Start by marking “Lysbeth: A Tale of the Dutch” as Want to Read:
Lysbeth: A Tale of the Dutch

Read Book* *Different edition

Lysbeth: A Tale of the Dutch

Teenage and adult readers will be inspired by this historical novel about a Dutch woman who is caught up in the terrors of the Spanish Inquisition during the 1500s. This lively and heart-rending story by H. Rider Haggard will remind each reader of the value of religious liberty.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1901)

To ask other readers questions about Lysbeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lysbeth

Dagny
Aug 10, 2012 Dagny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: haggard-h-rider
Another atypical Haggard, Lysbeth, A Tale of the Dutch, is set in Sixteenth Century Holland and is the story of a family caught up in a religious war during a Spanish occupation. Lysbeth, in love with Dirk who has not declared himself since she is wealthy and he is not, is coveted by Count Juan de Montalvo, a Spaniard. The Count is more interested in her money than in Lysbeth herself. After Montalvo gathers information to prove Dirk a heretic and have him put to death, Lysbeth agrees to marry hi ...more
Abigail Rasmussen
This is a great book if you're looking for an adventure filled novel. It takes place during the Spanish Inquisition and describes some of the horrors that happened giving you an idea of what it was really like to live during that time period. Follow Lysbeth, a young Hollander girl, as she struggles through life enduring times of hardships and peace, sorrow and happiness, war and love.

H. R. Haggard was already one of my favorite authors and Lysbeth only made my opinion of him higher.

I read this
Sep 18, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christine
Aug 12, 2009 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite his morbid fascination with severed fingers (in both "The Pearl Maiden" & "Lysbeth"!), H. Rider Haggard writes splendid historical fiction! I suppose being a guy and writing long and sometimes sentimental novels he has to interject some sort of masculine ick factor, but it wouldn't be any loss if he had left it out...
This is an excellent story about a tragic but important time in church history.
Eyebright
Jan 18, 2008 Eyebright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Fiction Lovers
Recommended to Eyebright by: My Mother
This is one of the most incredible historical fiction books I have ever read. I loved it! What more can I say, other than, I would recommend this book to absolutly anyone who loves historical fiction, beautiful romance, and stunning adventure.
George
May 21, 2017 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historical novel with love story about a Dutch woman who is caught up in the terrors of the Spanish Inquisition during the 1500s.

This book takes place in the Netherlands and is about Lysbeth van Hout and love triangle involving her, her true love and the the story’s arch villian who threatens her into a loveless marriage and is carried into the next generation involving her 2 children, Foy and Adrian. Starts around the year 1544 ending in 1574.

Typical of Haggard's style, the true loves face nume
Thom Swennes
Jan 17, 2013 Thom Swennes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“If you dig in a graveyard, you will find bones.” This proverb is at the heart of this story of Holland’s war for freedom from Spain. This is a very moving tale of deceit, greed and human suffering. Count Juan de Montalvo (a man you just love to hate) forces Lysbeth into marriage in order to save her true love Dirk. This is just the beginning of a long and harrowing tale of woe and conflict. I think this novel appeals to me as I live no more than 30 miles from Leiden, the city where most of the ...more
Grace
Mar 29, 2012 Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This tale of the persecution of the Protestant Dutch by their Spanish oppressors was very well written and gave one a good grasp upon the historical figures and events of the time. What really stood out to me, though, was the way that it made you "feel" with the characters. Many times, I tend to view persecution and martyrdom as far off and impersonal things. They do not live in my mind; they are not fully real. This book, along with others I have read, helped to bring home to me just how terrib ...more
Rebekah
Dec 06, 2016 Rebekah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mike Steinborn
This book was well-written and an interesting piece of historical fiction that takes place during the Spanish occupation of the Netherlands in the 1400 and 1500s, something that I knew nothing about. It also revealed a side of H. Rider Haggard that I knew nothing about. I've always associated him with adventure novels like "King Solomon's Mines" and "She". But apparently he wrote other books like "Lysbeth" and "Pearl Maiden" that focus on people of Christian faith and their struggles to be free ...more
Lydia
Oct 23, 2012 Lydia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lydia Petersen
Aug 19, 2014 Lydia Petersen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a weird book, and not a good sort of weird. I didn't like the way the book was divided into two parts and the amount of time that went between the two parts. Not to give anything away, but frankly this heroine needed to stand up for herself. I grew weary of the constant "damsel's in distress" and the plot in and of itself was really just odd.
Jelly Fish
another poorly-researched, borderline-racist novel about the spanish inquisition, written by a british dude. there are some pretty passages here and there. everybody in the book is annoying or awful, even the "heroes"—ie. anyone who isn't spanish.
Alexxus
Jul 13, 2012 Alexxus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys historical fiction and/or plot twists and interesting plot-lines.
Lysbeth is an enchanting and enveloping tale of a young girl during the Spanish Inquistion. Her amazing stregnth and braveness inspires me. H. Rider Haggard has impressed me once again with his supreme ability of story-telling. With no regrets, I recommend this book 110%.
Rachel
Feb 22, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book just got better and better! I loved the history and adventure and romance and violence and betrayal. Classic good versus evil and heroic deeds. Great free read.
Hannah Simmons
Feb 09, 2010 Hannah Simmons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book twice over--I loved it so much--it is about the dutch and the spanish war and William of Orange.
Debby Kean
Nov 13, 2014 Debby Kean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Very well written about horrible people.
Kari
Aug 09, 2011 Kari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is much longer than I thought it would be. Not bad, but a little strange.
Adia Standard
Adia Standard rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2015
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2012
Tom
Tom rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2014
Christa Ewing
Christa Ewing rated it did not like it
Sep 02, 2009
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2008
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Agnes
Agnes rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2012
Bekah Krayzel
Bekah Krayzel rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2012
Paul Vittay
Paul Vittay rated it liked it
May 18, 2017
Brianna
Brianna rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2008
Oceaneyes12
May 13, 2014 Oceaneyes12 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
The story line was decent but it was slow enough I had a hard time bogging through it.
Incredible'E
Incredible'E rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Mother
  • To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown
  • Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends: How to Fight the Good Fight at Home
  • Beric the Briton
  • Joyfully at Home: A Book for Young Ladies on Vision and Hope
  • The Infinite Day (The Lamb among the Stars, #4)
  • The Basket of Flowers: A Tale for the Young
  • El Dorado: Further Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel
  • The Dog Crusoe: A Tale of the Western Plains
  • The Story of Rolf & the Viking Bow
  • Death of a Guru
  • Ester Ried
  • A Peep Behind the Scenes
Sir Henry Rider Haggard was an English writer of adventure novels set in exotic locations, predominantly Africa, and the creator of the Lost World literary genre. His stories, situated at the lighter end of the scale of Victorian literature, continue to be popular and influential. He was also involved in agricultural reform and improvement in the British Empire.

His breakout novel was King Solomon
More about H. Rider Haggard...

“Then he prayed for themselves and all who were dear to them, and lastly, that light might be swiftly granted to Dirk in his present difficulty. No, not quite lastly, for he ended with a petition that their enemies might be forgiven, yes, even those who tortured them and burnt them at the stake, since they knew not what they did” 0 likes