Start by marking “This Mitchell and Webb Book” as Want to Read:
This Mitchell and Webb Book

This Mitchell and Webb Book

Dive into the bizarre yet strangely familiar world of Mitchell and Webb – the wittiest men on television, or anywhere else.

From the two finest comedians of their generation comes the ultimate Christmas comedy book – lavishly illustrated in colour, containing all sorts of outrageous stuff that will have you laughing into the spring and beyond.

David Mitchell and Robert Webb
Published September 3rd 2009 by Fourth Estate

Ashish
Jan 30, 2017 Ashish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: purchased
Written by my favourite comic due of ''Peep Show'' Mitchell and Webb take the sketch comedy route for this book. I liked the straight shooting text-based parts better than the more outrageous ones, which tended to be borderline shock humour which these guys don't need to resort to make us laugh.
Lea
Jan 21, 2015 Lea rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-english
I am a fan of David Mitchell's comedy and yet whenever he says something that sounds remotefully sincere I am reminded that I find him really unlikable. This book was such a reminder. As for the rest of the book: I was expecting more. There are a few laughs here and there but it does seem a bit like a collection of things that didn't work for tv - so why not recycle them somewhere else?
I don't mean too sound too harsh, if you're a fan of that michell and webb look, you'll probably be amused by
Dane Cobain
Mar 25, 2016 Dane Cobain rated it really liked it
You know Mitchell and Webb, right – the two comedians who starred in Peep Show and the ‘I’m a PC/I’m a Mac‘ adverts? Okay, okay, I know – they’ve done loads more than that, but that’s as good a place as any to start.

Here, the two men turn their pens away from writing comedy sketches and try their hands at writing a full-length book, not necessarily alternating but taking it in turns to switch around every now and then and assume the role of the sole writer. I think most people have a favourite,
Roxanne
Sep 01, 2009 Roxanne rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2009
I would say only buy this book if you really like Mitchell and Webb, don't get if you just like them in Peep show and not their sketch shows.

Basically the book is just full of 'that mitchell and webb look' so if you don't watch the show, probably won't get most of the jokes.

The book itself is very hit and miss, and i think they saw the mighty boosh book and just copied it really, they even do a piss take out of the mighty boosh book, and the mighty boosh book wasn't that good to copy from so i
Jan 26, 2013 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the television/radio series
I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who hasn't already experienced Mitchell and Webb's sketch comedy. Whether it was their radio show or either of their television shows, this is very much the same kind of humour for most of the book. I found it entertaining and laughed out loud a couple of times, but curiously it isn't the sketch-style comedy that made me giggle most (in as much as a book can have sketch-style comedy). The real jewel of the piece is the ranty articles peppered throughout the bo ...more
Sam Pryce
Apr 25, 2010 Sam Pryce rated it it was amazing
I could not stop laughing at this book. David Mitchell and Robert Webb are national treasures and are two of the funniest people ever to have set foot on this planet. They're a legendary comedy duo and this book just makes them even better. Basically, it's "That Mitchell and Webb Look" in book form (Hense The Title). Every page, every line, every word is funny. (Well, maybe not every word but you catch my drift.) I STRONGLY recommend this book as it is a celebration of Mitchell and Webb's wit an ...more
Bukk
May 16, 2014 Bukk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If That Mitchell and Webb Look was turned into a book, this would be it. This IS it, really. Full of zingers and wit and zappers and silliness. It requires a good bit of familiarity with the show if one wishes to not be lost in some of the more specific regions of this here work of laughery. Hit and miss at times, but entertaining through and through. And it's interactive! Non-fans of the show can still laugh at it if they want to. GOOD WORK FROM M & W.
Angela Conley
May 06, 2012 Angela Conley rated it really liked it
It's all fun. There is quite a bit of culturally centered material which makes me wish I knew more about stuff that's happened in the UK in the past ten years. However, there is also a lot of universally funny material that makes the whole thing worthwhile. I am especially taken by the How To Cope articles. There's dark humor, toilet humor, punny homor and everything else on the spectrum. In short, there's something for everyone.
Nickolas
Dec 29, 2010 Nickolas rated it really liked it
"This book comes the size of a school text book and proceeds to school you in funny." That would be my cheesy quote on the back cover if I was famous. But seriously, the book is great. These guys are great. I laughed out loud time and time again with this one. I did have to google countlessly to look up what obscure UK TV or political personality they were referring to a lot of the time. Still, worth every penny.
Simon
Nov 10, 2015 Simon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Picked it up cheap in a charity shop and still feel robbed. Apart from a couple of columns written by Mitchell there's almost nothing here that even raised a smile. Page after page of unfunny randomness and non-jokes stretched to breaking point. None of the wit of satirical bite of the TV show. Avoid.
William Clemens
Jan 03, 2014 William Clemens rated it really liked it
I can definitely say this is the best book I have read this year. Also the first. And the only so far. Still, it's great if you like Mitchell and Webb.

I will admit, this is a bit more topical and somewhat more UK centric so there were things I didn't entirely understand. Overall though it runs in the same vein as the pair's comedy and I liked it a lot.
Tara Calaby
Dec 30, 2011 Tara Calaby rated it really liked it
Shelves: britcom, tv-tie-in, humour, own
Likeable tie-in to That Mitchell & Webb Look, but there's nothing particularly outstanding here, so it doesn't have the re-readability that so many of my favourite Britcom tie-ins can boast. (I don't want to THINK about how many times I've re-read the Smith & Jones books!) Very visual and nicely designed, it reads a lot more quickly than the tome-like size would suggests.
Stefanie
Aug 23, 2011 Stefanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-brits
I love comedy books, and Mitchell and Webb are one of my favorite duos. My favorite segments are probably the ranty essays, because both of them are fantastic and you can hear each of their voices perfectly in them (or is that just me? because i'm a superfan?), and also the mundane quotes of the great. Lovely stuff.
Hannah Reed
I have a love-hate relationship with this book. I love the games pages, and David Mitchell's rants about coffee and what-not, but I think a lot of the jokes would have been better presented on screen rather than paper. I love Mitchell and Webb's work though, and it is fun to flick through as long as you flick onto the right page.
Jan 16, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
I love Mitchell and Webb. I'm American so a lot of the pop culture references were lost on me. I enjoyed the book anyway though. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it 100 times more if I got the references but even without the references a lot of it was funny.
Louise
Jan 08, 2012 Louise rated it really liked it
Definitely no where near as good as the show, or actors themselves but still an OK book. A bit hit and miss- some of it made me titter, some didn't make me laugh at all. The essay like pieces were the best bits and entertained me.
Marcus Gipps
Aug 28, 2010 Marcus Gipps rated it liked it
The Mitchell & Webb Book is quite fun - there's obviously been some level of effort put in to it, but in the end it is one of those overpriced Xmas Hardbacks.
Bill
Jan 15, 2010 Bill rated it liked it
Like the show it is a bit hit and miss, but what hits really hits the target. Reassuring that they're still funny years after their breakthrough stuff
Seb
Jul 02, 2014 Seb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Very mixed - not every idea translates well to the pages. A few moments of genius, but also some bits that are rather overworked and spread a little thin.
Jill
Jill rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2011
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2012
sarcastronaut
sarcastronaut rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2014
John rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2011
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2014
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2012
Monkfeesh
Monkfeesh rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2014
Damian
Damian rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2014
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2013
Bonginkosi
Bonginkosi rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Combine these books 3 18 Jan 26, 2013 11:05PM
Goodreads Librari...: Create second edition of book with different cover? 2 23 Jan 26, 2013 10:33PM
  • A Bit More Fry & Laurie
  • The 100 Most Pointless Things in the World
  • Back Story
  • The Mighty Book of Boosh
  • The Brand New Monty Python Papperbok
  • Talking Cock
  • Bachelor Boys: The Young Ones Book
  • The Best Book of Useless Information Ever: A Few Thousand Other Things You Probably Don't Need to Know (But Might as Well Find Out)
  • I Met the Walrus: How One Day with John Lennon Changed My Life Forever
  • The Hell of It All
  • It's Not Me, It's You
  • The Ralph Wiggum Book: Simpsons Library of Wisdom
  • The Gobbler
  • Absolutely Fabulous: The Complete Original Six Episodes
  • Too Much Information... or Can Everyone Just Shut Up for a Moment, Some of Us Are Trying to Think
  • The Homer Book (The Simpsons Library of Wisdom)
  • We're All Mad Here (Stockholm Syndrome, #3.5)
  • Secret London - an Unusual Guide