Start by marking “Spinward Fringe Broadcasts 1 and 2: Resurrection and Awakening (Spinward Fringe, #1-2, Omnibus)” as Want to Read:

Spinward Fringe Broadcasts 1 and 2: Resurrection and Awakening (Spinward Fringe #1-2, Omnibus)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  1,466 ratings  ·  46 reviews
This volume collects the first two novellas in the Spinward Fringe Series: Resurrection and Awakening. Captain Jacob Valance has no memory of his past. Left on a strange ship in an unfamiliar sector of the galaxy, he was forced to begin a new life. Years pass and in that time he's earned a reputation as a man who can hunt down hardened criminals and go where others fear to ...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Createspace (first published August 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Spinward Fringe Broadcasts 1 and 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spinward Fringe Broadcasts 1 and 2

Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinOld Man's War by John ScalziThe Forever War by Joe HaldemanOn Basilisk Station by David Weber
Military Science Fiction
459th out of 566 books — 790 voters
The Infinite Jeff by Will HolcombTollesbury Time Forever by Stuart AyrisThe Chimera Vector by Nathan M. FarrugiaThe Seraphim Sequence by Nathan M. FarrugiaIdentity X by Michelle Muckley
Unheralded Books
29th out of 67 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Whispers from the Pirate's Ghost Whisper
The second and third installments in the Spinward Fringe series (Sold as a combined e-book at Amazon).

For more specifics see my review of .Origins.

This is the continuation of the Spinward Fringe series. It takes place about 5-10 years after Origins with Jacob Valance instead of Jonas. In the Prologue he's awakened from stasis with little to no memories of what has happend to him but filled with pre-programed desire to hunt for people. That and what can only be described as an amazing phisiologic
J.A. Clement
I bought this book immediately after finishing Origins because I was so gripped by the storyline (though slightly vexed by the typos and formatting errors). This second instalment is equally good and I would say slightly less typo-ridden - but still has a noticeable amount.

We are introduced to the Captain, Jacob Valence, who has no knowledge of his past except that he has a daughter...He is a ruthless bounty hunter, but as he interacts with his crew it is revealed that he is an excellent leader
Kyle
Spinward Fringe Resurrection And Awakening are two more novellas in the continuing story. The last novella in the Origins book, leaves with a giant cliffhanger, and I felt a bit short-changed that Ressurrection begins some five years later and we don't really know what happened. In fact, we find out beloved Jonas Valent is now going by the name of Jacob (Jake) Valence.

It felt a little awkward switching view points from Jonas to Jake, although it wasn't a negative change like when Captain Picard
Matt Lehman
I just finished these two installments and really enjoyed the experience. This series gives you just about everything you could want in a science fiction series. It's scope is immense. The technologies are fantastic and believable. You care about the characters. The action is fast paced and the plot line moves briskly. With some series you get some redundancy and parts that drag, which show an author struggling to figure out what comes next or trying to stretch out the material. Not in this seri ...more
Taylor
So this is pretty decent space opera. Nothing great or genre changing (no one will confuse LaLonde with Reynolds, for example).

However, this does not change the fact that it is good serviceable space opera. The backdrop is interesting - if a little cliched, as is the technology and characters, although the conversations are where the book falls down. They feel wooden, stilted, and cliche-ridden. If you can get past that and just want a good space romp, this is a really good choice.

I bought the n
Donna
I described the first book in this series as cheesy space opera but I liked the characters and story enough to read the next one. Somehow, and pleasantly so, the writing was drastically better. This was a real science fiction book. It continues the story but with a lot of new characters. I really liked where the story went and there was a great twist towards the end that has me putting the next book on the top of the TBR pile.
Weenie
Good continuation from the first set of books, introducing some new characters but still mentioning some old.

The second book ended in a bit of a cliff-hanger and of course, I shall have to find out what happens next!

Shame the books are a bit on the short side but I guess it's just what I'm used to.
joseph R. Hylton
Story overshadows scientific goofs

This book really gets 4.5 stars but halves are not offered. The Spinward Fringe series is quickly becoming my favorite sci fy series. The story so far centers on three groups: Alice and Jonas Valent, Jacob Valance and the crew of The Sampson, and Freeground Station. The series is set in the far far future and is in most respects a space opera. Randolph Lalonde uses deep character builds and lots of action to keep the story flowing. I also can deeply feel for the
Douglas Cook
First sentences

Book 1 - Resurrection
"It was a rebirth. Under the dim flickering lights of the cold, dark cargo hold two women played the roles of midwives. The tall one with the long brown hair entered the final combination on the small control panel built into the stasis pod. The shorter woman waited, standing close and ready with a breathing device in hand. The dark stasis pod opened at the bottom. Thick fluid burst forth, carrying an unconscious man out onto the deck. “Hurry, get the pump in,
Tommy Howell
I'm not sure if this was written before or after "Origins" since so much changed between the 2 books. I liked that we got to check in with virtually everyone from the first book and we advanced the story of technology and the abuses of the megacorporations. There was a lot of groundwork laid for future installments. Some seems clear where it is going, but I'm sure there will be plenty of twists along the way.
This is a well-imagined future in space with multiple space travel options, a huge varie
Sulieman Mansouri
As soon as I finished the first book Origin I had to read the rest. If you are a scifi reader you won't go wrong with this book great read, tons of action and gadgets.
I won't talk about the plot or the characters, my only complaint about this book, the kindle edition, is that in the go to menu you can only navigate through the first book Resurrection and not the second one Awakening. As for the typos and misspells, if English is not your native language or not being anal, then I would say that t
Fred
As I understand it now I think that these, Broadcasts One and Two, were actually the first two written and then the writer went back at a later date and wrote Broadcast Zero as a prequel. That would make sense as to why his writing style seemed more refined and polished in Broadcast Zero.

This was still a good book and I would recommend it to anyone into classic science fiction and the space opera genres. I like the world-building that the writer has done more than I like any particular characte
Randy Mccallum
Continues a good story and the characters are interesting. I read it in E book format and it could have been edited better, but the mistakes are easy to overlook
Yougo
Oct 20, 2012 Yougo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sci-fi readers, adventure readers
Recommended to Yougo by: april rogers
Shelves: sci-fi, adventure
A great sci-fi read. While there were a few points I was disappointed in, over-all, this is a great read. The characters are well thought out, the action is bountiful, and the cool sci-fi gadgets and creative thinking abound (without overcomplicating it). I was a little disappointed that this installment wasn't written in first person the same as the Origins installment, but now having read it, I understand why it couldn't be done that way and still cover the scope it did. A great read, highly r ...more
Lindsay
Two very enjoyable sci-fi novellas, I found myself picking this up and reading it in the middle of doing other things (well, maybe I was procrastinating a bit!). The characters were wonderful, very likeable and full of interest and the scope of the story was fantastic, with the technology really brought to life. Some great twists and turns as the story progressed!
I did occasionally get a little confused with characters from the first book (Origins) and so a bit of a recap would have been nice.
Alexander Bradley
I thought that the way the story was leading from the previous book would wreck any sequel, yet I was completely wrong.

Surprise after surprise is what anybody has to look forward to when reading this series. Apart from a few spellings mistakes the book is easy to read showing several different perspectives from a range of characters. If anything, its better then the first book giving off much more mystery with plenty of hidden curtains to show later on.

Definitely worth any sci-fi readers time.
Robert
I recommend this series. But need to point out the negatives to it.

1. Editing Sucks.
2. This episode did not display well on my Kindle Fire. I had to reorient the display occasionally or I would miss entire sentences.
3. The author has renamed the books several times. So figuring out which book is next takes some researching.

I enjoy the story and the characters and have bought two books from the series. I do not usually buy books.
John Boettcher
Great first couple of stories from a new author! What a great time for Lalonde to come onto the scene just as the Nook and Kindle were coming out because he was able to get his first book or two out to a mass audience for nothing, and paved the way for so many like him afterwards.

I am not going to ruin the story for you. It is space opera through and through. If you liked Firefly, you will like this series.
Simon
Another bargain from Mr Lalonde, the next two books in the Spinward Fringe Series for the same price as one of the later books. Another good marketing technique after setting the first book in the series Broadcast 0 Origins for free.

If you enjoy plot twists, huge epic battles, whole solor systems at war etc that would put a series of Star Trek/Stargate to shame then the Spinward Fringe Series is for you!
Tuukka Urpi
Saga continues. Although it is pretty mediocre as literature, as a space opera I found these pretty nice. And hooking, had to bought the next book as well. If you don't get tired of lengthy information dumping around surroundings, flat characters and countless deus ex machinas, these books will provide you lots of stress free reading.
Leslie
Read this in less than 2 days so got into the story very quickly. Plot much more about the characters in these 2 installments than in Origins so fewer space battles! I like the writing style and also that each installment has an ending rather than having to move straight on to the next book.
Kieron
another excellent story. became a bit bogged down three quarters of the way through but came good in the end. love this tale, the characters the way it's written. already bought the next two books as I am that confident with the skills of this author.
Gareth Lewry
I thought this was fantastic, it moved at a pace that kept me interested throughout the book. Only a few typos that I noticed and it didn't take me out of the experience. Soooo good, I started the next one in the series right away.
Teejaybee
Yep .. I enjoyed this book although I have to admit that I did lose track of everything about three quarters of the way through. I think I'll take a break from the series for a little while rather than rush into get the next installment.
Greg
Be careful, once you start this series, you might not be able to stop...

I enjoyed this series. The jump from book 0 to this one is a little hard at first, but stick with it, it gets much easier and clearer...
Mayjori NoneYoBusiness
This is my all time FAVORITE scifi series, possibly my favorite of any genre. The only problem is i get hacked off every time I read it cause it isnt long enough, short books, is actually pretty frustrating ;).
nick
this is definitely my new favorite series
Brian Rashap
I seems to be addicted to Lalonde's fast paced, almost TV episode like, type of writing. Great science fiction escape for those that like fast paced reads.
liirogue
Great continuation. I'm really enjoying this series, and the author has a very fast-paced style. I could see this series becoming a good movie or TV show.
Rob
Read through this in a couple of days.
The story is fast paced and it again has that quality that makes me not want to put it down.
  • The Honour of the Knights
  • Return to Dakistee (A Galaxy Unknown #8)
  • Celestia CV-02 (The Frontiers Saga #8)
  • Temporary Duty
  • Legend of the Sword (In Her Name: The Last War, #2)
  • Right Ascension
Born in 1974, Randolph Lalonde has worked in customer service, sales, played drums for several heavy metal bands you've never heard of, dealt blackjack in a traveling casino, and serviced countless computers. He's also owned businesses in the design, printing, collectible and custom computer fields.

He completed writing his first novel in the fantasy adventure genre at the age of fifteen and has be
More about Randolph Lalonde...

Spinward Fringe (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Freeground (First Light Chronicles, #1, Spinward Fringe #0.1)
  • Limbo (First Light Chronicles, #2, Spinward Fringe #0.2)
  • First Light Chronicles Starfree Port (First Light Chronicles, #3, Spinward Fringe #0.3)
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0: Origins (First Light Chronicles, #1-3, Spinward Fringe, #0)
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 1: Resurrection (Spinward Fringe, #1)
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 2: Awakening (Spinward Fringe, #2)
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 3: Triton (Spinward Fringe, #3)
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 4: Frontline (Spinward Fringe, #4)
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 5: Fracture (Spinward Fringe, #5, Rogue Element, #1)
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 6: Fragments (Spinward Fringe, #6, Rogue Element, #2)
Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0: Origins (First Light Chronicles, #1-3, Spinward Fringe, #0) Spinward Fringe Broadcast 3: Triton (Spinward Fringe, #3) Spinward Fringe Broadcast 6: Fragments (Spinward Fringe, #6, Rogue Element, #2) Spinward Fringe Broadcast 4: Frontline (Spinward Fringe, #4) Spinward Fringe Broadcast 5: Fracture (Spinward Fringe, #5, Rogue Element, #1)

“Guiding the minds of madmen is a lot like herding cats. As soon as you assume to know their intentions they prove you wrong and you lose an eye.” 0 likes
“Oh, you think it's both? Not just the power?” “That's my best guess. I can say for a certainty that two decks won't be able to activate waste recycling as well. That's eleven toilets slowly filling up.” “Not a pretty picture.” 0 likes