Start by marking “Much Ado About Nothing” as Want to Read:
Much Ado About Nothing

Much Ado About Nothing (Manga Shakespeare)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In "Much Ado About Nothing," Beatrice and Benedick trade insults and fall in love in the sunny Italian court of the Duke--but the Duke's brother has devious plans to ruin the happy mood. Manga readers can now enjoy the wit and drama of these plays firsthand.
Published August 1st 2009 by Amulet Books

To ask other readers questions about Much Ado About Nothing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Much Ado About Nothing

eXtreme
O what coward is he, that boy Claudio of little faith! Why doth he behind Don Pedro hideth? Seriously, the old English is hard to read, but sounds beautiful. I loved the plot twists and word battles between Benedick and Beatrice. Reading it in comics makes it even better!
Elizabeth
Elly
As a lover of both manga and Shakespeare, I absolutely adored this book. The art style is pleasant to look at, and the original dialogue is used. Perfect for people who would like to experience reading Shakespeare, whilst still being able to follow the storyline with ease.
Lydia
Couldn't get into this. Only read it because the manga adaptation intrigued me. Artwork is pretty, but sense of story and plot were very much lacking. Quick read but felt pointless to me. I was bored. Surprised that all the other reviews are very positive.
Marilyn
Dec 03, 2009 Marilyn rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 7th grade and up
I had a hard time telling the different characters apart from each other. The story didn't come alive on the page with these drawings. It felt flat, two-dimensional, not very exciting or funny. It's not the way to read Shakespeare for me.
Martha
This is a manga edition of the Shakespeare play "Much Ado About Nothing". This is by far my favourite Shakespeare play and this manga brought it to life wonderfully.
Bethany
PG.

Holy cow. This graphic novel surprised me. I love it! So fun! This is really well-done. Richard Appignanesi has created a delightful adaptation of Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing. I was initially skeptical about it--I mean, Manga Shakespeare?--but this is my favorite Shakespearean play and I decided that it was time for me to explore the graphic novel section of the library.

Well, this did not disappoint. In fact, since I started out with such low expectations, I was absolutely delighte
Allison
Shakespeare, William Manga Shakespeare: Much Ado About Nothing 208pgs. Amulet Books Language~G, Sexual Content~PG; Violence~PG

This much loved comedy of Shakespeare’s can be seen live, on film, read as a group, or alone. This version brings Much Ado to the newer format of graphic novel. The story is the same. The Prince and his entourage return to Medina to be greeted by the governor Senior Leonato. While there one of the entourage, Claudio falls madly in love with the Govenor’s daughter, Hero. W
Alana
When the Don Pedro/Claudio slash starts showing up, I'll know where it came from.

Picked this up from the library just on account of being intrigued by the concept and was surprised by its turning out to be worth reading and not just laughing at. The story and art, as it turns out, are well matched, and I don't imagine that a teenage girl would be put off by the language, even though (as far as I can tell) it's all straight from Shakespeare himself.

It was interesting to see the Shakespearian Eng
Marsha
One of the Bard’s more troubling works is presented here. Is this comedy or tragedy? Is there anything to laugh at in a tale of a woman wrongly slandered, young love narrowly thwarted or a bastard prince’s evil spite? The slashing tongues of Beatrice and Benedict hide wounded hearts; there is little of comedy there. Yet we have a clowning policeman, mixed signals about marriage proposals and one of the oldest tricks in the book to spur a romance (“My friend says he likes you!”). Emma Vieceli doe ...more
Kalilah
Mangashakespeare; what a brilliant idea. I have never had a keen interest in Shakespeare's plays before and had only read a few of his sonnets until today.

Much Ado About Nothing is not the kind of story I would usually read, but since I discovered this manga adaptation of the play I decided to give a go. I was not disappointed!
It's incredibly funny, fast-paced and the illustrations are complimentary too. I think the best part is that the original text from the play is used but broken into digest
Cherish
I studied this play when I was in college and I was really pleased that there was a manga version of the play. I now own a copy and I'm pleased to have read it.
Faire
A cross of manga and original Shakespeare's dialogues? Pure win!
Alyssandra
I loved this graphic novel. The art in it was so beautiful and pretty. Very well drawn. The story was great, I'd say my favorite Shakespeare play right now. Shakespeare is hard to follow so I got confused and lost at times, but that is always bound to happen in a Shakespeare play. I have to read this play for school in the next few months, so reading this ahead of time will help me understand the play more when I have to read it. I love these graphic novels of Shakespeare plays. So fun to read.
Meaghan
Bravo! I am not ordinarily one for Manga or comics but this caught my eyes and seeing as it was a version of my favorite Shakespeare play I decided to give it a chance. It met my expectations and then went beyond. I enjoyed the illustrations and loved reading the same play in an entirely new way. Again I say: Bravo!
Loved to have my favorite Shakespeare play in a manga. Beatrice and Benedick's sharp tongues are always enjoyable. The medium of manga makes the trap very fun, with score boards for Claudio's performance of Beatrice's passion. It also allows you to see the jabs Beatrice makes to Benedick at the revelries.
Lynn
Was a bit hard to read up to the middle part. If you haven't read the actual script and analysed it, this might be a bit harder to appreciate.
However, kudos for authors to abridge and translate Shakespeare for the modern layman, crafting it into a fun-to-read graphic novella.
Vicki
Reviewed on my UK small/indie press comics blog, Comic Mole Investigates, here .
Pauline
One of my favourite plays by Shakespeare. Love the relationship between Beatrice & Benedick. Also love that Beatrice is a strong female character. This Manga version really works well.
Mike Jensen
I shall be writing about this in my chapter for a book on Shakespeare and the arts to be published next year. It would not be fair to the publishers and editors to give anything away here.
Robin
Great story. Great adaptation.
Lauren
I did not actually read the entire Shakespeare equivalent of this book but I really liked the manga story. The drawings were amazing!
Liz
Jan 25, 2010 Liz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010, plays, ya
A very good (though abridged) rendition of my favourite Shakespeare play, and I think it's a wonderful introduction to the whole play.
Elisabeth P.
The comic book version of this is great because it's an easy way to read and understand the play.
Crystal
I am really enjoying the manga Shakespeare.
Rachel
Very unique. A good introduction to Shakespeare.
Drue
Drue marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Linda
Linda added it
Feb 26, 2015
  • W Juliet, Vol. 12
  • Resolve (Wicked Lovely: Desert Tales, #3)
  • The Sign of the Four: A Sherlock Holmes Graphic Novel
  • Fierce Wars and Faithful Loves (Spenser's Faerie Queen, #1)
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 10: Return to the Tournament (Dragon Ball, #10)
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 02
  • Emma, Vol. 01
  • Blue Fingers: A Ninja's Tale
  • Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • キャットストリート Vol. 1 [Kyatto Sutorīto] (Cat Street, #1)
  • Ariel
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Vol. 2 (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, #2)
Richard Appignanesi is a published adapter and an author of young adult books. Published credits of Richard Appignanesi include Manga Shakespeare: Julius Caesar (Manga Shakespeare), Manga Shakespeare: Macbeth (Manga Shakespeare), Manga Shakespeare: Hamlet (Manga Shakespeare), and Manga Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet (Manga Shakespeare).
More about Richard Appignanesi...

Manga Shakespeare (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • As You Like It
  • Hamlet
  • Henry VIII (Manga Shakespeare)
  • Julius Caesar
  • King Lear (Manga Shakespeare)
  • Macbeth (Manga Shakespeare)
  • The Merchant of Venice
  • Manga Shakespeare: A Midsummer Night's Dream
  • Richard III (Manga Shakespeare)
  • Romeo and Juliet (Manga Shakespeare)
Twelfth Night (Manga Shakespeare) Romeo and Juliet (Manga Shakespeare) Freud for Beginners Introducing Postmodernism Hamlet