Start by marking “Year of the Horse” as Want to Read:
Year of the Horse

Year of the Horse

A thrill-ride adventure novel capturing the adventure, mystery, legend, and lore of America

Year of the Horse is literary fantasy at its very best, a novel that delves into our myths, legends, hopes, and fears; a coming-of-age fable set in our fondly remembered (if often fictional) past, an adventure more than capable of setting your hair on end.

Year of the Horse tells the
Published October 15th 2009 by Overlook Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about Year of the Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Year of the Horse

Lawral
Mar 07, 2010 Lawral rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, read-but-unowned
Lu, the child of Chinese immigrants; Henry, first a slave then a Union soldier and now free; Chino, once just a Californian and now a Mexican with no homeland; and of course Jack Straw, also a former Union soldier and now a privateer of sorts; are all hired by John MacLemore, former Confederate loyalist, and his daughter Sadie to get their gold mine and homestead back from the man who murdered Sadie's mother. They travel across mountains, canyons, plains, and deserts. They also deal with Mormons ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Theresa L. Stowell for TeensReadToo.com

Justin Allen sends young Yen Tzu-lu, also known as Lu, on a Wild West adventure in this humorous twist on the old-fashioned western story.

Lu is the fourteen-year-old son of Chinese immigrants who lives with his intimidating mother and mysterious grandfather in the apartment above their general store. Lu's humdrum life undergoes a drastic change when larger-than-life hero Jack Straw comes to visit his grandfather.

Lu is surprised enough to find ou
Natalie
Jun 21, 2012 Natalie rated it liked it
I know this is going to sound weird but I was put off before I even reached chapter one by the authors "note and warning". I read it twice. Was he serious or kidding? I am still not sure but his "voice" outside the narrative of the book annoyed the crap out of me and for that I will not likely pick up another book by the author despite the fact that the story was pretty good.

I enjoyed the characters, their journey, the conflicts, the magic, lies, ghost-riders, and the devil, apparently. The plot
Pygmy
I feel bad about not finishing this book, since stories about Chinese having adventures in the West are super rare to nonexistent. However, though the writing is competent and features nothing to complain about, I still cannot get emotionally evolved. If I didn't have a pile of other books to read, I might have continued it, but alas...
Donald
Aug 09, 2010 Donald rated it it was amazing
Very entertaining, and a wonderful homage to a varied collection of classic writers and their tales of Old Scratch.
Jack
Aug 17, 2010 Jack rated it really liked it
Fun read!
ninefly
I now kind of know why I don't like Westerns. Too white, too slow, too macho.
The author did TRY to bring up some racial issues, though they were handled pretty vaguely, in the way that they're mentioned, but in the end it's "just the way life was". Motive and character growth were rather stunted and unclear for most of the book/characters - some things were forgiven too easily, the main character was too follow-the-leader, the mysterious/dramatic hero just ended up really annoying.
I did like som
Sue
Sep 23, 2013 Sue rated it did not like it
Shelves: aarf-yuck-ugh
Before the book even starts, the author threatens to sue
whoever doesn't let EVERYONE read it.
Who does that?

" . . . will be sued to the fullest extent of the law. The firm of Lister, Gatliff, Patrelle, Irons and Murphy has already filed a dozen such suits, and is prepared to enter into literally hundreds more. The author considers this fair warning."

Well, take your book and shove it -- "where the sun don't shine".
MINUS five stars.
Denise "Mika" Hutchins
Although there wasn't anything terrible in this book that prevented me from finishing it, there also wasn't anything to compel me to pick it back up. I didn't get far enough to feel like I can give the book an honest star rating. I simply lost interest.
Melissa
Aug 27, 2011 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, 2011-reads
It was okay, but the end ruined it for me.
Julie
Feb 26, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five, western
Don't know that I've ever really read many western novels, but this one was great. Good characters and plot. Sorry when it ended.
Odetta
Apr 08, 2011 Odetta rated it did not like it
Because of the genre of the book, we didn't think I'd like it, but I couldn't get past the reader.
H.N.
I'd say it's more 3.5 stars, but it gets 4 for excellent use of geography and unusual characters and history.
Eunice
Eunice rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Trev
Trev rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2010
Nathan Ameye
Nathan Ameye rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2015
J
J rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2010
Linn
Linn rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2009
Kayla Hoke
Kayla Hoke rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Rel
Rel rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2012
Wendi
Wendi rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2011
Meg
Meg rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2012
feux d'artifice
feux d'artifice rated it did not like it
Mar 04, 2010
Joanne
Joanne rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2015
Day
Day rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2010
Matthew William
Matthew William rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2015
TheBookSmugglers
TheBookSmugglers rated it it was ok
Apr 08, 2010
Gus
Gus rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2012
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2012
Tom Bunge
Tom Bunge rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2012
Justin was born in Boise, Idaho in 1974. He graduated from Boise State University with a degree in philosophy, was named one of the school’s Top Ten Scholars, and invited to present the valedictory address at the commencement of the College of Arts and Sciences. Soon after, Justin moved to New York City, where he enrolled in Columbia University’s Writing Program, specializing in fiction and sincer ...more
More about Justin Allen...