Start by marking “The Oxford Book of English Verse, 1250-1918” as Want to Read:
The Oxford Book of English Verse, 1250-1918

The Oxford Book of English Verse, 1250-1918

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The Oxford Book of English Verse was first published in 1900 and it initiated the famous series of Oxford Books that has been running ever since. It quickly established itself as a classic anthology, equal to Palgrave's Golden Treasury in popularity and public recognition. Having sold half a million copies in 21 impressions, a second edition appeared in 1939, extending the ...more
Published March 26th 1963 by Oxford University Press (first published 1900)

To ask other readers questions about The Oxford Book of English Verse, 1250-1918, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oxford Book of English Verse, 1250-1918

A World of Possibility by Christopher  ShieldsA World of Romance by Christopher  ShieldsStories and Scripts by Zack LoveThe Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol 1 by M.H. AbramsUnsavory Elements by Tom  Carter
Anthologies
24th out of 251 books — 137 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Notebook by Nicholas SparksThe Jungle Book by Rudyard KiplingOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotThe Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
Books With 'Book' In The Title
59th out of 375 books — 54 voters

More lists with this book...

Christina
For fans of 'Rumpole of the Bailey,' this is the poetry anthology Rumpole cherishes. It is a wonderful collection of English verse. When this was published, the label "English verse" was often interpreted to include American poetry. Hence, American poets are included here. I have to admit, though, that I bought this to have easy access to Rumpole's favorite works by Tennyson, Wordsworth, and all the other British masters. It is a fun volume! I can open it to any page and find great poetry.
Jon Corelis
Still a pleasure to read through

When The Oxford Book of English Verse by A. T. Quiller-Couch appeared in 1900, Punch recommended it as "a most useful book for those who, being not 'unaccustomed to public speaking' and loving to embellish their flow of language with quotations from poets whose works they have never read ... are only too grateful to any well-read collector placing so excellent a store as this at their service," and predicted that because those who owned his anthology would be spar
Zanib  Sajjad
This book was full of so much breath taking joy. Sadly, Ozimandias was not in here, but it's writer was, so that problem cancels out. Found many new poets and poetry that really gave me a new light to see from. I would recommend to those who like a slice of beautiful literature every now and a while (by no means did I read every single line of poetry in here, that's not what this compilation is for).
Jeff Crompton
I have a nice copy of the 1939 edition of this collection. All of the poems are not to my taste, but that hardly matters - this is a monument as much as it is a book. And if I open it to a poem which doesn't move me, I can be sure that the next poem will. Here's an example of a wonderful poem I found in the Oxford anthology:

Finis - Walter Savage Landor

I strove with none, for none was worth my strife.
Nature I loved and, next to Nature, Art:
I warm'd both hands before the fire of life;
It sinks, and
Tonya
I have read several oxford anthologies. Loved them all.
Brian Robbins
I love this book in it's yellow(!) cover. The whole feel and set-up of the book - size, texture of paper, font used is a pleasure. Not all of the poems are such a delight, and the selection in Gardner's new version is better, but there is so much wonderful stuff in this book. In some sense it embodies English Poetry - it might be the one for that desert island. It's a sort of safe Teddy Bear kind of poetry book, comfort food, although not all of it by any means.
Richard Van den broek
This book has some of my all time favourite poems in. It is a brilliant book, well worth investing in, it has most of the good poems thus far created in it's pages. I spent last week reading it at the tops of mountains, it was amazing!
"Poetry is the breath and finer spirit of all knowledge." William Wordsworth
"Poetry is the rhythmical creation of beauty in words." Edgar Allan Poe
Jitske
A magnificent collection of a wide variety of poetry. I consider it a treat - And if you value poetry for what it's worth there must be something to your liking hidden inside this volume, just waiting for you to find it.
Michael Jones
I'll probably be "currently-reading" this till I step into glory. But I appreciate such an informed collection when there is such a vast number of poets and poetry.
Danielle
I am reading this, slowly, with my children at the breakfast table. We are really enjoying re-reading some selections, and adding new poems every week.
Ainsley
If I could be stuck with a few books on a desert island, this would be one of them. Very high level of re-readability.
Garth
This is my bible. Thank you Rumpole of the Bailey!!
Kathryn
My favorite collection of poetry.
Nanette
Nanette is currently reading it
Oct 23, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Sylwia
Sylwia marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
C
C marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Robopuppy
Robopuppy marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Lindsay Z
Lindsay Z marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Alan Gongora
Alan Gongora marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Laura added it
Aug 24, 2014
Ryan A.
Ryan A. marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
D
D marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Elisa Rudolph
Elisa Rudolph marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Mergitë
Mergitë marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
  • The Oxford Book of English Verse
  • The Collected Poems
  • Far Away and Long Ago
  • The Brendan Voyage: A Leather Boat Tracks the Discovery of America by the Irish Sailor Saints
  • The New Oxford Book of English Verse, 1250–1950
  • Bulfinch's Mythology: The Age of Chivalry/Legends of Charlemagne
  • The Poems of Gerard Manley Hopkins
  • Poems of Akhmatova
  • Palgrave's Golden Treasury
  • Poems
  • How the Heather Looks: A Joyous Journey to the British Sources of Children's Books
  • The Mentor Book of Major American Poets
  • The Ballad of the White Horse
  • The Minister's Wooing
  • Ounce Dice Trice
  • Passing Through: The Later Poems, New and Selected
  • The George MacDonald Treasury
  • A Dictionary of Superstitions
Sir Arthur Thomas Quiller-Couch was a Cornish writer, who published under the pen name of Q. He is primarily remembered for the monumental "Oxford Book of English Verse 1250-1900" (later extended to 1918), and for his literary criticism. He guided the taste of many who never met him, including American writer Helene Hanff, author of 84 Charing Cross Road, its sequel, Q's Legacy, and the putatively ...more
More about Arthur Quiller-Couch...
On the Art of Writing On The Art Of Reading The Oxford Book of Ballads Beauty and the beast: And other classic fairy tales from the old French The Oxford Book of English Verse, 1250-1900