Start by marking “The Goon, Volume 8: Those That Is Damned” as Want to Read:
The Goon, Volume 8: Those That Is Damned

The Goon, Volume 8: Those That Is Damned (The Goon TPB #8)

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  441 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The town on the edge of HorseEater's Wood is permeated by all manner of dark things hatred, fear, unhappiness, demons, and the undead (to name a few) brought on by a curse that has festered within the forest for many years. The Goon himself was drawn by the power of the curse, but his soul is not consumed by this bleak place, and he discovers that he is the only hope for h ...more
Published July 14th 2009 by Dark Horse Books (first published June 23rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Goon, Volume 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Goon, Volume 8

Ivan
Jun 14, 2016 Ivan rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Powell's part was good but short stories from other authors where just dull.I think it's been proven by now that Goon is only good when done by Powell himself.

Powell's part(continuation of Labrazio storyline): 4 stars
Short stories: 2 stars
Jonathan Schildbach
May 02, 2015 Jonathan Schildbach rated it really liked it
Picked this up because Volume 9 starts in the middle of the whole Labrazio-back-from-the-dead saga, and I couldn't quite remember what had happened or what the little baby-monsters had to do with it. The parts of this book that Powell wrote and illustrated are more of my favorite kind of work from him--the more somber and disturbing stuff. There's a sort of 'origin story' for Horse-Eater's Wood and why the town is cursed, and then the first parts of the Labrazio resurrection story. A big portion ...more
Uremawife Nowdave
Jun 26, 2014 Uremawife Nowdave rated it it was amazing
I wish Powell was the sole writer for Goon. When he gets in his stride with a story arc his writing is dark, menacing and hilarious. If James Ellroy wrote L'il Abner while huffing ether it would be a lot like Goon. Unfortunately I feel that the other writers that fill this volume (and many of the previous collections) are actually a detriment to the overall quality. They read like what they are, padding. I understand how difficult a monthly deadline must be and the necessity to fill a comic, but ...more
Sam Quixote
Oct 14, 2011 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it
Half of this book continues the main Goon story with Labrazio returned somehow from the dead and waging war on Goon and co. with Mr Wicker and a host of former baddies Goon's tangled with in tow. The second half is made of short stories from other artists and writers about Goon and his world.

First half is excellent with Eric Powell's writing becoming as brilliant as his artwork. There's a wonderful, if tragic, story of how Horse-Eater's Woods came to be and the war for Lonely Street begins in e
Orrin Grey
Dec 08, 2009 Orrin Grey rated it it was ok
The Goon is a pretty big deal these days, and with good reason. The first four or five Goon collections are aces. But starting with Chinatown and moving forward, my interest in the series has waned pretty sharply.

I missed a volume in-between Chinatown and this one, but the storyline is pretty easy to pick up. The problem is, while everyone's tragic backstories work pretty well when they're parceled out amidst all the usual hoopla of a Goon comic, when they take center stage and start to become t
Erika
Dec 31, 2015 Erika rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was pretty great in the fact that we learn why so many evil things are attracted to Horse-Eater's Wood and the town. I also really appreciated the short stories in the back for their ability to uplift the mood of the readers; especially with how bleak everything has become. It was a much needed reprieve from the darkness of this tale.
Gabriel Wallis
May 22, 2014 Gabriel Wallis rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
The Goon: Those That Is Damned was an entertaining graphic novel. The writing's great, the art's great, and the storyline is just fun to read. Looking forward to the next Goon graphic novel, The Goon: Calamity of Conscience. This graphic novel seemed like an intro into another storyline. The Goon declares war on Labrazio.
Christian
Jan 07, 2015 Christian rated it really liked it
I'm running out of things to say about The Goon, 'cause every volume is a gorgeous mix of hard-boiled pulp and gross humor. Nobody draws like Eric Powell - people loom, monsters ooze, and there's a wicked character beneath everything.
Mike
Nov 17, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: creator-owned
Five stars for the main story; three stars for the filler stor(ies). Goon universe mythology is getting darker and more depressing each volume, but it totally draws me in. It makes more and more sense, and is like the best noir - a train wreck of inevitable sadness that you just can't stop watching.

I'm sad that Powell was so ga-ga about his heroes and fellow writers/illustrators that he'd let them soak up so much page count on stuff I could really care less about. Some of the writers don't have
Kenny Porter
Jun 05, 2014 Kenny Porter rated it it was amazing
With every volume of "The Goon" that I read I fall in love with it more and more.
Matthew
May 07, 2014 Matthew rated it it was ok
I know lots of people love this series. This was my first try with it. Not my thing.
Jarlos
Aug 07, 2011 Jarlos added it
while some books that start silly make a mistake in taking their own mythology too seriously, The Goon instead took a great book and made it brilliant in doing so. the story of the characters has become so rich and clever and brutally haunting, it rivals Hellboy in it's mystic history. Whe death of another enjoyable character and the first sense that there really is a cohesive and dangerous rogues gallery, the combination of vol. 7 and 8 made me realize The Goon should be ranked as one of the be ...more
Brad
Feb 06, 2010 Brad rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Amazing art, good story. The Will Eisner-inspired first issue giving more back story to The Buzzard is wonderful, as is the gruesome ending to the third issue. It's too bad there's only four issues in this volume--getting halfway through the book to see a slew of back-up stories was a letdown, but those stories are surprisingly fine, especially the connected stories at the end. They provide a lighthearted counter to the increasingly dour main story.
Michael
Feb 15, 2010 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Eric Powell's "Goon" has become absolutely amazing.Since the "Chinatown" volume, the character is now fully developed and the mixture of humor, horror and pathos is pitch perfect.

The problem with this volume is the collection of stories from other comic writers who aren't able to combine all those elements as deftly as Powell has.
Mike
Mar 15, 2012 Mike rated it liked it
"The Goon" has gained a great deal of emotional depth, but as it has done so it has lost much of the out-of-left-field zaniness that made it so much fun. "The Goon" remains a solid read, but is no longer quite the supreme joy it used to be.
Colleen
Oct 26, 2009 Colleen rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Typical great Goon--delves more into the history of Horse-Eaters Wood and more twists with Labrazio. Was not a fan of the other sections with various artists. Somehow, it doesn't translate as well in other hands.
Daniel
Mar 18, 2011 Daniel rated it really liked it
Loved everything about the GOON story, proper. But I only ever enjoy the shorter stories by different authors and artists as parodies. So, of 5. ...more
James
Oct 01, 2009 James rated it it was amazing
Stunning artwork that improves greatly along with the story that breaks up tension masterfully with old timey blue comedy.
John
Dec 17, 2013 John rated it really liked it
The story takes some dark turns, with some side trips down the alleyways of oddity.
David
Oct 31, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
Story 4,5/5 Art 5/5 Zatiaľ najlepšie volume...
A M
A M rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2016
David Britton
David Britton rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Nausicaa
Nausicaa rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Garrett Brzozowski
Garrett Brzozowski marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Kyle
Kyle rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Frédéric Garrigou
Frédéric Garrigou rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Justin Grimes
Justin Grimes rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Rhoden88
Rhoden88 marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
  • Baltimore, Vol. 2: The Curse Bells (Baltimore, #2)
  • The Boys, Volume 8: Highland Laddie
  • Northlanders, Vol. 2: The Cross and the Hammer
  • Crossed: Wish You Were Here, Volume 1
  • Hack/Slash Volume 3: Friday the 31st (Hack/Slash)
  • 100 Bullets: The Deluxe Edition Book II
  • Crossed, Vol. 5
  • Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 2
Eric Powell has contributed work on such comics titles as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Hellboy: Weird Tales, Star Wars Tales, The Incredible Hulk, Black Panther, The Avengers, The Hood, MAD Magazine, Devil Dinosaur, Swamp Thing, the Avengers, She-Hulk, the Simpsons, Arkham Asylum: Living Hell and Action Comics.

Although eking out a meager living in the comics field since 1995, Eric didn't find
More about Eric Powell...

The Goon TPB (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Rough Stuff (The Goon TPB #0)
  • The Goon, Volume 1: Nothin' but Misery
  • The Goon, Volume 2: My Murderous Childhood (and Other Grievous Yarns)
  • The Goon, Volume 3: Heaps of Ruination