Start by marking “Art of Colonial Latin America (Phaidon Art and Ideas)” as Want to Read:
Art of Colonial Latin America (Phaidon Art and Ideas)

Art of Colonial Latin America (Phaidon Art and Ideas)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A lively account of the interaction between European and indigenous artist that took place during more than 300 years of Spanish and Portuguese colonial influence in Latin America (c. 1492-1820). The book offers a fascinating insight into viceregal, missionary and civic architecture, as well as painting, sculpture and such 'minor arts' as furniture, textiles and ceramics. ...more
Published February 1st 2005 by Phaidon Press

To ask other readers questions about Art of Colonial Latin America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art of Colonial Latin America

Mike
Simply great: like all in this fine series by Phaidon, it covers the aesthetic and social history of a specific arts movement, time period, or in this case a broad geographical area. Superb illustrations, high-quality printing, and expert text on this complicated wide-spanning, era of visual arts. I am very thankful they decided to do a volume on this important but oft-neglected period and geographical region.
Lamadia
A little more history than art history, but since I knew nothing about Latin American Colonial history, it was filled with tons of new info. It's extremely readable, like the other book in the series that I've read. My primary interest isn't Latin America, so I gave it only 3 stars based on my own personal interest with the subject matter rather than the actual quality of the book.
Monica
Informative, although I felt like Brazilian art did not get as much treatment as other Spanish American colonies. FYI: This book is focuses a little more on history than individual works of art.
Kimberly
Mar 01, 2008 Kimberly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in art history.
Phaidon's line of art history books are perhaps the most readable to non-art historians out there. A fine collection. I own several in this series.
Michael
Fine overview. Interesting in that it takes a thematic rather than a chronological approach.
Jack Ferris
Apr 06, 2011 Jack Ferris is currently reading it
Sigilise
Sigilise marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2013
J. W.
J. W. added it
Sep 29, 2013
Qvega
Qvega marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2012
Dyer
Dyer marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2011
Huitaca
Huitaca marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2011
Baroque & Rococo Between Renaissance and Baroque: Jesuit Art in Rome, 1565-1610 Hope and Healing: Painting in Italy in a Time of Plague, 1500-1800 The Andean Hybrid Baroque: Convergent Cultures in the Churches of Colonial Peru Art On The Jesuit Missions In Asia And Latin America, 1542 1773