Start by marking “Lysbeth: A Tale of the Dutch” as Want to Read:
Lysbeth: A Tale of the Dutch
Read Book* *Different edition

Lysbeth: A Tale of the Dutch

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Teenage and adult readers will be inspired by this historical novel about a Dutch woman who is caught up in the terrors of the Spanish Inquisition during the 1500s. This lively and heart-rending story by H. Rider Haggard will remind each reader of the value of religious liberty.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1901)

To ask other readers questions about Lysbeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lysbeth

Another atypical Haggard, Lysbeth, A Tale of the Dutch, is set in Sixteenth Century Holland and is the story of a family caught up in a religious war during a Spanish occupation. Lysbeth, in love with Dirk who has not declared himself since she is wealthy and he is not, is coveted by Count Juan de Montalvo, a Spaniard. The Count is more interested in her money than in Lysbeth herself. After Montalvo gathers information to prove Dirk a heretic and have him put to death, Lysbeth agrees to marry hi ...more
Abigail Rasmussen
This is a great book if you're looking for an adventure filled novel. It takes place during the Spanish Inquisition and describes some of the horrors that happened giving you an idea of what it was really like to live during that time period. Follow Lysbeth, a young Hollander girl, as she struggles through life enduring times of hardships and peace, sorrow and happiness, war and love.

H. R. Haggard was already one of my favorite authors and Lysbeth only made my opinion of him higher.

I read this
Despite his morbid fascination with severed fingers (in both "The Pearl Maiden" & "Lysbeth"!), H. Rider Haggard writes splendid historical fiction! I suppose being a guy and writing long and sometimes sentimental novels he has to interject some sort of masculine ick factor, but it wouldn't be any loss if he had left it out...
This is an excellent story about a tragic but important time in church history.
Jan 29, 2008 Eyebright rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Fiction Lovers
Recommended to Eyebright by: My Mother
This is one of the most incredible historical fiction books I have ever read. I loved it! What more can I say, other than, I would recommend this book to absolutly anyone who loves historical fiction, beautiful romance, and stunning adventure.
This tale of the persecution of the Protestant Dutch by their Spanish oppressors was very well written and gave one a good grasp upon the historical figures and events of the time. What really stood out to me, though, was the way that it made you "feel" with the characters. Many times, I tend to view persecution and martyrdom as far off and impersonal things. They do not live in my mind; they are not fully real. This book, along with others I have read, helped to bring home to me just how terrib ...more
Thom Swennes
“If you dig in a graveyard, you will find bones.” This proverb is at the heart of this story of Holland’s war for freedom from Spain. This is a very moving tale of deceit, greed and human suffering. Count Juan de Montalvo (a man you just love to hate) forces Lysbeth into marriage in order to save her true love Dirk. This is just the beginning of a long and harrowing tale of woe and conflict. I think this novel appeals to me as I live no more than 30 miles from Leiden, the city where most of the ...more
Mike Steinborn
This book was well-written and an interesting piece of historical fiction that takes place during the Spanish occupation of the Netherlands in the 1400 and 1500s, something that I knew nothing about. It also revealed a side of H. Rider Haggard that I knew nothing about. I've always associated him with adventure novels like "King Solomon's Mines" and "She". But apparently he wrote other books like "Lysbeth" and "Pearl Maiden" that focus on people of Christian faith and their struggles to be free ...more
Lydia Petersen
This was a weird book, and not a good sort of weird. I didn't like the way the book was divided into two parts and the amount of time that went between the two parts. Not to give anything away, but frankly this heroine needed to stand up for herself. I grew weary of the constant "damsel's in distress" and the plot in and of itself was really just odd.
Debby Kean
Very well written about horrible people.
The story line was decent but it was slow enough I had a hard time bogging through it.
Jul 13, 2012 Alexxus rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys historical fiction and/or plot twists and interesting plot-lines.
Lysbeth is an enchanting and enveloping tale of a young girl during the Spanish Inquistion. Her amazing stregnth and braveness inspires me. H. Rider Haggard has impressed me once again with his supreme ability of story-telling. With no regrets, I recommend this book 110%.
This book just got better and better! I loved the history and adventure and romance and violence and betrayal. Classic good versus evil and heroic deeds. Great free read.
Hannah Simmons
I have read this book twice over--I loved it so much--it is about the dutch and the spanish war and William of Orange.
This is much longer than I thought it would be. Not bad, but a little strange.
Nafis Dipto
Nafis Dipto marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
MB Taylor
MB Taylor marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Rick Smith
Rick Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Sarah P.
Sarah P. marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Tina marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Mani marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Jenn marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Aileen Goldie
Aileen Goldie is currently reading it
Aug 03, 2015
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
  • Mother
  • A Peep Behind the Scenes (Rare Collector's Series)
  • Joyfully at Home: A Book for Young Ladies on Vision and Hope
  • Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends: How to Fight the Good Fight at Home
  • With Lee in Virginia
  • The Basket of Flowers: A Tale for the Young
  • Wreath
  • The Dark Foundations (The Lamb Among the Stars, #3)
  • The First Sir Percy: an Adventure of the Laughing Cavalier
  • The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow
  • New Treasure Seekers (Bastable Children, #3)
  • The Wide, Wide World
  • The Embittered Ruby (Diamond Estates, #2)
  • Ester Ried
  • The Shield Ring
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • Elsie's Widowhood (The Original Elsie Classics #7)
  • Beautiful Girlhood
Sir Henry Rider Haggard was an English writer of adventure novels set in exotic locations, predominantly Africa, and the creator of the Lost World literary genre. His stories, situated at the lighter end of the scale of Victorian literature, continue to be popular and influential. He was also involved in agricultural reform and improvement in the British Empire.

His breakout novel was King Solomon
More about H. Rider Haggard...
King Solomon's Mines (Allan Quatermain, #1) She (She, #1) Allan Quatermain The People of the Mist Ayesha: The Return of She