Brown Skin Blue

Brown Skin Blue

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  17 reviews
My mum's skin is white, my skin is brown and I have a blue birthmark.

Two secrets rule my life. One is something I need to know and the other is something I need to forget. They won't let me go.
Some people say you can't death roll with a beast that has already survived a million years and live to tell the story.

Or can you?
Published June 1st 2009 by University of Queensland Press

To ask other readers questions about Brown Skin Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brown Skin Blue

Jo
You don’t get many crocodiles in Manchester. I know, I know, I should have warnings when I drop bombs like that, shouldn’t I? I hope you weren’t drinking or anything… apologies if your computer is now a bit damp.
I think the closest I’ve ever come to a crocodile was on a school trip to Chester Zoo but… well, when there’s a place you can go where bats fly around your head, crocodiles don’t really register. I don’t know anything about crocodiles. And, while I’m talking about things that I don’t rea...more
Nomes
Brown Skin Blue is one of those unassuming books that caught me unaware - by the time I had finished with it I knew I had read something extraordinary.

Barry Mundy (who everyone calls Barramundy) has a secret - which the reader knows, but no one else does - it's a secret that means journalists are tracking him down and that gives him nightmares. A secret that robbed his childhood and a secret that has bigger ramifications that Barramundy has yet to discover.

Barry (seventeen) is on his own in th...more
Shirley Marr
Jul 09, 2012 Shirley Marr rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Shirley by: Jo
Shelves: aussie-ya
I'm going to try and keep this review quite short, as I hate it when someone whose opinions I love and respect (that being the wonderful Jo) recommends me a book that I don't take to at all. Plus I don't really want to waste your time (and upset authors) telling you what I didn't enjoy about this book whereas 1) the proof in the pudding (shortlisting for the WA Premier's Award 2009 and numerous four and five star Goodreads reviews) and 2) I'd rather talk about books that I either adore or find d...more
Anna
Anyone who assumes young adult fiction is all fluff and nonsense (we all know it is anything but, but many do not, or don't really want to know) should pick up this book and get completely lost in it. They really should.

I was a bit worried about starting this - I had the good fortune to attend a recent YA workshop run by the author - she was brilliant - encouraging and really inspiring, but part of me felt I wouldn't be able to completely enjoy the book because I'd been given an insight into the...more
Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else]
My best friend lives in Humpty Doo, and I love it out that way. She lives on a huge bush block with a tiny jacuzzi in the middle of it. We drink cocktails and watch the wallabies hop by. It's one of those rare times you REALLY know you're in Australia!
Catriona
This book. This book. This book. This book. This book. This book. THIS BOOK.
Brown skin blue - Belinda Jeffrey
This book is amazing. Truly amazing. Lik omg guyss.
What is it with Australian authors? THEY’RE ALL BLOODY AMAZING.
‘Brown skin blue’ is the story of a young adult trying to find out who he is, and where he comes from. After leaving his Mother, he lives in a hotel called ‘Humpty Doo’ and works at a crocodile-feeding tourist exhibition.
This is not your average ‘journey’ book. It’s been done...more
Alison
What a great Australian book. I loved every page, some of which were so poignant I experienced multiple moments of writer's envy. Belinda Jeffrey's voice is distinct and her prose subtle. She's created a dinky-di, Aussie story that is full of memorable characters and rich detail. I could hear the broad accents of Barry's mates and feel the oppressive heat of Darwin and the top end.

Brown Skin Blue is a fantastic coming of age tale as well as a story of redemption. Although some tough issues--chi...more
Rosemary
Young adult novel about a young man whose mother has white skin, he has brown and a blue birthmark. Beautiful coming of age novel set in tropical northern Australia in Darwin with crocodiles featuring. Shocking beginning that sets the tone.
Mrs Mac McKenzie
This was a great read about a young man who is on a quest to figure out his identity and where he belongs and what he should be doing with his life. A nice story about being lost and finding your way.
Melissa
Great story about Barra! Touchy subject to bring up but I think Belinda has done a brilliant job of creating fantastic characters to tell the story.
Emma
3.5 stars, mainly attributed to a very likeable main character, the great descriptions of the Australian outback and the symbolism.
Cally Jackson
Very strong images and an interesting, different plot and perspective. Thought the narration was a little unrealistic at times though.
Marg
4.5/5

not the lightest read, but extremely compelling, and I felt like I was in Humpty Doo with the characters.

Lovely writing.
Emma
Belinda Jeffrey is an awesome Australian writer. This book is so vividly brought to life. I loved it.
Trisha
Aug 05, 2011 Trisha added it
Intense, intimate and intriguing. Also hopeful, which is always good.
Ruby Greaves
not the best book in the world but i still kind of liked it
Jade
Such a powerful story. Beautiful.
Dawn Chapman
Dawn Chapman marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Kat
Kat added it
Jun 14, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Nina
Nina added it
Apr 22, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Big River Little Fish One Long Thread Belinda Jeffrey's 100 Favourite Recipes It Wasn't Me! Big River, Little Fish