Kallam
May 01, 2010 Clay Kallam rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I wasn’t excited when I realized that Thomas Harlan’s “Land of the Dead” (Tor, $25.95, 416 pages) was the third book in a series, but since the first two (“Wasteland of Flint” and “House of Reeds”) came out in 2003 and 2004, even if I had read them, I probably would have forgotten pretty much everything. That said, “Land of the Dead” can basically stand alone, though there are assumptions about the characters that the author takes for granted that newbies will have to painstakingly figure out.

An
Liviu
The third book in his Mexica/Japanese human empire in space and the first of the heavy-hitter core-sf (ie dealing with the mysteries of the universe in a way or another) novels to be published in the second part of 2009. It can be read as a standalone from earlier novels representing a crucial turn in the series, the back-story is presented and it actually makes a great novel to start this superb series...
Twists, turns, lots of Mexica folklore complemented by snippets from Musashi' story in this
Alex
Jan 21, 2015 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, favorites
Not the last book.

And thank goodness too because I thought Harlan was going to leave us with another terrible ending like he did with the oath of empire books.

Apparently there are three our for more books planned for this series, that's good news.

Any way this installment was pretty epic, there as an enormous full scale space battle that is probably one of the best I have ever read. Even if this was the last book I would still love it just for the awesome space battle.

However it doesn't really ti
Adrian
Nov 28, 2011 Adrian rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
This is book three in a series, a sci fi alternate universe where a Mexican empire has reached out to the stars with their Japanese allies. There are all sorts of machinations going on between factions, allies, defeated
enemies, and aliens, but the characters that thread through the story are that keeps me reading - they are as complicated as the story they are embroiled in. Two of the characters are naval officers, and this part of the story might seemed cliche (given the number of scifi novels
JW
Oct 28, 2010 JW rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is the third book in a loose series. In theory a standalone, but I'd recommend you start with Wasteland of Flint. And I do recommend it. I'm pretty sure I've reviewed it on here.

Before this book I didn't realize this was a future story with an alternate history. It adds a lot of texture to some well worn tropes.

If you've kept up with the Sixth Sun thus far, by all means read on! This one isn't as action packed but the characters keep developing and Gretchen unspools some awesome here.
Jean Corbel
Jan 01, 2015 Jean Corbel rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
You take the universe of the 2 previous books. Add one alien species, and a ghost of one. Add add another one with a armada, which never used armadas. Add...
Oh, forget it.
Characters are even less consistent and interesting than Book2.
This "last" book of the trilogy is not closing any story, generally very confused, with quite a lot of grammar and story approximations. Not on par with Books 1 and 2, a very disappointing read for one who liked the previous ones.
3 stars as it is a benevolent time
David Finch
May 10, 2015 David Finch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A damn fine bit of hard sci-fi. A lot of technobabble and military jargon, which would be off-putting if it wasn't for an interesting universe and engaging characters. Really interesting alternate history in which the Aztecs and Japanese came to dominate Earth, with Europeans as minorities --- vaguely reminiscent of Kim Stanley Robinson's The Years of Rice and Salt with a goodly dose of Asimov.
Lindig
Jun 29, 2011 Lindig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
This is #3 in the series and I hadn't read either of the others, but this held up well and wasn't too confusing. The blending of the Aztec and the Japanese cultures was pretty well done, though some of the gorier aspects of Aztec history were glossed over and some aspects of samurai culture were stressed pretty heavily. All in all, not bad.
John
Mar 14, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite series. The first book takes a long time to grab you but grab you it does.

Fantastic world building across all three books, and an interesting mix of characters, a feline race, and some very imaginative plots.

I do hope the author will add more books to this series, and expand on the events of the third novel.
Scott
Feb 25, 2011 Scott rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: alternate sf readers
Later that month: 4 stars because it has Aztecs and good space opera components.
The whole function of The Artifact was a bit hazy: kept it from being a 5 star book. I enjoy Harlan's SF series, look forward to reading more.
Ria Loader
Feb 08, 2015 Ria Loader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great alternate history series

The time of the sixth Sun series is fresh and original both as alternate history and as space opera. The characters and settings are reminiscent of Andre Norton at her best.
Chris
Oct 04, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
A full, rich, complex universe with lots of texture. Incredibly satisfying, it leaves a desire to savour more of the intricate connections that drive the expanding adventure and exploration.
Mike Rogers
Apr 15, 2014 Mike Rogers rated it really liked it
A good end to the trilogy, although this author always seems to leave some dangling threads in his series. Overall though, a fine space opera trilogy.
Terry
Sep 25, 2014 Terry rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-read
I like the world building skills of Mr. Harlan and hope he can find his way towards continuing this great series.
Sandra
Nov 10, 2011 Sandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, scifi
So-so ending. Too much promised, too little delivered. Important threads left hanging. Still interesting, however.
Thomas Ciccone
Thomas Ciccone rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013
Sean McCrohan
Sean McCrohan rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
KC
KC rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2014
Kevin Orpen
Kevin Orpen rated it it was ok
Mar 04, 2014
Chas
Chas rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Cynthia Wood
Cynthia Wood rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2013
Aahzmandius
May 03, 2012 Aahzmandius rated it really liked it
Fun read about a humanity that *isn't* the biggest thing out there.
Kyle
Kyle rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2014
Learethus
Learethus rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2012
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2009
Lews
Lews rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2012
Louisvalentino
Louisvalentino rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Gardens of the Sun (The Quiet War #2)
  • Prophets (Apotheosis, #1)
  • Conspirator (Foreigner, #10)
  • Consorts of Heaven
  • Up Jim River
  • Mirror Space (Sentients of Orion, #3)
  • Odd Girl Out (Quadrail, #3)
  • The Third Claw of God (Andrea Cort #2)
  • Queen of Candesce (Virga, #2)
  • End of the Century
  • Earth Ascendant (Astropolis, #2)
  • Suicide Kings (Wild Cards, #20)
  • The Accord
  • Wonderful World
  • Brain Thief
  • The Retrieval Artist
  • Hammer and Anvil
  • When the Saints (The Brothers Magnus, #2)
Fantasy, alternate-history and science fiction writer Thomas Harlan is the author of the critically acclaimed Oath of Empire series from Tor Books. He has been twice nominated for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Author (in 1999 and 2000). In May of 2001, he received the SF^2 Award for Best New Fantasy Author. His first novel, The Shadow of Ararat was selected as one of the Barnes & Nob ...more
More about Thomas Harlan...

In the Time of the Sixth Sun (3 books)
  • Wasteland of Flint