Start by marking “Standoff” as Want to Read:
Standoff

Standoff

3.68  ·  Rating Details ·  5,567 Ratings  ·  329 Reviews
Ambitious TV reporter Tiel McCoy is driving through New Mexico when she hears over the radio that Sabra Dendy, the 17 year-old daughter of Fort Worth multimillionaire Russell Dendy, has been kidnapped.ááTiel calls her editor and learns that Sara was "kidnapped" by her boyfriend Ronnie and is pregnant.ááTiel is at a gas station store when an armed couple robs the cashier an ...more
Published (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Standoff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Standoff

Sandra
Aug 25, 2015 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sandra by: Linda
TV reporter Tiel McCoy is driving to a mountain resort in New Mexico for a long overdue vacation. Along the way she hears a news bulletin on her car radio--tycoon Russell Dendy's teenage daughter, Sabra, has been kidnapped. Tiel stops at a convenience store to call her boss, Gully, for some info, and finds herself in the middle of it all! In walks "kidnapped" (and pregnant) Sabra and her boyfriend Ronnie, who stop in the convenience store Tiel is at and hold the place up. It seems Sabra wasn't k ...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
STANDOFF by Sandra Brown was a bit disappointing.

The plot stretched my imagination....I couldn't really feel anything believable about it and seemed a bit too predictable.

The characters were like cardboard caricatures......I couldn't engage with any of them.....even the main characters.

The dialogue.......stilted.....and not real.

This was supposed to be a romantic suspense story...but where was the romance I ask???? I never felt any chemistry between Tiel McCoy and Dr. Bradley Stanwick.

I have re
Joy (joyous reads)
I didn’t think it was possible, folks. I didn’t think I’ll ever find a book by Ms. Brown that I didn’t like. In her defence, the book was shorter than usual, so perhaps therein lies the crux of my problem with this book. I have even considered not reviewing this book at all, but I felt like writing one anyway because I want to show you that I can give bad reviews from authors that I greatly admire.

This story is once again set in Texas. This time, it features an ambitious reporter who found herse
Lainy
Jul 20, 2010 Lainy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic book. First time I have read any of hers and I couldn't put it down. Read it in one day. Very easy to follow, great story, total page turner. I recommend to anyone who likes James Patterson etc
Katelyn fulkerson
Aug 05, 2013 Katelyn fulkerson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"The car was in cruise control, but her brain was in overdrive."

The most cliched book I have ever read! I do not recommend it. Ambitious TV reporter just so happens to be in the convenience store where a young runaway couple she is investigating come in to rob the place? Luckily, when the young pregnant teen goes into labor there is a handsome rugged doctor to deliver the baby. He also has a dark past, of course, to draw in the heroine.

Don't forget the Hispanic man also in the store who is one
Jane Stewart
Kept my interest. Enjoyable way to pass the time if you don’t expect too much. The negative: it ended too soon.

My main complaint is not knowing what happened to various characters at the end. But the rest is good. This author is a good writer and she does suspense well. Although there is a little bit of romance at the end, don’t read it for romance. Read it as a suspense story with interesting characters. It’s about 1/2 the length of a regular novel.

The narrator Enid Graham is a new favorite of
Louise
Mar 22, 2009 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Sandra Brown novel I've read and I wasn't disappointed. I'll definitely be searching for more of her novels.

From back cover:

"T.V. reporter Tiel McCoy is driving to New Mexico for a well earned vacation when she hears the news on the radio: The teenage daughter of Fort Worth tycoon Russell Dendy has been kidnapped. Immediately, she abandons her holiday plans to chase down what could be the scoop of a lifetime. But in a town called Rojo Flats an innocuous stop at a convenience st
Jaime
Jul 15, 2010 Jaime rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was more a novella than a usual Sandra Brown novel, and as such, was pretty blah. The story never fully develops beyond the actual standoff situation, and we’re never given a chance to really connect with our main characters. Brown also uses a main character combo (a successful tv reporter and the man she has mistakenly wronged) that she returns to in a later novel, Smoke Screen. We get the obligatory sexual tension between Tiel and Doc, followed by the obligatory sex scene, but it all feel ...more
Asya
Jul 25, 2015 Asya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Asya by: Нина?
Shelves: reviews
Бяство не е особено оригинална или вълнуваща, но получих точно каквото очаквах и ми беше нужно в момента - кратка книжка, която бързо се чете, без да ме побърква, ако ми се наложи да се отделя от нея.

Онова, което ме разочарова, беше българското издание - разпокъсани или погрешно слети редове, главни букви на случайни места, прекръстени герои... На едно място имаше към две страници от една сцена, които сякаш са били изрязани и после вмъкнати не където трябва. На всичкото отгоре изглежда е писан
Kathy
This may be the worst audio-book of all time.
The story line is dumb, the characters are stupid and listening to it probably kills brains cells. The narrator is okay but should have checked pronunciations

I've read/listened to books that I disliked so much, I wanted to slam them into a wall. This one makes me feel that way but I also want to burn down the wall, campaign to make sure some folks never get published and, while I'm at it, never get near a computer or typewriter.

Did I tell you I hated
Steve Altier
Oct 01, 2015 Steve Altier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A friend of mine gave me this book. I love Sandra Brown, the way she tells a story, along with her writing style, so I gladly excepted. This story is as gripping as they come... I was pulling for Ronnie and Sabra. At times it was nail-biting. I thought I had the ending figured out. With one minor twist I didn't see coming that I found shocking. Great characters, great story. I give this book 5 of 5 stars...
Maria
Apr 05, 2015 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read! I couldn't put it down and I was hooked from the start.
Robin
Nov 01, 2014 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sandra Brown is one of those authors whose books I generally buy new, sometimes even in hardback because I can't wait for the cheaper paperback to come out. My introduction to her was through her romance novels, starting with HIDDEN FIRES, but THE WITNESS, a mystery/suspense, put her on my list of favorite authors (and it's still my favorite of her books).

STANDOFF is more the length of the quick romance books at 261 pages, and not as deep or involved as some of her other suspense books. The sto
Linda
Tiel is a young workaholic TV reporter who doesn't know how to turn off her job and enjoy a personal life. She is suppose to be on vacation when she finds herself in Hera, Texas. A small town that will become the epicenter of young-love-gone-wrong. It is about being in the wrong place at the wrong time -OR- is it about being in the wrong place at the right time?

STANDOFF is about one day spent in a convenient store that changed Tiel McCoy's life forever. Tiel had stopped to use the phone to call
Penny
Mar 16, 2015 Penny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is GREAT!!!! It is almost impossible to put down. There are very strong characters, countless twists and turns, a complete realm of emotions....you laugh, cry, get angry, feel sympathy, a perfect blend of suspense and romance. The main characters Tiel and Doc have terrific chemistry. Ronnie and Sabre, primary characters,also, leave the reader sympathetic to their plight. The reader will, also, fall in love with Gladys and Vern, newlywed golden-agers. I have yet to read a Sandra Brown b ...more
May 15, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Standoff was a fun, quick read that I finished in one day. Tiel McCoy is a tv reporter heading on vacation when she takes a detour to cover a breaking story, and then gets caught in a convenience store when the story she is driving to finds her, and the "standoff" begins. I really liked Tiel, although she did some things that were a little over the top - including knocking out an FBI agent and sneaking a video camera to record the unfolding drama. It was non-stop action and kept me entertained t ...more
Sharon Huether
TV reporter Tiel Mc Coy was leaving town for a vacation, when she heard a new bulletin on her car radio.
A kidnapping has occurred in Rojo Flats. She heads in that direction to get the story.
It all taking place in a convenience store. There are hostages held at gun point. A baby about to be born. The standoff tests Tiel's courage and her real objection in life.
Diana
Oct 12, 2014 Diana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
*sigh*
I have a feeling I won't pick up another book of Sandra's for a looong time.
Sedoo Ashivor
Dec 19, 2015 Sedoo Ashivor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some areas that seem incredible and do not click, but I liked the book, and I enjoyed the story once I got into it. SB is good. Even her not-so-good books are readable.
Carol
Mar 27, 2014 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much of this book took place within a few hours, it was as if you were there in real time. No murder, no mystery, but a very intense suspense filled book.
TK421
Oct 13, 2014 TK421 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-thriller
This book would have been so much better had an editor cut the last 25 pages. As is, no great lose if you have never read this one.
Lizett Leyva
Feb 05, 2015 Lizett Leyva rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
2.5 STARS
Dulce
Nov 24, 2015 Dulce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trocados
Foi como se estivesse no meio da acção de um filme. Gostei muito.
Kristi
May 08, 2016 Kristi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
This is just an average kind of story really. I think I'm a bit fed up of the hostage situation story line. The characters were ok but I wasn't that bothered about any of them.
Lisa B.
Intense circumstances lead to romance

Great characters a la classic Sandra Brown. The standoff between the gunman and law enforcement made for great suspense, with a few heart-tugging moments thrown in. The attraction between the hero and heroine developed without clichéd romantic overkill. Think "Speed" but happening during a convenience store holdup. A great read.
Mpcheek
Rather predictable but, quick read.
Euridice Lale Brown
Daniell Marsh
Mar 07, 2017 Daniell Marsh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book as it felt like you were in the building with the characters as they went through it all. I also like it as it made you think what would change for you if you faced a life or death situation. How would it change the way you looked at family, other people, your job and goals that you have. A quick read as it reads as real time in just a day or so, then with a quick follow up. Would recommend this book.
Kathy Huffey
Found it weak.
Kelly
Jul 06, 2013 Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

An ambitious female television reporter is driving through New Mexico when she hears that a Texas millionarie's teenage daughter has been kidnapped. Knowing the girl's father lives nearby, she quickly lines up an interview.

Amazon.com Review

Some reporters have all the luck--especially plucky, ambitious, determined Texas TV news reporter Tiel McCoy, who walks into a convenience store on her long-postponed vacation and finds herself smack in the middle of the biggest story of her life. A couple

2017 Reading Chal...: Standoff by Sandra Brown 1 13 Mar 21, 2015 01:21PM
Sanda Brown Super...: Standoff 2 3 Jul 30, 2014 12:11PM
  • Cover of Night
  • Suspicion of Vengeance (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #6)
  • Where There Is Evil
  • Tempted
  • Back Roads (Glen Crossing #1)
  • Undone
  • The Seduction of an English Lady
  • Unspoken
  • First Comes Love
  • Lethal Seduction
  • Die Gebannte (Die Alchimistin, #3)
  • Firebird
  • Late for the Wedding (Lake/March, # 3)
  • The Wrong Hostage (St. Kilda Consulting, #2)
  • Vanished
  • Promise Me Forever (Lost Lords, #3)

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including FRICTION (2015), MEAN STREAK (2014), DEADLINE(2013), LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011), & TOUGH CUSTOMER (2010).

Brown began her writing career in 1981 and since then has published over
More about Sandra Brown...