Start by marking “Testament: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Testament: A Novel

Testament: A Novel

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  216 ratings  ·  27 reviews
A stunning fictional biography, Testament presents the earthly life of Jesus from the perspectives of four fascinating figures. In powerful accounts colored by their own beliefs and desires, the following men and women tell the captivating story:

Yihuda of Qiryat (Judas Iscariot), a freedom fighter working for Rome’s overthrow who is drawn to the charismatic teacher; Miryam
Published April 14th 2004 by Mariner Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Testament, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Testament

Harry Maier
I am a Professor of New Testament Studies who is well versed in historical Jesus study and has written a few things of my own on the topic. Ricci has clearly done his homework and has spent a good deal of time with the scholarly literature, especially with that from the Jesus Seminar. Jesus is a Cynic like character. Ricci leaves the Jesus Seminarians behind when he has Jesus recruiting followers amongst Gentiles in and around Gerasa (itself a highly contested spot historically). This seems unli ...more
Marvin
An imaginative retelling of the life of Jesus. Appropriately enough, it's divided into 4 "books," each narrated from a different perspective by someone close to Jesus: Yihud of Qiryat (Judas Iscariot), always a favorite of those seeking to dramatically recount Jesus' life; Miryam of Migdal (Mary Magdalene, ditto; Miryam, mother of Jesus; & the Simon who carried Jesus' cross to Golgotha. This is a decidedly secular telling, with the miracles discounted & Jesus' divinity not really even co ...more
Clownface3 Kinder
This book tells the story of the life of Jesus from three perspectives - that of Mary Magdalene, John the Baptist and Judas. The book is total fiction, and nevertheless tells an intriguing story. What is most fascinating is way the story forces the reader to think about different perspectives on history. We may all be present at the same event and yet walk away with an entirely different perspective. I highly recommend this for anyone interested in religious history, social change, and human dra ...more
Nadine Wiper-bergeron
I adored this book. I loved the every day interpretation of Jesus' life and miracles - an easy explanation for the entire series of events. Artfully crafted, it does not take away from the Bible itself, but rather humanizes Jesus. Beautiful. I rarely reread books, but this one is on my list to do so.
ShareStories
This is a fictionalized version of the story of Jesus that, is intriguing as literature, although not as Scripture.
Ron Charles
Nino Ricci is fortunate that Christian leaders aren't currently issuing fatwas, although as Salman Rushdie knows, there's nothing like a blasphemy charge to boost sales. Back before Madonna became a madonna, she profited from fundamentalists hyperventilating over her lyrics, but we haven't really had an energetic heresy debate since Martin Scorsese's "Last Temptation of Christ" in 1988.

On balance, this is a good thing. Fear of censure can smother artistic creativity. And liberal democracies don'
R. Kevin
Suppose that Dominic Crossan wrote a novel...
David Campton
Not impressed, but not for theological reasons. Whilst Ricci's portrayal of Jesus as a cynic teacher and folk healer is at odds with my own understanding, it was more the literary and narrative styles that frustrated. Whilst the story was told from four different perspectives, the language and phraseology of each narrator was not distinctively different, and all characters, whether narrators or others were hard to warm too. That said there were interesting insights offered that rarely appear in ...more
Lora
Jesus' life story in novel form, as told by four individuals who knew him, each holding a separate facet of his life up to examine. The first, Judas (Yehudi), leaves off his story before Passover begins. Then Mary Magdalene (Miryam of Migdal) tells her version up to the point of their departure for Jerusalem. Interestingly, his mother comes third and tells the story of his conception and childhood--NOT the story from Matthew and Luke!--and their current relationship which is extremely strained. ...more
John
This was eventually good, but a bugger to get into.
EunSung
i think having theological education makes reading biblical fiction tricky. the author borrows a lot from Jesus seminar and leans heavily towards Jesus (Yeshua) being a Cynic philosopher. I found the Judas character the most appealing and his narrative had better imagery than most of the other narratives. I think he portrays the women a little bit unfairly, even though for women of that time and place had very restricted roles, their thoughts and behaviors could not have been as petty as Ricci m ...more
Daniel Kukwa
The most disturbing novel I have ever read...and I mean disturing in a way that left me shaking...physically & mentally. I have no adequate words to describe how powerful this book truly is...you'll have to discover it for yourself.

This is unlike any other novel I have ever encountered. I'm almost afraid to ever read it again.
Kristina
Really outstanding novel.

Nino Ricci divides the novel into 4 parts, much like the 4 Gospels and chronicles the birth, life and death of Jesus from the lives of those around him.

It is very poignant. The "Mary" Gospel is particularly moving.

I read this in less than 2 days I think. It was that good.
Aaron
Fascinating historical fictional account of the life of Yeshua (Jesus). I loved the historical context: learning more about the factions in Judaism at the time, the effects of the Roman occupation, and the interaction between the various regions and peoples of the Holy Land.
Mavis
This book was extremely well written - especially the way the story evolves as you read from the perspectives of three different characters... but it disturbed me and maybe shook my faith a little. Not sure if that is a statement more about me or the book, but, yeah.
Leslie
A friend insisted that I read this one, and I had my doubts. I thought it seemed sort of gimmicky (it's the story of Jesus told from the perspectives of four people who knew him). I was actually a very satisfying read, though. Good writing.
Jill Moore
I re-read this book just recently, and although it's a slow build at first by one quarter of the way in, I couldn't put the book down. I felt really drawn into the stories, the people and the time period even though I'm not a religious person.
KBev
This book was interesting. It made me really think about a lot of things that I had learned about Jesus growing up. It was not historically accurate at all, but it was interesting nonetheless. But also kind of strange.
Rick Edwards
I recommend Ricci's novel highly. He tells the Jesus story from the perspective of four characters, including his mother and his betrayer. His fiction is well researched, and a good read.
Porterhorse
Very well composed and researched, intriguing detail about the actual landscape, cultures, and events of the time.
Neoma
100 times more facinating than da vinci code, jesus christ's life from 4 different perspectives
Skot
Phenomenally ambitious and successful. Felt utterly human and true.
Tony Fecteau
I liked the different views of people around the story.
TJ
Thought provoking though not what I expected.
Jen
just OK (and that's a stretch)....
Kcarma
Love this book. Opens the mind.
Christopher
A pretty much impeccably writting fictional account of the historical Jesus. Very engrossing.
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
  • Never Too Late: Take Control of Your Retirement and Your Life
  • Twenty-Six
  • The First Pharaoh
  • License to Scratch
  • From Jesus to Christianity: How Four Generations of Visionaries and Storytellers Created the New Testament and Christian Faith
  • Stolen Life: Journey Of A Cree Woman
  • Une saison dans la vie d'Emmanuel
  • Language Death
  • Dance Me Outside
  • The Hippopotamus Marsh (Lord of the Two Lands, #1)
  • The Wolves of St. Peter's
  • The Shadow of Ararat (Oath of Empire #1)
  • Saints of Big Harbour
Nino Ricci’s first novel was the internationally acclaimed Lives of the Saints. It spent 75 weeks on the Globe and Mail‘s bestseller list and was the winner of the F.G. Bressani Prize, the Books in Canada First Novel Award, and the Governor General’s Award for Fiction. In England it won Betty Trask Award and Winnifred Holtby Prize, in the U.S. was shortlisted for the Los Angeles Times Art Seidenba ...more
More about Nino Ricci...
Lives of the Saints The Origin of Species Where She Has Gone In a Glass House Book of Saints