Mine-Haha

Mine-Haha

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  13 reviews
At once a dystopian fantasy and a critique of sexual norms, Mine-Haha describes a unique boarding institution for girls—part idyllic refuge, part prison—where pupils are trained only in the physical arts of movement, dance, and music, before issuing theminto an adult world for which they have (unwittingly) been prepared. The narrator is an old woman recalling her strange c...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Hesperus Press (first published 1901)

To ask other readers questions about Mine-Haha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mine-Haha

karen
ugh, this is yours?? you can keep it.

i don't care if marianne faithfull did write the giant back-cover blurb, i say "mine-blahblah"

but it was pretty close to being good. rewrite it, please.
Jesse
Even just a cursory glance over various analyses of Wedekind's short novella shows that interpretations tend to be just as conflicted and baffled as my own (*sigh of relief*). Because, well, this text is just weird. Really, really weird.

The story, revolving around an unorthodox boarding school young girls become mysteriously initiated into, places each girl into a hierarchical "family" of seven other girls, and over the next seven years rigorously trains them in ballet and to play instruments....more
Federica
Mine-haha, Frank Wedekind. Recensione Quello diWedekindfa parte dei romanzi finiti nelle mia libreria a causa di un film. Un film visto tardi, per caso e tanti anni fa.
Un film dal titolo misterioso, affascinante e, per qualche oscuro aspetto, inquietante:L'educazione fisica delle fanciullediJohn Irvin.
A distanza di tempo, leggendo il romanzo, mi sono resa conto delle inevitabili discrepanze tra questa opera e la sua trasposizione cinematografica. Differenze, che, per alcuni aspetti, mi hanno per...more
Federica
In un misterioso parco vivono dalla nascita ragazzine di ogni età, senza mai avere la possibilità di relazionarsi con il mondo esterno. Apparentemente si tratta di una scuola in cui si insegnano la danza e la musica, in realtà il progetto che c'è dietro mira all'applicazione del principio di interscambiabilità e alla spersonalizzazione, come fasi che precedono la mercificazione.
"L'utopia" di Wedekind appare sinistramente profetica al lettore dell'epoca del bunga bunga.
Essenziale per la compren...more
Natalí
A very weird book... the first story is a tale of the ironic innocence a girl, trained though her body only, passed her first years in a questionable environment.
I liked more the two stories that came with Mine-Haha. One about how lust can make us lose everything and the last one... how innocence may be killed by a broken heart. That one, I loved.
Chelsea
This was . . . interesting. I'd like to read it again when I have the chance, just to figure out what I think it's about. It's so odd . . .
Tiffany
waited almost a year for this book. thrilled it arrive today. first read.
Dita D'inchiostro
Mine-Haha è una parola indiana (dakota) che significa "acqua ridente" (germanizzazione del nome femminile americano Minnehaha).
A cosa ci introduce?
A un romanzo che ne porta il titolo.
Sottotitolo: "Dell'educazione fisica delle fanciulle".
No, non spaventatevi, non è niente di erotico o scandaloso da questo punto di vista. In un certo senso è molto peggio perché, nella perfezione della disciplina corporea cui le fanciulle sono sottoposte, si cela un gravoso segreto che riguarda il mondo che le ha...more
Dana Brownstein
I was prepared for something extremely disturbing, but the book fell short. Having seen Spring Awakening, it was the kind of off-beat, detached, punishing take on/experience of teen sexuality that was in his other work. Left me kind of meh.
Russ
Two short stories and a novella make up this collection. While I wouldn't use these three stories to indicate that Wedekind is a master of short fiction, but I would certainly be interested in reading some of his drama.
Celeste
Dario Argento says Mine-Haha was the inspiration for Suspiria. Thanks to Hesperus Press' English translation, I finally got to read it. Well worth it, and Marianne Faithfull approves, too.
Fatty
Mar 19, 2010 Fatty marked it as to-read
If anyone can find a copy of this book anywhere, as I'm afraid I cannot, please let me know and I will purchase it outright, especially if the edition is in German.
Found it! Herrlich!
Haunt
un libro istantaneo, con tratti un po' indefiniti.
mi ha ricordato la sacralità de "I beati anni del castigo", ma senza la magia della Fleur
andrew
andrew marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
peach
peach marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Gulnara Gazimagomedova
Gulnara Gazimagomedova marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Skipper
Skipper marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Nick
Nick added it
Jun 20, 2014
Daphne Vogel
Daphne Vogel marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Steffanie
Steffanie marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Matteo
Matteo added it
Apr 18, 2014
Matteo
Matteo added it
Apr 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Benjamin Franklin Wedekind, usually known as Frank Wedekind, was a German playwright. His work, which often criticizes bourgeois attitudes (particularly towards sex), is considered to anticipate expressionism, and he was a major influence on the development of epic theatre.
More about Frank Wedekind...
Spring's Awakening The Lulu Plays and Other Sex Tragedies Lulu. Erdgeist. Die Buchse Der Pandora Plays 1: Spring Awakening / Lulu The First Lulu