Start by marking “Mine-Haha” as Want to Read:
Mine-Haha

Mine-Haha

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  13 reviews
At once a dystopian fantasy and a critique of sexual norms, Mine-Haha describes a unique boarding institution for girls—part idyllic refuge, part prison—where pupils are trained only in the physical arts of movement, dance, and music, before issuing theminto an adult world for which they have (unwittingly) been prepared. The narrator is an old woman recalling her strange c ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Hesperus Press (first published 1901)

To ask other readers questions about Mine-Haha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mine-Haha

karen
ugh, this is yours?? you can keep it.

i don't care if marianne faithfull did write the giant back-cover blurb, i say "mine-blahblah"

but it was pretty close to being good. rewrite it, please.
Jesse
Even just a cursory glance over various analyses of Wedekind's short novella shows that interpretations tend to be just as conflicted and baffled as my own (*sigh of relief*). Because, well, this text is just weird. Really, really weird.

The story, revolving around an unorthodox boarding school young girls become mysteriously initiated into, places each girl into a hierarchical "family" of seven other girls, and over the next seven years rigorously trains them in ballet and to play instruments.
Federica
Mine-haha, Frank Wedekind. Recensione Quello diWedekindfa parte dei romanzi finiti nelle mia libreria a causa di un film. Un film visto tardi, per caso e tanti anni fa.
Un film dal titolo misterioso, affascinante e, per qualche oscuro aspetto, inquietante:L'educazione fisica delle fanciullediJohn Irvin.
A distanza di tempo, leggendo il romanzo, mi sono resa conto delle inevitabili discrepanze tra questa opera e la sua trasposizione cinematografica. Differenze, che, per alcuni aspetti, mi hanno per
Federica
In un misterioso parco vivono dalla nascita ragazzine di ogni età, senza mai avere la possibilità di relazionarsi con il mondo esterno. Apparentemente si tratta di una scuola in cui si insegnano la danza e la musica, in realtà il progetto che c'è dietro mira all'applicazione del principio di interscambiabilità e alla spersonalizzazione, come fasi che precedono la mercificazione.
"L'utopia" di Wedekind appare sinistramente profetica al lettore dell'epoca del bunga bunga.
Essenziale per la compren
Natalí
A very weird book... the first story is a tale of the ironic innocence a girl, trained though her body only, passed her first years in a questionable environment.
I liked more the two stories that came with Mine-Haha. One about how lust can make us lose everything and the last one... how innocence may be killed by a broken heart. That one, I loved.
Chelsea
This was . . . interesting. I'd like to read it again when I have the chance, just to figure out what I think it's about. It's so odd . . .
Tiffany
waited almost a year for this book. thrilled it arrive today. first read.
Dita D'inchiostro
Mine-Haha è una parola indiana (dakota) che significa "acqua ridente" (germanizzazione del nome femminile americano Minnehaha).
A cosa ci introduce?
A un romanzo che ne porta il titolo.
Sottotitolo: "Dell'educazione fisica delle fanciulle".
No, non spaventatevi, non è niente di erotico o scandaloso da questo punto di vista. In un certo senso è molto peggio perché, nella perfezione della disciplina corporea cui le fanciulle sono sottoposte, si cela un gravoso segreto che riguarda il mondo che le ha
Dana
I was prepared for something extremely disturbing, but the book fell short. Having seen Spring Awakening, it was the kind of off-beat, detached, punishing take on/experience of teen sexuality that was in his other work. Left me kind of meh.
Russ
Two short stories and a novella make up this collection. While I wouldn't use these three stories to indicate that Wedekind is a master of short fiction, but I would certainly be interested in reading some of his drama.
Celeste
Dario Argento says Mine-Haha was the inspiration for Suspiria. Thanks to Hesperus Press' English translation, I finally got to read it. Well worth it, and Marianne Faithfull approves, too.
Fatty
Mar 19, 2010 Fatty marked it as to-read
If anyone can find a copy of this book anywhere, as I'm afraid I cannot, please let me know and I will purchase it outright, especially if the edition is in German.
Found it! Herrlich!
Haunt
un libro istantaneo, con tratti un po' indefiniti.
mi ha ricordato la sacralità de "I beati anni del castigo", ma senza la magia della Fleur
Lyra Belacqua
Lyra Belacqua marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Stephen Murray
Stephen Murray marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Makosita
Makosita marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Ketamine3
Ketamine3 marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
eless aleanarnith
eless aleanarnith marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Valeria Stuardo
Valeria Stuardo marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Frejdis
Frejdis marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
andrew
andrew marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
peach
peach marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Thirtieth Year: Stories
  • Baise-Moi (Rape Me)
  • A Theory of Adaptation
  • Stories and Essays of Mina Loy
  • The Road into the Open
  • The Old Child and Other Stories
  • The Haunted Screen: Expressionism in the German Cinema and the Influence of Max Reinhardt
  • The Birds
  • Tales of Love
  • The Lesbian Body
  • Children in Reindeer Woods
  • Tales of Hoffmann
Benjamin Franklin Wedekind, usually known as Frank Wedekind, was a German playwright. His work, which often criticizes bourgeois attitudes (particularly towards sex), is considered to anticipate expressionism, and he was a major influence on the development of epic theatre.
More about Frank Wedekind...
Spring's Awakening The Lulu Plays and Other Sex Tragedies Lulu. Erdgeist. Die Buchse Der Pandora Plays 1: Spring Awakening / Lulu The First Lulu