Lysbeth: A Tale of the Dutch
read book* *Different edition

Lysbeth: A Tale of the Dutch

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Teenage and adult readers will be inspired by this historical novel about a Dutch woman who is caught up in the terrors of the Spanish Inquisition during the 1500s. This lively and heart-rending story by H. Rider Haggard will remind each reader of the value of religious liberty.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1901)

To ask other readers questions about Lysbeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lysbeth

Abigail Rasmussen
This is a great book if you're looking for an adventure filled novel. It takes place during the Spanish Inquisition and describes some of the horrors that happened giving you an idea of what it was really like to live during that time period. Follow Lysbeth, a young Hollander girl, as she struggles through life enduring times of hardships and peace, sorrow and happiness, war and love.

H. R. Haggard was already one of my favorite authors and Lysbeth only made my opinion of him higher.

I read this...more
Dagny
Another atypical Haggard, Lysbeth, A Tale of the Dutch, is set in Sixteenth Century Holland and is the story of a family caught up in a religious war during a Spanish occupation. Lysbeth, in love with Dirk who has not declared himself since she is wealthy and he is not, is coveted by Count Juan de Montalvo, a Spaniard. The Count is more interested in her money than in Lysbeth herself. After Montalvo gathers information to prove Dirk a heretic and have him put to death, Lysbeth agrees to marry hi...more
Christine
Despite his morbid fascination with severed fingers (in both "The Pearl Maiden" & "Lysbeth"!), H. Rider Haggard writes splendid historical fiction! I suppose being a guy and writing long and sometimes sentimental novels he has to interject some sort of masculine ick factor, but it wouldn't be any loss if he had left it out...
This is an excellent story about a tragic but important time in church history.
Grace
This tale of the persecution of the Protestant Dutch by their Spanish oppressors was very well written and gave one a good grasp upon the historical figures and events of the time. What really stood out to me, though, was the way that it made you "feel" with the characters. Many times, I tend to view persecution and martyrdom as far off and impersonal things. They do not live in my mind; they are not fully real. This book, along with others I have read, helped to bring home to me just how terrib...more
Thom Swennes
“If you dig in a graveyard, you will find bones.” This proverb is at the heart of this story of Holland’s war for freedom from Spain. This is a very moving tale of deceit, greed and human suffering. Count Juan de Montalvo (a man you just love to hate) forces Lysbeth into marriage in order to save her true love Dirk. This is just the beginning of a long and harrowing tale of woe and conflict. I think this novel appeals to me as I live no more than 30 miles from Leiden, the city where most of the...more
Lydia Petersen
This was a weird book, and not a good sort of weird. I didn't like the way the book was divided into two parts and the amount of time that went between the two parts. Not to give anything away, but frankly this heroine needed to stand up for herself. I grew weary of the constant "damsel's in distress" and the plot in and of itself was really just odd.
Oceaneyes12
The story line was decent but it was slow enough I had a hard time bogging through it.
Lydia Shellenbarger
Alexxus
Jul 13, 2012 Alexxus rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys historical fiction and/or plot twists and interesting plot-lines.
Lysbeth is an enchanting and enveloping tale of a young girl during the Spanish Inquistion. Her amazing stregnth and braveness inspires me. H. Rider Haggard has impressed me once again with his supreme ability of story-telling. With no regrets, I recommend this book 110%.
Eyebright
Jan 29, 2008 Eyebright rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Fiction Lovers
Recommended to Eyebright by: My Mother
This is one of the most incredible historical fiction books I have ever read. I loved it! What more can I say, other than, I would recommend this book to absolutly anyone who loves historical fiction, beautiful romance, and stunning adventure.
Rachel
This book just got better and better! I loved the history and adventure and romance and violence and betrayal. Classic good versus evil and heroic deeds. Great free read.
Hannah Simmons
I have read this book twice over--I loved it so much--it is about the dutch and the spanish war and William of Orange.
Kari
This is much longer than I thought it would be. Not bad, but a little strange.
Tanvir Ahmed
Tanvir Ahmed marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Jennifer Dill
Jennifer Dill is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2014
Hanzleberry
Hanzleberry is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2014
Oksana Gantukh
Oksana Gantukh marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Zodiac
Zodiac marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
David  Sam
David Sam marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Sid333
Sid333 marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Sir Henry Rider Haggard was an English writer of adventure novels set in exotic locations, predominantly Africa, and the creator of the Lost World literary genre. His stories, situated at the lighter end of the scale of Victorian literature, continue to be popular and influential. He was also involved in agricultural reform and improvement in the British Empire.

His breakout novel was King Solomon...more
More about H. Rider Haggard...
King Solomon's Mines (Allan Quatermain, #1) She (She, #1) Allan Quatermain The People of the Mist Ayesha: The Return of She