Start by marking “Bring Down the Sun (Alexander the Great, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bring Down the Sun (Alexander the Great, #2)

Bring Down the Sun (Alexander the Great #2)

Ancient history and violent religious myth collide in this romantic fantasy-tinged biography of Myrtale, the imposing, powerful mother of Alexander the Great. Tarr opens with a weak segment on the queen's early days as Polyxena, an impossibly beautiful and rather childish acolyte of the Mother goddess. Once she seduces Philip of Macedon, who calls her Myrtale (crowned one) ...more
Published May 26th 2009 by Tor Books (first published May 27th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Bring Down the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bring Down the Sun

Morgan Dhu
May 04, 2016 Morgan Dhu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Judith Tarr writes wonderful historical fantasy. She takes real characters, places and times, and tells a story that builds on is known about them, imbuing the tale with the mystery of gods and magic.

In Bring Down the Sun, Tarr tells a story about Olympias (also known as Polyxena and Myrtale), the mother of Alexander the Great, following the outlines of her life as recorded by Plutarch, several centuries after her death. The magic enters the tale from the beginning, with the young Polyxena bein
Leila Anani
I was so excited when I discovered this. Olympias is once of my favourite characters from the world of Alexander and criminally overlooked - While she features in most novels about her son I can't think of another where she is the protagonist (I can think of 6 with his wife Roxanne as the heroine) but none with Olympias - one of the strongest female personalities of the Ancient world. So imagine my glee when I found this!

Sadly I was very disappointed. I was really annoyed at the way the characte
Aaron
Jul 23, 2008 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed Judith Tarr's books for a number of years. She has a talent for writing historical fiction. Some are pure historical works while others bring in a touch of a fantasy element to them.

This is her most recent book and focuses on the tale of Alexander the Great's mother Olypias. When the story starts, she is a priestess for the Mother, a traditional goddess of her people, and goes by the name of Polyxena. She is a princess and a niece of the current king of her land. Her aunt has a gr
Sharon
May 31, 2011 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
To attempt to write a biography of Alexander the Great's mother is to do so without having much, if any, factual information about her at your disposal as she lived so very long ago. Hence, Judith Tarr has taken the religious myths of the time and written a very fantasy-based account of the period of her life up until Alexander is born. Myrtale, as she becomes known, is a young priestess of the Goddess. The myth of the Mother or Goddess having powers to protect the earth from the dark forces has ...more
Pearl
May 12, 2012 Pearl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read Judith Tarr since I was a teenager, and I had very fond memories of her books being great historical fantasy romance novels, the kind geeky girls read for a little dirtiness. So when I came across this book I of course had high expectations of titillation. Unfortunately the only feeling I got was shock that the book was so bad. The book is about Polyxena, an acolyte of the Mother Goddess, who eventually becomes Olympia, the mother of Alexander the Great. Her sexual energy gives her ...more
Joy
Nov 19, 2008 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Judith Tarr although some of her reviews dis her writing style. She has to be a Goddess worshipper or at least a feminist.

Finally finish this short book and was very please. Appealing to Goddess Worshipers. Alexander the Great's Mother has often been turned into a wicked, harpy, witchy woman in both anime and other fantasy novels. This view is very much like "Moon Under Her Feet" where Olympias is a strong woman reared as a priestess in the Temple of the Mother and the equal to Alexander'
Clodagh
Jul 21, 2016 Clodagh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Read my review here.
Chantel Acevedo
A very slow start to this one. I like the idea of witchcraft and goddess worship in the ancient world, and think there's an appeal to pairing that with the mother of Alexander the Great. The protagonist is an interesting, at times creepy, young woman. Creepy in a good way, mind. There was something a little off with the perspective, which would jump here and there to other characters in a way that took me out of the story. Still, the book is a world I enjoyed being in for a little while, and it ...more
Rena Sherwood
Note to Judith Tarr: You are not Marion Zimmer-Bradley. Give it up.
Kate
Nov 26, 2008 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ancient historical fiction/fantasy/pagan fans
This was my first Judith Tarr book and I was a bit disappointed, I had really built her up and expected to adore this book - ancient Mother-goddess priestesses and naked witches flying on broomsticks - heck yeah! But her writing was nothing special and there was so little characterization that the protagonist was very hard to relate to. That said, I'll definitely read some of her other work as I can't say no to goddess magic stories, however ho-hum they may be.
Jill
Jan 14, 2012 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Judith Tar for some of the other hist fic that I've read. I grabbed this book at a sale, but wasn't sure what to exoect since its just over 200 pages. Any HF fans know that those books tend to be looong. This was a well written story, while a little codensed for my taste. I liked the imperfect heroine, who fully recognized her flaws and also the way the setting and background was so beautifully described. The land itself took on a magical air.
Barbara Ell
She was the wife of Philip, and mother of Alexander the Great. Her father was a king and her sister a great queen. There are rumors and legends about her. Judith Tarr spins these legends into a fantastic tale of Polyxenia's life, from being an accolade to the Mother goddess to her marriage to Philip. It stops just short of Alexander's birth.

It is a short novel and brings a bit of fantasy into the historical knowledge of what we know of Polyxena.
Vicky
Nov 06, 2008 Vicky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was not the best book by Judith Tarr, she is the only fantasy writer that I like. This one did not touch anything in me. The previous one "Queen of the amazons was much better", not to mention my favourite ones such as “Daughter of Lir" and "White mare's daughter".
Kristyn Jensen
Jan 09, 2011 Kristyn Jensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a good story. I loved the fantasy and magic associated with the story. My only complaint was it was too short. Tarr writes women so beautifully making them stand out against the whole and this was no different. I just wanted more of these characters. It was very similar to Marion zimmer Bradley, a favorite of mine.
Salimbol
Apr 26, 2012 Salimbol rated it liked it
A disappointing prequel to one of my favourite Tarr books, Lord of the Two Lands, in which her prose, though lyrical as always, is frequently impenetrable and circular, and for me the characters never really came to life. Still, a quick read, and even sub-par Tarr is better than many authors' best!
Rachel Swords
Fans of Marion Zimmer Bradley's 'Avalon' books should enjoy this look at Alexander the Great's mother, as much of the story deals with magic and religion. There isn't as much dialogue, though, and it serves for a quick but likable read.
Alicia
Jan 24, 2010 Alicia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The lyrical prose you expect from Tarr, but most of the characters remained oddly 2-dimensional. As did the world of ancient Greece, which was a bummer.
Helen
Oct 24, 2011 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Give me that real old time religion with a hefty dose of intrigue.
Princess Cinnamoroll
Jul 18, 2016 Princess Cinnamoroll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-reads
Such gorgeous prose!
Lynn Calvin
Amazon received
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Giulia Stringari
Giulia Stringari marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Colin Dijkgraaf
Colin Dijkgraaf marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Adrian Hollomon
Adrian Hollomon rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Bradley Wees
Bradley Wees rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Francesca
Francesca marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Melody Salsbury
Melody Salsbury marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
  • Moon in the Mirror (Tess Noncoire #2)
  • Memnon
  • A Guide to Folktales in Fragile Dialects
  • At the Palaces of Knossos
  • Seer of Egypt (The King's Man, #2)
  • Great Sky Woman (Great Sky Woman, #1)
  • The Witches' Kitchen (The Life and Times of Corban Loosestrife, #2)
  • Black Ships (Numinous World, #1)
  • The Cosmic War: Interplanetary Warfare, Modern Physics, and Ancient Texts
  • The Lute Player
  • Living with Ghosts
  • The Lion Wakes (Kingdom Series, #1)
  • The Ninth Circle
  • Dream Weaver
  • The Mayan Code: Time Acceleration and Awakening the World Mind
  • E.T. Chronicles: What Myths and Legends Tell Us about Human Origins
  • The Starving Artist's Way: Easy Projects for Low-Budget Living
  • King of Ithaca (Adventures of Odysseus, #1)
AKA Caitlin Brennan, Kathleen Bryan.

Judith Tarr (born 1955) is an American author, best known for her fantasy books. She received her B.A. in Latin and English from Mount Holyoke College in 1976, and has an M.A. in Classics from Cambridge University, and an M.A. and Ph.D. in Medieval Studies from Yale University. She taught Latin and writing at Wesleyan University from 1988-1992, and taught at the
More about Judith Tarr...

Alexander the Great (2 books)
  • Queen of the Amazons (Alexander the Great, #1)