Start by marking “When Breaks the Dawn (Canadian West #3)” as Want to Read:
When Breaks the Dawn (Canadian West #3)

When Breaks the Dawn (Canadian West #3)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  3,737 ratings  ·  73 reviews
Published February 1st 2005 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about When Breaks the Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Breaks the Dawn

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversAn Echo in the Darkness by Francine RiversAs Sure as the Dawn by Francine RiversThe Silent Governess by Julie Klassen
Best Christian Historical Fiction
325th out of 881 books — 1,001 voters
Love Comes Softly by Janette OkeLove's Long Journey by Janette OkeThe Meeting Place by Janette OkeWhen Calls the Heart by Janette OkeA Gown of Spanish Lace (The Janette Oke Collection) by Janette Oke
Best Janette Oke book
36th out of 40 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“After surviving a harsh first year in the far north, Elizabeth Delaney and her Royal Canadian Mountie husband, Wynn, are settling into the small community of Beaver Creek. Elizabeth is once more teaching school, and they seem to be gradually making a place for themselves among the Indians. And then the news arrives...”

Series: Book #3 of the “Canadian West” series. (Book #1 review Here! and Book #2 review Here!) {There is a movie based on the first book of this series with the sa
Melissa

When Breaks the Dawn is the third novel in Janette Oke's Canadian West series. I found that this book was much improved over the second in the series and just as good as the first.

This installment starts out exactly where the second book left it, at the trader's and his wife's return to the settlement with much needed supplies. Unlike the other books however, this one covers several years instead of just one year.

Elizabeth has largely adjusted to living life in the frigid North and with her frie
Alexis Villery
I used to read Janette Oke a lot when I was younger so I decided to pick up this book in a moment of nostalgia. In a nutshell, this book is about the trial and tribulations of Elizabeth and Wynn while they endure the hardships of the rugged west.

You don't have to have read the first two books in the series but it might be helpful. Some characters are mentioned in passing that will be unfamiliar if you haven't read the previous two books but it doesn't affect the present storyline much. Some boo
Annalisa
Gale
“The Birth of a Frontier Wife”

In this 3rd book of the Schoolteacher Meets Mountie quartet
Elizabeth and Wynn are firmly established in the little Indian village in the Canadian northwest. Kip, their silver-furred husky, comes into his own. With the return of Spring the long-awaited supply train arrives so the villagers do not starve and the men can rebuild the burned-out trading post. Nimmie, Elizabeth’s dear Indian girlfriend, urges her to take up her dream to establish a school for the Native
Allan67
This is another book that I have just finished reading to the wife. It is a continuation of the second book and takes up when the people of the settlement meet the supply wagon train in the Spring. I think that without reading the first two books of this series, we would have missed much. Much of the book focuses on Elizabeth and Wynn's inability to have children, their taking in what would now be called foster children and the emotions of giving up the children that have become a part of their ...more
Becky
When Breaks the Dawn continues right where When Comes The Spring leaves off. In When Comes The Spring, the community is desperate but resourceful after a horrible fire destroys the village's supply store. Without these resources to see them through, the whole community is at risk. Alone these families and individuals have little chance, but, working together, well, they might just survive: not that it will be easy, but still, there's hope. When Breaks the Dawn begins with the arrival of the supp ...more
Hilary
Now settled in the remote village with her Mountie husband, Elizabeth's life is still full of changes. Her friends need help, she wants to start a school, and she desperately wants to start a family. The emotional turmoil and pain some of these cause may hit close to home for some, but the author doesn't dwell on sadness for too long - and Elizabeth's faith in God always brings hope.
Kristi
At this point i find Elizabeth's barrenness to be a bit unbelievable. i love Kip and feel for her on Susie and Samuel but she is healthier than the native women and that she hasn't at least miscarried seems odd. The years seem to fly by and Elizabeth finds wilderness life suits her, she isn't ill or infirm, it seems to only serve to provide angst.
Beverly
Just a really good story about life in the Canadian northwest in 1910. Author describes their lives in great detail. Because of the TV, I visualize the characters I have come to know from the TV series. Have gotten into this series and am enjoying the characters. Looking forward to the next book.
AJ
Abby
WIIA: Struggling Elizabeth makes her way through while being saddened by the fact that she may never have children. She also helps a lot of children.

Pros: This was sweet, full of hardships but real like.

Cons: Sad. I cried.

Iffy: She really wants a baby but she can't conceive.
Ngdecker
Once again, I really enjoyed this book - the 3rd in the series. Because we had a difficult time having children, I could really relate to Elizabeth's heartache and disappointment. I am looking forward to book #4.
Jeannette Tomko
Canadian West book 3

Anyone who likes Janette Woke books will love this series. The book draws you in and you do not want to put it down. Can't wait to start the next book!
Beverly
So much loss for Elizabeth and Wynn and I'm not sure I could handle it myself. God was always there guiding, nuturing,strengthening in His everlasting love.
Elizabeth
Another brilliant story of faith, love, and strength for which God gives to his children. Janette Oke is a wonderful author and shows us how to let God into our lives.
Marion Hewines
Love it

Although the story was sad I feel that it makes you want to trust God in all situations . Faith is the Victory.
Judy
This is the third book in Janette Oke's Canadian West series. It is a great continuation of Elizabeth and Wynn Delaney's story of hardship and survival in the Canadian northwest in the early part of the 20th century. Wynn is a Canadian Mountie and Elizabeth does her best to support and help him in any way that she can.
Lenora Jean Clutter
Another way of life

it is hard to imagine being away from civilization, but I feel as though I've been there and anxious to return with the next book in the series. very good reading.
Katie
This book was actually my favorite of the series so far. It had a little more substance than the others.
Malia
I am so glad that I live in a time when there are infertility treatments and adoption is common. Having gone through years of infertility and loss, I was really able to identify with Elizabeth.

I really appreciated that the Delaney's were not "magically" able to conceive just because they stopped worrying about it. Yes, it's fiction, but it's much more realistic and easier to identify with this way. So much fiction about infertility ends that way... it's not at all realistic. Yes, at times, God
Catherine
My one complaint with this book is that it felt rushed as she covered several years in one.
Margaret Fraleigh
Book #3 in the Candian West series.

Awesome book.

Can't wait to start book #4
Eloise
I am enjoying this series but found this book to be too similar to the one preceding it. They were so similar, in fact, that they kind of mushed together in my head and I didn't know which book contained which content. I'm enjoying the next one so far though! =)
An inspiring story of a courageous pioneer woman.
Margaret
Good christian driven story
This was really good. I learn a lot through Beth's struggles and how she doesn't just get what she wants right away. She's also a good example of a godly wife.

After reading the "Seasons of the Heart" and this series I'm honestly getting sick of first person. Which is weird because I usually prefer first person. Recently though first person has made me feel disconnected from the minor characters in the book. That isn't really something against the book itself though. Just something I'm thinking
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Dec 17, 2014 04:06PM
  • A Gathering of Memories (A Place Called Home, #4)
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • Ashes and Ice (Yukon Quest, #2)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...

Canadian West (6 books)
  • When Calls the Heart (Canadian West, #1)
  • When Comes the Spring (Canadian West #2)
  • When Hope Springs New (Canadian West #4)
  • Beyond the Gathering Storm (Canadian West #5)
  • When Tomorrow Comes (Canadian West #6)
Love Comes Softly (Love Comes Softly, #1) When Calls the Heart (Canadian West, #1) Love's Enduring Promise (Love Comes Softly #2) Love's Long Journey (Love Comes Softly #3) Love's Abiding Joy (Love Comes Softly, #4)