Start by marking “Faith Like Potatoes: The Story of a Farmer Who Risked Everything for God” as Want to Read:
Faith Like Potatoes: The Story of a Farmer Who Risked Everything for God

Faith Like Potatoes: The Story of a Farmer Who Risked Everything for God

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  228 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Angus Buchan is a straight-talking South African farmer of Scottish extraction. His abrupt conversion startled the friends of this explosive, hard-drinking man. Angus's bold faith has carried him through droughts, family tragedies, and financial crisis. He has seen wonderful miracles of provision and healing. In obedience to God's call he started preaching, which led into ...more
Published May 1st 2009 by Monarch Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Faith Like Potatoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faith Like Potatoes

Dean Summers
Feb 19, 2011 Dean Summers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
When I ordered the DVD, all I knew was that it was of a story set in South Africa. My wife Jan and I had served a one-year tour of duty in South Africa, July 2003 to July 2004. We were helping out at a training center for Christian pastors, I as a teacher, Jan as an administrative assistant, the two of us together as student care coordinators.

The film turned out to be the true story of a South African farmer and evangelist. His name is Angus Buchan. I had not heard of him, but I was delighted to
Dianne
Apr 19, 2013 Dianne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I didn't know until after reading this book that there is controversy surrounding it, the movie based on it, and Buchan's ministry, "Shalom Ministries". I had a few qualms while I was reading it, and I still have them, but I'm not sure I would write the whole thing off as some web sources are suggesting.

Angus Buchan grew up in South Africa where his ministry is based but has some Scottish ancestry - hence the name "Angus" I gather. This book is the story of his growing up, establishing a farm, h
Shauri
Oct 03, 2009 Shauri rated it it was amazing
I watched the movie, and was so amazed that I ordered the book. Angus Buchan is now one of my heroes! He lives BY faith...which is my desire to do. The work he is doing in South Africa is truly inspiring. I'm sure that I will read this again many times...if that tells you anything. Reading his experiences and perspectives, including the conversations he has with God, felt like I was shadowing someone of great faith...and hopefully having a bit of his perspective and way of relating with Deity ru ...more
Sue
I saw the movie a couple years ago and decided to read the book. Why is it that book and movie pairings often seem to be flat? Loved, loved, loved the movie. Enjoyed the book but felt as if it was missing something. Interesting thing: the book starts with the scene which is the climax of the movie. I guess I thought that the book would come back around to that, but it didn't. It did, however, fill in information about how he came to the Lord, his early faith walk and the expansion of the minist ...more
Damos
Sep 23, 2013 Damos rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book. An absolute testament of faith. Put your faith in the Lord and start taking steps. This book shows the importance of doing what we can do in the faith that God is leading us to wherever it is He wants us to go. I can't get over the faith!

So many examples of 'coincidence' & crazy stuff & unbelievable things happening. I guess you can live in the hope of that 'lucky-ness' or you can live in the faith of Jesus & see the miracles God performs each day. It's a matter of
Joan Arning
Jan 06, 2016 Joan Arning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing story of a man who decided to trust God. The book is well written and keeps your attention. Your faith will grow as you read of this farmer who turned completely to God.
Steve Best
Mar 09, 2013 Steve Best rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll admit I wasn't exactly thrilled at the thought of my life group reading a book about potatoes, but fair play to Angus Buchan, it is an engaging and engrossing book, which I read in virtually one sitting.

An interesting and thought provoking story of obedience to God's calling, although I was a bit put out that things seem to have gone RELATIVELY smoothly for Angus. Sure there were setbacks, but over the course of the story, not that many. Of course, that's not Angus' fault, but it just made
Ysa
Aug 30, 2013 Ysa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this movie! My only problem was how difficult it was to understand whatever the actors were saying. Now, that may be and is probably true to life, but I would have liked it if I could tell what was going on better.
There was one scene that we skipped because we had been forewarned about an accident that was "very graphic", so I don't know what that is like.....
And in the start, they showed the main character being very violent and easily angered. I know that was because they wanted to s
Deo Sinaga
Jan 19, 2015 Deo Sinaga rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the most amazing book I have ever read! I really like its story> :D
Melanie Raye
good inspiring book!
Melissa
Jul 08, 2011 Melissa rated it it was amazing
This is a straightforward book. If you are looking for literature – don’t read it. If you are looking for profound intellectualism or deep theology - don’t read it. If you are looking for a powerful testimony of God and what he can do in a surrendered life, you will find Faith Like Potatoes powerful, compelling, and perhaps even life changing.
Michelle
Not very well written, more of a rambling conversational style, but you can't help but like the author anyway! It is good to think about various people living out their faith in different ways around the world, and I had never heard from a white farmer in Africa before, so I am glad I read the book for that reason.
Rebecca Rash
Aug 31, 2013 Rebecca Rash rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My siblings have been begging to watch this movie again. A great story of faith! I would recommend no one under ten (and a mature ten year old) watches this movie, as there is some scenes that might disturb young ones. But for the rest of you, sit back, listen and learn - and don't forget to bring a Kleenex or ten.
Leanie
Oct 15, 2010 Leanie rated it really liked it
It a very good read indeed - so inspirong! I've seen the movie a long time ago, but i've forgotten so much of it, but the book edition to the film was really an eye-opener for me.

In the book some really good questions came to my attention - i think that i will have to put some time aside and to reflect upon that.
Marilou Go
Apr 07, 2012 Marilou Go rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: godly
I love this story on how God changes Angus Buchan's life.
An how HE works with our faith.
I feel really moved on how HE sends rain to the farmers even though it's not seasonal.
And how HE send the African girl back to life.
We really should put our trusts and faith on God.
Sue
Nov 18, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

very easy to read, the testemony of one man and his family and how God can call in this case a farmer, but in fact an illustration of how God can use any one who has a relationship with him. aAngus bucham a man with a great ministry a great and inspiring read.
Larisha
Oct 04, 2010 Larisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will inspire and challenge you to experience God in your every-day life!!

It's a story of the Goodness and Love of God and how by grace the Spirit of God can change us into intsruments to do HIS work and display it in power!

Greg Schreiber
Oct 14, 2011 Greg Schreiber rated it it was amazing
An account of continuous miracles over one man's life--in short, the impossible made possible--this book is a excellent example of what can be achieved by putting God first in your life and relying on him 100% in everything.
David
Feb 17, 2010 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very honest and straight forwardly written by a Angus who loves to tell of his faith just as it is. His story is an encouragement to everyone who wonders if they are too ordinary to attempt something great for God.
Magdalena Osiejewicz
Uncle Tom's Cabin school of writing presents...
Heather
Aug 31, 2009 Heather rated it liked it
Amazing what one man can accomplish in Africa. He ran his life on faith and touched thousands of people. A little difficult to read. Reading it a chapter at a time instead of in one sitting is about right.
Jolee
Aug 31, 2011 Jolee rated it really liked it
Great message. I am moved by Angus' story and the breadth and depth of his faith. I pray for such faith. The writing is not superlative, but his ministry is.
Arabicstudent
Aug 04, 2011 Arabicstudent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want to know how God can use an ordinary farmer to acheive amazing things...then read this. Has been made into an great DVD now as well.
Ruth
Aug 17, 2012 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this book, the story of a man who was inspired by seeing God's miracle and became an evangelist and touched thousands of lives.
Mareli Thalwitzer
Everyone has to face a time of testing. God never promised us a life free of trouble, only that he would walk with us through it.
Emma Oliver
Aug 21, 2013 Emma Oliver rated it it was amazing
Inspirational biography encouraging us to trust more in God for every aspect of our lives, no matter what.
Linda
Jan 01, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The movie was good, but the book was even better.
Maddy Kay :)
The movie is also fantastic! :)
B. J.
DVD available 2009
Gail
Sep 02, 2013 Gail rated it it was amazing
Very encouraging.
  • Cameron Townsend: Good News in Every Language (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • What Are You Waiting For?: The One Thing No One Ever Tells You About Sex
  • The Hidden White House: Harry Truman and the Reconstruction of America’s Most Famous Residence
  • Who Is Barack Obama?
  • The Fat Boy Chronicles
  • Flight of the Fugitives: Gladys Aylward
  • Saddam's Secrets: How an Iraqi General Defied & Survived Saddam Hussein
  • Complete Winnetou Trilogy
  • The Unusual Suspect: My Calling to the New Hardcore Movement of Faith
  • Food and Faith: A Theology of Eating
  • Who Was Abigail Adams?
  • From the Ground Up: A Food Grower's Education in Life, Love, and the Movement That's Changing the Nation
  • When You Rise Up: A Covenantal Approach to Homeschooling
  • Who Gets the Drumstick?: The Story of the Beardsley Family
  • The Overcoming Life
  • The Savage My Kinsman
  • My Empire of Dirt: How One Man Turned His Big-City Backyard into a Farm
  • It's a Jungle Out There (The Rani Adventures, #1)

“If you allow one little sin to creep into your life, and think it doesn't matter, it will grow and grow until it affects your whole spiritual life, deflecting you from your primary aim of serving God.” 14 likes
“Peter Marshall, the great evangelical preacher, once said that we need "faith like potatoes" - plain, simple, real faith that will sustain us in our everyday lives. Whenever I pick up a potato I remember those words. That's the kind of faith I want. When we have faith and act on it, God will come through for us, no matter what our circumstances. God is King!” 13 likes