Start by marking “Things I Have to Tell You: Poems and Writings by Teenage Girls” as Want to Read:
Things I Have to Tell You: Poems and Writings by Teenage Girls

Things I Have to Tell You: Poems and Writings by Teenage Girls

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  35 reviews
The voices in this collection have so much to question, so much to grieve. They have so much to celebrate, so much to rage against. They're ready to speak up and begin the conversation -- with you and with the world.Accompanied by Nina Nickles's masterful photographs, which capture the moods and essence of adolescence, are more than 30 uncensored poems and essays by young ...more
Published May 1st 2001 by Turtleback Books

To ask other readers questions about Things I Have to Tell You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things I Have to Tell You

Poetry

Things I Have to Tell You: poems and writing by teenage girls edited by Betsy Franco with photographs by Nina Nickles is a collection of poetry written for and by teenage girls. The writings generally talk about the transition from girlhood to womanhood. They focus on body image, relationships, friendships, school, acceptance, etc. Some poems slide right by and some poems hit you directly in the face. One especially harrowing poem by a 15 year old girl talks about her love for

Kelsey Collins
Kelsey Collins
Franco, B. (2001). Things I have to tell you: Poems and writing by teenage girls. Somerville: Candlewick.
Genre: Poetry
Format: Print
Selection Process: Browsing “young adult poetry” selections from Amazon.com and reading previous reviews.

Author Betsy Franco gathers more than thirty poems by teenage girls and pairs them with black and white photographs. The poems have different subjects, but flow cohesively together to make up about teenage girls’ emotions. These girls express fears,
Dannielle
Dannielle Nebinski
Genre: Poetry

This is a powerful book of poetry written by very talented teenage writers. The book is a wonderful mixture of poetry and prose, about these teenage girls' fears, angst, dreams, and relationships. The black and white photographs of Nina Nickles placed throughout the book, compliment the poems in the best way imaginable.

Betsy Franco has done a wonderful job of compiling these wonderful poems along with the photographs to put together this wonderful book of poetry. I
Alyssa Peters
Alyssa Peters
Poetry
This book was very sad but truthful. Many of the poems were written by teenage girls about themselves. These girls have to deal with what people think about their looks, bodies, and sexuality. There are also pictures in the book. Some are of the young girls at school, in the street and in front of the mirror. The poems were peoms that the girls wrote to express their feelings and get the truth out about what goes on in their lives. I think this is a great book for young adults
Amber Wortz
Amber Wortz
Poetry

This book is a compilation of poems and prose written by teenage girls all over the world. The poems are about issues that the author believes are important for teenage girls to know about life that most people don't talk about openly.

These poems amazed me and I could not believe that the majority of them were written by teens. All of them were very powerful and though provoking. I also love the photography that accompanied the poems.
Alyssa
Alyssa Morres
Poetry

In this book it shows how much teenage girls actually go through at this time. Love, grief, happiness, self consciousness, all of these things are what are talked about in these poems written by actual teenage girls. It opens up a lot of questions and allows other teenage girls to see their not the only ones going through these things, others are to.
Samantha
I'm currently reading this book. I like this book because i can relate to this book so much and i have stories like some of these girls and it brings out some memories back. Some of these girls have it really rough and i thought i did. One of my favorite poems is called "Secrets." This book is mostly about girls going through pain and suffeing and some girls share some things they wouldn't say to people out loud. It's like they are writing poems like a diary.

"Secrets"

Do you know my secret,
Did i
May 06, 2012 Jeanine Allen added it
Shelves: poetry

Liz (Consumed by Books)
I picked this book up from the library one day, back when I was in high school, on a whim. I wound up being really surprised by how much I loved it. I can see where some adults might pass writing by high school women off as fluffy and unintelligent, yet this is absolutely not the case.

This book is wonderfully put together. One of my favorite aspects of it is actually the photography, because it’s of real girls. This is fitting because these are poems about topics which many teenager struggles wi
Ashlyn Phillips
I liked both of the books that she did because they were written by children with real problems and experiences and joys that everyone faces. I ink it was a great idea to put those poems into a book. I love expression through poem and I think that it probably meant a lot to the children that their lives through poverty were published. Great read and well done.
Jaclyn
I honestly enjoyed hearing you read poems from this book. I felt that I could relate to certain parts of these teenager girls' worries. It took me back a few years and made me smile. I wish I read this when I was a teenager! I think this is a great book to read for teens!
Kaija Caldwell
The novel, " Things I have to tell you," by Nina Nickles, is a book that consist of various poems written by teenage girls. These young ladies wrote poems that focus on the personal, physical, mental, and pyschological problems that they face everyday. I think the author's purpose of this book was to show that when you come across multiple obstacles in you life that may knock you down, you can always find the strength to get back up.

"I get called fat by the skinny everyday. I never reply to what
Mary Ann
The poems in this book spoke to me, spoke to the memory of being a teenager, brought me back to see the me that was then. This is a collection of poems written by girls age 12 - 18 about their lives, thoughts and feelings as they face their worlds.

an excerpt from

don't know why.
i want to ask
but am afraid of
Paul  Hankins
I was able to find this 2001 collection from Betsy Franco on the web. It came in nearly pristine condition and I am so pleased to add this collection of poems, solicited from young writers from across the country, thoughtfully pulled together by a super advocate of young adult literacy, Betsy Franco.

The verse here is all at once inspiring and heartbreaking. Honest--sometimes brutally so--to capture the voice of the "every" girl who might happen upon this collection and find their feelings or the
Mr.
A stunning collection of poems and short writings from teenage girls across the country. I found these pieces to represent Middle School students very well, and found that sharing them with my students was beneficial to the class. The girls in this collection have explored their own experiences and have expressed their emotional lives with clarity and courage. I would recommend this reading to anyone (not just female) who would like to discover more about going through difficulties and finding w ...more
TeenNonFiction Teton County Library
TCL Call #: YA 810.8 Things

D-2.5 stars

I'd probably give this more stars if I was still a teen, or angsty, or into prose.

It's not my favorite poetry, but it's written by teens, dealing with issues of teens (some painful, some trite). I can imagine the ocassional, and almost certainly girl (as all the poetry is written by teen girls), teen will identify or connect with some of the poetry in this compilation, but it will likely be a very specific group.
Sarah Kissel
Ooo this looks like a change-your-life-er. I love that the title is "Things I Need To Tell You" because sometimes we have so much on our minds and in our hearts that we just have to TELL someone, anyone! I totally understand that feeling, and I think that's why some girls get into trouble with gossip because of the basic "I need to TALK about it to UNDERSTAND it" instinct that we have. I know I feel that way. That's why praying out loud works so well.
Kira
Apr 30, 2008 Kira rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kira by: Nina Goldman
A friend of mine showed me this book last year, and although I remember reading a few of them, the one that really stuck out is called Apricot Bath. It's about a girl who wants to be able to sit naked in an apricot bubble bath with a guy and talk to him about politics and other serious things without being at all sexual. It's a pretty neat concept.
Pamela Voyles
I really enjoyed this collection of poems and writings written by girls twelve to eighteen. I believe girls will enjoy reading this collection. My favorite writing was a thank you a girl wrote to her great grandmother for raising her. It was heartfelt and beautiful. The writing gives a little insight to what girls are thinking about today.
Mary
The depth of feeling is amazing. The voices are from the heart. This book lets girls speak in a way I was never able to. All teens should find their voice in it like SPEAK. The stories contrast the black and white photos. It shouts Adolescence. It cuts across all cultures and ages to reflect on relationships.
Gabriela
I think many women can identify with these girls. At one point in our lives whether at a young or mature age we've felt like this. Even a grandmother can find value in this book when reading a poem about someone like her. We are able to see into the minds of teenagers and listen to their voices.
Emily Rittenberry
Wow! These poems were written by teenage girls. They are so powerful, and address many of the issues that teenage girls face today. I have always thought that poetry is a great form of expression. It was obvious that these girls felt every word that they wrote. I would recommend this book!
m_miriam
I'm fascinated by teenagers, they always felt so foreign to me, even when I was one. Even though our society tries to deny the realities of kids' lives, these youth document the struggles they go through and also show how resilient they are as individuals.
Stephany
I love books like this because they show me I'm not the only one . I love being able to relate to others who share my feelings, and that what this book allowed me to do.
Anita P. Perez
#LS585 Good poetry book....Reading poetry makes me read out of my comfort zone! I think many teenage girls can see themselves in some of the poems.
Kelly
I enjoyed this book. I would definetly recommend this to young women. I could see exactly what they were talking about in their writing.
Reading
Not really my thing -- wanted to read more from empowered young women, not about all the problems & misfortunate situations.
Eileen 8e
May 14, 2008 Eileen 8e rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any girl
Recommended to Eileen by: Mrs.Miller
I like it this book is good for girl with low self esteem and need to get there self esteem higher but it not low
Things I Have to Tell You: Poems and Writing by Teenage Girls (Betsy Franco Young Adult) by Betsy Franco (2001)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Tending to Grace
  • Athletic Shorts: Six Short Stories
  • Amazing Faces
  • Girl Meets Boy: Because There Are Two Sides to Every Story
Betsy Franco has published more than eighty books, including three previous anthologies. She lives in Palo Alto, California.
More about Betsy Franco...
You Hear Me?: Poems and Writing by Teenage Boys Birdsongs Bees, Snails, & Peacock Tails: Patterns & Shapes . . . Naturally Zero Is The Leaves On The Tree A Dazzling Display of Dogs