The Two Babylons

The Two Babylons

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  32 reviews
You may be surprised to learn that many traditions of Roman Catholicism in fact don't come from Christ's teachings but from an ancient Babylonian "Mystery" religion that was centered on Nimrod, his wife Semiramis, and a child Tammuz. This book shows how this ancient religion transformed itself as it incorporated Christ into its teachings. You may be surprised that certain...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Book Jungle (first published 1853)

To ask other readers questions about The Two Babylons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Two Babylons

John
intense book... fascinating collection of information that shows how widespread the knowledge of God was in the ancient world. Hislop presents so much evidence it is overwhelming, but one might draw different conclusions from the data. The primary thing the reader should realize is that the messianic hope is present in all civilizations and that mother-goddess worship is a perversion of God's true intention for man. God promised the solution to the issue of sin in Genesis 3:14 through the promis...more
Howard George Randolph
From the opening premise through the final chapter, the topical book "The Two Babylons" will take you on a virtual journey through dark and terrifying passages-chilled by the presence of a ancient evil. With each successive chapter the motivations and intricate methods of this evil is exposed to the light until one incontrovertible conclusion is established. The depth of investigation and intricate "knitting" together of the details are the result of Hislop's life's work. This is one of the most...more
Edward Waverley

"This book made me sick at heart because the author goes places where I do not want to go but where I think I might be required to go. He makes the case that the Roman Catholic Church is the spiritual counterpart of Babylon. I suppose this is an old charge, but Hislop’s case is very convincing because the details he presents of the old Babylonian power structures and ethos so resemble the structures and ethos of the Roman Church that one can’t just dismiss...more
Breakthru International
For anyone that is not satisfied with accepting what we are told is the truth but, likes to see the evidence historically and biblically this is the book for you. However, Alexander Hislop highlights church practices that do not have their root in the bible at all.

Extremely, challenging yet I believe necessary for the seeker of truth.

www.breakthruinternational.co.uk
Travis
Todd Bryant

Not the easiest read to me. I have skipped around and read what interested me most. However, tons of good information.
Anita
Top notch work to expose error in our Christian thinking. I highly recommend this book
Pam Ewert
a bit over my head, but fascinating. I will read again, think I will pick up more.
Jessica
An excellent!!! book. Such valuable insight and knowledge. I was definitely convinced.
Kerensa
Ooo- this one will take a while to read.
Patrick Sullivan
Easy reading and very informative.
Andalee
great read. Dense at times.
Matt Carpenter
There are some good elements to this book but overall it is not to be commended. The history of Babylonian worship is good, but the way he ties it to Roman Catholic worship (every jot and tittle) is poor logic. Using his logic, almost any practice, religious or non-religious can be shown to have pagan origins and therefore should be discouraged. Some of his points (particularly on Mary worship) make sense, but generally he is too over-the-top.
Richard
In "The Two Babylons", Bishop provided much valuable insight into the misleading teachings of Roman Catholicsm, but at the same time stupidly retained his trust in Sha'uwl of Tarsus. For that reason, I would not recommend this book to someone earnestly seeking the truth. Better would be to search for and read "Yada Yah" and "An Introduction to God".
Jason Johnston
Not the easiest book to read, very dry. But Hislop shows how ancient Babylonian religion crept into Christianity and created the Catholic Church, from nuns and monks to the Pope's crown and even the bogus deification of the Virgin Mary.
Daniel2
A fantastic read. Many indisputable elements, though erroneous at times: Some of the research is bad, but still the assertions must be assessed through reason, not on the character of the author or any other citation.

A little conspiratorial, but many of the dots shall connect if any reasonable man finds himself questioning the traditional dictates of Christianity as a whole.
Christopher Colegrove
Excellent expose of the connections between mother-goddess worship with child in various cultures and it's connection to the elevation and "devotion" to Mary as "queen of heaven" in modern times. Not completely factual, but mostly factual account. Main love of this book is the history going back to Nimrod (c. 2200 BC).
Joshua Foote
Good info

kinda dry I don't know if it's a format problem with the kindle book but chapters are hard to figure out
Northern K Sunderland
Aug 13, 2008 Northern K Sunderland rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Catholics, Theologians
Really amazing book. Follows the line of Catholocism's descent into the worship of ancient pagan gods, which in themselves were based on Nimrod.
It reads like a radio manual, and there are some misguided theories, but all in all a very interesting history lesson.
William Dicks
Another book on conspiracies and the like. Although I would like this book to be right about its assertions concerning the Roman Catholic church, it has now been shown that it is extremely inaccurate, and connections between "the two babylons" are actually strained.
Mustafa Al-Laylah
Odd anti-Papist comparative religious study that, if you're into worshiping the Whore and the Great Beast upon whom She rides, is actually very helpful and illuminating.
Larry
heavy reading; much of the research has been called into question and some of it discounted by modern scholarship. be careful, this book can lead to anti-catholicism
Dan
Interesting premises, but horrible research abounds throwing the conclusions into question. See http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14...
Ken
I could tell by the first few pages that the author does not like catholics. It has a lot of misinterpetations and a non sensical theme
Mary
This book is like WOOOOW. There is so much information crammed in this little book. I liked it although it creeped me out a lot.
Jay D
Laughable a-historical work. Nonsense
Mykul4life
One of my favorites of all time.
Steve
This book was written about a hundred years ago. It gives a remarkable expose on the heretical roots of Catholic tradition and Christian holidays. This book often turns out to be a source material in many other works dealing with similar subject matter. It is written in a flawless style with painstakingly arranged footnotes. Read this book carefully, it requires an above average degree of literacy.
Carla
The Two Babylons gave additional information to my studies, and was very accurate in providing evidence of pagan rites mixed with Traditional Christianity.
The Proverbs Of Scotland The Two Babylons: Or, the Papal Worship Proved to Be the Worship of Nimrod The Two Babylons (eBook) The Two Babylons: The Papal Worship Proved to Be the Worship of Nimrod and His Wife Los dos Babylons (The Two Babylons - Spanish Edition)