Version Control with Git

Version Control with Git

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Version Control with Git takes you step-by-step through ways to track, merge, and manage software projects, using this highly flexible, open source version control system.

Git permits virtually an infinite variety of methods for development and collaboration. Created by Linus Torvalds to manage development of the Linux kernel, it's become the principal tool for distributed...more
Published June 11th 2009 by O'Reilly Media (first published May 20th 2009)

Kevin
I recommend this book to anybody who has decided that Git is going to be their DVCS and intends to read the book sequentially, cover to cover. If you're still trying to decide between Mercurial, Bazaar and Git, this is probably a lot more information than you want or require. If you're looking for a quick reference, then the progressive structure may leave you scratching your head when jumping around topic areas.

Once you settle on Git, and want to invest the time to build up the conceptual frame...more
Jordan Howe
Very clearly written, but not for dummies, and not a cookbook. Great book for people who need know why Git works the way it does, in addition to learning commonly used commands. It has most everything you need to use Git effectively. As a bonus, there are plenty of diagrams explaining the underlying git architecture.
A. Jesse
git is the most powerful and conceptually elegant source code management system I've used. (Perhaps Mercurial rivals it? I haven't used Mercurial.) But it seems to be in a state of arrested development. Many commands commonly used in ordinary development are basically unimplemented, and have to be performed with a set of lower-level commands. For example, publishing a local branch so remote developers can use it, and then setting up the branch so the remote copy continues to get updates, is a ha...more
Kyle
This book starts off with the concepts needed to use the product, delves into deeper - more technical - topics and finishes with a look at GitHub. I found that it was a good resource for learning what I could do with Git without spending too much time on one topic. The authors plainly discuss the tool's limitations and how developers are working around them. My favourite parts were on the concept of the working directory and repository, and branching.

My one criticism is that I felt that there co...more
Rod Hilton
Version Control with Git is a fantastic book if you want to understand how Git is really working. This is important, because I don't know if anyone could ever really use Git without know how it's really working.

The book starts at the simplest possible place and shows examples of using Git, which become handy references for what you want to do with the system. But at each step of the way, it also explains what Git is doing under the hood, with diagrams, examples, and lengthy explanations. Sometim...more
Marshall
This book on the Git source repository system is probably one of the driest tech books I've ever read. It's filled with overly complex explanations of an already overly complex piece of software, which made it hard to tell the difference. Here's an example of the treats in store for you if you read it:

"Directly fetching and merging a branch with a complex history will yield a different history in the receiving repository than the history that results from a patching sequence. Remember, one of th...more
Mark Stahl
Great chapter 4, explaining how git actually works. But the rest is a bit of a mess. Lots of the later chapters describes how things are done without showing what commands actually do them. Which makes them pretty dull reading. Overall, a bit of a mess. But don't pass up chapter 4.
Kat
I wish this was a typographical error but it isn't: "Git manages change."
It doesn't do that. No language or framework does that.
"A monkey who uses Git can manage change" is more appropriate.

But there's good news! This is an excellent book anyone who cares about version control can read without regret.

I still encourage some people to read the less lengthier introductions as this is far from that.

Examples are OK but the hardly gave scenarios relevant for software development teams.
Kevin
I use this book as a reference, though I read the first version all the way through.

Disappointed that this version hasn't added any content on signing tags and why that should be done.

The expanded section on github is nice, but more info on other tools using git would be nice.

As a reference book it is great. The descriptions are detailed and efficient without sacrificing clarity. Git is a complex tool but this book is useful in understanding it.
Lisandro
very in-depth analysis of git. Cover a lot of ground. definitely worth a read.
Chris
I've been using git for about a year and still picked up some ideas from this book - for example, I had a pretty woeful understanding of how the index worked and this covered it well. What I like about it compared to many other references is that it dives into the core abstractions right away rather than focusing on the surface details of command syntax. I've recommended it to my team at work.
Chris Wood
This is one of the gems in the O'Reilly series. The authors do more than show you how to use the git commands; they explain how git is constructed. This means that you will not only get an understanding how to use git, you will also learn how git is set apart from other vcs offerings. I highly recommend this for folks who are trying to understand why everyone is excited about git.
Shaun
May 18, 2012 Shaun rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Developers
Shelves: technical
Great book to introduce and get in depth with git. Takes from from beginner to intermediate/advanced and lets' you start to consume other more dense git topics. Once you finish it give the 2-4 chapter a re-read since you'll be able to get those concepts better after you get the gestalt.
Jacobo
Este libro intenta explicar cómo funciona git por dentro en vez de simplemente enseñar a usarlo. Aunque empieza desde conceptos muy básicos, no es un libro para principiantes. Está muy bien, pero no me ha entusiasmado de todas formas, no me importaría no haberlo leído.
Pieter De Baets
Good technical description of the inner workings of git, a must if you really want to master git's advantages. The level of quality between chapters is quite varying, some of them really don't tell you much more than the man-page, albeit with good examples.
Lynn
I thought this book was very good, but I found it bounced from being too detailed and in the guts behind how Git works to being too simplistic in it's examples of how to use Git in practical terms.
Eddie
Too much information. But every other book on this brilliant, insane tool has far too little information.

All technical books sucks, but every technical book sucks in its own way. (Sorry Leo.)
Steven
It taught me what I needed to know, and the coverage was more than thorough. A bit worshipful, and took a bit too much delight in abstract and meta examples and clarity suffered for that.
Richard
Nice book.

Great reference for using Git but more importantly it enables you to work with the tools more efficiently as it explains how things work internally.
Nedyalko
Too verbose in some places. I feel like it needs more real-life examples. Overall more than a decent book on the topic.
Tamara Temple
This is a good book, but now I just go to the git-scm.com web site and read there when I want to find out something.
Bulmaro Herrera
Very very good about approaching a useful point, then going in depth for full explanation.
Mara
O'Reilly Media never fails to deliver- if you want to get Git- this is the way to go.
John
Introduces concepts, balances with step-by-step walk throughs. Very useful.
Alec Clews
Good book. Nice level of detail. Worth the money
Milad
Dec 11, 2011 Milad added it
I understand git in different ways !
Antidb
I need git internal more than use it.
Stephen
Feb 20, 2013 Stephen is currently reading it
on page 135
Tim Broder
very repetitive
Adam Chomicki
Adam Chomicki marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  • Pro Git
  • HTML5: Up and Running
  • Seven Languages in Seven Weeks
  • Mastering Regular Expressions
  • Metaprogramming Ruby
  • High Performance MySQL: Optimization, Backups, Replication, Load Balancing & More
  • Practical Vim: Edit Text at the Speed of Thought
  • MongoDB: The Definitive Guide
  • Programming Collective Intelligence: Building Smart Web 2.0 Applications
  • Even Faster Web Sites
  • REST in Practice: Hypermedia and Systems Architecture
  • Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Version Control with Git: Powerful tools and techniques for collaborative software development Version Control with Git: Powerful Tools and Techniques for Collaborative Software Development Kontrola Wersji Z Systemem Git. Narz?dzia I Techniki Programistow. Wydanie II Kontrola Wersji Z Systemem Git. Narz?dzia I Techniki Programistow. Wydanie II Kontrola Wersji Z Systemem Git. Narz?dzia I Techniki Programistow. Wydanie II