The Desire of Ages: A Classic on the Life of Christ

The Desire of Ages: A Classic on the Life of Christ

4.62 of 5 stars 4.62  ·  rating details  ·  582 ratings  ·  46 reviews
"The Desire of Ages," written by Ellen G. White, gives wonderful insight into the life Jesus Christ's vital ministry of salvation to planet earth. This devotional classic tells the life story of the greatest spiritual leader the world has ever known-Jesus Christ. It does not merely set down a series of remote events; it presents the meaning of them so vividly that you will...more
Published March 25th 2009 by Createspace (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about The Desire of Ages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Desire of Ages

joy in wonderland
Feb 21, 2009 joy in wonderland rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who want to know more about Jesus and find salvation
Recommended to joy in wonderland by: i think pastor doug
Shelves: classic-books
"one of best book ever there is in this world!"

i started reading this book... for about a year and have this battle, struggle and i cant just finish it--- (sigh) just the thought makes me sad, whenever i read each chapter... i kinda stop and reflect, there's so much to grasp in it---, i want to finish it & i would, the next thing you'll know i have it over my read shelf! :)

may God put strength and enlighten my mind with this wonderful book inspired and given by Him!

"In the hearts of...more
Joseph Lindsay
This is one of the most powerful books I have ever read! In fact the curator for religious books at the Library of Congress says that this is the best portrayal of the life of Jesus he has ever come across. Read it! If you don't have the time or money get it listen to the audio book http://vegemedia.net/audios/egw/mp3Li... Then buy it and read it. There is just so much to take in that you'll never get tired of going over it!
Christopher
The 3rd book in Ellen G. White's Conflict of the Ages series though actually published 2nd. The Desire of Ages takes us from the expectant hope of a Messiah, His birth and how the majority of Israel missed it, his life of ministry in teaching humanity who God is, His passion as he willingly laid down His life to pay the price of our redemption, and lastly his resurrection and ascension to the right hand of God's throne in heaven. No other book has so thoroughly and faithfully dealt with Jesus's...more
Jimin
The desire of ages is a book about God. This book gave us many means. This book said we should prepare for future of us by praying to God. This devotional classic tells the life story of the greatest spiritual leader the world has ever known—Jesus Christ. It does not merely set down a series of remote events; it presents the meaning of them so vividly that you will feel like you are an eyewitness to what is being described.

I would recommend this book a thousand times over. This book made me trul...more
Peach
I absolutely love this book. I read another version of this book called Man of Peace. It took me about two months to read because it was indeed lengthy. I would read as much chapters as I can daily as part of my devotions. It helped me grow spiritually and I also learned a lot. It tells the whole story of Jesus' human life but also sharing important lessons. I've learned to be patient, humble, and have a different outlook on my life. I definitely recommend this book:)
Steve
The version I read many years ago was called "The Desire of Ages". An amazingly great book. The search for truth never ends, and this is a great addition in the quest. My grandmother gave this to me when I was very young, and it sat among my books unread for over a decade. I promised her I would read it, and I will never regret keeping that promise.
Marna Hand
After the Bible, this book has been the most important book to me to getting close to Christ. You will absolutely get chills reading this book on the life of Christ, & you WILL have a deeper relationship with our Savior!
Jimmy Nyakora
The Life of Jesus through the eyes of a mother, wife, christian and servant of God.
The Love of God through His Son is so vividly depicted as to capture the imagination and the heart. Truly, God is Love!
Amy
My favorite all-time spiritual read aside from the source - the Bible. Reading this book is like jumping into a time machine and living the years of Christ's life. So thankful for this author.
Alexandria Lewis
I read this book once a year. The last time I visited the Library of Congress, I learned that they believe it to be one of the best books about the life of Christ, aside from the Bible.
Amanda
This is a lenghty book on the story of Jesus' short life and the lessons he taught. I loved the concept, but it isn't exactly light reading.
Dan Walker
This is the definitive story of the life of Christ. The author makes Jesus' life come alive in a story format that portrays Him as real in a very believable way. However the author does not gloss over the lessons that Jesus sought to bring home to the hearts of His listeners. They needed to make dramatic changes if their world was going to survive. Jesus wants us to apply those same lessons to our lives, and with the same urgency.

In fact, less than a generation later Jerusalem was destroyed viol...more
Robyn
I started reading this book around April 2005, took some breaks of setting it aside & then picking it up again. I *finally* finished it in March 5, 2014! It was a gift from some friends at the Seventh Day Adventist Church in Amarillo, after one of their "Prophecy Seminars" they hosted (with Leo Schreven [Am I spelling that right?] as the featured guest lecturer), which stirred my interest. I agree with one of the other reviews that states this book "isn't exactly light-reading". Sister Ellen...more
Dave
In my opinion, this book is the 5th best book ever written about the life of Christ. (After the four gospels, of course). I first read it in a New Testament class during my sophomore year in high school many years ago. It helped draw me closer to the central figure of my life. Ellen White wrote this book in the closing years of the 19th century, yet it is timeless. I could have easily rated this book 5 stars - wish there was a way to go 4-1/2 stars... I knocked it down one star because of the sc...more
Daniela
Un gran retrato de la vida de Jesús. Al leerlo paralelamente con los Evangelios encuentras esos paralelismos y esa extensión necesaria para conocerlo realmente. Hay pasajes que son sublimes, no solo por el contenido de ellos, sino por el estilo de escritura. Aunque es una lectura densa, vale cada día pasado. Cada párrafo es como una pequeña estructura que puede ser independiente por sí misma, al llevar, cada uno, la idea central del libro: dar a conocer a Jesús.
Darlene Roy
This is a great book on the life of Jesus - it takes the reader on a journey from his birth to his assension into heaven with the promise of his second coming. It is very in depth and you feel like you are there along with the disciples watching and learning. This book is also a deep read and it took me time to get through it but is was time well spent. I would reccomend this as a must read for anyone interested in the life of Jesus.
Phelicia Wyant
This is at least my third reading of this amazing book, and definitely a blessing every time I read it. No other book outside of the Holy Bible reveals to love of God for fallen mankind as well as this book. I was touched, amazed, and found myself weeping as I read of my Savior's great sacrifice for me. Read this book, fall in love with Jesus again or for the first time.
Terry
I have reread this book several times. Each time it inspires and reinforces my Christian experience. It is without doubt the best book written on the lied of Jesus Christ. If you read this book, it will change your life. This time I listened to an audio version called Humble Hero. It is available in mp3 format and free to download.
Debra Pigeon
Jul 23, 2008 Debra Pigeon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
A very good book about the life of Christ. I will re-read this book. It is better than the movie "the passion of the Christ". she deals with from how Christ was raised to how he got the victory in Gethsemane before the cross to His ascension, it exspounds on the Bible and shows the reader Christ in all His glory. Awesome.
Faith
I don't have the exact read start and finish dates on many books I have read this year. The dates are approximated, as I have been in & out of the hospital, and on bed rest, and read 2-5 books a day depending on the book & length and my ability to focus. All dates are approximated, by month.
Allen
Sep 07, 2007 Allen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all wanting to know God
This is the best book ever written. If you want to know God through His Son here is the place to start. If you love God this "biography" will deepen and settle your faith. God is love and He is the only real fulfillment of the "Desire of Ages."
Tunisia
May 21, 2007 Tunisia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a closer relationship with Jesus.
This is a great book for devotions, I would read the passages in the Bible first, then read the chapters in this book that went along with it. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to know Jesus better.
Elijah
Un gran libro, te da una perspectiva mucho mas amplia de cosas que sabes pero que no conoces por completo sobre Jesús y todo lo que hizo por nosotros. Sencillamente genial.
Jerry Mahn
I love this book - I read it every year. It's a beautiful telling of the life of Christ. Written over 100 years ago, this book stands the test of time.
Mark Deshay
Love this book! The author's perspective on the life of Christ is deep and insightful. Have read it multiple times and continue to enjoy.
Joe
I read The Desire of Ages, Ellen White's take on the life of Christ, a long time ago (1989). At the time it was one of my favorites.
Junior
heah its a inspirational book to read that has many values of our Savior in it that we have carefu;;y study and learn from it.
Tammy
This is a book about the life of Christ. I don't know how one can read it and not be affected in some way. Beautiful.
Tami
This has got to be one of my favorite books. It really makes you think about Jesus and all He must have gone though.
Aiossa's Senior 5...: Alyse Teschke book review #2 1 6 Oct 18, 2012 06:24PM
  • Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith
  • Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference?
  • محاورات افلاطون
  • Prepare for War
  • The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy & Mathematics from Albert Einstein to Stephen W. Hawking & from Annie Dillard to John Updike
  • And the Angels Were Silent
  • Can I Trust The Bible? (Crucial Questions, #2)
  • Know Your Bible: All 66 Books Explained and Applied
  • City on Our Knees
  • Who Really Cares: The Surprising Truth About Compasionate Conservatism Who Gives, Who Doesn't, and Why It Matters
  • The Gospel According to Jesus: What Is Authentic Faith?
  • Singer in the Snow
  • Diet Sehat Golongan Darah O
  • Federation
  • Japan (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • No Perfect People Allowed: Creating a Come as You Are Culture in the Church
  • The Signature of Jesus: The Call to a Life Marked by Holy Passion and Relentless Faith
  • Ezra Taft Benson: A Biography