Start by marking “The Canadian West Saga (Canadian West #1-4)” as Want to Read:
The Canadian West Saga (Canadian West #1-4)

The Canadian West Saga (Canadian West #1-4)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  1,121 ratings  ·  49 reviews
A collection of four novels includes When Calls the Heart, When Comes the Spring, When Breaks the Dawn, and When Hope Springs New and portrays hardships and joys of life and love on the Canadian prairie.
Published April 1st 1995 by Inspirational Pr (first published June 15th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Canadian West Saga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Canadian West Saga

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversAn Echo in the Darkness by Francine RiversAs Sure as the Dawn by Francine RiversA Bride Most Begrudging by Deeanne Gist
Christian Historical Romance Favorites
254th out of 445 books — 390 voters
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Shipping News by Annie ProulxThe Blind Assassin by Margaret AtwoodAlias Grace by Margaret AtwoodLife of Pi by Yann Martel
Oh, Canada!
158th out of 571 books — 248 voters

More lists with this book...

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick
May 08, 2014 UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of Christian Historical Romance.
Janette Oke has done extensive research to make sure that her stories are historically accurate in the traditions of the times as well as locations and living conditions. She's a great author whose easy to read stories teach lessons, give hope and show the struggles and joys of the early pioneer men and women. While these stories are definitely Christian based, I never find them to be blatantly "preachy." I love that Oke's characters don't just talk the walk, they walk the walk and share their f ...more
I am reading this series for the 3rd time in a year. I can't get enough of Elizabeth and Wynn. I love the writing style of the author and the Christian romance and life that the characters live out. Very inspiring to me. I have read the reviews and the first few pages of Book #5 in the series, and am greatly disappointed to learn that the story does not pick up where Book #4 left of and that there is an approximate 20year gap in the stories, and that Elizabeth and Wynn are not the primary charac ...more
This unassuming and becoming book about an adventure west for a young Canadian women in 1910 & the journey she experiences, the shared trials through faith and prayer were inspirational & heart warmer.
Some may think this a corny couple of books, perhaps I even thought it might be corny, but it has truly been a joy. I smiled at her mishaps and trivial trials in the first book.
The first & second books has me rejoicing in her fetes & independence. The third & fourth books had
I read these books first as a young woman and have re-read them repeatedly. A heartwarming story set in western canada, the characters encounter joy and trial. Wholesome. Good. Encouraging.
Sometimes, I need to read a nice sweet simple book. These books were that....
A wonderful series of the pioneer days when life was simple and people were grateful, loving and caring for one another. Though they endured hardships they kept their faith.

"When Calls the Heart" Elizabeth, a single refined school teacher from the east coast travels to the west to teach. She is faced with many trials and hardships but finds joy in working with the children. She also finds love with a Royal Canadian Mountie something that she never expected or wanted to happen.

"When Comes the Spr
This book was a good book. once I started the series I had to check some of them out from my local library.Some I found at a local bookstore. once I started reading the books I could not put them down. This writer soon became one of my favorites.
This is a warm hearted story of Elizabeth, a young woman who is sent into a rural area of Canada to teach in a one-room school house. Her courage and faith are admirable as she faces the challenges of adapting from city life to country living. In this setting she meets Wynn, a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. The remaining books in the series tell the story of their lives in the wilderness area of North West Canada where Wynn is assigned. Elizabeth comes to love the native people of ...more
Leslie Olsen
Good wholesome read. Makes you take a look at all of the luxuries we take for granted.
I read these quite a few years ago, but really loved the characters. I was particularly touched by the main character Elizabeth and her inability to have children. My cousin was struggling with the same thing and later I did too, and I found reading the character's struggle made me more empathetic to others and better equipped to face my own.
Not too religious, Oke paints a compelling picture of the rough Canadian west.
I first read this saga when I was probably about 12 or 13. It was definitely worth the re-read. It is amazing how different life is today. I'm so grateful for bug repellent, heat, indoor plumbing, and air conditioning!!! Again another great story by Jannette Oke with great lessons and marriage relationships.
This was a really good book if you like romance. The beginning of the first book seems boring (When calls the heart) but when you get near the end it gets good. This is a story about a schoolteacher coming from the East and moving into the west to teach. Then she falls in love......
Same as the 'Love Comes Softly' Series: This series by Janette Oak are some that I read as a teenager, and I couldn't put them down - fantastic reads for young girls. Great stories about family and adversity and love, strong female characters, and positive values and morals.
Mary Chambers
This is my top favorite Christian Historical Fiction Series. I really enjoy reading about young women going to be teachers in the frontier. Then years after I read this series, I lived in the Edmonton area in Alberta, where part of the series took place.
These books are wonderful - I've read them several times. A woman goes to the Canadian wilderness in the early 1900's, if I remember right. She marries a Mountie, and these books detail their lives in the wilderness. Love them!
How rough life was on the frontiers. Of all the Janette Oke books I've read, these were most inspiring I think because of the starkness of the Canadian wilderness, the faith of the characters, the multicultural themes...
I have read all three of these books and reading the fourth book. I gave this book 4 stars because these books are perfect if you liked the Laura Ingalls books. I defiantly would recommended these books to anyone old and young.
1st book was great...2nd was good, 3rd was dragging and same for the 4th. I typically like to read these "fluff" type books in between what ever I am reading, but I only finished the series to say I did.
This was a series I got into when I was in Junior High. I really liked the love story back then. Now...well, let's just say that I've moved on. Still, it was enjoyable while it lasted.
Feb 26, 2008 Melissa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Melissa by: Lori Livingston
I loved this whole saga about the Canadian West in the frontier days. Janette Oke is a christian writer. Her characters are good women who want to share their love of Christ with others.
I know its cheesy, but I love these books. I picture myself as Elizabeth on the frontier curing meat and canning jam, then I put the book down and go to Starbucks. Warm and fuzzy read!
Loved this series! Again, these are books I read in highschool... however great reads! I enjoyed this series better than the "Loves Comes Softly" series.
I really loved this series just as much the love comes softly series. She made the famlaies real and made you feel as if you knew them. I love her books.
Bought this in an op shop, didn't really like it , certainly not my usual read but couldn't get to the library, abit of a yawn really
I really liked this series. The setting was beautiful. I just loved her description of the mountains, and their love story.
Not quite typical Janette Oke book, but still a decent read. It feels as though there should be another book tho'...
Read this series when I was a teen and loved them. Simple plot lines, kinda predictable, but nice comfort reading.
Steph Ross
The series of books follows the life of a Canadian Mountie and his wife through the hardships and joys of life.
I have read these books twice. A simple love story set in the Canadian Rockies. Good for young and old.
This is a really good book series, and it's about a great girl, named Elizabeth. Definitely recommended!
  • The Fields of Glory (Wakefield Dynasty #4)
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • To Know Her by Name (Rocky Mountain Memories, #3)
  • A City Not Forsaken (Cheney Duvall, M.D. Series #3)
  • Say to This Mountain (Shiloh Legacy #3)
  • More Than a Dream (Return to Red River, #3)
  • The Stonewycke Trilogy (Stonewycke, #1-3)
  • The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith, #3)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...

Canadian West (6 books)
  • When Calls the Heart (Canadian West, #1)
  • When Comes the Spring (Canadian West #2)
  • When Breaks the Dawn (Canadian West #3)
  • When Hope Springs New (Canadian West #4)
  • Beyond the Gathering Storm (Canadian West #5)
  • When Tomorrow Comes (Canadian West #6)