Start by marking “Year of the Horse” as Want to Read:
Year of the Horse

Year of the Horse

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A thrill-ride adventure novel capturing the adventure, mystery, legend, and lore of America

Year of the Horse is literary fantasy at its very best, a novel that delves into our myths, legends, hopes, and fears; a coming-of-age fable set in our fondly remembered (if often fictional) past, an adventure more than capable of setting your hair on end.

Year of the Horse tells the
Published October 15th 2009 by The Overlook Press

To ask other readers questions about Year of the Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Year of the Horse

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Theresa L. Stowell for TeensReadToo.com

Justin Allen sends young Yen Tzu-lu, also known as Lu, on a Wild West adventure in this humorous twist on the old-fashioned western story.

Lu is the fourteen-year-old son of Chinese immigrants who lives with his intimidating mother and mysterious grandfather in the apartment above their general store. Lu's humdrum life undergoes a drastic change when larger-than-life hero Jack Straw comes to visit his grandfather.

Lu is surprised enough to find ou
Natalie
I know this is going to sound weird but I was put off before I even reached chapter one by the authors "note and warning". I read it twice. Was he serious or kidding? I am still not sure but his "voice" outside the narrative of the book annoyed the crap out of me and for that I will not likely pick up another book by the author despite the fact that the story was pretty good.

I enjoyed the characters, their journey, the conflicts, the magic, lies, ghost-riders, and the devil, apparently. The plot
Lawral
Lu, the child of Chinese immigrants; Henry, first a slave then a Union soldier and now free; Chino, once just a Californian and now a Mexican with no homeland; and of course Jack Straw, also a former Union soldier and now a privateer of sorts; are all hired by John MacLemore, former Confederate loyalist, and his daughter Sadie to get their gold mine and homestead back from the man who murdered Sadie's mother. They travel across mountains, canyons, plains, and deserts. They also deal with Mormons ...more
Pygmy
I feel bad about not finishing this book, since stories about Chinese having adventures in the West are super rare to nonexistent. However, though the writing is competent and features nothing to complain about, I still cannot get emotionally evolved. If I didn't have a pile of other books to read, I might have continued it, but alas...
Donald
Very entertaining, and a wonderful homage to a varied collection of classic writers and their tales of Old Scratch.
Jack
Fun read!
ninefly
I now kind of know why I don't like Westerns. Too white, too slow, too macho.
The author did TRY to bring up some racial issues, though they were handled pretty vaguely, in the way that they're mentioned, but in the end it's "just the way life was". Motive and character growth were rather stunted and unclear for most of the book/characters - some things were forgiven too easily, the main character was too follow-the-leader, the mysterious/dramatic hero just ended up really annoying.
I did like som
Sue
Before the book even starts, the author threatens to sue
whoever doesn't let EVERYONE read it.
Who does that?

" . . . will be sued to the fullest extent of the law. The firm of Lister, Gatliff, Patrelle, Irons and Murphy has already filed a dozen such suits, and is prepared to enter into literally hundreds more. The author considers this fair warning."

Well, take your book and shove it -- "where the sun don't shine".
MINUS five stars.
Julie
Don't know that I've ever really read many western novels, but this one was great. Good characters and plot. Sorry when it ended.
H.N.
I'd say it's more 3.5 stars, but it gets 4 for excellent use of geography and unusual characters and history.
Odetta
Because of the genre of the book, we didn't think I'd like it, but I couldn't get past the reader.
Melissa
It was okay, but the end ruined it for me.
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Byul
Byul marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Judd Guida
Judd Guida marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Mary Nguyen
Mary Nguyen marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Jamie1412
Jamie1412 marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
deborah
deborah marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Bessie
Bessie added it
Aug 20, 2014
Shae/Shelver
Shae/Shelver marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Denise Hutchins
Denise Hutchins is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2014
Kibo
Kibo added it
Nov 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Justin was born in Boise, Idaho in 1974. He graduated from Boise State University with a degree in philosophy, was named one of the school’s Top Ten Scholars, and invited to present the valedictory address at the commencement of the College of Arts and Sciences. Soon after, Justin moved to New York City, where he enrolled in Columbia University’s Writing Program, specializing in fiction and sincer ...more
More about Justin Allen...
Slaves of the Shinar Body Building Diet: The Truth Exposed About Body Building for Nutrition, Body Building for Women and More Year of the Horse: A Novel HR Transformation: Building Human Resources from the Outside in HR Transformation: Building Human Resources From the Outside In