Start by marking “Dayspring” as Want to Read:
Dayspring

Dayspring

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Spencer Bain is a modern man of science, a university anthropologist doing fieldwork in a small New Mexican town. Used to long separations from his wife, a UCLA professor equally dedicated to her career, he is mostly untroubled by his infidelities, and hers; that is, until now.

In order to study the religious practices of the Penitentes, a brotherhood of local men who enga

Published October 1st 2009 by Ignatius Press

To ask other readers questions about Dayspring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dayspring

William
An excellent and thought-provoking book that deserves a much wider audience. It is as though Graham Greene's plucked up CS Lewis and set him down in New Mexico among a group of primitive, though orthodox Catholics. The book has Greene's earthy honesty about human weakness and flaws even in those striving for spiritual illumination. And the protagonist, Spencer Bain, is like CS Lewis "the most dejected and reluctant convert in Christendom."

Bain is an anthropologist, studying a sect of believers w
booklady
Although Harry Sylvester’s Dayspring most reminded me of a Graham Greene type of conversion story, I think it was the time period (vaguely pre- to WWII) and the living-on-edge type of main character which made me think of Greene.

Sylvester’s writing gave me a little more difficulty than his British contemporary although I did become used to his style as I continued to read. Dayspring is purportedly the author’s greatest book, which is one of the reasons why Ignatius Press has re-released it.

Wha
Terry Southard
I will think about this book for a long time. I wavered between 4 and 5 stars. I can't decide without thinking about it some more. The main character, Bain, the non-religious intellectual, is someone I will carry with me. A reluctant convert, a convert almost on a whim, or under false pretenses, still influenced by a grace that changes everything.

Oh, my.
Sskous
a fascinating study of an academic, with all the confused morality of an academic,finding himself struck by the simple faith and lives of the Hispanics of New Mexico. I recognize the academician; I recognize the 'superior' ways of thinking, feeling, interpreting experience. Most of all I recognize the emptiness accompanying that mindset.
Stephen
An amoral scientist confronting his inner demons. Should he chose the intellectual/elitist/immoral path (read : easy, non-confrontational) or a faith filled life in a secular world (read : ridiculed and derided by the secularists that dominate his profession). Great book, great characters and plot.
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Alex
Alex added it
Nov 04, 2014
Michael Awadalla
Michael Awadalla marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Amy Fox
Amy Fox marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Darlene
Darlene marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Hoezodanbooks
Hoezodanbooks marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
Skylar Burris
Skylar Burris marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2013
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2013
Robert-amy
Robert-amy marked it as to-read
May 28, 2013
Alice
Alice added it
Nov 12, 2012
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2012
Charmaine
Charmaine marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2012
Merittlohrsawyer
Merittlohrsawyer marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2012
Legacy of the Blue Heron: Living with Learning Disabilities Moon Gaffney Dayspring Dayspring: A Novel Dayspring: A Novel