Start by marking “Another Homecoming” as Want to Read:
Another Homecoming

Another Homecoming (Kyle Adams #1)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  1,012 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Christian fiction powerhouses Oke and Bunn team up again (after Return to Harmony, Bethany, 1996) with a story of wartime romance and its tragic consequences. Martha and Harry Grimes were married for only nine weeks when he was sent overseas during World War II. When Harry is declared "missing and presumed dead," 18-year-old Martha panics at the thought of raising their ex ...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Another Homecoming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Homecoming

Deborah
May 08, 2016 Deborah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I was going to.

I've never read anything by Janette Oke before and I wasn't really interested in reading her writing; I heard it was deep and boring. That was not the case. A close friend gave me this book a while ago and I thought it would be fun to read at least one of Oke's books, so I decided to give it a try. I was not disappointed.

The plot was beautifully played out throughout the book. The cover led me to believe that it was high on the romance
Jesseca Wheaton
Oct 30, 2015 Jesseca Wheaton rated it really liked it
I ended up staying up till 1am to finish this book. . .enough said. ;)
Except for the "Canadian West Series", I've pretty much stayed away from Janette Oke's books because they seem to predictable. But, this book was recommended to me by a friend, so I decided to try it. :)
Well, I'm glad I did! Although the plot seemed to start out a bit slow, the rest of the book quickly made up for it. And the ending! *hugs book* I was kinda expecting it, but it was so sweet nonetheless! Another thing I really
Olivia
Jan 09, 2016 Olivia rated it it was amazing
Recommended Age: 13 and up
This book shows the heartache of a woman when she hears news that her husband is missing in action. Instead of keeping her baby, she refuses to see it when she gives birth and Kyle is adopted by a rich couple. As Kyle gets older, it shows her life with a couple she always imagined were her parents, while her unknown younger brother Joel grows up in a home full of anger and misunderstandings. When Kyle finds out the truth of her birth, she knows she must search for her b
Alicia
I love almost everything Janette Oke writes and this book was no exception. Oke and T. Davis Bunn make an incredible writing team and this is now my favourite one of theirs. I particularly like how they really show you the heart of each character and make you feel their pain, joy and sorrow.

It was a moving story about an adopted daughter who grows up with a controlling mother and meets with shocking surprises, and her biological brother who grows up in an unhappy home but finds true joy in God.
R.
Jul 29, 2016 R. rated it liked it
Melissa
Here's my review from when I read the book years ago (who knows if I'd still gush over it so much):
I LOVED it! It was so emotional and touching and riveting! I read the last half of it all in one night, staying up till 2:00 to finish it! I cried deeply at one time when there was something very sad. The characters are so deep and living in my mind; I felt like I was there in their own world feeling their own pain and joy. I didn't want the story to end, and I'm looking forward with great anticipa
Ashley
Jul 10, 2013 Ashley rated it it was amazing
I have read other books by Janette Oke. She was the first Christian author that I truly enjoyed reading. When looking for other books by here this was the one that caught my eye. I truly enjoyed this book from start to finish. I rented it from the library and they did not have the second book on their shelf so I bought it so I could continue the story. I like how Oke weaves the story of Kyle and Joel together. She makes me give my heart to Kyle and reach out to her because of her life hardships ...more
Melinda Crews Kirkley
Oct 04, 2016 Melinda Crews Kirkley rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! Martha, a young bride, makes the heart-wrenching choice to give her child up for adoption after being told her husband is presumed dead in WWII. The girl, named Kyle by her adoptive parents, grows up with no knowledge of her adoption. When her adoptive father dies, Abigail, Kyle's domineering mother tries to completely ruin Kyle by telling her she was adopted and thus does not have rights to anything of her father's. Kyle begins to question her past and goes in search of her r ...more
J F
Nov 30, 2014 J F rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adoption
A moving portrait of adoption - on three levels - with some serious doses of historical, medical suspense woven in, this novel deals with both up-to-the-minute and timeless themes of human interaction. Set against the back-drop of WWII, the reader is drawn into the lives of two hurting couples while, also, being shown penetrating glimpses of period history. Vibrant caricatures keep this work's tone bright despite subjects that would, otherwise, leave a reader morose rather than uplifted. Oke &am ...more
Nicole
Feb 12, 2010 Nicole rated it it was amazing
I have always loved Janette Oke's books. Have read all the Love Comes Softly series. I had no doubt that I would love this book, too. I read it in two days - it was that hard for me to put down. It certainly made you think about your relationships here on earth and with God. What I also enjoy about this book is that my grandaughters will be able to read it in a couple of years. There are certainly lessons to learn from it and I highly recommend it to those who are struggling through life - you w ...more
Heather
May 21, 2015 Heather rated it liked it
4/14/2012, hb: I enjoyed the characters in this book, but without getting spoilerish, I found the ending too easy. I like Janette Oke's writing, but unfortunately I am finding her endings unsatisfactory, which sadly makes reading her books unworthwhile in the end. :(

5/2/2015, hb: Forgot I'd read this before when I reserved it from the library. This book is okay, but not to my personal taste. I do like Joel's character, but find Kyle rather slow to embrace change.
Dee
Apr 15, 2013 Dee rated it it was amazing
A great story of the trials of a young wife during WWII when her husband is reported killed. The emotional difficulty of their lives and that of their children. How God enters the lives of both of their children Joel and Katie/Kyle and brings the whole family together. How God even helps K/K with her 'other mother' Abigail. Words of faith not exactly the way I would have said it, but definitely the way I feel it. Hard to believe I've owned this book nearly 14 years and just read it now.
Audrey Grant
Mar 24, 2012 Audrey Grant rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Janette Oke & Davis Bunn do it again! Whether writing a series or a stand alone book like this one, they always manage to nail it every time!
This book kept me captive to the last sentence even though I had read it a back when it first came out. It has stood the test of time and was as good the second time around!
Like an old friend. And so well worth the second read!! I highly recommend this book!
April Suter
Aug 27, 2011 April Suter rated it really liked it
Kyle has a distant mother, a powerful father, and a staff that are more like family than servants. She is wealthy but doesn't feel like she belongs.
Joel has parents that have a room with baby things in it and don't communicate to one another. He has new neighbors and learns about God and chooses to be closer to Him. The story is how Kyle and Joel's lives meet and how God's plan is revealed. Read Tomorrow's Dream for the conintued story.

251 pages
INGRID A. dAVIES
Apr 26, 2014 INGRID A. dAVIES rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read that reminds me to trust God in all life's circumstances.

I am alone who thinks there is always room for improvement so I gave it for stars. I hope the is another book in the works show I.f how the characters go and evolve. does Choul live or die and what happens to Ruthie?

Sandy Sandmeyer
Jun 14, 2011 Sandy Sandmeyer rated it it was amazing
The second book collaboration between Oke and Bunn. This book stands alone from the 1st one. The story of a young couple, a baby given up for adoption, and the lives affected by that decision. The story includes a couple of lovely families and likeable characters. A very easy read finished in one day.
Nori
Feb 27, 2009 Nori rated it it was amazing
I like Janette Oke, her novels are "safe", easy, light, and always a happy ending even if sometimes predictable. But I LOVE her novels when she coauthors with T. Davis Bunn. Then they are not as predictable, better writing and definitely not boring, even though they are still safe, light and happy ending.
Joy C.
Apr 09, 2014 Joy C. rated it really liked it
Lord willing, I shall write up a proper review one of these less busy days... meanwhile I will say I truly loved this small novel, and especially dear young Joel endeared himself to me best of all and his parents and friend's family plots made this novel really special. I love it when Bunn and One write books together!!
Samantha
Jul 02, 2012 Samantha rated it it was ok
I have read and enjoyed books by Janette Oke before, but not this one. I didn't like the way the story was split between the two families. I didn't like the ending which felt too abrupt, and I felt like I was being preached at. I do not mind a story that has religious undertones, but these ones were too blatant and took away from the story.
ANDREW L SHOEMAKER
Gives the opportunity for others to learn about Jesus and how to relate to others.

janette writes about life as it really is, but also includes our Saviour in the books she writes. She also has the ability to keep you on the edge of your seat until the conclusion of the book.
Anne Strehlow
Aug 03, 2015 Anne Strehlow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

Great story with Christian values intertwined with history and love. The characters are alive with emotions. You are taken to two different worlds and then see them combine beautifully.
Allan67
Sep 07, 2014 Allan67 rated it liked it
My wife and I have just finished this book. It has an interesting theme of an adopted sister living in a rich home and a poor brother living his life. The book left us wondering what happened to Joel.
Terri
Jul 25, 2016 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
Definitely fits the theme of all Oke books by showing how through trial one can come to faith. However since it is cowritten with T. Davis Bunn, the writing style is just a bit different. Unlike most Oke books, this one is not set in pioneer times, but instead in post WWII America.
Becky
Oct 18, 2012 Becky rated it really liked it
The premise was unconvincing, as regardless of whether you want to be a burden to your mother in law or not, giving up your child is he last resort. On that note however, I did enjoy the plot and thought the story has good qualities, but like all of her books, the ending is never satisfying
Leah
The one storyline seemed really exhilarated while the other passed through the characters years extremely slow. I felt the characters were two dimensional and they weren't fleshed out. I feel it had too many perspectives and story lines that didn't mesh well.
Shiloh
Jan 06, 2015 Shiloh added it
Did some speed reading on this book. Compared to Oke's other writings-- I did not find this book to flow very well. It's rather a depressing story and only picks up towards the end. I liked how the families became Christians in the end.
Tina
Jun 27, 2015 Tina rated it it was amazing
I do not usually read books from the 1950's period; however I thought the book was incredibly good. I felt the story ended too soon and could have continued into another saga. I loved the spiritual depth of the story.
Rebecca Rash
Jun 04, 2013 Rebecca Rash rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. There was a variety of characters, and they all seemed well developed. I finally liked the love interest of the main one. Usually Janette's men are a bit - lacking a back bone? - in many of her books, but Kenneth is a favorite here. Good read!
Anne Miller-schlenk
Jul 20, 2015 Anne Miller-schlenk rated it it was amazing
Loved seeing people inpacted positively by the Christians in their lives and learning to trust Christ to guide their lives, no matter where they may be lead.
Dawn
Jul 06, 2015 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys Christian Fiction
Recommended to Dawn by: I enjoy reading Janette Oke's books.
I love to read Janette Oke's books. She writes very good Christian Fiction. It was awhile ago that I read this, but I remember that I really enjoyed it.
  • Toward the Sunrise (Daughters of Fortune, #3)
  • The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith, #3)
  • Daughter of Grace (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #2)
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • The Reluctant Bridegroom: 1838 (The House of Winslow #7)
  • Sanctuary
  • The Night Angel (Heirs of Acadia, #4)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...

Kyle Adams (2 books)