Start by marking “A Cold Red Sunrise (Porfiry Rostnikov, #5)” as Want to Read:
A Cold Red Sunrise (Porfiry Rostnikov, #5)

A Cold Red Sunrise (Porfiry Rostnikov #5)

ISBN: 3442115892
ISBN 13: 9783442115891

In Tumsk, einer kleinen Siedlung in der unendlich weiten Landschaft Sibiriens, sind zwei Menschen unter mysteriösen Umständen ums Leben gekommen: Karla, die Tochter des Dissidenten Samsonow, stürzt von einer Klippe, als ihr Vater gerade eine Ausreisegenehmigung in den Westen erhalten hat. Und Kommissar Rutkin, der den Fall untersuchen
Mass Market Paperback, 213 pages
Published August 29th 1989 by Ballantine Books/Ivy Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about A Cold Red Sunrise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cold Red Sunrise

Eric_W
Dec 07, 2012 Eric_W rated it really liked it
The old saying "red sky at night, sailor's delight; red sky in morning, sailors take warning," apparently has some scientific validity. It even appears in the Bible (Matthew XVI:2-3) Something to do with the refraction of sunlight through dust particles at night meaning a high pressure and fair weather is on the horizon whereas in the morning, deep red means it's shining through a lot of water content in the clouds. Or something like that.

Whether Kaminsky had anything like that in mind with this
Vic
Mar 14, 2013 Vic rated it liked it
A Cold Red Sunrise represents my first adventure with Russian Police Inspector, Porfiry Rostnikov, one of several of Stuart Kaminsky's on going characters.

Rostnikov is a fifty plus year old cop with a bum leg married to a Jewish woman. As an additional item of interest, their only son is a soldier in the Russian army stationed in Afghanistan. Throughout the story we are treated to not only the development of the mystery Rostnikov is sent to investigate in Siberia, but to snatches of ordinary mid
Kerry
Nov 24, 2008 Kerry rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Porfiry Rostnikov, the investigator, is the most likable and interesting character. His co-workers are also unique. It is a murder mystery, but the setting and the characters make all of the Porfiry Rostnikov books worth the read.
Susan
Feb 13, 2017 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: siberia
I am always interested by books that take place in Siberia - the setting is interesting, bleak, cold, but nothing about the beauty that other authors report. And not much of a story but a good plane read.
Nikki
This book is a perfect example of a frequent topic of discussion on the DorothyL list: "What takes you out of the story?" Since my dim dead past includes being a Russian literature major in college and serving as a Russian interpreter in the Army, the frequent errors when Kaminsky inserted transliterated Russian words into his narrative not only annoyed me, but made me doubt other aspects of the story. The river in Siberia is the Yenisei, not the "Yensei;" one cigarette is a papiros, two are pap ...more
Manuel Antão
Sep 08, 2013 Manuel Antão rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013

[image error]

Another 2013 discovery, as far as I'm concerned. Never heard of the guy, so everything came as total surprise. Sometimes it pays off to read something quite unexpected.

I've been digging up all of the Edgar Awards. Before getting hold of the complete list, I thought I knew everyone there was to know on the Crime Fiction Scene. Not so.

One of the things that surprised me was the portrayal of Siberia, which is quite mesmerizing. It captures an undeniably beautiful world frozen in time,
Suzy
Jan 28, 2016 Suzy rated it it was amazing
Published 1988 Winner of the Edgar Award for Best Mystery Novel. A taiozhniki is a forest dweller.
"There are Evenks in the taiga beyond the town who don't encounter civilization for years. No one knows how many of them there are. The government can't find them, keep track of them. The forests have been theirs since God created man. They named the river, Yensei, 'big river,' a thousand years before we came. "There are Evenks nearby?" asked Rostnikov. "A few, from time to time," said Galich. "Even
Alan
Jul 06, 2013 Alan rated it really liked it
Personally I don't think this is Kaminsky's best Rostnikov mystery, but this is the one that won the Edgar Award. I read this several years ago, and upon re-read I think I know why the committee selected this book. I think it was because is many ways Kaminsky makes the Siberian town of Tumsk a character as much as any one person in the book.

Rostnikov remains demoted, and the KGB still has their eyes on the inspector. It is because of this he is sent from his city of Moscow to Siberia to investig
David Caldwell
May 03, 2011 David Caldwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stuart Kaminsky has 4 different mystery series. Toby Peters is a private detective in Hollywood in the 40's.Lew Fonesca is a process server in Florida who helps people unofficially.Abe Lieberman is a police detecive in Chicago.Finally there is Porfiry Rostnikov a Moscow police inspector.All 4 characters share a sad demeanor but are all uniquely individual as well.
This time Inspector Rostnikov is investigating the murder of a Commissar in Siberia.The story feels more like a British cozy mystery
Bill
Oct 20, 2012 Bill rated it it was amazing
I have to admit that I shied away from this at first. Why?
Well, it takes place in Russia – in Siberia, no less – and those
Russian names – wouldn’t they be a problem?

Then I began reading. This is a fascinating page turner, with
characters as real as your friends and neighbors – and their names?
No problem. And the setting? Simply adds to the aura of danger,
mystery, and the shades and nuances of character and plot.

This man can write! And now I want to read the rest of this series.
Bill Keller
Feb 28, 2015 Bill Keller rated it it was amazing
I was sorry to hear that Kaminsky died. His "Rostnikov" series has been among my very favorites. While his other books are amusing, these have teeth: great characters and good stories about a cop in Russia, both before and after the Cold War. The cinematic characteristics of these books, especially this one, make for great reads (and audio books). It came as no surprise to me that he was a film instructor, but I am surprised that none of these have been made into movies. Can't be: I'll have to c ...more
K
Nov 09, 2014 K rated it it was amazing
Stuart Kaminsky has become a favorite of mine, both for his skill in crafting enjoyable and intriguing stories, and for his uncanny diversity-- he writes a well plotted mystery in this Porfiry Rostnikov novel and very funny & creative stories in his Toby Peters series, and my personal favorite, Abe Lieberman series. This was a well done and suspenseful, albeit brief story that moved along to a satisfying ending.
Ric
Feb 09, 2016 Ric rated it really liked it
Very good and interesting story, especially the Siberian part. The on going story tells a great deal about how things are done in the Russian way during that period of history. The characters are well balanced with the story being very good. Often follow the store looking at maps and history about the places and events that are described. This book has a great deal to follow and think about. A very good read indeed.
Lynn
Dec 08, 2010 Lynn rated it liked it
This is just one book in one series of Stuart Kaminsky.

I don't know if I'd say that this author was underrated; he may have been a billionaire or a modestly paid professor.

But I like his books, especially the ones set in Russia.

I was surprised when I read the most recent of Kaminsky's book,and, looking to see if his photo had changed on the flyleaf, learned that he had died. A moment of sadness followed.
Rich Durkee
Jun 22, 2015 Rich Durkee rated it really liked it
I wasn't expecting much from this nondescript,yellow paged book that I found at a book sale for 25 cents but I pleasantly surprised to find a good, old-fashioned, well written murder mystery. It also has some interesting information about Siberia. If you are looking for a quick read and don't mind the Russian names and places, I think you would enjoy this book.
Mario
Jul 15, 2012 Mario rated it it was ok
Boring, ultimately pointless, and the mystery is completely unsatisfying (both obvious and impossible to figure out at the same time). The only thing going for this is the Soviet setting, and the author has nothing interesting to say on that score. The only saving grace is that the book was short, so I didn't waste very much time. Skip it.
Joyce Harrison
Nov 02, 2016 Joyce Harrison rated it it was ok
Shelves: editorial-review
I'm a big fan of Martin Cruz Smith (all books beginning with Gorky Park) and I was hoping Kaminsky might measure up. I'm curious now why this author didn't since he's a very respected writer in the genre. The story was okay but no wow factor. There was a subplot, another case besides the main one, and I never understood why. In the end, they had no connection. Odd ..to me.
Peter Barr
Jul 08, 2016 Peter Barr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Cold Red Sunrise by Stuart Kaminsky is an excellent murder mystery. The characters are interesting and likeable, even the murderer in this case. It is a story of detectives from Moscow, two of whom are sent to investigate the death of another policeman in Siberia. I look forward to the next in the series.
Marla Morey
Oct 17, 2016 Marla Morey rated it it was amazing
My first read of Stuart M. Kaminsky and his Inspector Porfiry Rostnikov. . .I loved it! The Inspector is with the Moscow Police. . . murder, KGB, intrigue, in depth characters, a snapshot of period Russia and a WELL written plot. What's not to love. I will read the entire series.
Savvy
Jan 08, 2013 Savvy rated it liked it
Good fast read, but didn't much care for being in Siberia at 40 minus degrees from zero!:-)
The characters were, for the most part, well drawn, but a few didn't seem necessary for the plot.
I doubt that I'll read more in the series...
Hapzydeco
May 03, 2011 Hapzydeco rated it really liked it
Using Siberia as his setting Kaminsky paints a colorful picture of Soviet society in the 1980s. An icicle piercing the skull of the murder victim allows Kaminsky to illustrate how the watchful eye of the KGB operates.
Lewestover
Mar 20, 2012 Lewestover rated it really liked it
Siberia can be called Hell Frozen Over. One dead child, one dead commissar, one observant "cop", and one cold killer in that hell combine to make a tightly written Russian mystery. I liked it enough to want to try some of the author's other writings.
Cyndee
Oct 27, 2009 Cyndee rated it really liked it
Only available used, this book won the Edgar Award for Best Mystery Novel. I found that I knew 'who done it' about the time Inspector Rostnikov did, but I think it is well worth reading.
Laura Ashurst
May 04, 2014 Laura Ashurst rated it really liked it
The best Inspector Rostnikov book I have read so far. The ending surprised me and Siberia chilled me. I have developed a deep affection for the characters in this series.

Lynn
Sep 04, 2013 Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-rereads
This is #5 in the series and probably the best so far. I can't even say why - I just really enjoyed it.
John Gilchrist
Feb 04, 2015 John Gilchrist rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-loan, police
who killed disedent daughter in siberis. who killed guy sent to find murderer. monster who stabbed him in the ryebwith an ice cicle
Kirsty Darbyshire
Dec 07, 2010 Kirsty Darbyshire rated it it was ok
Shelves: paperback

Tedious in the beginning; faitly interesting in the middle; not very exciting by the end. Sorry, just not my cup of tea.

Ilaria Cordovani
Jan 24, 2014 Ilaria Cordovani rated it it was amazing
Un libro fantastico.
La scrittura è chiara e concisa e le atmosfere quasi surreali.
Per gli amanti del giallo oltreconfine.
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2013
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2015
  • The Suspect
  • The Hours Before Dawn (Paperback)
  • The Light of Day
  • A Dram of Poison
  • Winter And Night (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #8)
  • Beast In View
  • An Affair of Sorcerers (A Mongo Mystery, #3)
  • Old Bones (Gideon Oliver, #4)
  • Hopscotch
  • Not a Creature was Stirring (Gregor Demarkian, #1)
  • Red Square (Arkady Renko, #3)
  • Special Assignments (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #5)
  • A Blind Goddess (Billy Boyle World War II, #8)
  • Shallow Grave (Bill Slider,#7)
  • Projection (Frank Clevenger, #2)
  • Every Brilliant Eye (Amos Walker, #6)
  • Maigret on the Defensive
  • Moscow Noir
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2007.

Stuart M. Kaminsky is author of 50 published novels, 5 biographies, 4 textbooks and 35 short stories. He also has screenwriting credits on four produced films including ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, ENEMY TERRITORY, A WOMAN IN THE WIND and HIDDEN FEARS. He is a past president of the Mystery Writers of America and has been nomi
More about Stuart M. Kaminsky...

Porfiry Rostnikov (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Death of a Dissident (Porfiry Rostnikov, #1)
  • Black Knight in Red Square (Porfiry Rostnikov, #2)
  • Red Chameleon (Porfiry Rostnikov, #3)
  • A Fine Red Rain (Porfiry Rostnikov, #4)
  • The Man Who Walked Like a Bear (Porfiry Rostnikov, #6)
  • Rostnikov's Vacation (Porfiry Rostnikov, #7)
  • Death of a Russian Priest (Porfiry Rostnikov, #8)
  • Hard Currency (Porfiry Rostnikov, #9)
  • Blood and Rubles (Porfiry Rostnikov, #10)
  • Tarnished Icons (Porfiry Rostnikov, #11)