Start by marking “The Kindergarten Wars: The Battle to Get into America's Best Private Schools” as Want to Read:
The Kindergarten Wars: The Battle to Get into America's Best Private Schools

The Kindergarten Wars: The Battle to Get into America's Best Private Schools

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  66 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
THE KINDERGARTEN WARS is the first narrative nonfiction book ever to take the reader inside all aspects of the private school application process. Eisenstock follows several families across the country from their first school tours until the moment they open their admissions letters. He interviews admissions directors, school heads, teachers, educational consultants, and k ...more
Published September 18th 2006 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Kindergarten Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kindergarten Wars

Stephanie
Jul 10, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschooling
This is an incredibly interesting book, and it is worth a read whether private schools are on your radar or not. Having attended a Catholic school myself I was interested to see how the admission process plays out at some of the country's most elite private schools. The book does not disappoint.

Eisenstock talks about some of the best schools in the country (often using fake names). He interviews their admission counselors, prospective parents and students, and education consultants. The informat
Kim Palacios
Sep 24, 2012 Kim Palacios rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents interested in private school admissions.
"The Kindergarten Wars" is a dually entertaining and fascinating read that gives a "train wreck" view of elite school admissions (i.e. grotesque, but you can't look away). Particularly strong is its attention to the importance of power, status, and other forms of influence over admissions decisions--"The Kindergarten Wars" accurately depicts this issue better than any other book on the topic.

Another strength is its readability: it is a non-fiction expose written in the best possible style: that
Julia
Apr 26, 2011 Julia rated it really liked it
I thought this was a really fun (completely crazy) quick little read. I may have enjoyed it more simply due to the fact that I am in the process of hunting for preschools in Chicago, and have been totally shocked by how difficult a process it is. So I guess I found a little peace of mind knowing that this process is actually occuring in large cities across the country, and that many other parents out there are dealing with the same issues (when the local public school is just not an option, do I ...more
Agatha
Sep 28, 2015 Agatha rated it liked it
Nonfiction book about trying to get your child through the private school kindergarten application process. I thought the best chapter was the final one, called “Tea Cups and Crispies,” which asked, “Does it even matter? Or are you creating fragile tea cups who will crack under the slightest pressure? Or little crispies who crumble at the first sign of trouble?”
Rachel
Oct 27, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it
I am shocked that parents spend so much to send their children to private schools! However, it was interesting to see how the parents made their decision. I wish this book had offered more details into how the schools chose their kindergarteners. I have read college admissions books that showed a lot more behind the scenes details.
Lanette
Oct 09, 2012 Lanette rated it really liked it
Interesting read that makes me so thankful that our quest for admittance into private school was super easy and successful without this much stress. It was stressful enough as it was without all that was described in this book. I was able to relate in some ways to the process described and then blown away in some other respects.
Moyna
May 12, 2011 Moyna rated it it was amazing
I loved This book. The best thing about it, was I didn't feel like I was reading some biased, mean bitter, skeptic adults opinions on the whole thing. It was like reading fiction, but real. I couldn't stop reading it, and when my sister read it she was hooked, too. I learned a lot. VERY informative.
Sue
Aug 26, 2009 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! How amazing is this entire process. A great book for any parent to read (or anyone interested in education in general). I'm so far removed from the world of private schools, but some of the descriptions of the schools really make me wish I could have gone to them when I was a kid.
ron newman
May 09, 2011 ron newman rated it liked it
Easy to read and moving. Although it's somewhat depressing to be presented with the sad shape of Americas public school system. I can empathize with the desperate parents who's actions appear over the top.
Hilary
Dec 21, 2008 Hilary rated it it was amazing
This book was easy to read and presented some fascinating evidence and observations about the nature of private education. I read the whole book in a couple of sittings, and loved it.
Dawn Mortazavi
should have been classified as nonfiction/fiction. the storyline of the moms' trying to get into private school was WAY funny, but it wasn't really an informative book
Rachel
Jun 20, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing
pet peeve/obsession! helicopter parents where only a 20,000 a year kindgergaraten is good enough for their lil johnny to get into harvard.
Justine Glynn
Jul 17, 2012 Justine Glynn rated it it was amazing
Alan Eisenstock's style is so easy and enjoyable to read, even when dealing with a difficult subject. Great book for any parent to read!
Oct 14, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it
This book has such a limited niche audience, but since I am part of same at the moment, I found it a quick, mildly fascinating read.
Chris
Sep 13, 2007 Chris rated it really liked it
Old TT mini-review:

Kindergarten Wars was really something, quite the page-turner. Thank God we don't live in NYC.
Barbara Brockhaus
Apr 08, 2009 Barbara Brockhaus rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Thank God we have a fabulous public school. These people are crazy.
Wendy
Jul 04, 2012 Wendy rated it it was ok
meh.
Brainy Boro
Brainy Boro rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Maguerite Traynor
Maguerite Traynor rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Jaxcap
Jaxcap rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Denise Plunkett
Denise Plunkett marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Susannah Shannon
Susannah Shannon rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2016
jendlo
jendlo added it
Feb 01, 2016
Kinga Berecz
Kinga Berecz is currently reading it
Jan 16, 2016
Julie Patterson
Julie Patterson rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Dec 18, 2015
- added it
Nov 13, 2015
Emily Boardman
Emily Boardman marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Lizziedlphns
Lizziedlphns rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I've been a writer most of my life. I've written books, magazine articles, TV shows, movies, plays, advertising copy, and brochures for my kids' school. A few years ago, I decided to walk away from a successful television writing and producing career and follow my dream of writing prose for a living.
More about Alan Eisenstock...