Promises Broken (The 4400)

Promises Broken (The 4400 #4)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  17 reviews
4400 taken, 4400 returned. All were given startling new abilities. Now, if you are willing to risk it all, you too can be extraordinary. Is this what the future intended to ensure the survival of the human race?
Promicin -- which kills half of those who dare to inject it and grants paranormal abilities to those who survive -- is spreading across the globe and threatening...more
Published October 27th 2009 by Pocket Star (first published October 3rd 2009)

Benjamin Thomas
As mentioned in my review of The 4400: Welcome to Promise City, I had watched the 4400 TV show through all four seasons only to be hugely disapointed at the cliff hanger ending resulting from cancellation. This is the second and final book to close out the story line of the show, and I thought it succeeded very well.

The last book struggled to advance the plot line very far, mostly because it got bogged down in trying to remind readers on where all of the characters are now...and there are a lot...more
C.L. Allen
After greatly enjoying "Welcome to Promise City", I wasted little time grabbing a copy of this conclusion to one of my favorite series. I really wanted to give this novel a four or five star review, but I just couldn't. "Promises Broken", while enjoyable in its own as a successor to The 4400, failed to deliver the grand exit that I felt this series deserved. Or course, there was much about this book that I did like, enough to recommend it even to fans of the series. However, some of the main cha...more
i was a bit disapointed in "welcome to promise city" because it did little to advance the story. promises broken however was a great read. it ended with a cliff hange but it was a far more satisying clifhanger than tthe shows. i woulld of course be thrilled to find out what happens next to my favorit promicin positives. i will be very annoyed if there is never another 4400 installment.
Mikael Kuoppala
The second half of a duology of books to offer closure to the cancelled TV-series "The 4400," "Promises Broken" does what it can given the scope of the saga it needs to finish. The book's predecessor "Welcome to Promise City" by Greg Cox was a bit lost and did obviously too little for the bigger picture. On the other hand it had the task of getting the readers back along for the ride. David Mack picks up where Cox left off and turns the pace up.

I've read Star Trek books by both Cox and Mack befo...more
Kent
This was a pretty good and exciting addition to the story line. My only gripe is that the personality of the characters isn't quite in sync with the prior book, but it's still a good read. I just wish they would have continues writing these books, because there's so much more story to go.
Jennifer Leavitt-wipf
This is a pretty good book, but only for fans of the 4400 show, who watched through season four's conclusion. (I don't think it stands alone, without the show.) The show was cancelled before there was closure, and two books were written to bring us a bit more of that. The first book was "The 4400: Welcome to Promise City." You really need to read both, but if you read this one without the first, this author does fill in necessary details so you won't be utterly confused. This book is allegedly "...more
Jd
Feb 18, 2014 Jd rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: tie-in
I was a huge fan of the show, and the previous book, and I thought this did an outstanding job tying up all of their lose ends.
Terri
I think this is the last book written about the 4400 but the end is left in such a way that the story can continue. Great series if you are/were a fan of the TV series. All the characters are the same as in the TV show. Although Welcome to Promise City and Promises Broken are written by two different authors, they have both done a good job of keeping the continuity between the characters and the overall style the same.
Roy
If you enjoyed the 4400 series on fx, then the two-book series (Promise City ad Promises Broken) provide a nice visit back to that world, a strong closure for the story lines at the end of the TV series, and the same fast-paced action and scifi idea exploration that made the TV series fun. It also has an ending that could be the basis for further novels, without being a cliff-hanger. I'm glad I read them; they were worth my limited reading time.
Lisa Murray
I read this because the series was cut after 4 seasons and left with a cliff-hanger; the writing was clearly for a television show--action based and the nuances brought by the actors were absent. But I'm glad to have some closure after watching all 4 seasons.
Kris Russel
A real treat for fans of the show. Wish they would have made this into a movie to conclude the series. Of course when I say conclude... The reason I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars is because it ends with a cliffhanger. *frustrated growl*
Rich
This book is a mess.

The 4400 was a great television series, but this book is just way too over the top and silly.

Truly this is a sad way to end such a great storyverse.
Stéphane Thinel
I have read 'Welcome to promise city' before this one and for me, these two books close very well the TV series that I have discover and watched passionately on Netflix.
Afsana
I enjoyed readuing this book- it was a light book and been a while since I read the others may have to go back and watch the series again
Stephanie
I was pretty irritated with how the show went, so I'm glad I got a chance to see a little more of it.
Vampirerichard
Angela
Jun 02, 2012 Angela marked it as to-read
2nd series finale books. Read second.
Marjory
Marjory is currently reading it
Jul 29, 2014
Poonam
Poonam marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Ruy Martinez
Ruy Martinez is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2014
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Matt
Matt added it
Jul 21, 2014
Ariel
Ariel is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2014
Rosalie
Rosalie marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
2620393
David Mack is the New York Times bestselling author of many Star Trek novels, including the Destiny trilogy and the acclaimed Vanguard series. His scripting credits include episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

Mack's first work of original fiction, a supernatural thriller titled The Calling, was published to critical acclaim in July 2009 by Simon & Schuster.

Follow him on Twitter @davidalanma...more
More about David Mack...
Gods of Night (Star Trek: Destiny #1) Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3) Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2) The Persistence of Memory (Star Trek TNG: Cold Equations, #1) Zero Sum Game (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)