Start by marking “When Hope Springs New (Canadian West #4)” as Want to Read:
When Hope Springs New (Canadian West #4)
Preview

When Hope Springs New (Canadian West #4)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  2,723 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Leaving behind their dear friends in Beaver Creek, Elizabeth and Wynn take over an even more primitive RCMP outpost in the Canadian Northwest. Elizabeth finds herself totally isolated when the local Indian women are afraid to even communicate with her. The Delaneys thought they had already faced the most crushing disappointment of their lives when they saw little Sammy dis ...more
Published February 1st 2005 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about When Hope Springs New, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Hope Springs New

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversAn Echo in the Darkness by Francine RiversAs Sure as the Dawn by Francine RiversThe Silent Governess by Julie Klassen
Best Christian Historical Fiction
317th out of 877 books — 936 voters
When Hope Springs New by Janette OkeWhen Comes the Spring by Janette OkeSpring's Gentle Promise by Janette OkeSpring Fling by Julia KentSpring Affair by B.G. Thomas
Spring Romance
1st out of 24 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Melissa
This was a lovely continuation of Oke's Canadian West series. It starts perhaps a few days/weeks off from the last book.

Elizabeth and Wynn are traveling even further North to a more remote village. When they reach there Elizabeth is dismayed to find that no one will talk to her and hardly look at her. Despite her best efforts to find friends, she cannot. The house they live in is also little more than a shack.

She spends the first Autumn, Winter, and most of Spring by herself. Then, one day while
Becky
I have enjoyed revisiting the first four books in the Canadian West series. These four books star Elizabeth and Wynn. One thing I've been doing is imagining Elizabeth and Wynn on an episode of House Hunters. I've been thinking about what Elizabeth's wishlist for a house would look like before and after. What would it have been like before marriage, before traveling with her husband to Beaver Creek and serving several years, and, what it would have looked like AFTER they left Beaver Creek. I have ...more
Gale
“On the Move—Trusting In God’s Plan”

In this, the 4th and last in Oke’s Canadian West series Elizabeth and her beloved RC Mountie husband, Wynn, have left behind their first posting in the rugged northwestern territory of Canada--to trek to an even more remote village called Smoke Lake. The physical dereliction of their new “house” and the shabby cabins that are homes to the Native Americans prove a pessimistic introduction to her struggle for acceptance on the part of the Indians. The surly tr
Jennifer Hill
To me this book in the series is heavier on the religion than the other 3, so I could do without that part. I didn't start reading it because it was a religious series, I started because the first book sounded intriguing in all other aspects of its story. This book was the same. I totally loved the story she told, which is good with or without the religious parts. I am going to finish reading the series to find out what happens with Elizabeth and Wynn!
Ngdecker
I had thought I might be getting tired of reading the same things about Elizabeth, this time in a different village. But this book really caught my interest with the unfriendliness of the Indians, the isolation and loneliness of Elizabeth, the drought and the fire! The way things changed for her was quite remarkable! And then it was interesting to see Wynn and Elizabeth have to move again - but this time back to a more civilized village. Here they have to readapt to ways they had left behind. I ...more
Sarah Richards
Once again, this books hits a personal note. Although, I think it is one many of us can relate to. The feeling like you finally belong in a community. You've made friends, found your way around the area, started mastering the culture and then you move again. This time it is harder to break down those barriers. This is a theme I write about in the Woodmere Trilogy ( Left on the Edge (Woodmere, #1) by Sarah Richards).

In When Hope Springs New, the turning point occurs when natural disaster forces acceptance. When I was in high school, our town wa
Annalisa
Abby
WIIA: No a true frontier woman, E. handles her hardest village yet. Can she help the people who don't even wish to talk to her?

Pros: This was a sweet conclusion, I enjoyed it.

Cons: A tad sad.

Iffy: She still wants a child. The Natives have more than one wife, and there is talks of them wanting to take a woman as another wife. Ones E. thinks are too young to marry. E. and W. have a good relationship and show it frequently, sweetly not iffy. :)
Allan67
Another book read to the wife as something that we can do together. She seemed to enjoy this book more than the previous. Elizabeth and Wynn are re-assigned to a more civilized post after a forest fire destroys the settlement. BTW, Elizabeth was a heroine during the fire saving the inhabitants of the settlement while Wynn was away on a patrol. As the book ends, they are taking active positions in the local church and it appears, in addition, that they will be gaining another foster child.
Kristi
I didn't really care very much for the new Indian village, and i care even less about the small town Elizabeth and Dee are living in now. Yet another adopted child? Guess what, i don't really care about him, either. I am now bored with this series. Elizabeth is too bossy again and i feel like Dee is more and more of a mystery, i.e. next to no character development. What happened to all the possibility this series had? Now it's just preachy, rushed, and too busy to be enjoyed.
AJ
Again, very disappointed in the sequels after loving the first one. This one would've been four stars, had the next book been another story about Elizabeth and Wynn. But knowing that the remaining two books in this series are about completely different characters, that this was the end of the Delaneys' story, this ending was very dissatisfying.
Kimmie
Someone once told me that I shouldn't fill my time reading fiction books. I am very glad I didn't listen. While it is fiction, these books still contain truth and very valuable lessons of life and love. Janette Oke is one of my favorite authors. Her books touch my heart. Her writings bring me into the lives of the people she is writing about and I want to "know" them.
Tiffany
This is the last Janette Oke book that I will be purchasing/reading. It's my own fault because she is known as a Christian novelist but the religion was finally just laid on a little too thick for me in this novel. I read the previous 3 in this series and was able to gloss over the religion and enjoy the historical romance story.
Connie
I like the author and her Canadian West series, but was disappointed with the way book #4 ended. If this is the final book with these characters, the ending really seems unfinished. It was like she just stopped writing on the last page without a resolution. Weird.
Judy
This is another wonderful installment in Oke's inspiring Canadian West series. Wynn Delaney, a Canadian Mountie, and his wife Elizabeth have been assigned to a new post in an even more remote area of the Canadian northwest. They are living in an Indian village in the early part of the 20th century and there aren't any other white people around. It is a very lonely time for Elizabeth.
Krissie
Lynda
I thought this was the best book of the series so far. Elizabeth and Wynn are now stationed in a remote village where the Native American women and children do not trust or welcome them. Elizabeth struggles to make a home for herself and Wynn in a tiny cabin that also serves as the office. Most of their belongings remain packed on a wagon covered with a canvas tarp outside their home. It is a far cry from their last posting where they left many friends and a comfortable three room cabin. Elizabe ...more
Lauren
Well I finally finished the series before hallmark turned it into a tv show. It didn't end like I thought it would. For that I was pleased that it wasn't a predictable ending. Mum looking to compare the new tv show and the books. I know "Love Comes Softly" is very different then the books. I almost enjoyed the movie more because I saw the movie before I read the books. This time the case could be different I will miss reading about Elizabeth and Wynn. Hopefully the show does them justice!
Eloise
I liked the change in the series as I found it to be getting dull with just Elizabeth and Wynn. I enjoyed seeing their children in this time period and setting also.
Marion Hewines
Excellent

Enjoyed this even more. .I love the way Beth always relies on her faith and her God to get her through the difficult times.
Sandra
This is the last book in one of my favorite adult series. But wait....news flash! She's writing another one for the Canadian West series! Thank you Janette!
Beverly
Continue to enjoy the series although the religion was more pronounced. Would have like it to continue into another book.
Heidi
I thought this book was better than the last one! I can't wait to see what happens to them in the next book!
Rhonda
I really enjoyed this book at times and then I would hate it. I was a bit disappointed (especially having now read #5 with the huge time lapse) of the "outcome" of Elizabeth's woes with the child bearing. It seems such a let down to make them have so much love, and talk of faith and hope to make them suffer so much loss. At times I wanted to throw my kindle (ok not seriously cause it's a brand new one- but you know...) I would have chosen a different a different outcome for them though I would i ...more
More fun adventures in the Canadian wilderness.
Jacqueline
Huh. I hadn't realised that this was the last book in the series with this main character until I looked up the next book. I couldn't tell just from the story.
Micaiah K.
Another good addition to The Canadian West series!
Marina
this was really good!!!!
Sara
A nice ending to the Canadian West Series. While it's not the happily ever after I was expecting, I was satisfied with how their lives turned out.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 21, 2014 11:41AM
  • Sabrina (Big Sky Dreams, #2)
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • Opal (Dakotah Treasures, #3)
  • The Coming Storm (Heirs of Montana, #2)
  • Kingscote (Heart of India #3)
  • A Hope Beyond (Ribbons of Steel, #2)
  • The Gentle Rebel: 1775 (The House of Winslow)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...

Canadian West (6 books)
  • When Calls the Heart (Canadian West, #1)
  • When Comes the Spring (Canadian West #2)
  • When Breaks the Dawn (Canadian West #3)
  • Beyond the Gathering Storm (Canadian West #5)
  • When Tomorrow Comes (Canadian West #6)
Love Comes Softly (Love Comes Softly, #1) When Calls the Heart (Canadian West, #1) Love's Enduring Promise (Love Comes Softly #2) Love's Long Journey (Love Comes Softly #3) Love's Abiding Joy