Start by marking “Saul Leiter: Early Color” as Want to Read:
Saul Leiter: Early Color

Saul Leiter: Early Color

This is a reprint of the immensely successful Early Color (2008), which presented Saul Leiter's remarkable body of color work to the public for the first time in book form. Although Edward Steichen had exhibited some of Leiter's color photography at The Museum of Modern Art in 1953, it remained virtually unknown to the world thereafter. Leiter moved to New York in 1946 to ...more
Published January 15th 2006 by Steidl Dap

To ask other readers questions about Saul Leiter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saul Leiter

Bill
Jul 27, 2015 Bill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
Im not sure how I missed this work all these years. Absolutely beautiful photos; a totally different approach to street photography than I've ever seen. Leiter extracts color, shape, dimension, energy from the prosaic scenes he photographed. The use of color was historically breakthrough as well.
Brian
Jun 09, 2016 Brian rated it it was amazing
i've totally fallen in love with saul leiter's work the last few weeks. his color might be a bit better than his monochrome, but all is brilliant regardless.
Peterk
Nov 29, 2011 Peterk rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
Finally managed to get hold of this book, it has been sold out for a while but Amazon.fr all of a sudden had 4 extra copies available at a very reasonable price. I was impressed by Leiter's exhibition in Antwerp's Gallery 54 already and now equally by his 'paintings' in this book. The colour palette is an integral part of the images, many of which seem trivial at first until one digs deeper. Well recommended!
Barry Stoch
Feb 04, 2016 Barry Stoch rated it it was ok
Shelves: photography
I have enjoy some of Saul Leiter's work and this is the second time I have taken a stab at this book.
Print quality of images were poor and images are very small. I know a lot of folks have found Saul's street work to be inspirational but for the most part I'm not in the camp. I much prefer the early colour work of Fred Herzog
Cliff Hare
Jul 23, 2013 Cliff Hare rated it it was amazing
Simultaneously evocative and alienating with strange intersections of reflections, fragments and objects without context - these images could be used to illustrate a Robert Chambers story. Subtly disturbing.
Stephan
Jan 23, 2009 Stephan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books
Haven't seen this one recently - but have coveted it since I didn't buy it years ago. I want. Looking forward to the Photofile book on him to come out soon.
Brimmer
Brimmer marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Rosemarie
Rosemarie marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Mike Beecham
Mike Beecham rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Ming
Ming marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Kate Monro
Kate Monro marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Clare Jang
Clare Jang marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Simon Rutter
Simon Rutter marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Josephine Ahnelt
Josephine Ahnelt rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2016
John Gaba
John Gaba rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Chen Yu-Chi
Chen Yu-Chi marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Steve
Steve added it
Jun 11, 2016
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Angelika Tsivinskaya
Angelika Tsivinskaya marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
Enrique Barreiro
Enrique Barreiro rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
Emma Stocker
Emma Stocker marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Sergei Ivaniutin
Sergei Ivaniutin rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016